• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
its fun, but im super terrible at it.

Sounds like a running theme with most players.

The DotA 2 tutorial is a pain to get through, but if you've never played it before, you need to pay attention or you'll get slaughtered your first 10
matches.

It's definitely a game that you have to want to be competitive at, because even at it's low levels it's extremely punishing. If it weren't for the fact that I've essentially been playing DotA since 2003 or '04 back in the Warcraft III days in high school, I dunno if I could pick it up now.

That said, I find it a lot of fun. It hits my competitive buttons far better than Halo, which I suppose is an interesting contradiction in my playstyles and choices.

Interesting. I've never really been into super competitive gaming but I suppose I'll give it a shot. I'll probably try to sink some more time into it this weekend. I've got the apartment to myself from Friday-Sunday. Speaking of, customs again this weekend?

Yea but i just started too. In tutorials and stuff.

We can be terrible bros together <3

Fuchsdh

Sounds like a running theme with most players.

Interesting. I've never really been into super competitive gaming but I suppose I'll give it a shot. I'll probably try to sink some more time into it this weekend. I've got the apartment to myself from Friday-Sunday. Speaking of, customs again this weekend?

We can be terrible bros together <3

I'm going to be visiting my girlfriend so someone else will hafta' host customs if the crowds demand it.

One thing about DotA 2 is you have to reach Lvl 13 before you actually get into the ranked league, so there's a 'shallow pool' of less competitive and newbie types to fight against, as well as a host of practice matches and vs. AI options to get things down. It's still more competitive than your average game of Halo but it's not insurmountable.

You can also get a bonus by getting recruited as a trainee by another player; play with them and you'll get a boost to your level EXP.

Woorloog

Banned
Duh, did the War Games Weekly challenge in one day. Over 800 kills...
Had some awesome kills, long distance 'nades, outfighting a couple of guys well, avoiding a mongoose splatter by hijacking it and... well, a lot.
BRB, checking how many matches we played with my friend...
EDIT wait, that can't be right...
EDIT i certainly didn't average 28.5 kills a match, way too high a number. Gotta have been more matches.
EDIT unless Waypoint doesn't show all matches, it seems 28 matches is right...

Guys, I've got to say, the best part of Titanfall so far is the easy-to-use UI they've come up with...

4vqMQwD.png

Gears of war 3 actually did tdm very well.

Having a shared pool of lives meant there was always a showdown at the end of a round. They can be pretty tense or straight forward.

Modes like these are always really great because they lend themselves so perfectly for intense, competitive play. It really shocked me Halo never had a "limited lives" gamemode in past games.

Can confirm TitanFall is very fun. Something I've always appreciated about Halo vs CoD is how agile and mobile you feel jumping around as a Spartan. When I play CoD I've always felt like I'm moving too slowly, and because of the small jump, I always felt constrained to a 2D-plane as far as movement goes (aside from map geometry). I've preferred the movement in Halo for years. I've also never been a fan of CoD, really. I've played maybe less than 25 online matches vs tens of thousands of Halo matches. Maybe I'm not explaining it well...

TitanFall feels like you take the fluid movement out of Halo, toss it into an even more frantic CoD and add wallrunning from Mirror's Edge with equally agile Mechs. It's good stuff. I like it, though I don't know how viable it is competitively, I'm having a blast.

WHAT IF 343 GAVE US A HALO 2 ANNIVERSARY TRAILER THEN DID THE 2003 DEMO ON THE NEW GRAPHICS, ONLY TO STILL NEVER GIVE IT TO US LOL

I could see something similar to the 2003 demo being included. Why not? I'd be disappointed if they did a verbatim remake of the (by Halo standards) mediocre Halo 2 campaign. If they do remake the entire campaign then I'd like to see a few experimental ODST style single missions thrown in. A non linear warthog romp around a decaying metropolis would be awesome ala the 03 demo. What about a vertical citadel that increases in difficulty the higher you go, with hordes of flood thrown at you, Left 4 Dead style, using a form of the director AI? Portal puzzles (Portal and Prey)?

I mean who here can really be bothered to slog through yet anotherHalo campaign headshotting grunts and plasma pistolling elites, straight from A to B? It's 2014 and I'm bored of variations of a campaign I finished in 2001. Please do something new with Halo's single player. The inverse for its multi.

Yeah it's the same sub, you can go back and forth.

$40 for 12 months

Will a US gold code work for UK people? That's an amazing deal when converted.

Madness

I could see something similar to the 2003 demo being included. Why not? I'd be disappointed if they did a verbatim remake of the (by Halo standards) mediocre Halo 2 campaign. If they do remake the entire campaign then I'd like to see a few experimental ODST style single missions thrown in. A non linear warthog romp around a decaying metropolis would be awesome ala the 03 demo. What about a vertical citadel that increases in difficulty the higher you go, with hordes of flood thrown at you, Left 4 Dead style, using a form of the director AI? Portal puzzles (Portal and Prey)?

I mean who here can really be bothered to slog through yet anotherHalo campaign headshotting grunts and plasma pistolling elites, straight from A to B? It's 2014 and I'm bored of variations of a campaign I finished in 2001. Pleasedo something new with Halo's single player. The inverse for its multi.

Will a US gold code work for UK people? That's an amazing deal when converted.

Live can be redeemed anywhere, you can't redeem American points/now cards I think.

As for Halo 2, no thanks. I've never liked the Halo 2 campaign as much as CE or 3, but I'd prefer a faithful remake fully reskinned instead of waiting 343 to add their own "imaginations" to level design or encounters/areas. They have Halo 5 to design an all new campaign. Plus, it seems like Saber and CA are handling it again, they're not going to make an all new campaign for a game that will mostly be a temporary holdover until Halo 5. We don't even know if it will have multi, whether it will only have the Halo 5 beta etc.

I mean who here can really be bothered to slog through yet anotherHalo campaign headshotting grunts and plasma pistolling elites, straight from A to B? It's 2014 and I'm bored of variations of a campaign I finished in 2001. Pleasedo something new with Halo's single player. The inverse for its multi.

If it's a remake, they should absolutely do nothing of what you just said above. Let em do that shit for Halo 5.

Live can be redeemed anywhere, you can't redeem American points/now cards I think.

As for Halo 2, no thanks. I've never liked the Halo 2 campaign as much as CE or 3, but I'd prefer a faithful remake fully reskinned instead of waiting 343 to add their own "imaginations" to level design or encounters/areas. They have Halo 5 to design an all new campaign. Plus, it seems like Saber and CA are handling it again, they're not going to make an all new campaign for a game that will mostly be a temporary holdover until Halo 5. We don't even know if it will have multi, whether it will only have the Halo 5 beta etc.

I'll buy an xbox one for H2A if it has the multi with minimal adjustments, and that includes no sprint. If it has no multi of its own whatsoever, I won't be buying it. No way I'm shelling out up to £500 to play a Halo 5 beta, lol.

As for the campaign, I said in addition to the original. You'd be able to select a 'Classic' mode in the menu which allows you to play it exactly how it was in 2004.

I don't think people can be too precious about this. Halo 2's campaign is quite unpolished compared to its predecessor and later games. Very linear. Shite Brute AI. Not all games have the right to a remake; CE is the only Halo game that is truly worthy of one. If it's true, I think it's embarrassing that resources are being expended on remaking an average single player from 2004.

Don't forget, H2A will be the first introduction to the series for many XB1 owners. Can you imagine players that have conquered Bioshick Infinite, Dark Souls or later COD campaigns playing the Tartarus boss battle, no additions, just reskinned like CEA is? Embarrassing. H2 campaign is not a timeless classic like CE. I don't see it standing on its own merits, it needs bells and whistles imo.

All that said, I'll probably wet myself on the spot when I see Metropolis with XB1 graphics, the skybox thick with Banshees and Phantoms.

Mistel

Banned
It is mostly stormtrooper who makes fun of halo 2 here, but she is also always playing Halo 4/ reach btb soooooo idk
I hope I've not been too hard on anybody, some of these things are far too hard to point out. Maybe I just like rising to the occasion too much?

I'd play 3 btb if I didn't have to wait till past midnight to find a decent btb game. I'm usually multi tasking as I play reach and 4.

Tried buying that Gold deal via the US store. Apparently your IP address and bank account need to originate from the same country as the site. Shame because when converted it's £24 for a 12 month; the UK store (which the MS bot directed me too) has it at £40 :(

Madness

I'll buy an xbox one for H2A if it has the multi with minimal adjustments, and that includes no sprint. If it has no multi of its own whatsoever, I won't be buying it. No way I'm shelling out up to £500 to play a Halo 5 beta, lol.

As for the campaign, I said in addition to the original. You'd be able to select a 'Classic' mode in the menu which allows you to play it exactly how it was in 2004.

I don't think people can be too precious about this. Halo 2's campaign is quite unpolished compared to its predecessor and later games. Very linear. Shite Brute AI. Not all games have the right to a remake; CE is the only Halo game that is truly worthy of one. If it's true, I think it's embarrassing that resources are being expended on remaking an average single player from 2004.

Don't forget, H2A will be the first introduction to the series for many XB1 owners. Can you imagine players that have conquered Bioshick Infinite, Dark Souls or later COD campaigns playing the Tartarus boss battle, no additions, just reskinned like CEA is? Embarrassing. H2 campaign is not a timeless classic like CE. I don't see it standing on its own merits, it needs bells and whistles imo.

All that said, I'll probably wet myself on the spot when I see Metropolis with XB1 graphics, the skybox thick with Banshees and Phantoms.

No I agree with you, I dislike the Halo 2 campaign and can easily see areas where it can be improved, but like you said yourself, this game isn't a timeless classic. It's almost meant as a stopgap because apparently Halo 5 is now coming in 2015. It would require far too much time, resources to reimagine the campaign separately as well. Especially if Saber and CA are the ones given the reins on this project. You'd ultimately have to ask yourself is it worth it? Most will buy for the "nostalgia" of the game they played ten years ago and try and be amazed at a reskinned New Mombasa etc. I don't necessarily think it's aimed at capturing any of those Bioshock Infinite players and this seems mostly like fanservice on the 10 year anniversary like CEA.

Like its just too much work for a campaign many won't really play as much as say the multiplayer if it's added. They especially won't do it if they never did it for CEA. From a pure profit/fan point, wouldn't it make more sense to say do a reskin/remake, update the maps and multiplayer, rather than try and do changes to the story, create all new situations and assets etc.

No I agree with you, I dislike the Halo 2 campaign and can easily see areas where it can be improved, but like you said yourself, this game isn't a timeless classic. It's almost meant as a stopgap because apparently Halo 5 is now coming in 2015. It would require far too much time, resources to reimagine the campaign separately as well. Especially if Saber and CA are the ones given the reins on this project. You'd ultimately have to ask yourself is it worth it? Most will buy for the "nostalgia" of the game they played ten years ago and try and be amazed at a reskinned New Mombasa etc. I don't necessarily think it's aimed at capturing any of those Bioshock Infinite players and this seems mostly like fanservice on the 10 year anniversary like CEA.

Like its just too much work for a campaign many won't really play as much as say the multiplayer if it's added. They especially won't do it if they never did it for CEA. From a pure profit/fan point, wouldn't it make more sense to say do a reskin/remake, update the maps and multiplayer, rather than try and do changes to the story, create all new situations and assets etc.

I totally understand this viewpoint and you're right it would be cheaper to do a straight reskin. What I would say is that CEA was the forth Halo release on the Xbox 360; precedents for what Halo meant on next gen hardware were already set by Halo 3, ODST and Reach. H2A will be the first on XB1. The opening salvo for next generation Halo single player will be... a reskinning of the least loved campaign in the series' history: "Come shoot some Brutes down a corridor in 1080p (maybe?)!". It would be underwhelming, even for a devout Halo fan. All I ask for is two or three new optional missions.

I just... halo campaigns have been extremely conservative with each iteration whereas they've had no reservations taking revolting liberties with the multiplayer portion. It ought to be the other way around.

ElRenoRaven

Guys, I've got to say, the best part of Titanfall so far is the easy-to-use UI they've come up with...

Yup the UI is amazing in it. You can still see the Halo 2&3 inspirations. That's one of the big things the folks at respawn did smartly back in the Halo 2 & 3 days. They weren't afraid to look at Bungie's ui they used in their games and basically take what worked and replicate it into theirs. To this day it floors me that more games haven't done that. Bungie has always been amazing at making good user interfaces.

Woorloog

Banned
Installing Halo 2 PC. Goddamn the installer is awful (and slow). Can't type the install location... had to create a folder for it, i wonder if the folder /Halo 2/ will contain /Halo 2/....

Halo 2 campaign has a lot of wonderful encounters despite its usually tight corridor areas. And it is challenging. Or was. I have a feeling i won't find Halo 2 Legendary difficult anymore...
EDIT and then i have to update the damn GFWL client...
EDIT and i've forgotten my XBL account password, i think... Remembered that
EDIT now i need that dsfix

Woorloog

Banned
Is there anyway to cap framerate in Halo 2 PC? I'm worried going over 60 will overheat my laptop, and tearing is annoying.
DSfix vsync doesn't do anything, and i'm not sure if the framerate unlock option works and caps the framerate.

Mix

I forgot to come in here and say it, but the robocop remake must have had Neil Davidge working on it, because it all sounded like it was straight from halo 4.

IHaveIce

Banned
I hope I've not been too hard on anybody, some of these things are far too hard to point out. Maybe I just like rising to the occasion too much?

I'd play 3 btb if I didn't have to wait till past midnight to find a decent btb game. I'm usually multi tasking as I play reach and 4.
No worries was just in funny terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom