• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

heckfu

Banned
I'm hoping Ellis makes mention of how well he's doing in the bracket pool. He deserves it for getting Microsoft to fix the games.

I keep hearing how awesome this series is, but I've never played any Metroid. How bad should I feel about myself, and which one(s) should I play?
Metroid Prime 1-3, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid (ZeroMission), Metroid 2.

That's it. But mainly you should play MP. It shows how good boss fights can be implanted into a ego-shooter. If bosses in Halo 4, then I hope like Metroid Prime.

Redford

aka Cabbie
End of level Scarab-type bosses are the best and only Halo bosses. Hopefully we'll get a fantastic, titanic equivalent in Forerunner motif.

I like my bosses more like Halo 3's Chieftains and Scarabs, less like Tartarsauce and the Heretic. I think of them more as climactic battles, than straight bosses.

I like mini boss style encounters, Think of them as leaders of squad units for example, High ranking brutes and stuff actually make alot of sense to be mini bosses.

Tartarus style boss battles aint the worst that could happen but not every level maybe 1 or 2 during a game. Scarab's are terribly easy and i much prefered the Halo 2 final scarab room to blowing the core ala Halo 3.

Boss battles can be great if implemented right but Halo is getting by fine as it is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
343 (can't remember who) said there's going to be some sort of useable vehicle bigger than the mech in Warhouse. Lots of potential there.

Overdoziz

Banned
I like mini boss style encounters, Think of them as leaders of squad units for example, High ranking brutes and stuff actually make alot of sense to be mini bosses.

Tartarus style boss battles aint the worst that could happen but not every level maybe 1 or 2 during a game. Scarab's are terribly easy and i much prefered the Halo 2 final scarab room to blowing the core ala Halo 3.

Boss battles can be great if implemented right but Halo is getting by fine as it is.
I agree on the Scarab part. I do like how dynamic they are in Halo 3, but it's a bit too easy to destroy it. I'd prefer it if you would actually have to get inside the scarab where a load of enemies would hole up. Make it a bit of a challenge.

TheOddOne

343 (can't remember who) said there's going to be some sort of useable vehicle bigger than the mech in Warhouse. Lots of potential there.
Yeah, it was Fronkie:
Will the mid-construction mech seen on one of the Multiplayer levels appear in some form in the campaign of Halo 4? –Franc and Co

The Cyclops 2 seen in the center of War House will not be playable. But we will have some vehicle surprises, at least one of which will dwarf that weapon.
Also we can safely say the Cyclope 2 will be in the campaign (I guess, because they did not deny it).

CyReN

NHLGaf > NBAGaf

and some more posters I'm handing out this weekend since I'm a whore.

fB96D.jpg

Fuchsdh

Nope, PsychGAF is the best.

I'm the only member of it.

The TV show? Or the medical field? Or the verb?

Either way, I shall join your GAF of one.

NHLGaf > NBAGaf

and some more posters I'm handing out this weekend since I'm a whore.

fB96D.jpg

Pretty nice--and a lot more attractive than the original Fairey, I might add, which made Obama look like some melting Gobstopper.

Are you willing to toss us a hi-rez copy for wallpaper/large-format printing ourselves?

I can't get over the beauty of Halo 4.
The ingame rendering for Halo 4 looks as good as, if not better than, the CGI for Halo 3.
Seriously awesome work 343i.

2820210-web_preview.png

185215-halo_ar_super.jpg

Fuchsdh

If anyone wants a 2-day XBLIVE pass and/or Master Chief avatar armor (male and female), let me know. Trying to get rid of these inserts in my Anniversary box.

If you know who Burton Guster and Shawn Spencer are, you may join my clan.

Hypertrooper is excluded. His hate for Psych will not stand.

I don't know how you can hate Psych. At its worst, it's light, fluffy, highly watchable entertainment. At its best, it's one of the best comedies currently running.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Cyren, nice job.

And yeah, Halo 4 looks absolutely fucking gorgeous so far. That H4 pic looks automatically better than the H3 one thanks to BR.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I can't get over the beauty of Halo 4.
The ingame rendering for Halo 4 looks as good as, if not better than, the CGI for Halo 3.
Seriously awesome work 343i.

2820210-web_preview.png

185215-halo_ar_super.jpg
Oh yeah?

Well how about when you try and make them have each others colors!?:

wScKf.jpg

8HmKU.jpg

GhaleonEB

The Scarabs weren't terribly difficult or complex, but they offered a lot of ways to take down, often in spectacular fashion. My favorite still being on The Ark, and using the grav lift equipment atop the central building to vault my Chopper onto the Scarab as it walked by. That's what I meant by 'climactic battles' - Halo has seldom felt as epic as when launching onto giant walking platforms of destruction, clearing it, and blowing it sky-high.

There are certainly ways to make it more challenging, but what I want from my bosses is flexibility based on the tools available in the combat sandbox, rather than the pattern memorization that Halo 2's had.

TheOddOne

There are multiple Halo 4 screenshots.
Ok, I'm not trying to be rude but from the context you said it; I thought you ment those two pictures. If you had said "All the Halo 4 screenshots released so far are bullshit", then well I would have not made that sarcastic reply.

There are certainly ways to make it more challenging, but what I want from my bosses is flexibility based on the tools available in the combat sandbox, rather than the pattern memorization that Halo 2's had.
Yeah, now that you mention it; that is the only way I like fighting in Halo. Still if they applied the sandbox philosophy onto bosses, that would be an interesting experiment.

kylej

Banned
ok so if NBA gaf has been posting about Devo for like a year then yeah that is weird as shit.

btw, some of you know it's David Ellis, right? I see people use Ellis all the time and just wanted to make sure... that ain't the man's first name.

Metroid Prime 1-3, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid (ZeroMission), Metroid 2.

That's it. But mainly you should play MP. It shows how good boss fights can be implanted into a ego-shooter. If bosses in Halo 4, then I hope like Metroid Prime.
All right, I'm gonna get Metroid Prime and play it before H4 comes out. It means I'll have to dust off the Wii, but at least it'll finally get some use. :)

I like my bosses more like Halo 3's Chieftains and Scarabs, less like Tartarsauce and the Heretic. I think of them more as climactic battles, than straight bosses.
Please, no Halo 2 style boss fights in a Halo game ever again. Boss fights can really ruin a game for me, as Deux Ex: HR did so spectacularly. Haven't picked it back up since that first boss. :-\

I've been called worse.
So long no one called you Hitler, it is okay.

All right, I'm gonna get Metroid Prime and play it before H4 comes out. It means I'll have to dust off the Wii, but at least it'll finally get some use. :)

Please, no Halo 2 style boss fights in a Halo game ever again. Boss fights can really ruin a game for me, as Deux Ex: HR did so spectacularly. Haven't picked it back up since that first boss. :-\
Play MP1-2 with the controller and not the wiimote.

Yep. Deus Ex: HR is a pretty good example that boss fights can be worse for a game. Otherwise Eidos Montreal made a pretty stupid decision to outsource the boss fights.

Try to finish the game! Upgrade your typhoon for the bosses so you'll be done in 10 seconds. If you enjoyed the overall gameplay, you should certainly give it another try because the overall game is really awesome.

Deus Ex got the boss fight right in the DLC
Just a big room where you have to reach and take out one, not over powered, boss. You can reach him via stealth or just by shooting the place up. That's the way the other bosses in Deus Ex should have been
And that's also the way I'd like to see boss fights in Halo 4.

Top Bottom