• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

So I just downloaded Quake Live and first thing I notice is the training center detailing some advanced techniques.

Halo needs this instead of watering down the gameplay. Give people an incentive to play more (to get better, that feeling of satisfaction and self-reward for improvement) other than through artificial means like unlocks and other fluff.

Watering down the gameplay? Let's be honest here, it's not like Halo was super complicated for someone to just pick up, that was the beauty of OG Halo. Introducing things like AAs, perks, etc are what made it complicated to just pick up for the first time.

Watering down the gameplay? Let's be honest here, it's not like Halo was super complicated for someone to just pick up, that was the beauty of OG Halo. Introducing things like AAs, perks, etc are what made it complicated to just pick up for the first time.

That being said, higher-level players did end up introducing some extra levels of depth ordinarily players wouldn't even bother considering: gandhi hopping, ogre twitches, throwing nades at power weapons to launch them to your location, the melee-grenade-melee combo, etc.

HTupolev

Poking about through the old HIH stuff on my hard drive.

People break stuff in the newer games, but tricking just felt so much more welcoming without all the barriers and crap everywhere. Took a lot of the soul out of it.

The middle of the last decade was glorious.

iJBA1LchJudnv.gif

That being said, higher-level players did end up introducing some extra levels of depth ordinarily players wouldn't even bother considering: gandhi hopping, ogre twitches, throwing nades at power weapons to launch them to your location, the melee-grenade-melee combo, etc.
Yep.

You want advanced techniques, not complicated gameplay mechanics.

It's like a wedding cake, except all the layers are creamy shit and frosted with authentic buttercream shit icing.

Oh, and I felt compelled to add some depth to Fudschshduysdhsch's timetable. Click to engirtherate.

isoc13lTc2Hnw.png

I approve.

I may or may not be biased though.

I feel like it's a bit inaccurate. I thought the Junior Tidal Wave of Shit first appeared in early 2012?

Fuchshshsshhdhdshd is right, zoojoo came in around somewhere like June or May 2012.

The Great Kerning, fucking lollll

Fuchsdh

Oh god, is he using Fishstick?

Sprint is on the left stick in default as well.

It's like a wedding cake, except all the layers are creamy shit and frosted with authentic buttercream shit icing.

Oh, and I felt compelled to add some depth to Fudschshduysdhsch's timetable. Click to engirtherate.

isoc13lTc2Hnw.png

You've got Zoojoo way too early, but you got the last part of it right with no labels, so good for you. "The Great Kerning" is the HaloFest thread.

HTupolev

Oh wow, I forgot I wasn't using Halo 4 default.

One day, maybe, game developers will learn about muscle memory. To this day I'm baffled that the 360 games don't include CE/2-esque control schemes. It's not like the 360 controller can't do them, outside of shifting B/W to the bumpers.

This wasn't to do with the game. This was an issue with OG Xbox controllers. It's not exactly depth, but just dealing with hardware in game. Nowadays when you see someone do it, it's just habit and about as useful as an appendix.

Mistel

Banned
Whoops! You are correct. Apologies to Shifty.

For some reason my sleep deprived mind was thinking Scythe.

Graphite, on the other hand, is good shit. Map is awesome.

Omg at that troll. I don't even.

I had a look at about 100 posts all of them where like this I doubt they are trolling if they are you could set your sights higher than waypoint. The ones i picked out where kinda a best of selection. I probably gets worse but I hate waypoint to browse and I had as much as I could stand.

As for Sub zero your reverse engineering idea is most likely true for near exact copies like the focus rifle, but overall its most likely a more primitive form of the technology that they had access to than hard light maybe from cache of technology they where looking for on 04 and most likely found at other sites.

tumblr_ma2ie6vSbn1r1gc59o1_500.gif

Hardlight Door as new AA? :p

Fuchsdh

One day, maybe, game developers will learn about muscle memory. To this day I'm baffled that the 360 games don't include CE/2-esque control schemes. It's not like the 360 controller can't do them, outside of shifting B/W to the bumpers.

I've played default control scheme every Halo. Only Halo 3/ODST really bothers me because of the bumper reloads.

I much prefer having sprint on the stick versus the bumpers like it was in Reach, even though that creates an awkwardness on the few occasions you need to crouch-jump.

I never said Halo was complicated to pick up and play. In fact, CE was arguably the most accessible yet easily had the most depth.

Watering down in the sense of making popcorn-shooting weapons and gimping movement options by making walking speed slower instead of making it tighter/faster. And to be honest, AA's didn't make things complicated because after using them once, you knew what they did; it made gameplay frustrating and stale because of how they are used on a moment-to-moment basis.

Player A shoots Player B once. Player B has sprint and Regen, and probably understands that killtimes are longer in later Halo games so they can just run away from the fight to recharge. This differs in CE because Player B had to fight back since there was nothing that could save them unless they were conscious enough in their movement to stay around cover or were confident in their positioning/skill to overpower Player A. There was nothing frustrating about this at the time, all they had to do was keep adding onto this formula with things like Red X's, changing the physics a bit (vehicles, grenading weapons, etc.) and other improvements made as time went on.

This gameplay changed in later Halo games not due to complication, but rather superfluous things being added to a CHAMPION gameplay formula.

I know right. Halo had a perfect balance of easy to pick up but there was also different skill levels. They think AA and stuff made it easier but it does not really.

Ghazi

Of course, that was another part of how good it was. At it's core CE (just using CE as an example) was extremely simple to understand and play, but there are deeper, more complicated mechanics that people figure out. That's what I love about games in general, all the unforeseen glitches and tactics people find. Flag juggling was great, so sad that doesn't work anymore :(

You've got Zoojoo way too early, but you got the last part of it right with no labels, so good for you. "The Great Kerning" is the HaloFest thread.

Exactly. It marks the key moment in the franchise where the new guard in 343's arsenal completely took over.

I know right. Halo had a perfect balance of easy to pick up but there was also different skill levels. They think AA and stuff made it easier but it does not really.

I don't think it was a matter of them wanting to make it "easier," rather them just wanting to change things and force people into specific playstyles. I think this plays into the whole "forcing players to coordinate" by changing gameplay mechanics instead of just leaving it as it was and expecting players to coordinate because they want to win and get better. They wanted a more "strategic" approach like Battlefield and other games with classes, but in the context of Halo combat.

Halo 2 and 3 took away the power of the individual player by requiring players to teamshoot to really be effective. Halo Reach and 4 gave some of that individual power back to the player by making more powerful, consistent weapons but they forced it in a different way by including AA's to spawn with, expecting players to coordinate and match up different AA's as a team. This never happened and it only lead to frustrating gameplay as we've seen over the past 2-3 years..

I had a look at about 100 posts all of them where like this I doubt they are trolling if they are you could set your sights higher than waypoint. The ones i picked out where kinda a best of selection. I probably gets worse but I hate waypoint to browse and I had as much as I could stand.

As for Sub zero your reverse engineering idea is most likely true for near exact copies like the focus rifle, but overall its most likely a more primitive form of the technology that they had access to than hard light maybe from cache of technology they where looking for on 04 and most likely found at other sites.

I just read through a couple of his threads/posts. The majority of people are agreeing with him. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I don't think it was a matter of them wanting to make it "easier," rather them just wanting to change things and force people into specific playstyles. I think this plays into the whole "forcing players to coordinate" by changing gameplay mechanics instead of just leaving it as it was and expecting players to coordinate because they want to win and get better. They wanted a more "strategic" approach like Battlefield and other games with classes, but in the context of Halo combat.

Halo 2 and 3 took away the power of the individual player by requiring players to teamshoot to really be effective. Halo Reach and 4 gave some of that individual power back to the player by making more powerful, consistent weapons but they forced it in a different way by including AA's to spawn with, expecting players to coordinate and match up different AA's as a team. This never happened and it only lead to frustrating gameplay as we've seen over the past 2-3 years..

Halo 2 and 3 had dual wield so that is why weapons weren't as powerful individually unless it was one that cant be dual wielded. In Reach and Halo 4 the AA,etc neutralized any individual power since it just makes things that much more unbalanced.

I approve.

I may or may not be biased though.

I feel like it's a bit inaccurate. I thought the Junior Tidal Wave of Shit first appeared in early 2012?

Fuchshshsshhdhdshd is right, zoojoo came in around somewhere like June or May 2012.

The Great Kerning, fucking lollll

I came here in October 2010. According to this, that'd make me the vanguard of Halo-cancer.

Halo 2 and 3 had dual wield so that is why weapons weren't as powerful individually unless it was one that cant be dual wielded.

I always found that to be a terrible way to balance out dual wielding over something like making more recoil or something else. Each individual weapon should not have been weaker..

Again, watering down the gameplay instead of balancing in other ways through unique traits and skill/ease-of-use.

Caayn

Poking about through the old HIH stuff on my hard drive.

People break stuff in the newer games, but tricking just felt so much more welcoming without all the barriers and crap everywhere. Took a lot of the soul out of it.

The middle of the last decade was glorious.

iJBA1LchJudnv.gif
The use of barriers got worse with every new game :( I still hope with every Halo game that's announced that they will quit that practice, but each time I end up disappointed.

It would end up like something from way point It will be the fastest OT ever just so we could make a new one, I am amazed that he got unbanned still.
tumblr_m9030jn6GN1qbshgko1_500.gif

dramatic reconstruction of a Speedy OT featuring Shillasuarus Rex :p

That would be cool I've got like 30 Jurassic park gifs and tons of SG-1 ones as well.

Halo IOT20I Nostalgia, Laura Dern and Dinosaurs Oh my
How about that for a title?

Oh I did a bit of checking around that person who hates the CE pistol loves automatics it gets worse drastically so just a choice selection of their posts:

These along make my head hurt and i'm barley through the last ten posts they have done.
Automatic weapons require skill
Halo 4 greatest thing ever

Speedy would most definitely be banned if he did an OT though. Shilling up the wazoo.

At this point, we should have a mod change the title to Jurassic Park OT

Yeah, MS employees can't make Halo OTs, that's just how it is Speedy, sorry.

tumblr_lwpdmnI8rY1qkyn4zo1_250.gif

But seriously I need to do an OT at some point, move over Speedy. I'm upset that AA are so accepted they add to many variables that affect game play to be beneficial, anniversary settings or bust really. Hey Fuchsdh it could be worse there are uglier fonts out there, what was wrong with the old font anyway?
Forget you guys, I already have half the graphics done! Including the header! :(

xNaeWHB.jpg

Nebula

"pre order now"

Haha go on Speedy. I'm looking forward to the subliminal messages and Shilling. It's going to be glorious.

Mistel

Banned

I mean the more advanced game play stuff could be taught in a little tutorial thing, so stuff like backpack reload and super grenade throws stripping it out seems a backwards way of doing it. Individual player shouldn't have to rely on the poor teammates that randoms are, AA really make gameplay worse even the most passive one.

Damn, reading those waypoint posts has me cringing.
Want some more?
Everyone has a different vision about what the perfect halo 5 would be is. I want to hear the variety of different viewpoints regarding this.

Naturally we will start with mine.

The most important thing I want for halo 5 is the return of race picking. I'm talking more than just elites too when I say this. I want there to be Spartans, Elites, Brutes, Promethean knights, and flood zombies to be available in every playlist.

All of these different races will have drastically different properties and gameplay differences, as well as having access to totally unique loadout options. Spartans will have access to UNSC weaponry on loadouts, as well as armor abilities like jetpack, thruster pack, etc. and certain perks. Elites, gameplay wise are slower and a larger target than Spartans, but have stronger shields, more health, and stronger melee attacks. Elites have access to covenant weaponry and abilities/perks. The brutes do not have any shields of any kind but have a much larger about of health that slowly regenerates in return. Brutes have access to brute weaponry, which I would have introduced in halo 5. Promethean knights are sort of slow and difficult to maneuver but have many very powerful abilities and access to the forerunner weaponry. Flood zombies don't have shielding and die quickly but they are viciously fast and tear enemies to pieces up close!

In any playlist you pick the race you like the best and have at! I want to emphasis that there would be much more to it than what I wrote; more differences and specials and properties between them I just don't want to write a novel on it.

This is the main one but I would also love to see more map interaction, such as various switches and buttons doing this and that with the map, gun variants, different projectile properties such as ballistics causing more flinch and plasma applying damage of time, hardlight doing this, needles doing that, etc. Custom armor and shields would be great as well.

Well that's that. My perfect halo 5. So what's yours?

Speedy that is the worst thing I've ever seen:
tumblr_m4yqyonXQ81qh3wnco1_500.gif

Are you going to have a write up about how DRM benefits players? :p

I mean the more advanced game play stuff could be taught in a little tutorial thing, so stuff like backpack reload and super grenade throws stripping it out seems a backwards way of doing it. Individual player shouldn't have to rely on the poor teammates that randoms are, AA really make gameplay worse even the most passive one.

Want some more?

Speedy that is the worst thing I've ever seen:
tumblr_m4yqyonXQ81qh3wnco1_500.gif

Are you going to have a write up about how DRM benefits players? :p

Nevermind misread DRM for DMR. DMR is awful. In all honesty though, I wouldn't mind if Microsoft brought back the DRM in a OPTIONAL WAY. Sell Install discs with One Time Use Activation codes as well as selling normal, physical discs. Let those who want to buy Digital Games without downloading 40+ GBs do so. I want to go all digital this generation, but I don't want to spend a whole day downloading games, nor do I want to miss out on actually owning a physical collection. :(

Madness

That's a horrible idea Speedy, what the hell? Why would you want locked, one-time use physical discs? How does that benefit anyone?

Halo Anniversary even has that "The Duke" control scheme.

Ghazi

Nevermind misread DRM for DMR. DMR is awful. In all honesty though, I wouldn't mind if Microsoft brought back the DRM in a OPTIONAL WAY. Sell Install discs with One Time Use Activation codes as well as selling normal, physical discs. Let those who want to buy Digital Games without downloading 40+ GBs do so. I want to go all digital this generation, but I don't want to spend a whole day downloading games, nor do I want to miss out on actually owning a physical collection. :(
e: I misunderstood you, thought you wanted discs that could only be used on one console, but was still a disc required to play with. But, I kinda like where you're going with this, so in that case:

29a3yIN.gif

Fuchsdh

That's a horrible idea Speedy, what the hell? Why would you want locked, one-time use physical discs? How does that benefit anyone?

People that don't care about resale and want a hard copy of their game have one for perpetuity? What bothers me about all-digital is I don't like the inability to make local backups of data in case servers go down or Microsoft implodes in the future.

In my mindset, for example, I really like Forza Motorsport 5, and it's my go to game so far. It's the only game I bought Digital because I know I'd never want to resell it, and I want to be able to play it whenever I want and never have to switch discs again. I wouldn't mind buying copies of Forza 6, Halo 5, Titan Fall, Destiny, etc as Digital copies because I know these are games I'll love and never want to get rid of.

at the same time, I don't want to spend 10 hours and download those games, nor do I want to miss out on collectors edition and pre-order bonuses because I buy digital. I wouldn't mind them making and selling optional one time install discs.

I wouldn't buy every game like this, games like Call of Duty are one and done games I sell after a few months, I wouldn't ever buy them digital.

Exactly. Randoms have always been an issue since Halo 2, yet they keep forcing these "team elements" expecting players to coordinate when things like party chats rise and Bungie/343 takes away Halo's ranking system and Custom Game options.

Never made any sense and nothing's changed in years. Look at Matchmaking; we're still forced to play the same crappy gametypes the devs want. Imagine having a CGB and playing those DLC maps whenever you wanted? Nahhh... That's crazy talk.

People that don't care about resale and want a hard copy of their game have one for perpetuity?

Technically speaking, could there be a way to put that license or whatever it is back onto the game disc should you want to give it away or resell it? Because I too would like to buy physical games and play straight from my HDD without the disc in the tray, but I'd like to have the option to let people borrow it or give it away if I wanted.

Fuchsdh

Technically speaking, could there be a way to put that license or whatever it is back onto the game disc should you want to give it away or resell it? Because I too would like to buy physical games and play straight from my HDD without the disc in the tray, but I'd like to have the option to let people borrow it or give it away if I wanted.

I'm sure there could, it's just an example of where that's never really going to happen.

Mistel

Banned
Exactly. Randoms have always been an issue since Halo 2, yet they keep forcing these "team elements" expecting players to coordinate when things like party chats rise and Bungie/343 takes away Halo's ranking system and Custom Game options.

Never made any sense and nothing's changed in years. Look at Matchmaking; we're still forced to play the same crappy gametypes the devs want. Imagine having a CGB and playing those DLC maps whenever you wanted? Nahhh... That's crazy talk.
Random's annoy me so much in objective games i'd get to the base secure the objective and have to juggle it back by myself with a drop shield as my only aid where my teammates didn't help at all. Also no more infinity gametypes please they escalate to who can get a long range power weapon and sit out of harms way whilst killing your team, a CGB would bed great to play random objective games like the stuff gabo makes.

Madness

Microsoft would foam at the mouth to charge full retail price for physical discs that are one time use. It's what they always wanted, same for publishers because it takes away resale/used games sales.

My problem is, most people are already covered with the existing model. Having every game be digital while still having full retail, physical releases.

Maybe they can alleviate some problems of slow downloads by allowing people to begin playing at 10 percent download or maybe allow downloads to begin the day before launch so that it's ready in time.

Ideally, I'd want the Blu-ray model, where you get a hard copy and a digital copy, but as long as the used games market exists, it wouldn't happen. You have to wonder though, why, when there is almost zero cost of manufacturing and production, digital games cost as much as their retail/physical versions.

post-884-0-15308500-1349991199.gif

I came here in October 2010. According to this, that'd make me the vanguard of Halo-cancer.

It's a hard job, but it pays well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Whoops! You are correct. Apologies to Shifty.

For some reason my sleep deprived mind was thinking Scythe.

Graphite, on the other hand, is good shit. Map is awesome.

Omg at that troll. I don't even.

I think Scythe should be rotates out by now. Actually a few months ago.

Ramirez

"Collector's Edition", I wonder if it's as rare as the cat helmet & Reach statue? Better hold on to that, might pay your kids college tuition some day.

"Collector's Edition", I wonder if it's as rare as the cat helmet & Reach statue? Better hold on to that, might pay your kids college tuition some day.

:lol

Oh boy, it must be my lucky day!
Even at my age my mom can't help herself and buys me at least one geek present every year. At least she is good about finding stuff on sale and knows what is too much.

heckfu

Banned
My brother bought me the Mega Bloks Warthog for Christmas. He was so jazzed about it.

(and so am I. I love building shit like that.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bone isn't really visible any more. Wolverine healing factor confirmed.

pain excruciating. Koala Bear manliness calibrated.

Bone isn't really visible any more. Wolverine healing factor confirmed.

pain excruciating. Koala Bear manliness calibrated.

I also have wolverine healing skills! Everything of mine I've destroyed (hair included) usually grows back pretty quick.

also frankie pls answer my lore whore questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom