• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

CyReN

MLG Fans..

Status Quo - Flame, Enable, Royal 2, Snakebite

1Gjtz.gif

MrBig

I started playing Mass Effect 3 and I have to say that the setpiece battle far outclass Reach. The Turian moon was just insane.
Story has been just as weird and awkwardly non-enthusiastic about the destruction as Reach though. Still good none the less (and I'm currently at 6 hours which is the total playtime for my first go at Reach but yet I'm still just getting started).

CyReN

I'm down. That's how I got my achievement, hah.

I'd also be down to play anything other than Living Dead.

By the way I almost removed you, I'm like who the hell is this 666 guy lol.

Just invite me (gt - cyren ce) whenever you guys are doing it, I'll be playing ME3 until then.

zap

We full partied going after the achievement once. It took 3 games before Condemned even came up as an option (including veto screens)

When we tried, it would never show up, until Letters came in and we got Condemned 3+ times in a row.

He had the magic touch I guess

TCKaos

By the way, if anyone has spotted any exploits in any of the Heavies maps (or any map in MM, really) now is the time to speak up so they can be caught as the authors are updating all their maps.

Could the Banshees be put closer to spawn on Typhoon? I had to deal with my team constantly losing the Banshee last game because no one could figure out where it was or how to get to it, resulting in it being stolen by the other team as soon as it spawned.

There wasn't a moment where there wasn't an enemy Banshee in the sky. It was horrifying.

Magni

Anyone know what the 1.4 update for Halo Waypoint for Windows Phone did? I downloaded it today and didn't notice any differences.

I thought it was gonna fix the login bug, but no, it's still borked. Works properly maybe 15% of the time for me :(

I never see people use inclement weather.

Every single game. Probably what I see the most of besides Default. I never see people with Pestilence or whatever it's called.
edit: it's not like *everyone* is using it, but I feel like there's almost always 1/2 guy(s) with it.

has dlc showed up for any of you guys, last night i got to play it 4 times a new record!!!!!!

I got to play my first game on Solitary! SWAT 3v3, it was... slow. And another on Anchor 9, nice to finally get some DLC maps.

Concerning the achievements, I'm still so far from completing Reach's, whereas for Halo 3 I 1000'd within a month IIRC, and then got the DLC achievements rather quickly (except the Mythic Perf, which I got the week before Reach launched :D). I really need to do them, and then once I have all of them but one, I can finally use Armor Lock for the first time in MM ever :D (fuck that achievement, I don't want to use that shitty AA)

Magni

Oh, that Anchor 9 game..

LxIpo.png

I've played 25h of SWAT so far, I should have a proper hidden skill rank giving me close games by now, right?

16 games of SWAT tonight, went positive 14 times, and won only six of those (despite +15 here, +17 there..). I know I'm beating a dead horse, but still, it's frustrating :(

edit: just remembered, I have a score of 20 despite 21 kills because of one spawn right on the edge of the map.. that was fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are folks playing tonight? I'll be on around 9pm PST.

Halo 4: don't make so many fucking playlists that matchmaking becomes futile.
Frankie says they're gonna be consolidated and focused. I mean, it can't be worse than Reach's various playlist debacles.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo 4: don't make so many fucking playlists that matchmaking becomes futile.

Yup. It's not something 343 started either, it just seems like with Reach Bungie decided to take years of playlist management rules and just chuck them out the window.

Whatever happened to "we don't want to fragment the online population"? When you've hit the maximum amount of playlists the online infrastructure can handle, I think it's time to concede the online population is fragmented.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I still don't understand why they removed Squad Slayer tossed in another 4v4 Slayer Playlist and made Objective 5v5.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why they removed Squad Slayer tossed in another 4v4 Slayer Playlist and made Objective 5v5.
It's totally nonsensical.

Super Slayer: Remove armor lock, remove community Forge maps, give DLC maps higher weighting, and give it a better name than Super Slayer. Then I'll be happy.

And 5v5 Objective is just pure why.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They removed squad slayer? That was the only playlist I ever bothered to enter besides the specific DLC playlists :/
Yes, they were all "blah, blah, blah, with the TU data we saw everyone enjoys TU/Vanilla/Dinosaur Shotguns! So we're removing Squad and giving you 4v4 TU Slayer called Super slayer! Also Objective is 5v5 now for no reason."* <---Actual quote

Not actual quote but close enough.

kylej

Banned
nobody involved with Halo actually plays Halo, hence the removal of Squad Slayer. It is as it has always been and how it will always be.

also, started ME3 just now. a hearty LOL goes out to Bungie's "end of the world" game. First 5 minutes I've got big ass Reapers ripping apart the city. First 5 minutes of Reach I ran past a pack of flamingos.

nobody involved with Halo actually plays Halo, hence the removal of Squad Slayer. It is as it has always been and how it will always be.

also, started ME3 just now. a hearty LOL goes out to Bungie's "end of the world" game. First 5 minutes I've got big ass Reapers ripping apart the city. First 5 minutes of Reach I ran past a pack of flamingos.

hey. they're moa. get it right

also, glad to see that the beginning of ME3 is cool. but I doubt it's as cool as hanging out with the moa

CyReN

Anybody know how to fix a right analog stick that goes up by itself when lightly touches? Basically brand new glossy black controller if it matters.

By the way, if anyone has spotted any exploits in any of the Heavies maps (or any map in MM, really) now is the time to speak up so they can be caught as the authors are updating all their maps.

Revenants going full light speed is a well known bug, don't know if it can be fixed by re-doing the floor.

Anybody know how to fix a right analog stick that goes up by itself when lightly touches? Basically brand new glossy black controller if it matters.
As far as I know, you're shit out of luck. You got a lemon. One of the controllers I had was like that too, made playing Skate impossible.

Nothing in Halo is as face-meltingly dumb as the Reaper's origins, however.

It's just a big pile of stupid and plothole.

FyreWulff

Yup. It's not something 343 started either, it just seems like with Reach Bungie decided to take years of playlist management rules and just chuck them out the window.

Whatever happened to "we don't want to fragment the online population"? When you've hit the maximum amount of playlists the online infrastructure can handle, I think it's time to concede the online population is fragmented.

343 added when they took over:

Anniversary Firefight (redundant to FF Arcade)
Anniversary FFA (redundant to Rumble Pit)
Anniversary Squad
Anniversary BTB (redundant to Big Team Battle)
Anniversary Classic
TU Beta (later became Zero Bloom) (yet another Slayer 4v4 list)

The silly choice of making the Anniversary release only have one of the DLC packs on it and thefore splitting in two is what has us in this situation of playlist gluttony. Squad DLC is on it's deathbed but they're not going to delete it because it'll leave one vanilla playlist behind that isn't a fringe gametype (Team Slayer) and their "default Reach will remain default" / "Vanilla Reach will always remain available" line gets even sillier.

Whatever happened to "we don't want to fragment the online population"?

Funny, I remember this line being uttered by 343 when asked why they didn't release the original Halo 1 multiplayer. Then they go and fragment Reach anyway. They wrote themselves into this situation and I don't feel sorry for them at all. Having to delete a unique playlist just to make room for the return of your beta list down the line should tell you that maybe it's time to telling everyone on the Anniversary disc to redeem their map pack code and play via normal Reach.

kylej

Banned
hey. they're moa. get it right

also, glad to see that the beginning of ME3 is cool. but I doubt it's as cool as hanging out with the moa

somehow there are huge skyboxes/vistas and the game runs at a steady framerate. I'm not quite comprehending it o_o

also I want to bang Liara this go around. Her boobs are outrageous in ME3. Good work Bioware. A+

Funny, I remember this line being uttered by 343 when asked why they didn't release the original Halo 1 multiplayer. Then they go and fragment Reach anyway. They wrote themselves into this situation and I don't feel sorry for them at all.
That was a really frustrating excuse to listen to, as they also said it's because they didn't have the time to add it under the release deadline. Either way, I haven't even booted up Reach since November, and I haven't touched its multiplayer since before that. Oh if I could live in the parallel universe that actually had a version of Halo CE with decent online play.

Overdoziz

Banned
somehow there are huge skyboxes/vistas and the game runs at a steady framerate. I'm not quite comprehending it o_o

also I want to bang Liara this go around. Her boobs are outrageous in ME3. Good work Bioware. A+
Demo ran at a cinematic framerate at times.

FyreWulff

That was a really frustrating excuse to listen to, as they also said it's because they didn't have the time to add it under the release deadline. Either way, I haven't even booted up Reach since November, and I haven't touched its multiplayer since before that. Oh if I could live in the parallel universe that actually had a version of Halo CE with decent online play.

I'm glad they didn't do it. Making Halo 1 work online exactly like the original would have required using the same netcode that they did for Anniversary Campaign Co-op.

"Flag's going towards the caves! Well, at least on my box he is.."

I'm glad they didn't do it. Making Halo 1 work online exactly like the original would have required using the same netcode that they did for Anniversary Campaign Co-op.
I'd settle for the netcode they've been using for multiplayer, of course. Just not something abhorrent like Halo PC's where everything gets incoherent and janky beyond belief.

FyreWulff

I'd settle for the netcode they've been using for multiplayer, of course. Just not something abhorrent like Halo PC's where everything gets incoherent and janky beyond belief.

Some people would push through it (like they do on XBC), but other people would have gone nuclear at having jittery first person movement and upwards of 3 second delays for actions. And they wouldn't have been able to get away with the cheat 4J used when they took Perfect Dark online by disabling all physics objects if you're playing online (to prevent them from desyncing). edit: As an aside, I'm installing a door + frame in a 110 year old house right now. Someone kill me.

Some people would push through it (like they do on XBC), but other people would have gone nuclear at having jittery first person movement and upwards of 3 second delays for actions. And they wouldn't have been able to get away with the cheat 4J used when they took Perfect Dark online by disabling all physics objects if you're playing online (to prevent them from desyncing).
I'm saying they should use the mp netcode, not co-op. I mean I'm clearly not a networking engineer but I see it as if Red Faction Guerilla can have smooth multiplayer featuring all the environment destruction, then Halo CE can have its rubbery Warthogs and flags.

FyreWulff

I'm saying they should use the mp netcode, not co-op. I mean I'm clearly not a networking engineer but I see it as if Red Faction Guerilla can have smooth multiplayer featuring all the environment destruction, then Halo CE can have its rubbery Warthogs and flags.

RFG was made with async multiplayer over the internet in mind. Halo CE was made with the assumption that all the Xboxes were on the same network and just passed around button presses in a frame relay. That's the short explanation.

It's theoretically possible to make Halo 1 work online, as Halo PC shows. But people want it to work EXACTLY like the Xbox version did, and that's not going to happen unless they use lockstep networking. And lockstep introduces stuff like the inability to join-in-progress (under MS's bandwidth regulations) and input latency ala H3/ODST/Reach campaign co-op and Firefight for anybody that is not the host of the game. It's a whole big ball of "nobody wins".
And MS would have to pay to refit ALL of Halo 1's maps to modern graphics levels, instead of just a small selection

RFG was made with async multiplayer over the internet in mind. Halo CE was made with the assumption that all the Xboxes were on the same network and just passed around button presses in a frame relay. That's the short explanation.

It's theoretically possible to make Halo 1 work online, as Halo PC shows. But people want it to work EXACTLY like the Xbox version did, and that's not going to happen unless they use lockstep networking. And lockstep introduces stuff like the inability to join-in-progress (under MS's bandwidth regulations) and input latency ala H3/ODST/Reach campaign co-op and Firefight for anybody that is not the host of the game. It's a whole big ball of "nobody wins".
I don't think there is a single sane individual on the planet that thinks there won't be some lag in the mix when bringing over a game to online play, so I think it's okay to not play exactly like it would in LAN environments. Lockstep would be worse in that regard because of the input lag and jitter and everything else like you say, so if you bring them up side by side anyone would say that async is closer to being the real experience.

I'm just saying I want performance that's typical of a Halo multiplayer product at this point. People say Halo 3's netcode is intolerable, but I beg of any of those guys to try out Halo PC for one match... my god. I don't even know why it ended up turning out that bad but scuttlebutt at the time said that it was because it was made to support 56k connections.

As far as the game being coded with Xboxes in 2001 in mind and not internet play, well, it's a port. They can completely recode the backend of that for all I care. Of course just saying that as a consumer who wants a certain end product. It's certainly not impossible, but definitely wasn't within reason in the timeframe for development apparently.

Anyhow this is way too much discussion for my off comment there, I'm just a sad CE MP fan is all.

Top Bottom