• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck is Tedra Grant?
Before it's mentioned, I did click your link and this is a rhetorical question.

Spartan Ops is such a clusterfuck. Really shows what an abysmal job they did trying to develop these 'dude-bro' Spartans when most people couldn't name more than two of them (Palmer and David or whatever his name is... and the former is only because she's written so badly that people only remember how much they hate her).

I have no idea how people can look toward Halo 5 and have faith that 343i aren't going to deliver a Halsey-hate fuelled, UNSC-are-suddenly-severely-divided-and-retarded storyline involving a middle aged man trying to bang a purple hologram like those neckbeards fapping over pictures of cartoon characters

I have no faith in the writing skills of the team.

I just want a decent story where the "dude-bro" spartans are written better, if they want us to care about the Spartan IVs; then write them in a way that shows them as more than meat-heads that do nothing. Hell, Spartan Thorne actually had an independant thought at the end of Spartan Ops. Which gives me some hope that they wont write the character to be a "follow orders just cause" character.

The Halsey hate overtones are going to be there because they are writing Palmer into the "main" female lead spot (from all the focus she is getting we can Infer). Palmer suffers from Karen Traviss inspired writing. She is not a strong female character, i mean she's strong if you count wise-cracks and a generally disrespectful and bitchy attitude towards anyone that isn't ONI personnel.

Mistel

Banned
I have no faith in the writing skills of the team.

The Halsey hate overtones are going to be there because they are writing Palmer into the "main" female lead spot (from all the focus she is getting we can Infer). Palmer suffers from Karen Traviss inspired writing. She is not a strong female character, i mean she's strong if you count wise-cracks and a generally disrespectful and bitchy attitude towards anyone that isn't ONI personnel.

I hope in halo 5 chief offs Palmer such a horrible personality, for someone who is most likely the new female lead. Palmer is just written as though she is infallible and everyone should like her automatically. What female characters does everyone else like?

Traviss was the lead writer for gears 3 as well but I've not played singleplayer on it how was that with female characters?

I hope in halo 5 chief offs Palmer such a horrible personality, for someone who is most likely the new female lead. Palmer is just written as though she is infallible and everyone should like her automatically. What female characters does everyone else like?

Traviss was the lead writer for gears 3 as well but I've not played singleplayer on it how was that with female characters?

Anya was written fairly well.

Ataxia

I liked Cortana in Halo 2 and 3.

guess that ship sailed the moment she finger banged the Chief.

Enjoy that Christmas salt. I enjoyed Halo 4, but aspects of the story frustrate me a lot.

Caayn

Anya was written fairly well.
Anya was an already established character. The female characters Travis came up with in the Kilo-Five trilogy, Naomi and Osman, only have revenge on their mind.
I liked Cortana in Halo 2 and 3.

guess that ship sailed the moment she finger banged the Chief.
I'm not a fan of the hollywood drama-love story between the Chief and Cortana in Halo 4 either. It was just a bit to much.

Mistel

Banned
Anya was an already established character. The female characters Travis came up with in the Kilo-Five trilogy, Naomi and Osman, only have revenge on their mind.
I'm not a fan of the hollywood drama-love story between the Chief and Cortana in Halo 4 either. It was just a bit to much.

Chief's and Cortana love story was like badly written fan fiction. Traviss characters in kilo five could do with fleshing out revenge, Halsey is evil is just I can't explain it.

Ataxia

You know it's funny, because really.. After winning a 30 year war or whatever and losing some 90+ percent* of the human population, the last thing anyone is going to be doing is looking for someone to hang out as a scapegoat for actions that ultimately saved the species and won the war.

It's completely ridiculous.

And then you have all the other pseudo-political bullshit with the Elites and ONI that is just silly and completely unnecessary. 343i had the perfect chance to bring the series forward and focus on the Forerunner with Halo 4, but instead we're heading into Halo 5 with no other enemies other than the damn Covenant again (still have no idea why they wrapped all the loose ends up in the last Greg Bear book).

I can't remember numbers. But it was a ridiculous amount of human casualties

IHaveIce

Banned
You know it's funny, because really.. After winning a 30 year war or whatever and losing some 90+ percent* of the human population, the last thing anyone is going to be doing is looking for someone to hang out as a scapegoat for actions that ultimately saved the species and won the war.

It's completely ridiculous.
This right here. WHY are they even getting mad about Halsey.
The general public still has no idea what a spartan is correct? So they don't have to put the blame on someone to satisfy the public, even if they did it for them.. why would they be mad about a project that saved the human race(yes it was a brutal project but come on)

ONI also can't do it just because they think 'oh shit that makes us look bad' because they reallowed it for the Spartan 3s and do worse stuff all the time(tricking the elites)

It was just a random thing that the ONI headstaff decided they don't like her and will get rid of her (one of the smartest persons of the human race and could be the only one to solve all forerunner mysteries)

Yep logical stuff.

Mistel

Banned
This right here. WHY are they even getting mad about Halsey.
The general public still has no idea what a spartan is correct? So they don't have to put the blame on someone to satisfy the public, even if they did it for them.. why would they be mad about a project that saved the human race(yes it was a brutal project but come on)

ONI also can't do it just because they think 'oh shit that makes us look bad' because they reallowed it for the Spartan 3s and do worse stuff all the time(tricking the elites)

It was just a random thing that the ONI headstaff decided they don't like her and will get rid of her (one of the smartest persons of the human race and could be the only one to solve all forerunner mysteries)

Yep logical stuff.

I assume the public knowledge of the program is limited. Removing Halsey is kinda pointless even if your covering your tracks.

Caayn

To put it blunt. The Halo lore since Glasslands comes down to the logic of a 6 year old who just got his crayon stolen by a classmate.

That said I'm still excited for Mortal Dictata next month.

Mistel

Banned
To put it blunt. The Halo lore since Glasslands comes down to the logic of a 6 year old who just got his crayon stolen by a classmate.

It's can be summed up as the elites are now bad so is Halsey and the UNSC I'd the greatest thing ever to happen.

daedalius

It's can be summed up as the elites are now bad so is Halsey and the UNSC I'd the greatest thing ever to happen.

I think their intent is to have everything be a bit more gray, but obviously for most in here it doesn't appear to be working.

Oh, also got the didact figure for my shelf :p

Ataxia

Me too!

It marks the end of Traviss's destruction of the Halo canon. I just hope she goes out with a whimper and not a bang. Last thing we need is MC going rogue and Halo 5 being CoD in Space.

Mistel

Banned
I think their intent is to have everything be a bit more gray, but obviously for most in here it doesn't appear to be working.

That didact figure looks cool I wouldn't mind the scout figure is I see one. The idea is good but the execution is lacking quite severely.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cause, you know, God forbid that we actually change up the formula inside campaign once in a while.

Referring to story elements and not actual gameplay mechanics

Nothing wrong with changing how story is told and the elements of it, but MC going rogue is such a stupid thing to do.

Fuchsdh

Not saying the Halo universe couldn't use some better writing, but entirely missing the thematic points and saying "UNSC is greatest evar!" is poor reading comprehension on y'alls part, and Dickens himself couldn't fix that for you.

Caayn

Pics please :D
Me too!

It marks the end of Traviss's destruction of the Halo canon. I just hope she goes out with a whimper and not a bang. Last thing we need is MC going rogue and Halo 5 being CoD in Space.
Why? With the current state of the UNSC and ONI I think there's a more interesting story possible with the Chief going rogue than him staying a lap dog of them.

IHaveIce

Banned
Not saying the Halo universe couldn't use some better writing, but entirely missing the thematic points and saying "UNSC is greatest evar!" is poor reading comprehension on y'alls part, and Dickens himself couldn't fix that for you.

show the persons who said that.

Ataxia

Cause, you know, God forbid that we actually change up the formula inside campaign once in a while.

Referring to story elements and not actual gameplay mechanics
Because in a universe where there are aliens which build god damn worlds and teleport, the last thing I want to do is fight humans like literally every other FPS game in the market today.

Storywise - It's silly.

Why? With the current state of the UNSC and ONI I think there's a more interesting story possible with the Chief going rogue than him staying a lap dog of them.
And there's much better stories to be told (Precursors, Forerunner, Flood, whatever).

Nothing wrong with changing how story is told and the elements of it, but MC going rogue is such a stupid thing to do.

I personally don't think so. I think that in order to get that feeling of being truly isolated and alone (which is what they aimed for Halo 4, which worked for like the first 10 minutes of the second mission), you need to have no outside contact, which going rogue would do. Plus, it already looks like we are headed that way, if the trailer at E3 was anything to judge by.

Ataxia

I personally don't think so. I think that in order to get that feeling of being truly isolated and alone (which is what they aimed for Halo 4, which worked for like the first 10 minutes of the second mission), you need to have no outside contact, which going rogue would do. Plus, it already looks like we are headed that way, if the trailer at E3 was anything to judge by.

We've already been told that the trailer represents literally nothing other than a Halo game is coming out.

Well I could agree him going solo and ignoring orders would be interesting, though fighting against the UNSC ..ugh

I wouldn't worry about fighting Humans. That has never been a thing in Halo. Even in the Arbiter's campaign, I remember thinking "Crap, I don't wanna kill humans!" and it never happened once. Granted, that was a different developer, but I can't imagine this happening. Maybe killing human made machines/drones or something at most...

Halo needs more comedy. Arby and Chief swap bodies, campaign is nothing but finding the wishing well that Didact stole to fit in his bath chamber. Score by Elfman, voices by Steve Martin and Kirk Cameron, 343 wipes their butts with gold toilet paper.

Halo needs more comedy. Arby and Chief swap bodies, campaign is nothing but finding the wishing well that Didact stole to fit in his bath chamber. Score by Elfman, voices by Steve Martin and Kirk Cameron, 343 wipes their butts with gold toilet paper.

What we need is a live studio audience.

"I thought you'd be taller."
*canned laughter*

Ghazi

DIRECTED BY M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN

I remember when I made this joke last time lol

I wouldn't worry about fighting Humans. That has never been a thing in Halo. Even in the Arbiter's campaign, I remember thinking "Crap, I don't wanna kill humans!" and it never happened once. Granted, that was a different developer, but I can't imagine this happening. Maybe killing human made machines/drones or something at most...
UNSC hires Covenant mercenaries to hunt down Chef. Issue avoided!

Fuchsdh

If you've got some iTunes gift cards from Xmas burning a hole in your pocket, pick up the Spartan Assault soundtrack on iTunes for $10. Essentially it's the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack we'll never get; Tom Salta pulls off a decent Rippy, and there's some nice tunes in there.

Not at all, Naomi was perturbed because the ONI let her know about her family, principally her father and sent her to arrest him.
Why in earth you let a spartan do that mission to capture his/her own known family alive and let him know his daugther is alive and be trained to be Spartan knowing he is a terrorist?

Osman was shaped to be the sucessor of paragonsky so they wasted a character who could be a future ally for the Chief.

ElRenoRaven

sums up my thoughts. Traviss should never be allowed near Halo again. She just totally ruined the work done by Nylund and the others in earlier books. She turned everything into a shit on Halsey fest. 343 did some cool things with Halo 4's story but they continued where Traviss left off with everyone shitting all over Halsey. Palmer has potential but yea she really was damn poorly written. I think she can be salvaged though if 343 takes the time too. Judging by the few panels of some of the new comics though it looks like they don't really give a damn about salvaging her.

I wonder how much the new books will bleed into the TV-series or even the upcoming game.

Well, the Storm faction was in Thursday War, right(?)... and that was what we allegedly fought in Halo 4, haha.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV series will serve a purpose similar to the books, a self contained series that will add to the overall fiction. That said, I would just like to see a live action followup to ODST.

TheOddOne

But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV series will serve a purpose similar to the books, a self contained series that will add to the overall fiction. That said, I would just like to see a live action followup to ODST.
I hope they don’t try to do the whole “everything must be tied into everything else” mantra too much again for the TV-series. Some callbacks are cool, but let every story be its own thing.

I hope they don’t try to do the whole “everything must be tied into everything else” mantra too much again for the TV-series. Some callbacks are cool, but let every story be its own thing.

I mean, obviously it will be tied into things in some way.. but yeah, I hope it is given enough breathing room and they don't try to force MC in it, or anything like that. The Halo universe is expansive enough that it could really tell a great standalone story filled with new and familiar things. There is just so much potential in a Halo series, but the issue is live action video games stories aren't taken super seriously, so I am afraid the quality will suffer due to the Hollywood side clashing with the game/story side.

Well, the Storm faction was in Thursday War, right(?)... and that was what we allegedly fought in Halo 4, haha.

I still can't believe this wasn't described in the game, at all.

If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have any clue as to what the Storm Rifle was..

I never see it happening and I doubt 343 could effectively write it into a bi-annual blockbuster FPS series in the first place, but it'd be interesting if rather than go rogue, Chief doesn't go rogue so much as take leave. That is, he just brings along some fireteams (maybe even a Spartan Ops squad or two so that they can be fleshed out?) and heavy duty equipment with him to return to the now heavily-damaged Ark, complete with Halo installation wreckage. I mean, if they've got rightful inheritors on Earth, it wouldn't be that difficult to briefly reactivate the Portal, wouldn't it?

Anyways, he'd still stay in good standing with the UNSC / ONI thanks to Lasky gluing back together a semblance of a truce, if only temporarily. At the Ark they could find (Halo 4 "bonus Terminal" spoilers)
Mendicant Bias buried in the Ark's sands, entombed for his crimes rather than destroyed with the Ark as originally thought. On top of that, since Bornstellar-Didact is alive, I was picturing a scenario where he
and select few companies of once-in-stasis Prometheans (the original ones, not the robits) return to the wreckage of the Ark to survey the damage, considering they'd have no reason not to still keep tabs on it. Once again, it seems incredibly difficult to work in from an FPS perspective, but I'm also hoping we get a really dumb-in-concept scene where Chief, his Spartan buddies,
Mendicant Bias and Bornstellar-Didact
sit around a campfire in the Ark's deserts and talk shit out for the sake of character development and worldbuilding. It ultimately results in Chief doing... well, whatever to try and get Cortana back, etc.

Also, some predictions / wishlist:

- There's no doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will feature Space Hades / Digital Styx, or rather "The Archive of the Digitally Damned," some sort of megastructure hidden away in a Forerunner facility that serves as a processing center for all of the life that gets Composed. Maybe throw in a "clockmaker" Promethean character or AI that runs the whole place. Either way, it would explain how the Prometheans are keeping such consistent recirculation of their Composed victims. The Prometheans fought in Spartan Ops largely consisted of victims of the New Phoenix annihilation event, for reference.

- The remaining Forerunners that weren't killed by the Flood or the Halo Array have been living in (relative) peace on the few Shield Worlds that remain. A few of the greats in the Halo series that have fallen prey to dubious slipspace events are also on these paradise planets, such as Jorge and even Preston Cole.

- Cortana does not return, but instead Halsey is fatally wounded and (somehow peacefully?) Composed and becomes Chief's new AI. Now Chief gets to spend the rest of his life having space adventures with his pet space phoenix and his digital mum.

- Subtle transitions over the course of Halo 5 and Halo 6 culminate in Chief building up a whole new faction of sorts consisting of non-insane, organic Promethean remnants, Arbiter (or rather Kaidon now) and his loyal followers including Shipmaster, Lasky, etc. By the time Chief makes it back to Earth, he realizes the technological hyperpower that is the new UNSC and by extension ONI are fighting on opposite sides of a perpetual war. That way it's more of a "what have I become / what have they become" thing and you aren't just flat-out pulling a "CHIEF HAS GONE ROGUE. HUMANS ARE DA ENEMYS" spin on it.

While I'm not sure I'd be down for fighting humans on a consistent basis, I would think it'd be interesting to fight against a squad of highly-trained Spartans. As is, all our shielded enemies are either:

- overly aggressive zealots who mostly fight on an individual level (covenant)
- "automated" soldiers with bullshit aimbots and high health levels (prometheans)

Seeing a group of enemy shielded Spartans who actually function as a team and make extensive use of cover, vantage points, hand signals, etc. would be a really interesting way to liven up the enemy ranks just as long as it was in isolated instances.

I really hope Jackals go back to being creepy, naked Space Vultures:

MUusfWC.jpg

suhpYMR.jpg

As opposed to angry Space Iguanas:

Maybe we can pretend the Halo 4 Jackals are just naked Skirmisher/Grunt crossbreeds.

If they have to keep them Gears-y, just use next-gen blast processing to keep the pencil necks and give them some kind of frilly flappy neck thing that hangs off their neck.

It'd be interesting to see more reptilian Jackals that had weird Jurassic Park dino-style frills and gestures and crap.

If they have to keep them Gears-y, just use next-gen blast processing to keep the pencil necks and give them some kind of frilly flappy neck thing that hangs off their neck.

It'd be interesting to see more reptilian Jackals that had weird Jurassic Park dino-style frills and gestures and crap.

Eh, if they want that, just take the Skirmisher head, remove the feathers and color swap it to the Jackal brown. It would look a little more avian while still having a more meaty, aggressive edge. A frilly flappy neck on any design would be cool.

But lets be honest, this is still a better look:

Madness

Maybe we can pretend the Halo 4 Jackals are just naked Skirmisher/Grunt crossbreeds.

Mentioned this before, but I didn't like how they were homogenized into like one 'species' just different sizes. Similar structures, skin, etc. Just felt like a small, medium, large version of the same race instead of separate an distinct races united by a religion.

Here's hoping with the next game they really make each Covenant species distinct again in a sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom