• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Hm, hope it hits tonight. Man it really seems not only is the Halo Waypoint site very slow for users, but also glitchy for posting articles by staff. Ah well, I can wait.

So many jokes about wraparound are going to have to go unmade. Why that name??? WHHHHYYY???!!!

Scrimshaw is a way better name, Wraparound is so awkward for a name.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't like to be picky, but there's only a couple hours left of Wednesday where I'm at bsangel! Deliver!!!

I think they should move the Bulletins to Thursdays, I don't like the constant uncertainty of the Wednesday appearances.

I'd a stickler for schedules and the Bulletin gives me an itch.

I think they should move the Bulletins to Thursdays, I don't like the constant uncertainty of the Wednesday appearances.

I'd a stickler for schedules and the Bulletin gives me an itch.

Honestly, I can't blame her. Weekly updates are quite taxing, especially factoring in all of the other tasks she has to do.

Reminds me of the days of playing Operation: Desert Storm on the GameCube a few years ago with Krow and some friends. Trying to destroy tanks in that game was so intense. We'd spend ages behind a hill, poking out every so often to scan for enemies. You could never rush in and missions took forever as a result, but my god it was fun.
I had this experience too, 10 years ago. 4-way split on an SDTV...what the hell were we thinking?

What are her other jobs? Honest question!

I can't speak for her, but I'm sure she has more to do than weekly updates. At the very least, she's managing the forums, writing daily articles, answering all of her personal emails/PMs and probably handling the social media platforms. It's a hefty task for me, and the DunDef community isn't a fraction of the Halo community.

And it sounds like the website is a bitch to handle. That has to be frustrating.

I'm sure she has more to do than that, but I'm not knowledgeable of the other backend processes at Halo Waypoint.

My biggest issue with the whole "we want to play more like a team" philosophy behind Reach is if you give me fucking idiots all of the time, playing like a team becomes a moot fucking point. Please do me and players like me a favor with 4 and let individuality shine through too, so if and when necessary we can still pull a win out of our ass when our team mates are terrible and the other team is mediocre.

FyreWulff

When I was playing last night, I realized how bad some of the maps read in SD (360 temporarily living in main room again). Battle Canyon went from looking omg awesome to "I can't distinguish players from the background unless they're 5 feet in front of me"

When I was playing last night, I realized how bad some of the maps read in SD (360 temporarily living in main room again). Battle Canyon went from looking omg awesome to "I can't distinguish players from the background unless they're 5 feet in front of me"

I play on an SD, welcome to my world. Also get this team snipers shit out of Anni what the fuck.

Oh temp banned because I didn't want to play Team Snipers on High Noon. Woe is me.

GhaleonEB

Now you know what it's like to be r/g colorblind and on the blue team on Hemorrhage.

I play on an SD, welcome to my world. Also get this team snipers shit out of Anni what the fuck.

My condolences.

FyreWulff

Now you know what it's like to be r/g colorblind and on the blue team on Hemorrhage.

I wish more FPSes were colorblind friendly. Shit, Perfect Dark Zero was rushed for 360 launch and it still had colorblind options. The original PD had even more assists. Unfortunately they've already confirmed no colorblind modes for 4.

But yeah, I feel it now. Battle Canyon is just so busy that I had to make sure it wasn't my teammate I was shooting and sometimes I still ended up accidentally shooting Devo in the back because in the shadowy parts of the map, blue and red started getting pretty hard to distinguish at a distance.

The plus side to playing in there is I'm wired internet instead of wireless. I don't have to fear suddenly leaving a game against my will.

Fuchsdh

I wish more FPSes were colorblind friendly. Shit, Perfect Dark Zero was rushed for 360 launch and it still had colorblind options. The original PD had even more assists. Unfortunately they've already confirmed no colorblind modes for 4.

But yeah, I feel it now. Battle Canyon is just so busy that I had to make sure it wasn't my teammate I was shooting and sometimes I still ended up accidentally shooting Devo in the back because in the shadowy parts of the map, blue and red started getting pretty hard to distinguish at a distance.

The plus side to playing in there is I'm wired internet instead of wireless. I don't have to fear suddenly leaving a game against my will.

Can you explain what a color-blind accessible Halo would do/look like? I think it's just best practices for game companies to try and accommodate the broadest swath of interested players, but I have no idea what that entails.

(My only brush with accessibility is when I accidentally invert my comp's OS. Whoops.)

FyreWulff

Can you explain what a color-blind accessible Halo would do/look like? I think it's just best practices for game companies to try and accommodate the broadest swath of interested players, but I have no idea what that entails.

(My only brush with accessibility is when I accidentally invert my comp's OS. Whoops.)

You'd be able to force the game to display friendly/enemies as certain colors. PDZ defaulted to Red enemies and Green friendlies, but let you change it to other combinations like Red for enemies and Blue friendlies.

Battlefield also has one

OG Perfect Dark / PDXBLA let you apply highlights to allies and weapon pickups.

I played Reach SD on a 27" on wifi last weekend and pulled host every single game.

I couldn't believe it.

Didn't notice Battle Canyon being too busy though.

Nope and I would be sacrificing size. It's not that big of a deal on most maps but on ones where either team is the color of the map, they do kind of fade into the environment.

It's worth sacrificing size to play in HD.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, that would be great. It was something I lamented when Halo 3 came out, and for some reason with Reach it's even worse; the color selection and chunkier bodies just seems to blend in more. I died a couple times tonight on Hemorrhage because I'd look somewhere, not see anyone, and then start taking fire a moment later.

Havok

Not when I've got enough problems seeing distance objects.
That becomes less of a problem as you increase resolution. Sacrificing size for fidelity isn't the worst thing in the world, assuming your viewing distance would decrease as well. The resolution isn't the only benefit, you're also missing out on a lot of color depth with SD connections.

I went from a 32 inch CRT to a shitty 19 inch LCD monitor several years ago and I never regretted it.

Tawpgun

My biggest issue with the whole "we want to play more like a team" philosophy behind Reach is if you give me fucking idiots all of the time, playing like a team becomes a moot fucking point. Please do me and players like me a favor with 4 and let individuality shine through too, so if and when necessary we can still pull a win out of our ass when our team mates are terrible and the other team is mediocre.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

I nitpick the design decisions of Reach a lot, but all of them add up to this right here. Armor Abilities, Bloom, Slower kill times, sluggish strafe, less agility, slower speed.... All of this makes the individual in Reach feel useless.
maybe it was multiplayers way of representing the dire situation of Reach in campaign.... or maybe they just goofed hard

In Halo 2 and 3(less than 2, but still decent) the individual could make a huge difference and carry their team if needed be. BUT TEAMWORK WAS STILL REWARDED TENFOLD. A group of Walshies acting on their own would still get decimated by an organized, communicated team of people considered to be decent. Like Brigadier/low 50 tier.

CyReN

I think the horrible matchmaking and lack of ranks make that "problem" bigger.

We got trueskill and team arena, we don't need ranks.

QbBl4.png

zap

Not when I've got enough problems seeing distance objects.

That becomes less of a problem as you increase resolution. Sacrificing size for fidelity isn't the worst thing in the world, assuming your viewing distance would decrease as well. The resolution isn't the only benefit, you're also missing out on a lot of color depth with SD connections.

I went from a 32 inch CRT to a shitty 19 inch LCD monitor several years ago and I never regretted it.

Definitely this.

I went from playing on a 29" CRT to a 19" LCD monitor. It's insane how much better it is. You'll also sit closer (I'd assume) so the size thing isn't an issue. Colours look better, you can see a LOT more than you can on a CRT (especially things at a distance) and everything looks sexy.

Get a VGA cable and try it. I swear you won't regret it.

orznge

Banned
I think the horrible matchmaking and lack of ranks make that "problem" bigger.

If you're not aware, and you might not be, each game in the series has had it's skill ceiling lowered to less than that of the previous game. I know you might like this, but maybe check through some of your "tages" and think to yourself: when the logical progression of the Halo design occurs with the next game (skill ceiling lower than that of Reach), which kills hypothetically wouldn't make the cut if design changes that you envision to be facilitating "increased teamwork" are made once again. What's the point at which you would consider not playing the game? Exactly how low could the skill ceiling go before you would consider the game unsatisfactory?

I've done some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that if Quake 3 had it's player movement options reduced, and player hitboxes made larger, and player FOV locked to 60 among a variety of other changes, the amount of teamwork required in TDM would definitely be at a peak for the series.

If you're not aware, and you might not be, each game in the series has had it's skill ceiling lowered to less than that of the previous game. I know you might like this, but maybe check through some of your "tages" and think to yourself: when the logical progression of the Halo design occurs with the next game (skill ceiling lower than that of Reach), which kills hypothetically wouldn't make the cut if design changes that you envision to be facilitating "increased teamwork" are made once again. What's the point at which you would consider not playing the game? Exactly how low could the skill ceiling go before you would consider the game unsatisfactory?

I've done some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that if Quake 3 had it's player movement options reduced, and player hitboxes made larger, and player FOV locked to 60 among a variety of other changes, the amount of teamwork required in TDM would definitely be at a peak for the series.

"Teamwork" is relative to the intelligence of those you get in matchmaking.

Top Bottom