• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

CyReN

Good news the MLG Halo crowd, 153 passes sold online last night, and a lot of have been emailed to buy at the door Friday. Potentially this is how many for Columbus: 1,000 plus in a Friday FFA, potentially 832 Halo 4v4 competitors. Looks like we may sell out.

Good news the MLG Halo crowd, 153 passes sold online last night, and a lot of have been emailed to buy at the door Friday. Potentially this is how many for Columbus: 1,000 plus in a Friday FFA, potentially 832 Halo 4v4 competitors. Looks like we may sell out.

This event is going to be so good :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
153 alone last night? In one day?

daedalius

Halo 4 needs multiple bosses.

Discuss.

As long as they have challenging and interesting mechanics;

basically the opposite of Tartarus.

More like Metroid prime bosses, could get behind something like that. Would definitely need some sort of lateral evade in single-player though.

TheOddOne

More like Metroid prime bosses, could get behind something like that. Would definitely need some sort of lateral evade in single-player though.
Funny that you mention that, because I was watching the Metroid retrospective on Gametrailers and that triggered the idea of multiple bosses in Halo 4.

Big Baddie who you get to fight at the end of levels, who is ofcource connected to the whole lore.

To me a big baddie at the end of every level just seems so forced. I don't know how else to put it. I like how streamlined the battle and story lines are without the need for a big baddie.

Big Baddie who you get to fight at the end of levels, who is ofcource connected to the whole lore.

That seems a little forced. Honestly, when it comes to bosses, just follow in H3's footsteps, and I've already gone to great lengths to explain why. No need to make my posts grating by repeating myself.

TheOddOne

To me a big baddie at the end of every level just seems so forced. I don't know how else to put it. I like how streamlined the battle and story lines are without the need for a big baddie.
I guess I just miss the days of frequent boss battles. I do understand the sentiment that it just might be forced, filler like thing to do in game, still if they are done correctly and intrestingly they can bring something substantial to the game.

It can also kind of be a stop-gap between more evolving enemies or even introduce new mechanics that compliment the gameplay further on.

As long as they have challenging and interesting mechanics;

basically the opposite of Tartarus.

I keep hearing how awesome this series is, but I've never played any Metroid. How bad should I feel about myself, and which one(s) should I play?

Last night I dreamt that 343 revealed a new enemy for Halo 4: a giant, hulking, bipedal, tiger-like cat.
Last night I dreamt that I was a sidekick in The Big Lebowski 2. It was awesome.

Fun Facts:
- Today is the first day of Spring.
- My birthday is the first day of Fall. (Sept. 22nd) Today is my half-birthday.
- Devo is exactly half a year older than me.
- My little brother's birthday is today. I am exactly 2.5 years older than him. We are the Equinox Bros.
- My brother and I don't have any more siblings because the timing would be too difficult for Solstice Bros. (Duncans only have boys.)
Is your mom/dad a wizard? A Celt? Hippie? Were you and your brother "born" in a secret lab owned by the military? Is your skeleton made of metal or bone?

Since you and your brother were born on the equinoxes, is one of you the "Daylight Duncan" and the other "Night Duncan"? Has this stuff affected you costume choices for Halloween? So man questions! What are the odds of this happening?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It just seems so artificial and formulaic. Obviously I don't reject formulas in general (Halo is highly formulaic), but throwing a boss at the end would be jarring. Seems like it would run counter to the flow of both the gameplay and the plot.

Last night I dreamt that I was a sidekick in The Big Lebowski 2. It was awesome.
Whoa.

I keep hearing how awesome this series is, but I've never played any Metroid. How bad should I feel about myself, and which one(s) should I play?
I'm once again in the minority, but I'd recommend ignoring the 3D titles. Super Metroid (SNES and Wii VC) and Zero Mission for the GBA are absolutely godly, tho. If you must, play Metroid Prime 1. Just be prepared for it to get reallllll boring half way through.

2015 edit: Ignore my previous Metroid advice and please play the Prime games in addition to the 2D games. They're all awesome. Thank you.

How do these numbers compare to last year?

Fuchsdh

I think Halo's later campaigns proved how it's preferable not to have boss battles. I'd rather have epic, unfolding battles--you push forward, they fall back, etc.

Boss battles are pretty much dependent on "I am Big Bad staying pretty still so the player can shoot me at various times". It just doesn't fit as organically to story progression in my mind. Can you make it work? Sure. But it's a spice that's best used sparingly.

CyReN

How do these numbers compare to last year?

Rough estimates I did last night:

• Dal - 177+
  • Ana - 140+
  • CBUS - 177+
  • Orl - 120+
  • Ral - 120+
  • Prov - 80
  • CBUS 12 - 153+ (potentially 20+ at the door right now)

A lot of what 343i did helped MLG community a lot looking at the numbers.

Rough estimates I did last night:

• Dal - 177+
  • Ana - 140+
  • CBUS - 177+
  • Orl - 120+
  • Ral - 120+
  • Prov - 80
  • CBUS 12 - 153+ (potentially 20+ at the door right now)

A lot of what 343i did helped MLG community a lot looking at the numbers.

Without 343's update we would be so boned right now.

Is your mom/dad a wizard? A Celt? Hippie?
My parents have never admitted it, but I'm pretty sure they were both hippies in high school.
Were you and your brother "born" in a secret lab owned by the military?
Does Texas count? I haven't been back since.
Is your skeleton made of metal or bone?
Compressed Ovaltine powder.
Since you and your brother were born on the equinoxes, is one of you the "Daylight Duncan" and the other "Night Duncan"? Has this stuff affected you costume choices for Halloween?
Yes.
So man questions! What are the odds of this happening?
Never tell me the odds.

Heh. An entire community just got Devo'd. Now I'm curious what was said.

From what I could find:
I assume posting this is acceptable, it's not as if the thread was deleted, the posts are still accessible.
JambiBum said:
AShep, you ended Devolution's birthday thread with the best possible last post
Timedog said:
Sports are really cool.
Ashep said:
Sorry bro. If narcissism and delusions of grandeur were sports you and your hoss would have that shit on lock. .
aznpxdd said:
Yes, loved that thread. AShep is a hero.
KidA Seven said:
Soo good.

Anyway did Ellis say when that podcast would be out?

TheOddOne

I think Halo's later campaigns proved how it's preferable not to have boss battles. I'd rather have epic, unfolding battles--you push forward, they fall back, etc.

Boss battles are pretty much dependent on "I am Big Bad staying pretty still so the player can shoot me at various times". It just doesn't fit as organically to story progression in my mind. Can you make it work? Sure. But it's a spice that's best used sparingly.
Halo should retain it's key epic, unfolding battles. Rather more stop-gaps would not be a bad thing. I understand that does kind of ruin the flow of it all, which interferes with Halo key gameplay elements.

A brief story, we were playing reflection the other day, when I say we, I mean me, Bobs and Popular Kittens Shanti. Anyway, there we are playing team slayer, when bobs informs us that red team have sword, to which I say "I'll handle it" because I had rockets.

However, out of the blue, comes Bobs, who decided that he would ignore my advice and decided to throw grenades like a mad man, which led to a less than desirable outcome...

Damn you Bobs!

What Sword guy? I just wanted to stick you.

No but really, that would have been an awesome stick if you didnt stand on it. Actually it was an even more awesome stick because it got you. :p

Also, happy birthday Devo!

I think NBA-GAF also had many references to themselves as "bestGAF" in that time frame, which probably didn't help their case.

Since everyone knows
Neo
GAF is bestGAF.

Trey

Is there something wrong with what I said? Let me know. I'm open to criticism.

It's nothing offensive or anything. There was just so much potential there...

This talk of Halo bosses intrigues me, but i think the concept itself could use a novel approach. Just don't take control away from the player.

Top Bottom