• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not that good in reach, 3 should be a basis with the pack behavior and varying degrees of rankings. In reach they're just needler fodder.

Lol speedy your viral thread post.

Yah. Brutes in Halo 3 were great. I really liked the Power Armour too. It was really satisfying to shoot off

Yeah. Either way we'll get a laugh out of it, Speedy.
Yup. Same here. But during the Halo 2 era the Brute had no such power armor. The closest were the Brute Honor Guards. Tartarus and Brute Captains were different from the normal brute spongie scrubs in High Charity and Delta Halo

Shout Out to you guys for reversing this.

wpyK5gI.png

Also shout-out to you guys for the very kind, heart-warming postmortem posts.

Speedy doesn't post on behalf of Microsoft, he's just an idiot

So they don't know he's 8?

I wish I worked for Microsoft in high school.

Hopefully perma

I lost it when Speedy straight up said he was glad that MS added this DRM, and that the family sharing thing was "too generous".

There's brand loyalty, and that's fine, but dayum. There is a limit.

loooooooooool

Only regret is HGS didn't get him first

Hahahaha good shit

RIP my Reach brother. May your bloom be favorable and your enemies be shit on.

Speedy was just suffering from blind fanboyism. At his age it's hard to overcome. But him being a MS plant... Fucking lol.

So speedy slurped so hard he got banned for assumed viral marketing?

Speedy dude

Blue in the face.

Astroturfed

the console race?

PURMA-BAN™

Speedy is really gone? Kid was spin doctor supreme on anything related to XBone, but I never thought it was perma tier SLRP. The more you know.

I hope speedy blue dude is actually a Microsoft plant. The long con.

Treat Gaming side like a stripper that gives you a table dance. Look all you want, but touch delicately lest you receive something you don't want.

Explaining strippers to speedy is like lecturing a toddler about physics

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing Halo 1 for the first time in about six months and I'm reminded yet again of how amazing the campaign is. It can't just be nostalgia, but I also have a hard time really articulating why I like it. It and Halo 3 are the only campaigns I really enjoy replaying.

I think CSR is the culprit. I was donging in Team Slayer, then I realized my CSR was reset since I last played.

The heavies playlist makes getting the achievement using the survivor perk really easy. It's actually kind of fun using that perk in heavies. Gives some balance to all the anti-vehicle vehicles and weapons.
Ah yes i forgot about CSR, probably because its not view able in game.
I agree, i don't think anyone would take heavies seriously so all the ridiculous perks are acceptable in that particular game type. Just keep them away from future halos please.

They're not that good in reach, 3 should be a basis with the pack behavior and varying degrees of rankings. In reach they're just needler fodder.
Reach brutes were rather dull. In future i think the fact that the Covenant are essentially non existent and not supplying the brutes should be taken in to account. Perhaps portray them more to their roots of barbaric and less reliant on tech in the next game.

I'm playing Halo 1 for the first time in about six months and I'm reminded yet again of how amazing the campaign is. It can't just be nostalgia, but I also have a hard time really articulating why I like it. It and Halo 3 are the only campaigns I really enjoy replaying.

Halo -> Truth and Reconciliation -> Silent Cartographer -> Assault on the Control Room -> 343 GS

No game I've played has ever matched that level progression. Those 5 in a row are some really, really good levels. I can't even count how many times I've played them. The closest any other Halo game comes is The Covenant in 3, MAYBE Delta Halo/Regret in 2. Then again, I did really enjoy playing Crow's Nest -> Tsavo Highway -> The Storm, but the Covenant is better, I think.

Madness

AuAfO.gif

Here we were winning every game by 20 or more kills when it could have been 30 or more?!

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

Yeah problem is, if you stop playing Halo 4 for a while, it's hard to get the 4sk down again. I did have tons of assists, just couldn't close the deal. You and Tashi played solid though.

Play Halo 2 Delta Halo then we'll talk, it has great encounters, environments and full range sandbox use. Best mission of any Halo campaign for me. CE is very replayable but I find 3 one of the least replayable campaigns of all.

Mistel

Banned
Obviously no one explained how strippers work yet or sex... :p

Reach brutes were rather dull. In future i think the fact that the Covenant are essentially non existent and not supplying the brutes should be taken in to account. Perhaps portray them more to their roots of barbaric and less reliant on tech in the next game.
Maybe expanding on the fact that they had their own weapons, before the covenant. So their brutality is shown by their weapons. I do love those fire grenades.

Mistel

Banned
or even just confirming the name of the game coming out this year would be nice
It's one of the worst kept secrets everyone knows about it and that it's happening, yet no official announcement or anything.

Not that I know how these things work but wouldn't the game be "gone gold" soon? If it's a complete port with both campaign and multi it would take longer?

IHaveIce

Banned
It's one of the worst kept secrets everyone knows about it and that it's happening, yet no official announcement or anything.

Not that I know how these things work but wouldn't the game be "gone gold" soon? If it's a complete port with both campaign and multi it would take longer?

Games who ship in November go mostly gold earliest around late august.

Ghazi

Shout Out to you guys for reversing this.

wpyK5gI.png

Why couldn't we have gotten zoojoo or slurry poison back, I miss those guys :(

hines-ward-crying-sports-crying-gifs.gif

Oh and "Enter the -4 Chambers" (or whatever the number is), make sure the Virgin Gaming deal is legal in your state. They can't offer it to me, because it's not legal in my state, you have to read the fine print to find the illegal states I can't remember them.

monome

I don' t fathom how 343i is gonna make Halo exciting again when Destiny has the connected SP experience covered and Titanfall has the wild but fair MP experience covered...

Will Halo 5 try and be Destiny and Titanfall in One package?
is it possible?

Halo2A is good in my books but will probably end up being a solo experience...with an hopefully great art direction.

Juan

I don' t fathom how 343i is gonna make Halo exciting again when Destiny has the connected SP experience covered and Titanfall has the wild but fair MP experience covered...

Will Halo 5 try and be Destiny and Titanfall in One package?
is it possible?

Halo2A is good in my books but will probably end up being a solo experience...with an hopefully great art direction.

Forbes wrote an interesting article about this : Are Halo And Call of Duty In Danger From Titanfall And Destiny?

I don't think Halo 5 can be Destiny and Titanfall in one game, in the same way Halo can't be Call Of Duty. This is an old IP, in term of video game, and even if I like arena shooters, I have to admit Halo feels pretty old for me.

It has his own style, and without change the gameplay, Halo can't be something else than Halo. Destiny and Titanfall are both new IPs which start with the experience of their predecessors and can go beyond that because Bungie and Respawn had the chance to make a new game, clear the table and create new rules without think about the restriction they had before with their firsts IP.

monome

Forbes wrote an interesting article about this : Are Halo And Call of Duty In Danger From Titanfall And Destiny?

I don't think Halo 5 can be Destiny and Titanfall in one game, in the same way Halo can't be Call Of Duty. This is an old IP, in term of video game, and even if I like arena shooters, I have to admit Halo feels pretty old for me.

It has his own style, and without change the gameplay, Halo can't be something else than Halo. Destiny and Titanfall are both new IPs which start with the experience of their predecessors and can go beyond that because Bungie and Respawn had the chance to make a new game, clear the table and create new rules without think about the restriction they had before with their firsts IP.

The writer is right about release dates being a very important factor in the crowded AAA FPS space.

I think Halo has potential as a MMO-ish franchise, and solid mechanics to be relevant to people looking for fun.

I think 343i is neither staffed nor were they built to do that...

I would welcome episodic with self generating environments and a great AI.

Fuchsdh

Halo -> Truth and Reconciliation -> Silent Cartographer -> Assault on the Control Room -> 343 GS

No game I've played has ever matched that level progression. Those 5 in a row are some really, really good levels. I can't even count how many times I've played them. The closest any other Halo game comes is The Covenant in 3, MAYBE Delta Halo/Regret in 2. Then again, I did really enjoy playing Crow's Nest -> Tsavo Highway -> The Storm, but the Covenant is better, I think.

What hampers the progression of Halo 3 is unlike Halo 1, the story isn't being progressed evenly. As pointed out many times, the first third of Halo 3's campaign is irrelevant to the story--you already know what's going on and nothing changes in the status quo. They threw some good intra-level story arcs and progression in there but that's not really enough. In CE you go from landing on this random world, rescuing the captain and finding out what Halo is, trying to beat the Covenant to figuring out how to control Halo, actually making it to the Control room, and then the great sudden shift in priorities and reveal of the Flood.

I think Halo 4's early segments through Infinity manage a similar sort of consistent, meaningful story progression (though like others I think slowing that portion down by a level would have been ideal), it unfortunately didn't have as many memorable encounters to buttress that.

Sierra 117 -> Crow's Nest -> Tsavo Highway -> The Storm -> Floodgate -> The Ark -> The Covenant

Beats that sequence pretty handily for me.

Booties

Banned
can't even run a mile....

Running on concrete is brutal on my paper machete knees now that I gained weight from lifting. Still running 2-3 miles per run though, you jerk. I have 10 weeks to reach my goal of 10 miles in 70-80 minutes.

That really is the best sequence in the series, but....

Sierra 117 -> Crow's Nest -> Tsavo Highway -> The Storm -> Floodgate -> The Ark -> The Covenant

I really enjoyed this one as well. It's the only other time in the franchise where I feel like I have to play all the levels that follow whenever I play any one of them. Halo 2's first 2 levels were sick, but I didn't really enjoy playing them, especially on legendary. Halo 2 is more important story-wise than it is gameplay. Too much got cut for it to be a standout.

Oh and "Enter the -4 Chambers" (or whatever the number is),

Way to show your age.
I will never reveal the WuTang secret

Mistel

Banned
Games who ship in November go mostly gold earliest around late august.
So news should start appearing soon then hopefully.
First three levels are nice. as soon as the Infinity came crashing down, so did Halo 4's campaign
The UNSC were introduced far to early, it should have been not in the game at all or right at the end. Also the only thing I learnt is pulse grenades benefit from QTE's on the damage front.

Fuchsdh

Oh that's why we can only spawn with one. It all makes sense now!

I can't help but think that pulse grenades in their current incarnation would have been more effective in previous Halo games with their tighter maps.

Still wish they'd worked more like trip mines.

Booties

Banned
need to see pics of this.

You're spot on about the H2 campaign. Apart from a couple of levels, the story itself is far better than the actual campaign design.

I just have really bad tendonitis in my knees.

Halo 2 was really more about setting up the grand finale in 3 for me.

TheOddOne

I really liked the small scale sections like these in the H4 campaign:

jUbXeoDZztHZd.png

jbjOCBIwlBNznV.png

There is no combat (or comes much later after you have inspected the place) at those locations , but they ooze style if you spend some time looking around.

Mistel

Banned
Oh that's why we can only spawn with one. It all makes sense now!
They're about as combat effective as firework really, I'm not sure quite how there meant to be used I've tried blocking of choke point's with them but they aren't that effective. Maybe they would work better in more enclosed spaces, or actually having some sort of effect tied to them like an flare or something IDK...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

jUbXeoDZztHZd.png

jbjOCBIwlBNznV.png

There is no combat (or comes much later after you have inspected the place) at those locations , but they ooze style if you spend some time looking around.

I agree, some of these areas had the best style/art in the game. One thing 343 did a solid job at was reimagining classic styles like the Forerunner buildings, etc. The area those screenshots are in is just beautiful.

GreyWind

jUbXeoDZztHZd.png

jbjOCBIwlBNznV.png

0iIy9Kz.png

This one as well.

Shame we have no Campaign Theater, some of these levels have beautiful lighting.

Definitely not nostalgia. When you have a successful foundation of gameplay mechanics mixed with solid gameplay design, the good times happen naturally.
Titanfall's MP is as "fair" as CoD IMO; it's just a random crap shoot of shootbang. Fun sure, but fair? I perceive fair as Halo's formula of everyone starting equally and earning your advantages during each match.
Speedy doesn't post on behalf of Microsoft, he's just an idiot
Hopefully perma
Saw this in that batch of quotes Speedy posted lmfao -- Where has Franklinator been anyway? I miss that Charmander avatar ;[

giphy.gif

Nebula

I hope that one day Spartans will not be able to do magic lunges while in mid air.

Was lunging added as due to registration issued or something?

Hadn't seen it posted. Description for Halo Escalation #6.

The saga of Halo Wars enters the modern age as Infinity struggles to liberate the long-lost Spirit of Fire from the deadly Vata 'Gajat. Meanwhile, Petra's search for the identity of Infinity's spy could result in her death. The Halo universe is on the brink of a new galactic war!

from here

Interesting.

jUbXeoDZztHZd.png

jbjOCBIwlBNznV.png

+

0iIy9Kz.png

This one as well.

Shame we have no Campaign Theater, some of these levels have beautiful lighting.

These were some of my favorite sections just due to the atmosphere.. it really felt like a Halo game. I wish they would have found a way to build some interesting encounters in sections like those, or even perhaps lend the art to multiplayer maps.

Mistel

Banned
I hope that one day Spartans will not be able to do magic lunges while in mid air.Was lunging added as due to registration issued or something?
That's the only thing I can think of it being that large, It's quite amazing off a grav lift as well with the reach that it has.
The game relied a bit too much on the lightning to make things pretty, imo.
In some area's like this bit of the final level I thought that it was detracting from the overall environment:

Woorloog

Banned
Can't think of what i'm going to play next. Halo 3? Kind of... meh, even on Legendary (seriously, it wouldn't be any challenge after Halo 2 Legendary). Halo CEA? (Oddly, CE is very replayable even though i find almost all Halos to be better).
Or continue Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or something else.
Argh!

If i had a multiplayer game i could play solo i wouldn't have this problem, but all i have require someone else too. Dota 2 i won't bother solo queuing. Halos... nope (need party or someone playing splitscreen with me). Others... don't have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom