• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Free Radical still trying to bash Halo after all these years? These are the guys that said "Halo is for babies" and then created the avant-garde mature shooter Haze?

Look at this shit.

That's embarrassing.
Cool article at EDGE about Halo: CE, where they talk to another developer about what they didn't like about the game. I agree with some of the complaints, like how repetitive some of the campaign levels were, but this one about the multiplayer really made me scratch my head:

Thanks for this. I'll read about Halo: CE and Half-Life 2.

kylej

Banned
There's just so many design decisions in Reach I will never understand and lack of bleedthroughs is near the top of the list in terms of shit that makes no fucking sense. You shoot the shit out of someone and melee only pops their shields? Meanwhile they can just melee you then melee you again or pop you in the dome? Really? Who the bloody fuck thought that was fair?

Well fortunately we got the guy who made SOCOM games on PSP holding the reigns so I anticipate flawless design decisions in H4.

Well fortunately we got the guy who made SOCOM games on PSP holding the reigns so I anticipate flawless design decisions in H4.

Makes perfect sense to put him to work on a halo game on the 360.

Thanks to Dax I noticed a pretty big difference in the writing style for the Halo and Half Life articles. I have never understood the blind love that game gets. The episodes were more interesting as games, but Half Life 2 for me was little more than a good physics demo with 'bad' gameplay. The AI, gunplay and set peices were quite dull.

I thought Doak's criticism was pretty good.

He brought up a lot of very good points, it has to be said but he also glossed over a lot of the positives and context. Im sure we have all struggled with multiple weapons lying around after a gun fight but thats a relatively minor issue, he neglected discussing the benefits of the 2 weapon design.

Read the CE article. His criticisms about the repetitive level design are completely fair. Half of CE is an average-mediocre corridor shooter, and half of that is repeating itself but with monster closets (T&R -> Keyes, PoA -> The Maw). Some of his other criticisms I don't get, like the inventory one. What the hell was he saying?

The Half-Life 2 article was more interesting. I greatly enjoyed Highway 17 and Ravenholm.

The only thing crazier than that would be to hire a guy who worked on such a catastrophic bomb that it bankrupted its studio and let him make the gameplay decisions.

Wait
Passive aggressive kylej is "best" kylej? Ah, that's not even passive really.
I don't really want to fight about it but :

If 'we' just hired people who worked on successful projects, most of this industry (and probably a good few others) would be out of work over night.

Passive aggressive kylej is "best" kylej? Ah, that's not even passive really.
I don't really want to fight about it but :

If 'we' just hired people who worked on successful projects, most of this industry (and probably a good few others) would be out of work over night.

For me the question mark isnt over project success but thought process, Socom is a pretty different game to Halo. Will he overcome that mindset to make a good Halo game. Rather than simply a good game.

Your right though, there's not many people in the pool to choose from. With Bungie I will forever question how Sage ended up in such a high position when the Halo veterans were around, with Halo 4 though I guess 343 dont have much choice. Thats still just a practicality rather than a comforting thought though.

Cool article at EDGE about Halo: CE, where they talk to another developer about what they didn't like about the game. I agree with some of the complaints, like how repetitive some of the campaign levels were, but this one about the multiplayer really made me scratch my head:

uh, what? I'm hardly a professional-level player by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't recall one instance where I had trouble with managing my relatively simple weapon cache. It's one of the things I loved about Halo that set it apart from the other magic-backpack-of-weapons shooters. I'm actually spoiled by it now and find other shooters and their weapon wheels to be cumbersome and awkward.
Just finished reading the article. I kept thinking that David Doak had to be joking, but I guess he was serious. I loved the waves of enemies throughout Halo:CE. The AI made for a lot of fun encounters with a little variety for replay value. The floaty vehicles made for fun jumps and suicidal cliff drops. And grunts have mad popularity. Kind of sad that he doesn't have a sense of humor. I wonder what he'd say about Yoda and R2D2 from Star Wars?

kylej

Banned
For me the question mark isnt over project success but thought process, Socom is a pretty different game to Halo. Will he overcome that mindset to make a good Halo game. Rather than simply a good game.

Your right though, there's not many people in the pool to choose from. With Bungie I will forever question how Sage ended up in such a high position when the Halo veterans were around, with Halo 4 though I guess 343 dont have much choice. Thats still not a comforting thought.

Not really Sage's fault tbh. Remember urk said they brought in ElamiteWarrior and Hysteria to test the game, and look at the game we got. I blame most of Reach's faults on them.

But if 'we' just hire people that made a relatively unpopular game and then have those people shoehorn major features from that unpopular game into very popular franchises most of this industry would be out of work over night.

Typically kylej is too negative and trollish, but in this regard he is right. Hiring a designer from Shadowrun and then implementing features from Shadowrun into a Halo game (poorly) was a bad move.

Gazzawa

Who were the leads on Halo 2? Those people should have worked on Reach instead of who did.

All this wishing and hoping won't bring your game back....just be thankful its still popular. Could be worse. They could have gotten the team behind Brink. They can't even give that game away now!

Implementing anything poorly is a bad move.
Hey, I don't like Reach either.

This is what drives me crazy about the decision making process in Reach. Lots of ideas that were questionable to begin with that were almost always implemented poorly.

AAs are an understandable idea (based on the progression of the franchise) but for them to fit into the frachise's gameplay they should've been pickups in traditional Halo game types.

Invasion is a good idea (that had been around in some form since Halo 2) and it even works with AAs as loadouts but they effectively killed the BTB map selection at launch by devoting so many resources to it. Also there's the horribly unbalanced UNSC weapon selection vs. Covenant weapon selection issue.

The player rewards system makes sense too except for the fact that the rewards are based almost entirely on time spent on the game and not on actual performance/improvement.

Halo 4 please hurry.

This is what drives me crazy about the decision making process in Reach. Lots of ideas that were questionable to begin with that were almost always implemented poorly.
To me it has always been more a management/early production issue.
Simple but fundamental decisions like the 3x Zoom on the DMR baffle me.

Simple but fundamental decisions like the 3x Zoom on the DMR baffle me.

I have wondered for a while if that decision was made before or after they knew they were going to have really slow base player traits and slow shield recharge time.

3x zoom on a single shot weapon that has bloom almost makes sense if players are moving around and juking at Halo 2 speeds or simply hiding behind cover for a few seconds for a quick shield recharge.

If they gave it a 3x scope knowing Reach spartans were going to be tortoise style then I am sad.

But calling Halo a game for babies? Come on.

Well, based on this thread...
...we do cry a lot.

Yeah if they picked someone who had actually created a successful shooter I might listen to their opinions more. :p
Ehm? Time Splitters? Never heard it?

Free Radical still trying to bash Halo after all these years? These are the guys that said "Halo is for babies" and then created the avant-garde mature shooter Haze?

Look at this shit.
Yeah. I don't get it. These guys were well known that they bashed Halo. But calling Halo a game for babies? Come on.

Your right though, there's not many people in the pool to choose from. With Bungie I will forever question how Sage ended up in such a high position when the Halo veterans were around, with Halo 4 though I guess 343 dont have much choice. Thats still just a practicality rather than a comforting thought though.
I would guess that it was because Bungie wanted to bring big changes to the Halo sandbox and they liked what Sage brought to the table. I know you and many others lament this decision pretty thoroughly (I go back and forth between dislike and utter hatred), but at the very least we got the Grenade Launcher out of him. ;-)

Just finished reading the article. I kept thinking that David Doak had to be joking, but I guess he was serious. I loved the waves of enemies throughout Halo:CE. The AI made for a lot of fun encounters with a little variety for replay value. The floaty vehicles made for fun jumps and suicidal cliff drops. And grunts have mad popularity. Kind of sad that he doesn't have a sense of humor. I wonder what he'd say about Yoda and R2D2 from Star Wars?
Constant replays of the first game, along with the additions made to subsequent Halos really make CE difficult for me to enjoy all the way through to the end now. I'd probably match most of his criticisms for the campaign, especially with the cutesy comedy of the Grunts. Facing something as sobering as humanity's extinction at the hands of an alien conglomerate doesn't have quite the impact when you hear Grunts yelling about food nipples and performing mild acts of slapstick. I loved having The Covenant speak their native tongues in Reach; it really added to the menace that I always thought they lacked in previous Halos. I really, really hope that's repeated with H4's campaign, with an option to turn on a skull to hear the funny stuff if you want.

That's not to say that I don't like the cutesy Grunts, I actually do. I can just understand and relate to where the criticism comes from.

TheOddOne

I get that impression too. I remember one video where they introduced Sage and he talked about the project not progression enough, so he was brought in. The guy next to him made a snarky remark claiming Sage was taking credit for stuff, it was really weird and felt there was some tension there. Reach must have been a rocky project, with tons of stuff getting cut early and no clear focus.

wwm0nkey

Kind of wish FASA was still around so we could have gotten a ShadowRun 2 a game where Sage's ideas worked and then Halo: Reach might have been different (well not map wise though)

Map problems have been an issue for longer than Reach's tenure.

No one was talking about map issues but you make a fair point.

Halo 3 had some bad maps for sure(Epitaph, Isolation, Orbital, and Foundry) but the maps overall are still way better than Reach.

Not this again lol! Striker what have you done! Can you not just accept that Reach's maps being bad is a bad thing. No need to keep bringing up that other games have also had bad maps, not sure what that proves.

I get that impression too. I remember one video where they introduced Sage and he talked about the project not progression enough, so he was brought in. The guy next to him made a snarky remark claiming Sage was taking credit for stuff, it was really weird and felt there was some tension there. Reach must have been a rocky project, with tons of stuff getting cut early and no clear focus.

I never got that sense of tension. Which vidoc was it, it would be interesting to check out. I was surprised by how many of the people in the vidoc seemed to love the changes Reach brought about. There was a sense that he went too far in terms of nerfing stuff, but from the vidocs I would never have imagined just how different Reach would be. I remember personally questioning Sage's high position but didnt pick up on too much tension within Bungie. Looking back that could make sense, but to be honest with you thats looking back with a skewed opinion.

I don't remember seeing any such implied tension, are you sure you're not projecting expectations? You're making a few bold claims there.

TheOddOne

I never got that sense of tension. Which vidoc was it, it would be interesting to check out. I was surprised by how many of the people in the vidoc seemed to love the changes Reach brought about. There was a sense that he went too far in terms of nerfing stuff, but from the vidocs I would never have imagined just how different Reach would be. I remember personally questioning Sage's high position but didnt pick up on too much tension within Bungie. Looking back that could make sense, but to be honest with you thats looking back with a skewed opinion.
I don't remember seeing any such implied tension, are you sure you're not projecting expectations? You're making a few bold claims there.
I guess it's me then :p

I would say there's more bad than good, and lot of mediocrity in between. Very, very few stand out.

You talked about this a lot the other day, for the sake of cutting short a repeated conversation what's your point? Objectively Halo 3 and Reach have both had bad maps, is there something interesting to read from that? I think its fair to assume everyone wants Halo 4's maps to be good.

When people go and play Reach, and then complain about the map quality, you mention that bad maps isn't new. Hell, when no one is even talking about maps you still bring it up. I just don't understand what your getting at. Do you want bad maps on Halo 4 just to continue the trend? :p

Personally I think Reach's maps are the worst that have ever come with a Halo game, I disagree that Halo 3's maps are as bad, but for the sake of discussion, even if they are, does that somehow redeem Reach? Either way I would hope Halo 4 improves a lot in that department.

I would say there's more bad than good, and lot of mediocrity in between. Very, very few stand out.

Valhalla, Avalanche, Guardian, The Pit, Heretic, Citadel, Last Resort, Blackout, High Ground, Narrows, and Standoff are all good maps. The rest outside the four I mentioned in my last post are decent. I don't see how there's more bad than good. Although going by your post history Halo 3 has absolutely zero redeeming qualities.

Gazzawa

Just to pitch in about the maps.....In Cod BlackOps they quickly realised they only had one great map, Nuketown. So occasionally they did a playlist called Nuketown 24/7. Same map and a few different variants. It'd be cool if something like this was done in a Halo game.

Ken

Just to pitch in about the maps.....In Cod BlackOps they quickly realised they only had one great map, Nuketown. So occasionally they did a playlist called Nuketown 24/7. Same map and a few different variants. It'd be cool if something like this was done in a Halo game.
Except Nuketown was stupid and Nuketown 24/7 showed how much stupidity BLOPs players can take.

You shut your whore mouth! :p Black Ops had some brilliant maps, Jungle and Firing Range are both easily on par with, or better than Nuketown. I think Nuketown was popular because of the type of crazy play such a small map allowed, but if was far from being the best map in the game. Never mind the only good map.

EDIT: It would be nice to have playlist specific double exp weekends though. I wouldn't even care about the double exp. If they had a map like the Pit on constant rotation I would play the hell out of it for those two days lol.

Striker

Personally I think Reach's maps are the worst that have ever come with a Halo game, I disagree that Halo 3's maps are as bad, but for the sake of discussion, even if they are, does that somehow redeem Reach? Either way I would hope Halo 4 improves a lot in that department.
It was right before my post, friend. An indirect response, I suppose.

Perhaps many people were just spoiled by the goodness from before. I'm with you, I hope Halo 4 has fantastic stuff. Wait and see approach. In the meantime, let's stop treating like these bad maps are new. They have been shit for years.

Valhalla, Avalanche, Guardian, The Pit, Heretic, Citadel, Last Resort, Blackout, High Ground, Narrows, and Standoff are all good maps.
Half those maps are awful.

TheOddOne

Nuketown is such a bad map, it is just as bad as Rust.

Mayyhem

Finally a Brigadier in Halo: Reach (I know it's not that high...), feels good man. Took a big break off Halo because I've been busy but now that I'm back at it I'm enjoying it so much more. TU Reach is great

TheOddOne

7jy3mOnEUr23qa928V42izJJo1_500.jpg

My above post has been updated :p

Top Bottom