• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the gameplay videos I've watched, the majority of the encounters seem to be player vs bots, which doesn't seem like that much fun to me.

Do the people who got to play the beta feel the same way?

wwm0nkey

In the gameplay videos I've watched, the majority of the encounters seem to be player vs bots, which doesn't seem like to much fun to me.

Do the people who got to play the beta feel the same way?
Its like LoL or DoTA. Bots are there to fill up your Titan meter and you get the occasional player too which REALLY fills up that meter. To me it is not hard at all to find another player after sweeping up a few bots and learning the maps. When Titans show up the battles shift to where they are and most of the real people will be there.

Also check the roofs too, lots of people like to go up there first. You should get around 10 to 12 player kills per game after the game starts clicking.

Mistel

Banned
My outside looking in perspective is like some of you have pointed out it lacks depth and the bots just aren't smart enough to be a challenge. It just looks like it's got no long term appeal to the multiplayer itself which is all that it is. I mean the movement and the wall stuff is interesting, just not enough to move me to purchase it.

Blueblur1

I do have fun playing it. I just worry about its longevity.

1. No ranking system
2. Doesn't seem to have any system to getting 'quality' MM games. So you just pubstomp bad kids forever. I've lost two matches so far and it was solely because the other 4 players on our team did terrible. With a solid 6 I wouldn't have lost a game yet out of ~30.
3. Unlock system seems a little simple and unnecessary, People are probably going to hit max and unlock everything relatively quickly if you can hit 14 in 2 hours.
4. No spectator mode, no theater, no forge. Means its probably not going to go far competitively
5. No campaign

I'm worrying about this game IMO. Hopefully they release TONS of DLC maps and additional weapons/titans. Cause without new content I see it getting old real fast.

I agree with you on all of these points. The game is fun but this little depth to it. Its just a lot of running, jumping and gunning. The mobility is fun but its not enough. I've had the beta for less than 12 hours and I'm already a little bored. I'm taking a break now because it became monotonous.

The stats are really nice. 343, take notes.

I really love the amount of stats they show you. It goes way beyond anything that's ever been offered in-game in the Halo series. That is one thing I would love to see 343 implement in their future games.

This is my concern with Titanfall as well. The game looks fun, but there's not much variety. How long will it stay interesting?

While some of those features are important no doubt, I feel like people overrate them. At least for me personally, if a game is fun to play I'll keep coming back regardless of what investment systems the game has in place.

Of course I'm not saying well designed investment systems can't enhance your experience, but if the game is fun I'll play it, if it's not then investment systems aren't going to save it.

While some of those features are important no doubt, I feel like people overrate them. At least for me personally, if a game is fun to play I'll keep coming back regardless of what investment systems the game has in place.

Of course I'm not saying well designed investment systems can't enhance your experience, but if the game is fun I'll play it, if it's not then investment systems aren't going to save it.

I feel like people underrate them imo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The movement is what's keeping me playing Titanfall.

And yeah there are way too many bots. So many instances where I've entered an area and I see my bot and an enemy bot literally standing next to each other. Horrific AI.

The movement is what's keeping me playing Titanfall.

And yeah there are way too many bots. So many instances where I've entered an area and I see my bot and an enemy bot literally standing next to each other. Horrific AI.

I think they did it that way on purpose but it is a bit extreme lol.

Mistel

Banned
Really not grasping how Halo 4 somehow handholds a considerable amount more than Titanfall...
"This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System" is probably your answer :p. Speedy is the resident MS PR for gaf lol.

Are the bot's really that stupid? I mean they look it but still...

"This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System" is probably your answer :p. Speedy is the resident MS PR for gaf lol.

They are, the thing i dont like is that if you kill one it counts towards the score. So if its team deathmatch then killing those minions will add to the score and you can win that way. Its not a game that is competitive,just to have mindless fun like COD.

wwm0nkey

Again, they are only there for Titan Fuel like a MOBA game. Don't understand how people don't grasp this yet after playing a few rounds. If all those bots were replaced with real people it would be awful and you wouldn't be able to go anywhere, if they weren't there then the maps would be baren. Right now they serve to fuel your Titan and make the maps seem more eventful. Them being there and being dumb goes along with the game just fine.

They need the maps to be big for Titans too so the "shrink maps for more people" stuff won't work either.

Omni

My outside looking in perspective is like some of you have pointed out it lacks depth and the bots just aren't smart enough to be a challenge. It just looks like it's got no long term appeal to the multiplayer itself which is all that it is. I mean the movement and the wall stuff is interesting, just not enough to move me to purchase it.
Yeah, I feel about the same regarding the game. I guess we'll know for certain when it finally releases, but from what I've seen so far, I don't expect it to retain a lot of players.

Certainly is interesting how much hype it's getting on the net though. In real life I haven't heard anyone mention it

Needs more self-awareness.

Of course they're stupid. Developers are relying on the Cloud service for the XB1 to have the A.I. learn, improve, and even adapt your friends play styles while your buddies are offline.

Advanced AI even allows your friends to play against your shadow when you’re not available. With Xbox One, the game never stops.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/multiplayer

IHaveIce

Banned
How long till people understand that the bots are like the minions in LoL? They are to feed yourselve to get points to get your titan faster and they also try to secure areas around objectives and push for them (like minions attacking towers in LoL)

Them being super AI players would go against their purpose.

And I never saw two opposing bots just standing next to each other, they shoot and even melee and execute others.

Game is insane fun, probably the most fun I had with a MP FPS for a long time.

And no I don't want anything of Titanfall in Halo, Titanfall is its own kind of shooter.

wwm0nkey

How long till people understand that the bots are like the minions in LoL? They are to feed yourselve to get points to get your titan faster and they also try to secure areas around objectives and push for them (like minions attacking towers in LoL)

And I never saw two opposing bots just standing next to each other, they shoot and even melee and execute others.

And no I don't want anything of Titanfall in Halo, Titanfall is its own kind of shooter.
Can we be friends?

JohnyRL

Banned
Again, they are only there for Titan Fuel like a MOBA game. Don't understand how people don't grasp this yet after playing a few rounds. If all those bots were replaced with real people it would be awful and you wouldn't be able to go anywhere, if they weren't there then the maps would be baren. Right now they serve to fuel your Titan and make the maps seem more eventful. Them being there and being dumb goes along with the game just fine.

They need the maps to be big for Titans too so the "shrink maps for more people" stuff won't work either.

Very few people are asking that they upgrade them to the competence level of actual players or to a level anything above MOBA-minion-tier.

The problem is they're ridiculously dumb.
They stand around next to each other without attacking.
You stare them dead in their eyes at times and they don't give a shit.

The AI is bad. We don't necessarily want their traits to be more conducive to real-player-difficulty, we just want them to be less shitheaded.

derFeef

You win.

Also here is a McFarlane Master Chief prototype:
I think the poncho dried early or something... it's huuuge.

BgnoPOHCAAEvux4.jpg

OUT WITH YOU, ZEOUTERLIMITS!

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/url-17.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
NEVER! \o/ I AM EVERTLASTING!

Shame that my Titan is not.
[quote="derFeef, post: 101056733"]Okay :([/QUOTE]
Guilt is beyond my darkened heart!

... oh alright :
[IMG]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/2168257/jackie-get-in-the-van-o.gif

Nebula

I hope we can spawn with the BoltShot and it still has one hit capabilities.

:|

Also fuck teams of 6+ running BTB. Fuck them all.
Sorry Ozzy

Mistel

Banned
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgnoPOHCAAEvux4.jpg[/IMG]
A ridiculous poncho and a boltshot when will our suffering end...

Yeah, I feel about the same regarding the game. I guess we'll know for certain when it finally releases, but from what I've seen so far, I don't expect it to retain a lot of players.

Certainly is interesting how much hype it's getting on the net though. In real life I haven't heard anyone mention it
Neither do I really especially if people are getting bored of it already. I too have not heard a single mention of it, which is surprising given its popularity here and the praise it has in the impression threads. Maybe I'm just blind but none of it seems fun.

Totally with you Nebula, on the team thing.

Madness

You're in for a rude awakening if you expect them to not include the forerunner weapons in Halo 5.

Not necessarily. I mean these weapons were found on Requiem, and were used by the Prometheans. There's no reason to believe they'll be found elsewhere. We still don't know what 343 have planned, whether the Flood/Brutes will take over next game as the enemies, they said it's no longer focused as another trilogy, but a larger saga. So who knows.

I don't necessarily have any problem with them, but many of the weapons were just poor. Boltshot, incineration cannon, binary rifle, pulse grenade. Others were just redundant.

daedalius

Boltshot would be slightly less awful if it wasn't a loadout weapon.

It was always fun getting kills with the brute shotgun in h3 after all

JohnyRL

Banned
Boltshot would be slightly less awful if it wasn't a loadout weapon.

It was always fun getting kills with the brute shotgun in h3 after all

The thought that it may not be a loadout weapon never crossed my mind.
That's kind of hope, right guys? A boltshot that spawns
in personal ordnance, global ordnance or ordnance
on the map?

Booties

Banned
I'm ripping like 20 kills a game right now. The population in TS is so bad right now.

I also finally went back to default after about 6 years of bumper jumper. Feels weird, but all the COD I've been playing lately made the transition a lot easier. Jetpack here I come.

FyreWulff

Ha ha. Just found out I've had a Titanfall Xbox One beta code for the past two days, buried in my spam folder. Because I set up a gmail filter an age ago that searched for a certain string looking to see if the email was a twitter update email, mark the email as read, then have it skip my inbox.. and the beta code email happened to match it.

... but I signed up for the PC one, so gg EA

Nebula

I'm ripping like 20 kills a game right now. The population in TS is so bad right now.

I also finally went back to default after about 6 years of bumper jumper. Feels weird, but all the COD I've been playing lately made the transition a lot easier. Jetpack here I come.

I would say something but I've been playing a ton of Halo 4 lately.

I hope it wasn't Ghosts.

Mistel

Banned
He looks like an obese monk.
If only we had sexy nuns:
tumblr_mde6z6y2Qh1rrfi85o1_r1_500.gif

Instead of obese monks.

The bolt shot is the definition of cheap and easy, with the range it has for the secondary attack along with several other components such as the perks and AA that have no place in balanced gameplay. It has no place in halo, not that any additions made by 343 have.

The mauler needed two shots to kill? And it had a far less of a range than the boltshot to boot.

Booties

Banned
I would say something but I've been playing a ton of Halo 4 lately.

I hope it wasn't Ghosts.

Oh it was ghosts. I changed my control scheme though so I crouch with the R3. It's similar to Halo 4's default scheme.

I'm also being paired up against people with negative KDRs. This is weird. Mine is 1.5 and I'm level 130. Not sure why I'm getting so many scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom