• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
These threads need more JP gifs and less wrestling, methinks.

I was planning on running some customs on the 11th, once I'm done with all the holiday madness and I've caught up on personal projects. Definitely going to be Gabo-heavy.

Thats good to here for customs day soon but as for gifs i approve and respond with this one
clever-girl-o.gif

I just wanna chime in to say, OT19? must be some kind of record right?

If you count every major official Halo thread and count the Halo 3 OT as 5 (considering it was 100,000 posts), we actually have a whopping total of 54 OTs. No other GAF community comes close.

qg8.gif

GG.

EDIT:
This has quite a lot to answer for as well for the current state of halo.

I had more fun using the DMR than I ever had using the Halo 3 BR, especially when directly compared on H4's Ragnarok. Few things were as frustrating as shooting at someone in Halo 3 as they casually stroll to my base, disregarding my bullets because of how inconsistent that thing was. I think the battles still play out the same (relatively, in terms of player positioning for shootouts), except in Halo 4 we have more reliability with the DMR than with the BR in Halo 3's Valhalla. Granted, a 2x DMR would've been the best option, but when comparing the FUN of it, I'd choose the H4 DMR over any iteration of the BR.

Also, take into consideration the wealth of options players have to escape/delay a fight (sprint, AA's, etc.) so it kind of balances out, but I think H4 Ragnarok plays better than H3 Valhalla because the DMR was a better/more fun weapon to use IMO.

TheOddOne

Rewatched Halo Legends: Origin Part 2 and it is really too mysterious for its own good.

“There is a danger in secrets, both in seeking and in knowing. Some things are meant to be hidden from view. You see, some mysteries defy understanding and sometimes the things we know are untrue.”

jbbE2rEIQylWF2.png

“Some secrets should remain untouched.”

jxyXaNuQVHpWF.png

“Secrets can tempt your primal instincts and lead you again into war.”

iblwXcKZAaOQx3.gif

Mistel

Banned
qg8.gif

GG.

EDIT:

I had more fun using the DMR than I ever had using the Halo 3 BR, especially when directly compared on H4's Ragnarok. Few things were as frustrating as shooting at someone in Halo 3 as they casually stroll to my base, disregarding my bullets because of how inconsistent that thing was. I think the battles still play out the same (relatively, in terms of player positioning for shootouts), except in Halo 4 we have more reliability with the DMR than with the BR in Halo 3's Valhalla. Granted, a 2x DMR would've been the best option, but when comparing the FUN of it, I'd choose the H4 DMR over any iteration of the BR.

Also, take into consideration the wealth of options players have to escape/delay a fight (sprint, AA's, etc.) so it kind of balances out, but I think H4 Ragnarok plays better than H3 Valhalla because the DMR was a better/more fun weapon to use IMO.

The removal of inconsistencies is a positive thing with the less negative aspects of the halo 3 BR that the DMR did right my main issue with it is the zoom level where it stagnates game play a lot. I kinda like the H4 BR but give me the H3 beta carbine with the Anniversary pistol any day of the week and i'll be happy, I don't really like the long range combat the DMR brings to the sanbox same applies to the light rifle.

Rewatched Halo Legends: Origin Part 2 and it is really too mysterious for its own good.

“There is a danger in secrets, both in seeking and in knowing. Some things are meant to be hidden from view. You see, some mysteries defy understanding and sometimes the things we know are untrue.”

jbbE2rEIQylWF2.png

“Some secrets should remain untouched.”

jxyXaNuQVHpWF.png

“Secrets can tempt your primal instincts and lead you again into war.”

iblwXcKZAaOQx3.gif

...is that Solace in the second picture?

The removal of inconsistencies is a positive thing with the less negative aspects of the halo 3 BR that the DMR did right my main issue with it is the zoom level where it stagnates game play a lot. I kinda like the H4 BR but give me the H3 beta carbine with the Anniversary pistol any day of the week and i'll be happy, I don't really like the long range combat the DMR brings to the sanbox same applies to the light rifle.

RIP. Bungie always hated the idea of a utility weapon and tried their hardest to diminish its importance. They made the BR a mess on purpose with the intentions of people using more weapons instead of making the rest of the weapons in the sandbox useful by giving them unique traits and power in their respective roles.

People have been fighting this battle before Halo 3 released, but it's like nothing we did influenced anything they designed, even though a lot of the suggestions made sense instead of watering down the sandbox.

HTupolev

Actually shooting the Halo 4 DMR probably feels better than the Halo 3 BR, but it's not worth the extent to which it destroys overall map flow on something like Valhalla/Ragnarok. It's just not healthy to have a 3x zoom, high-damage-output, high-aim-assist, hitscan weapon with no other caveats as the utility tool in Halo BTB (or in general, but especially BTB).

And on smaller maps, between the shorter firing distances and fewer players to suck up bandwidth, the Halo 3 BR isn't really that inconsistant if you have a decent host. Though, being a projectile weapon, it is desperately in need of better visual impact indicators. Like the Halo 1 pistol. It's simply much easier to get a sense for the weapon behaviour in the game world when each shot pops very visibly when it hits the wall.

Mistel

Banned
RIP. Bungie always hated the idea of a utility weapon and tried their hardest to diminish its importance. They made the BR a mess on purpose with the intentions of people using more weapons instead of making the rest of the weapons in the sandbox useful by giving them unique traits and power in their respective roles.

People have been fighting this battle before Halo 3 released, but it's like nothing we did influenced anything they designed, even though a lot of the suggestions made sense instead of watering down the sandbox.

It defeats the point of a beta if you ignore feed back received from it the removal of a utiltily weapon for the horrible H3 BR is still something that I don't understand gameplay wise.

Actually shooting the Halo 4 DMR probably feels better than the Halo 3 BR, but it's not worth the extent to which it destroys overall map flow on something like Valhalla/Ragnarok. It's just not healthy to have a 3x zoom, high-damage-output, high-aim-assist, hitscan weapon with no other caveats as the utility tool in Halo BTB (or in general, but especially BTB).

I can't sum up the problems with the DMR better than this it is not worth sacrificing base game play for the long range combat it introduces. For Halo radio have someone talk about dinosaurs in it make it interesting.

Finally buckled and bought Silentium today. €18! Currently applying paper-mache to cover up that awful cover.

Hope it's as good as people have reported :)
Restructuring HaloGAF Radio for 2014. Leaner, meaner.

Suggestions welcome
Being actually leaner, meaner and more often would be great.

After the 2nd book, it's impossible to be worse.

"Bornstellar walked through the woods with his hippie buddies. He took a swig of space juice from his space canteen. It was shaped space-like, as though it was made of space. He then walked, and walked, and walked some more. The filthiest space hippie took a swim in the nearby lake and passed by an adolescent space whale. It smelled like lavender and snozzberries. DIDACT IS MASTER CHIEF'S FATHER. They finally arrived at their destination, a local Promethean Burning Man celebration. Space hippies were proudly displaying their crystal spires and togas. Some had elaborate tribal markings painted on them with snozzberry juice. The Librarian purchased t-shirts, doobie brother secret recipe brownies and some glowsticks from a nearby kiosk before returning. HALO ARRAY KILLED THE DINOSAURS. The strapping young Forerunner lifeworker prepared foldable chairs for her space hippie buddies, as the celebration was about to begin."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom