• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

zap

Oh hell yes. Rat's Nest was one of my favorite maps for that. So many times I'd hear my team panicking that the other guys had two Warthogs up, and I'm like, guys, settle down. I'm on it.

<3 Rat's Nest

(I enter the picture on this one as the driver of the corkscrewing Warthog.)

Halo 3 BTB was so great.

It was the combination of awesome maps like Valhalla/Avalanche and the BR having a limited range, however I do think that some of the vehicles were a bit over powered (Warthog on Standoff, while possible to bring down without the laser, was a monster if driven by a competent team).

Ramirez

F'N TRUESKILL

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=957257572&player=TJ Ram

Hru8B.gif

GhaleonEB

It was the combination of awesome maps like Valhalla/Avalanche and the BR having a limited range, however I do think that some of the vehicles were a bit over powered (Warthog on Standoff, while possible to bring down without the laser, was a monster if driven by a competent team).

I was always on the other side of this argument; most maps are littered with anti-vehicle measures, you just had to gather and then carefully deploy them. That was basically my full time job in matchmaking for over 2 years. :lol

I agree to an extent on Standoff, though that had much to do with the utterly broken spawns on that map, inexplicably never repaired.
Sometimes my Rat's Nest anti-vehicle fun... backfired. =/

I got over 120 assists over two back to back Standoff games. I was that monster.

bwahaha

I loved the trip mine so much. Planting one and then hearing "Double Kill!" minutes and a couple lives later, from the other side of a map, was grin-inducing and guaranteed a trip to the theater after the game.

I probably died about half the time going after vehicles, often sacrificing myself. I'd step directly out in front of a charging Warthog and plant a plasma on the windshield. I'd get splattered, but take the Hog down. I was content to call that a victory.
EazyB was the best Halo 3 Warthog driver I ever played with, dude hardly ever was killed.

Not to mention what he could do with a Chopper. The man was unreal.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
For the record Ghaleon, you are better at taking out hogs than you are at driving them. ;)

I agree to an extent on Standoff, though that had much to do with the utterly broken spawns on that map, inexplicably never repaired.

The spawns were so broke that I had learned to time the spawns very accurately so that once my gunner had killed the entire team at one spawn, we'd simply drive over to the next spawn cluster and repeat the process. It took some time and luck to set up but it worked like clockwork when it got going.

I don't think the other team liked that.

Computron

I was always on the other side of this argument; most maps are littered with anti-vehicle measures, you just had to gather and then carefully deploy them. That was basically my full time job in matchmaking for over 2 years. :lol

Me too. Halo 3 was very well thought out for BTB. Medium range BR and balanced vehicles and anti vehicle weapons.

Most of my time in Halo 3 was spent driving cautiously and avoiding traps while getting assist sprees.

What has the anti-vehicle DMR and Sniper wrought upon Reach! Their warthog also feels just a little less fun to drive. Not as springy, and to easy to stop.

Computron

I still remember that game last year when we team fired on a Warthog on Hemorrhage and made it do a pair of donuts, from going full speed ahead.

If you get the slightest amount of air from a jump and even one person shoots you, you will roll.

Anyone got any ideas for making the warthog more fun and skillful to drive in future Halos?
No blue lightning sparks or other dumb shit, but things like manual gear changing, boost or something like the Ghost's Jump-button/lift? (I hope you all know about that, otherwise I am disappoint.)

All of the map packs sucked in reach except for the anniversary pack. The anni maps suffer from poor weapon layout. No idea why they didn't leave it how it was originally

I was actually mostly impressed with the new geometry additions that CA made to the Anny maps, but their weapon placements are just straight trolling. I don't think CA has made a made for Reach with decent weapon placements. Just awful.

Who's playlist manager in H4. Is 343 going to have one or a group? I'd like to be involved. Closely. How do I apply?

I'm sure it's a team. It was a team for Bungie, Jeremiah or Shishka were just the community facing part of the team.

Playing MLG by yourself?
bjbxE.jpg

You've made a huge mistake.

Computron

Learn2handbrake. Also give me your magic warthog that tips over all the time.

I wasn't asking for suggestions to get better, but rather for you guys to propose something they could add in future Halos.

I spent more time driving in Halo3 than anything else.
When the first firefight DLC came out, I spent 2 months driving up and down that map.
I Love the handbrake. Unlike in Halo 3, the Reach hog slows down a lot more from it.

Seriously though, when your in the air, each shot will roll you a bit.

The Reach Hog just feels a little off. Its less fun to drive. Especially since everyone spawns with DMRs.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Team Snipers on Hang 'em High. Why does this exist and why do people vote for this bullshit.

I take your Team Snipers and raise you BTB Anniversary Slayer on Headlong (not sure if that's the exact gametype/map). Fucking gauss hog, game went from 6-5 my team to 15-6 them in about 20 damn seconds. Best temporary matchmaking ban I ever earned. Gauss hog should not be in matchmaking, it's like a rocket launcher sniper rifle on wheels, and all you have to do is press RT to awesome. Ugh.
/rant

FyreWulff

I wasn't asking for suggestions to get better, but rather for you guys to propose something they could add in future Halos.

I spent more time driving in Halo3 than anything else.
When the first firefight DLC came out, I spent 2 months driving up and down that map.
I Love the handbrake. Unlike in Halo 3, the Reach hog slows down a lot more from it.

Seriously though, when your in the air, each shot will roll you a bit.

The Reach Hog just feels a little off. Its less fun to drive. Especially since everyone spawns with DMRs.

The hog will roll from BR shots in the air in 3. Go and try it yourself. We pushed over a hog one time on Valhalla with teamfire. Quite effective for the Avalance basecannons too, you could flip them over and they'd hit the side bars and get thrown back. I also liked punching them on that map for a nice "WTF" from the passengers. Hog is slightly heavier for that in 3 though. Which is weird because the handbrake stops it faster in Reach, even though it's slightly lighter while turning. And if you remember the H3 Beta, the hog in that was like trying to flip a tank.

Also remember to set your clocks ahead one hour Ameridudes.

I never said it didn't in Halo 3. They all roll, but you just said to "give you my magic hog that rolls" just before showing me that it also does this in Halo 3. Wtf? Make sense.

Key words chopped off at the end there. "All the time". I find them tipping over about roughly the same. Which is barely, unless they're catching big air SSX style.

As for Hog changes, it feels like it's fairly feature complete. I don't think there's anything you can really do with it that you'd just be better off making a new vehicle to do the mechanic that you want, instead of hammering it into the hog. You could give it two different brakes (left trigger and A) and use A for trick-pivots, but nobody really used the A button to stop their vehicle unless they were in a chopper (and only used it if they knew the A button would hold them perfectly in the spot they were in). I still run into regular Halo players that don't know that A lifts the Ghost and Wraiths' noses up (RB on default scheme for Reach)

Computron

The hog will roll from BR shots in the air in 3. Go and try it yourself. We pushed over a hog one time on Valhalla with teamfire. Quite effective for the Avalance basecannons too, you could flip them over and they'd hit the side bars and get thrown back. I also liked punching them on that map for a nice "WTF" from the passengers.

Also remember to set your clocks ahead one hour Ameridudes.

I never said it didn't in Halo 3. They all roll, but you just said to "give you my magic hog that rolls" just before showing me that it also does this in Halo 3. Wtf? Make sense.

Computron

Key words chopped off at the end there. "All the time". I find them tipping over about roughly the same. Which is barely, unless they're catching big air SSX style.
I don't want to get all semantic. So I take it you like the Reach Warthog as much as the Halo 3 Hog? You don't think it's slower with the handbrake or has worse handling?

Just from watching other people drive, they do seem to last a lot less time from all the DMR fire and whatnot, but those are separate sandbox elements.

Firewulff said:
As for Hog changes, it feels like it's fairly feature complete. I don't think there's anything you can really do with it that you'd just be better off making a new vehicle to do the mechanic that you want, instead of hammering it into the hog.

There are a lot of subtleties to the way a lot of halo vehicles work right now that go over people's heads. In Halo 3, you could glide and steer the Ghost off a jump with the jump button and roll with the strafe. You could use this and the mancannon on Valhalla to cover a lot of the map in flight. Maybe you could do a subtle feature like tense up the suspension with the jump button like the Ghost's Lift function. It could help going over certain types of terrain or if time correctly it could get you more air off a jump. Or they could add a two second boost at the expense of all Your handling like in Unreal tournament.

Edit:

GAH! Stop editing your posts! this is confusing and tedious. Lol

You added:

Firewulff said:
Hog is slightly heavier for that in 3 though. Which is weird because the handbrake stops it faster in Reach, even though it's slightly lighter while turning.

Now your saying the same thing I was all along!

That's what I'm talking about! Its counter intuitive in Reach. The hog in 3 was heavier and harder to roll yet faster and had more momentum. Reach's hog "stop on a fart". Lol
And it rolls from like 3 DMR shots in mid air.

Firewulff said:
I don't think there's anything you can really do with it that you'd just be better off making a new vehicle to do the mechanic that you want, instead of hammering it into the hog. You could give it two different brakes (left trigger and A) and use A for trick-pivots, but nobody really used the A button to stop their vehicle unless they were in a chopper (and only used it if they knew the A button would hold them perfectly in the spot they were in). I still run into regular Halo players that don't know that A lifts the Ghost and Wraiths' noses up (RB on default scheme for Reach
)

so you simultaneously don't think anything can be added and then add that the brakes could be expanded to match the other vehichles? Your confusing.

I think at this point, we are having a "Heated Agreement.". :)

Either way, I think there is a lot they could do with the vehicles without making it feel 'not halo'. They have been making pretty substantial tweaks as the series has progressed. The banshee and the ghost are great examples. Just look how far they've come since halo ce. And they have been expanding the sandbox with things like the elephant, the mongoose, the chopper, the gauss hog, the falcon and th hornet. Very little in Halo is sacred and can't be improved. Like Frankie said on the sparkcast, you can't hold things as preconceived absolutes.

The Halo 4 Hog now has an axle between the front and back wheels rather than all four having their own. maybe they got a lot of other things planned for it.

Makes me wonder what the vehicle that's going to "dwarf" the mech on warhouse is. The new Elephant?

I hope it's a giraffe.

blamite

I discovered something in the Making of Halo 4 video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UL63Zo-uo

If you look at 2:51, it shows a Spartan 4 and he has a pistol on his right hip.
But then look at 2:56, it shows a Spartan 4 at a different angle and it has a pistol on his left hip...

Maybe you can make it use your left hand as primary?

He's also aiming his BR on the left side. The simplest answer I think is that the clip is just being mirrored. I guess it's possible there's more to it then that but I wouldn't count on it.

blamite

But why would they do that?
For the composition of the shot, I'd guess. Frankie's on the right looking left, and the Spartan is in the left, so they made him facing to the right to raw the eye to the center of the screen. I don't know, it could be anything, I think I'm just trying to read too much into little detains at the moment to avoid disappointment. And maybe I'm reading too much into that shot to avoid reading too much into the Spartan, but my self-contradiction awareness only goes one level down. >.>

Frankie himself said they were aware that we'd tear the video apart, frame by frame.
Seems weird that they would distort clips given that fact..

I dunno either way i dont care on the issue, some a few pages back suggested that the left handed Spartans are the one we would see during campaign the most likely scenario however is that its simply a mirrored video

zap

I did notice that the Spartan 4 shooting and running looked kinda off... never picked up on the reason until you guys pointed it out.

Maybe the fiction reason is left handed Spartans v right handed Spartans :eek:

I read somewhere that stated it was confirmed that the multiplayer story wasn't as simple as a training exercise, as that would be too generic. Anyone know of the source behind that?

Edit: Just read that back to myself... the grammar, it burns...

zap

I read somewhere that stated it was confirmed that the multiplayer story wasn't as simple as a training exercise, as that would be too generic. Anyone know of the source behind that?

Edit: Just read that back to myself... the grammar, it burns...

I didn't see that, but I really hope it is something other than training exercises. That would be such a cop-out after that reveal.

Slight Glasslands spoiler
I think Glasslands 2 will have some big hints about it. Halsey and Parangosky face off with Spartans?

Top Bottom