• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Risen

According to Achronos, it's because syncing the film data required uploading a rather large binary blob to each player in the party, so unless you watched a full game clip from the start (and it was only reliable if it was in everyone's recent history), you usually ended up starting at a black screen for 3 minutes and then everyone else timed out and dropped. Even when it worked you risked someone dropping out if you rewinded or fast forwarded.

I believe Luke Smith mentioned in one of the threads that if they knew how poorly multi-person viewing was going to perform on Live, it would have been cut completely from Halo 3. Reach 'fixed' it by forcing the Theater lobby to a single person, so I guess local-split viewing of films was a side casualty of that move.

I've definitely heard this before, but outside of clips I rarely encountered any issue. I think it was an excuse used to cut something the developer didn't consider vital in order to shoe horn some other feature into the game. I would have rather had the H3 version of theater in Reach than a more fleshed out forge world.

Isn't Waypoint meant to be the social Halo tool?
I can see a day where everything social runs through it rather than being implemented in the game and Waypoint just sugar coatting or dumbing down stuff.

Plus Waypoint can be run from almost every popular device.

Hell, I can even picture launching a game through Waypoint or it instantly running alongside the game when Halo X boots.

This, I don't want after more thought. If that's the only way it could work... I'd accept it, and be thankful there was an option, but I really don't want to have to leave H4 as a group in order to view films. I get online and play Halo to play a kick ass game with friends whom I enjoy playing. This extends to feature sets within the game such as Theater. I don't want to segment my time further than it already is.

According to Achronos, it's because syncing the film data required uploading a rather large binary blob to each player in the party, so unless you watched a full game clip from the start (and it was only reliable if it was in everyone's recent history), you usually ended up starting at a black screen for 3 minutes and then everyone else timed out and dropped. Even when it worked you risked someone dropping out if you rewinded or fast forwarded.

I believe Luke Smith mentioned in one of the threads that if they knew how poorly multi-person viewing was going to perform on Live, it would have been cut completely from Halo 3. Reach 'fixed' it by forcing the Theater lobby to a single person, so I guess local-split viewing of films was a side casualty of that move.

Seems bizzare that they cut the entire feature rather than just disabled multiplayer viewing of clips. I mean it didnt take toooooo much brainpower to realize on Halo 3 to just stick with full films when clips refused to work. Im sure the average game figured out the pretty easy workaround quickly enough.

Its like burning down your entire house when you see a spider in the bath... When you could just as easily burn down the bath :)P) and still keep the rest of the house.

Hey Elzar, I have SSX and so from this point on we are mortal enemies.

Risen

@ Cyren regarding Aim Acceleration:

Man I remember HATING the difference in feel of aiming moving from H2 to H3... but in playing customs last night H3 aiming feels so much better than Reach. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but I was shocked I was saying it felt better lol.

@ Tashi:

In those same customs I dropped a couple triples and all I could think was that I was getting the Tashi lol.

Karl2177

Seems bizzare that they cut the entire feature rather than just disabled multiplayer viewing of clips. I mean it didnt take toooooo much brainpower to realize on Halo 3 to just stick with full films when clips refused to work. Im sure the average game figured out the pretty easy workaround quickly enough.

To add to your argument, 3 also only had 100 limits of custom content. Reach has (as far as I know) infinite. There's no reason why you couldn't save the full film(which wasn't the issue with H3 films) and watch it party style.

@ Cyren regarding Aim Acceleration:

Man I remember HATING the difference in feel of aiming moving from H2 to H3... but in playing customs last night H3 aiming feels so much better than Reach. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but I was shocked I was saying it felt better lol.

@ Tashi:

In those same customs I dropped a couple triples and all I could think was that I was getting the Tashi lol.

I feel that the aim acceleration in H3 is the worst. I notice it when I got from Reach to 3, hate aiming in 3. Of course, they are both crap compared to the butter smooth H2.

Risen

I feel that the aim acceleration in H3 is the worst. I notice it when I got from Reach to 3, hate aiming in 3. Of course, they are both crap compared to the butter smooth H2.

I'm not sure I can positively differentiate input lag from aim acceleration when aiming. Too much is going on in my old brain while I'm playing to easily separate the two. But I can definitively say it felt more responsive to me last night playing H3 than Reach that I've been playing every night for the last few weeks. What sensitivity do you use?

I'm not sure I can positively differentiate input lag from aim acceleration when aiming. Too much is going on in my old brain while I'm playing to easily separate the two. But I can definitively say it felt more responsive to me last night playing H3 than Reach that I've been playing every night for the last few weeks. What sensitivity do you use?

I switch between 3 and 4 from time to time. At some point, the differences probably just come down to personal preference of how it feels.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So this is what Lebron feels like huh?

As far as I can tell, aim acceleration doesn't exist lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Did you play Halo 2?

I also play on 3 or 4 Steelyuhas.
I played all the Halo games, extensively. CE the least though. I don't play them now though. But even when I played Halo 2 not too long ago I didn't have much trouble adjusting. My adaption skill is maxed out apparently. Lol

Its like burning down your entire house when you see a spider in the bath... When you could just as easily burn down the bath :)P) and still keep the rest of the house.

I love this analogy.

And I agree. If there's no problem with viewing full matches with multiple people online, then why not enable just that? That on its own is a great feature.

Someone at waypoint just posted this but, what if Mechs were playable in multiplayer as a vehicle. It should be a given for campaign... But imagine a mini-mech type vehicle for BTB games.

*inb4gofuckyourselfihateyoubanned*

As a genuine fan of anything involving mechs, I support this idea.

FyreWulff

I wish you could have per-weapon sensitivity, or at least scope-level sensitivity. I used to use 10 in Halo 2 (critical for my objective play), went down slightly to 7 or so in Reach, but would like it if I could dynamically change to 1 or 2 while holding a Sniper.

Also an option to change your sticks/controls for when you're in a vehicle, so more people can discover the glory that is Legacy driving.

Wow, that is awesome that you don't notice it lol.

I am constantly reminded of it, especially in H3.

I really don't notice it either, I play on 5 sens.

I kinda noticed it (the lack of it) when i LAN'd H2 last weekend, kinda like something was missing or something. Got over it real quick though.

Schmitty

OMG I go away for a few days on a little vacation and Halo 4 vidoc happens...Awesome

Any good gifs that I missed? No way I'm flipping through all the countless pages that were probably added.

Cool write up Devo. I may have to play some Halo tonight

daedalius

So I wonder if 343 is going to start employing a legion of environment artists to finish out all of the spaces for Halo 4?

Plz tell me Frankie/David.

Oh, huh. Guess it shows how little Reach's characters hit for me.

Sorry for thinking you were being rude. <3 Hyper
Me rude? No way! I'm not one of these guys who are pretending to be someone else on the web. Every time I post something kind of rude, I feel guilty afterwards.
So I wonder if 343 is going to start employing a legion of environment artists to finish out all of the spaces for Halo 4?

Plz tell me Frankie/David.
Want to know what they are looking for right now? http://www.microsoftjobs-343.com/

The Concept art for the spartans always looks great its typically why i grab the art books.

Click to make bigger

The Art oh Halo 3 also has some great ones but i cant find any pics of it online.
Which art book is the first one from? I must not have it.. I know I missed out on the Halo 3 one =(

OMG I go away for a few days on a little vacation and Halo 4 vidoc happens...Awesome

Any good gifs that I missed? No way I'm flipping through all the countless pages that were probably added.

Cool write up Devo. I may have to play some Halo tonight

Here

Top Bottom