• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Fyrewulff's tweet from earlier...

The Arbiter, our current Arbiter, Vadam now looks like this :

Thel_2558.png

From Halo Escalation.

I'm not a huge fan of the helmet, but everything else looks alright. I'd have liked it in a darker metallic tone, akin to the bronze from Halo 3, but I'm sure it will look good in game. Right?

Heh.

Also, I would never, EVER get a Halo tattoo. I love the series but... not enough for it to be embedded forever on my skin. Yeesh.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah. Don't really know why, but it makes him look like a skeleton to me.

Arbiter's does look a bit thin especially with the exposed arms with the wrong skin color.

Wouldn't he keep the halo 3 armor and make a new set out of it in a pre covenant armor style to show the triumph against oppression of the prophets.

Thel_2558.png

From Halo Escalation.

For the most part, that armor would look fine... on a Halo 3 Elite. The forearms are way too small in comparison to the rest of the body. For belonging to a race of landshark beastmen from hell, he doesn't look very swole. Little to arm armor and the weird skin texture on the arms don't help. The headpiece is a little too ceremonial-looking for me, too. I'd rather someone like the Arbiter have a more practical helmet where he could actually emote rather than looking perpetually evil. The fact that his chest crest / shoulder pauldron got simplified is depressing, too. I don't mind the cape. Having armor on his two fingers but not his two thumbs is weird. A silvery armor with a minute gold finish instead of all gold would be nice, too.

The Ascetics are alright but look like stills from Genndy Tartakovsky's Crackdown series, though.

Can you do vector work? At the moment I/we are leaning towards Halo art as mostly vector but some raster based stuff for characters/objects etc and then animating it with a music overlay. I think a video presentation with accompanying PDF could be a real winner.

Of course I'm open to suggestions.
I was just going to mess around with Excel and see if anything cool could be done with the data using it, and seeing what options Office 2013 has built in for animation.

Are you talking the data graphics or the rest of the video? I can do some vector but I'm definitely more comfortable with raster stuff.

Edit: It would be interesting to see a 3D model of that new Arbiter armor since that artist is so iffy it's hard to tell if it's the design that's wonky or the way it was drawn.

Well if he ever gets tired of it he can just grow his hair out. That's the only + to that spot.

Except it'll look like he has a permanent melanoma on the top of his head if he ever gets a bald spot. Or, his hairline will recede and he will have NOBLE tattooed on his forehead.

Mistel

Banned
Except it'll look like he has a permanent melanoma on the top of his head if he ever gets a bald spot. Or, his hairline will recede and he will have NOBLE tattooed on his forehead.

Maybe he could get carter done as well and go bald as a final sacrifice for halogaf.

You're alright funkown :p

Ghazi

I hope 343i does a Halo 2 now and has us switch between protagonists in Halo 5. Also, I would like the Arbiter in H5.

Of course this literally means we'd be forced to play as Palmer as well, and you see how much she talks in cutscenes.

Chief, Arbiter, Spartan Thorne
I don't know how I feel about this.

I hope 343i does a Halo 2 now and has us switch between protagonists in Halo 5. Also, I would like the Arbiter in H5.

Of course this literally means we'd be forced to play as Palmer as well, and you see how much she talks in cutscenes.

Without Halo 2's campaign, not as many people would hold the same affinity towards the Elites as they do today. I loved how we got to change roles in that game.

From Halo Escalation.
I flipped through the book at work yesterday, and I'm sorry, but the beauty and wonders of the Halo universe deserves better art than this. The story could be amazing, but comic books are a visual medium and bad art can pull you right out of the entire thing. Stick to novels if you can't get some decent artists.

Will hold off judgment on the Arbiter design until I see it drawn by a better artist, or, hopefully rendered in Halo 5.

I flipped through the book at work yesterday, and I'm sorry, but the beauty and wonders of the Halo universe deserves better art than this. The story could be amazing, but comic books are a visual medium and bad art can pull you right out of the entire thing. Stick to novels if you can't get some decent artists.

Will hold off judgment on the Arbiter design until I see it drawn by a better artist, or, hopefully rendered in Halo 5.

Palmer got a vag plate because reasons and I found kinda dumb her smaller size compared to the other male spartans, we know she is a woman but come on.

Mistel

Banned

In respect to the better artist thing I think 343 couldn't do worse that with, leviathan who did the comic about jun his drawing saw very well done much higher that the quality here.

I'll edit in a picture for comparison.

Mistel

Banned
Reminds me of this:
20070118042639!Gold_Elite.JPG

Also that bastard elite on silent cartographer who stabs you in the back when you exit from underground on your first run through was gold as well, yes?

You could wedge a hog in that doorway and back smack him if one thinking of the right elite he'd just kinda growl at it if I remember correctly.

I like the new Arby but I the color of his armor seems a little much.
He wore the gold armor before becoming the Arbiter so it seems fitting that he would throw on the bling again after the war.

Found a good example of leviathan's work

halo__fistful_of_arrows_58_59_by_levihoff-d4aa3ln.jpg

This is of a much better quality of that than a official product.
This is the kind of high quality artwork I want to see in official Halo comics. Even the art on the cover of Halo Initiation #1 was good, awkward Palmer pose notwithstanding.

halo-initiation-cover.jpg

Fuchsdh

You could wedge a hog in that doorway and back smack him if one thinking of the right elite he'd just kinda growl at it if I remember correctly.

Yeah it depends but generally you wedge a hog in, he'll just be growling at it usually. Then again I always brought marines with me so he might just have been focused on them and not necessarily glitched.

He wore the gold armor before becoming the Arbiter so it seems fitting that he would throw on the bling again after the war.

This is the kind of high quality artwork I want to see in official Halo comics. Even the art on the cover of Halo Initiation #1 was good, awkward Palmer pose notwithstanding.

halo-initiation-cover.jpg

Well, doing a cover like that would take forever to do if you went through the entire comics run. Levi's comic took a year not including the time he spent before releasing it online.

But yeah, even in the realm of comic art Halo's presentation has been spotty and could be better within reason. If I were 343 I would find a guy who had the chops and try and keep him in house, but I figure it's probably not financially viable considering how long it takes these comics to gestate and come to fruition.

Well, doing a cover like that would take forever to do if you went through the entire comics run. Levi's comic took a year not including the time he spent before releasing it online.
This is true, it'd be like having Alex Ross do an entire comic, which he doesn't do very often at all. Still, I've always taken issue with cover art misrepresenting the art inside a comic, but it's an issue that has always existed in the medium and it's definitely not going away any time soon.

Fuchsdh

This is true, it'd be like having Alex Ross do an entire comic, which he doesn't do very often at all. Still, I've always taken issue with cover art misrepresenting the art inside a comic, but it's an issue that has always existed in the medium and it's definitely not going away any time soon.

Oh yeah, that's definitely a peeve. I can kind of understand the variant covers and such but not having the main cover at least pencilled by the lead artist is bull (not to mention insulting to a lot of the guys.)

I want Sparth to do a comic on the events of the Forerunner trilogy.

Levi's art is good, but I do have a complaint: a lot of it feels really... trace-y. I dunno, it's like uncanny valley, but applied to looking like an in-game screenshot rather than looking like a not-quite-human.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah it depends but generally you wedge a hog in, he'll just be growling at it usually. Then again I always brought marines with me so he might just have been focused on them and not necessarily glitched.

But yeah, even in the realm of comic art Halo's presentation has been spotty and could be better within reason. If I were 343 I would find a guy who had the chops and try and keep him in house, but I figure it's probably not financially viable considering how long it takes these comics to gestate and come to fruition.

Time is always a factor in any project couldn't you find people with a similar art style and have them draw it, whilst colors are handled independently?

Even still it is time consuming how look does a marvel or dc comic take to do is the time frame similar?

What's up with Palmer and pistols why not a smg and a battle rifle seems more effective than two pistols?

daedalius

I think Joe Mad's stuff must be the only comic book art I like.

Design of new Arby armor seems cool, comic rendering just isn't my thing; if it was painted it would look way cooler.

Madness

One of the big things I'd want with halo 5 is in-game ranks (ie. number/rank picture) and then have it go into detail if we click their service record or use the waypoint app. What weapons they use most, how often they die, etc. Bungie.net was great for this, so easy to search in between matches. I've never used the actual waypoint site I believe you need to log in.

It's not about e-peen with ranks/stats, but gives us something to look forward to, gives us a measurement of how good we are as players. Would be nice to know where we stand, if even amongst ourselves here.

Edit: this thought isn't out of left field. Past few days, was thinking of the Halo community, how there would be tournaments set up, how even here, there would be teams and tourneys and using ranks and stats, would be fair etc. You knew when you'd have inter-community tournaments, that when you had multiple playlist 50 generals on teams, it would be good matches etc.

Fotos

Forgot about that. The Armor makes more sense now. If he's that high of a rank again than I doubt we will be able to play as him in Halo 5. Unless something significant happens that causes him to be on the front lines again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom