• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscured

I got an xbox code and then they immediately opened it up to everyone. But at least I get to try it on PC as well, mostly curious how it compares.

Also I am not disillusioned about Halo and would really like to hear some real things about what is happening next.

Karl2177

PC is opening up too

Zampella says otherwise.
LZ5pWaL.png

EDIT: I see his page says that it'll open up tomorrow.

Ghazi

I love Titanfall beta but thank God Halo doesn't have ADS, fuck

That's one of the things that keeps pulling me back to Halo, ADS is so arbitrary in most other games and I hate it. I hate how homogeneous and standard it's become.

However, I can barely play Halo 4 because the aim assist is so much it actually screws up my aiming (I also prefer playing what little Black Ops 2 I play, without Aim Assist) and it's screwed up my aiming in 3 and Reach trying to compensate for it in 4.

So frustrating.

Obscured

Zampella says otherwise.
LZ5pWaL.png

EDIT: I see his page says that it'll open up tomorrow.

Oh, that's too bad. I thought they were opening up the PC too. I'm going Xbox anyway, but I was curious how PC compared.

Just going through the tutorial now and I really like how the movement feels. The double jump is how I felt jetpack should have been handled in reach and 4.

ElRenoRaven

Oh, that's too bad. I thought they were opening up the PC too. I'm going Xbox anyway, but I was curious how PC compared.

Just going through the tutorial now and I really like how the movement feels. The double jump is how I felt jetpack should have been handled in reach and 4.

It's actually not bad. I got into both. PC is a bit buggier but plays just as good with a 360 controller.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, a lot of people are clamoring for ADS in Halo, just like many wanted sprint. Now you have people actually complain if you bring up removing sprint from Halo, so who knows.

Half of weapons in Halo don't have any sort ironsights, people who want ADS in standard Halo are idiots.
If we talk about a side-game, something like ODST but more tactical (like first person Ghost Recon or something like that) then ADS might work (and using Covie weapons would be... impractical, they're after all heavy and large* and lack ironsights**)

*Seriously, check how big a plasma rifle is. Or even the plasma pistol.

**How do the Covies actually aim their weapons? The Elites and Brutes presumably have some sort HUD and their weapons smart-linked to it but what about the others? Of course, their tactics are bad and their equipment is not used for its full potential. If all the Grunts were equipped with even just basic energy shielding, i reckon the Covies would win much more often against humans...

Dub117

Eh, a lot of people are clamoring for ADS in Halo, just like many wanted sprint. Now you have people actually complain if you bring up removing sprint from Halo, so who knows.
This and what ghazi said.
i don't know how to quote twice
It is halo and it shouldn't have ADS. Ill be so mad if they put it in. It is my favorite part of Halo, as i suck at twitch shooters with ADS but i can hold my own in halo. Not great but positive K/D at least instead of getting owned. Halo, be yourself.

Edit: okay my favorite part of Halo is the story, but what i like best about the multi is no ADS

Thank you woorloog that is exactly what i needed to know, and i agree completely

Woorloog

Banned
Hey now.
I find the concept of ADS in Halo silly too but come on.

ADS does not work in standard Halo, it changes it to something else, to something that is not Halo. Sprint and other things, while having their own problems, do not change the game as fundamentally (they do change the flow of the game a lot though, but they don't change shooting things).

The whole concept is too often forced on games, and too often it doesn't actually add anything to the game. ADS works wonderfully in more... "realistic" games but otherwise... meh.

This and what ghazi said.
i don't know how to quote twice
Use the small plus sign next to quote to multi-quote, or do things the hard way: open multiple reply tabs and copy-paste what you want, where you want.

JohnyRL

Banned
ADS does not work in standard Halo, it changes it to something else, to something that is not Halo. Sprint and other things, while having their own problems, do not change the game as fundamentally (they do change the flow of the game a lot though, but they don't change shooting things).

The whole concept is too often forced on games, and too often it doesn't actually add anything to the game. ADS works wonderfully in more... "realistic" games but otherwise... meh.

And I totally agree with you.
Someone who doesn't shouldn't be branded as an idiot though.

Woorloog

Banned
And I totally agree with you.
Someone who doesn't shouldn't be branded as an idiot though.

Well, they're idiots if their reason for wanting it is "all other games have it", or "no ADS is old-fashioned", or some other shit like that. If they have actual, well thought out reason, and manage to explain how it would work in Halo and not break the core gameplay, i won't call them idiots. I've yet to see any of the latter though.

JohnyRL

Banned

Use the small plus sign next to quote to multi-quote, or do things the hard way: open multiple reply tabs and copy-paste what you want, where you want.

Well, they're idiots if their reason for wanting it is "all other games have it", or "no ADS is old-fashioned", or some other shit like that. If they have actual, well thought out reason, and manage to explain how it would work in Halo and not break the core gameplay, i won't call them idiots. I've yet to see any of the latter though.
Those certainly wouldn't be rational stances as far as I am concerned. They're not necessarily, however, the views of an idiot. Throwing around insults isn't cool. There are a large number of people with just such opinions and It doesn't ride well to dismiss them all as mentally defective because of something you perceive to be nonsensical.

Woorloog

Banned
Those certainly wouldn't be rational decisions as far as I am concerned. They're not necessarily, however, the decisions of an idiot. Throwing around insults isn't cool. There are a large number of people with just such opinions and It doesn't ride well to dismiss them all as mentally defective because of something you perceive to be nonsensical.

You got a friend who wants ADS to Halo, or why do you take this so personally?

JohnyRL

Banned
You got a friend who wants ADS to Halo, or why do you take this so personally?
Not exposed to too many people who enjoy gaming where I'm from, so no. The odd few would probably fall under the 'idiotic' bracket though.
I wouldn't say I'm taking it personally at all.
I'm just kind of saying.

Genuinely sorry if the expression of my viewpoint was unneeded or uncalled for.

Booshka

Aim Down Sights is one of the biggest problems with FPS, it slows down the game, marginalizes player skill and is an excuse to dumb down the genre overall. FPS games with ADS and trivial shooting mechanics (no recoil, muzzle climb, etc) is an absolute joke. Halo 4 is barely Halo, but Halo with ADS might as well be another CoD/soon to be Titanfall knockoff.

You have a gun and a crosshair, move and shoot. Not, hold left trigger then hold right trigger.

Ghazi

Not having ADS mechanics was literally the only reason I stuck with Halo 4 as long as I did.

Exactly. That's just one of the core things I love about Halo, it's so important to me and it's why I have problems enjoying ADS games because of my dislike for the mechanic. Even crazier is that for the weapons that have ADS (Sniper, DMR, BR, etc.) it works amazingly well.

Woorloog

Banned
Not exposed to too many people who enjoy gaming where I'm from, so no. The odd few would probably fall under the 'idiotic' bracket though.
I wouldn't say I'm taking it personally at all.
I'm just kind of saying.

Genuinely sorry if the expression of my viewpoint was unneeded or uncalled for.

Just don't bother trying to stop me from calling people idiots. It would be an exercise of futility.
And for the record, i use the term when i think people are not thinking things through or trying to even understand what they're talking about, not to imply they are actually "mentally defective", as you put it. Just like most people.

Aim Down Sights is one of the biggest problems with FPS, it slows down the game, marginalizes player skill and is an excuse to dumb down the genre overall. FPS games with ADS and trivial shooting mechanics (no recoil, muzzle climb, etc) is an absolute joke. Halo 4 is barely Halo, but Halo with ADS might as well be another CoD/soon to be Titanfall knockoff.

You have a gun and a crosshair, move and shoot. Not, hold left trigger then hold right trigger.

Indeed. Put ADS in a game with (more) realistic weapon handling and it works just fine. Like mil-sims, in theory anyway... (do newer ARMA feature ADS as most games implement it?)

FyreWulff

Oh wow so Halo 3 aimbot is a real thing. I cant believe it.

I am loving returning to Halo 3, but im shocked aimbot is now a thing.

That's been around since like 2008, maybe 2009.

You can get away with it for longer now since there's no active manual banning anymore for Halo 3

All modders do is give themselves massive bullet magnetism and the engine does the rest

Omni

Neutral flag on Valhalla. Scores are 4 all and the game resets everyone back to default spawns after a host change.

I immediately run for the flag on spawn. I'm about 6 foot away from flag and no one from the enemy team was even close. Just as I'm about to pick up, my [inexperienced] teammate sticks me with a grenade, betraying me. Enemy team comes and takes flag to win.

Usually I won't swear in real life... But my god. The frustration. It overcome me and I yelled at my teammate through the mic... Only to discover it was a kid :( . I felt so bad. Needless to say I've turned my mic off...

Woorloog

Banned
Wahrer rules fuck the haters.

I don't hate him, i don't think there's been a single HaloGAFer i hate (ones who got permabanned got banned before i got to know them). He is kind of crazy, in the good way.
His Dyson sphere threads are especially interesting.

That's been around since like 2008, maybe 2009.

You can get away with it for longer now since there's no active manual banning anymore for Halo 3

All modders do is give themselves massive bullet magnetism and the engine does the rest

I played loads up until about 2012 and didn't notice an aimbot. I guess its open season for hacking now that its no longer really supported though. I guess it kept it hidden that people didn't telegraph it in the same way the idiots using it today did. Funnily enough the guys on the hackers team deranked, probably because of how cocky they sounded so I won 2 games in a row against them lol.

But yeah, according to Raptr I played 120 hours of Halo 3 in 2012, which is significantly less than I think I played in the years previous to that. In 2013 I played a total of 15 hours, which completely surprises me. I think I have played more Halo 3 in 2014 than I did in the entirety of 2013 already lol.

GODDAMMIT! I was an idiot and redeemed my code only to realize it was an xb1 code....i dont even have a goddamn xb1 sorry kids.

really want a pc code if anyone has any?

Ghazi

GODDAMMIT! I was an idiot and redeemed my code only to realize it was an xb1 code....i dont even have a goddamn xb1 sorry kids.

really want a pc code if anyone has any?

It's alright, it's open publicly on the Xbox 1 now, anyway. It'll be going open sometime soon for PC, as well.

Also, how did you think you'd redeem a PC code for Origin... on the Xbox website/console? lol

Ghazi

origin has a redeem section.

I thought Origin wasn't tied to the console ver. at all, because you didn't need an Origin account to register for the beta on the website. That's cool if you can redeem XB1 codes on Origin PC/website though. Or wait, is there an Origin app for Xbone?

I thought Origin wasn't tied to the console ver. at all, because you didn't need an Origin account to register for the beta on the website. That's cool if you can redeem XB1 codes on Origin PC/website though. Or wait, is there an Origin app for Xbone?
my fault, i read your post wrong.

It's alright, it's open publicly on the Xbox 1 now, anyway. It'll be going open sometime soon for PC, as well.

Also, how did you think you'd redeem a PC code for Origin... on the Xbox website/console? lol

in my excitement just entered everything quickly. basically stupidity was a key component in what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom