• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

FyreWulff

I still cannot fathom why it was removed. Unbelievable.

Because it belongs in games designed around it, and not in games that have no feedback systems or designs based around it. At this point, they might as well make the TU global with the bleedthrough scurge gone. Also, do you actually think MS would ever fund a 1.2 to fix the healthpack bug with 4 around the corner? lulz

Keep it in 1,2,3,and 4. Reach wasn't designed around BT in the slightest, and weird decisions like having the magnum not pop your shields while the DMR would compounded the player confusion. It's fine in Anniversary Classic since it enhances the Halo 1 simulation that the playlist is going for.

zap

I adapted quickly to bleedthrough, but funnily enough I haven't fully adapted back yet.

I don't notice a huge difference, other than now I don't die unexpectedly so much, whereas I used to get killed not realising I was one-shot.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Give me bleedthrough over feedback. I'm a huge fan of Reach's feedback system -- the lack of such clear signals is one of my biggest retrospective complaints about Halo 3 now. But the improvement in play and speed that came with bleedthrough were huge. Like Ram and others have echoed, it made Reach tremendously more enjoyable. And, now that I know what I'm missing, the removal of bleedthrough makes Reach feels worse than ever before. 85% bloom isn't enough of a change.

Since you can put all sorts of maps in different gametypes (they just wont come up if people don't have them) why is team snipes in Anni?

stephen08

Agreed on all points. Well, except I'm not sure what you mean by themed packs. I see these ideas as vital to Halo taking back it's #1 FPS throne.

While I would love that, it's probably never going to happen again. CoD is just too colossal and until something bursts that bubble it will remain that way. I find it very unlikely that Halo 4 would be the game to do it.

Nutter

Bleed through actually made the game semi-fun. But oh noes.. lets remove it because the .maps of the world will complain about feedback.

stephen08

Bleed through actually made the game semi-fun. But oh noes.. lets remove it because the .maps of the world will complain about feedback.

Whether you like bleedthrough or not is one thing but what is not debatable is that it did not work as intended. Health packs didn't work properly, the pistol damage got shuffled around and we lost the feedback of gunplay.

That's a lot to sacrifice just so that melees bleedthrough (I am assuming that's the purpose of including it in the first place unless people actually prefer bullet bleedthrough for some reason).

There's just so many design decisions in Reach I will never understand and lack of bleedthroughs is near the top of the list in terms of shit that makes no fucking sense. You shoot the shit out of someone and melee only pops their shields? Meanwhile they can just melee you then melee you again or pop you in the dome? Really? Who the bloody fuck thought that was fair?

TheOddOne

There's just so many design decisions in Reach I will never understand and lack of bleedthroughs is near the top of the list in terms of shit that makes no fucking sense. You shoot the shit out of someone and melee only pops their shields? Meanwhile they can just melee you then melee you again or pop you in the dome? Really? Who the bloody fuck thought that was fair?
That and the sword acts like this (for everybody besides you):

1505229-mw2flyknifekill.gif

It would only be 'unfair' if it happened for some players and not others. It's a level playing field, and if you fuck up by meleeing someone when you've shot the shit out of them, knowing full well how the system works, you've brought any consequences on yourself.

I hope there is no bleedthrough in 4.

Morning HaloGAF

*reads last 2 pages*

Gee, you guys seem pretty worked up... Ill be on Mass Effect.

Tashi i see you got SF X T what do you think?

It would only be 'unfair' if it happened for some players and not others. It's a level playing field, and if you fuck up by meleeing someone when you've shot the shit out of them, knowing full well how the system works, you've brought any consequences on yourself.

I hope there is no bleedthrough in 4.
True. But the same can be said to the people who prefer feedback over bleedthrough. If you're in a game with bleedthrough, don't depend on the old feedback system. The people who complain about the lack of feedback are well aware of how it works with bleedthrough. For me it comes down to feedback vs. better game-play. I like the latter. I've always thought of feedback as a convenience rather than a requirement, anyway. I mean, just like everyone else, of course, I like good feedback. But the improvements that bleedthrough brought to Reach completely dwarfed the convenience of the feedback system. But that's my own opinion on it.

SD master race reporting in...

Seriously though, whenever I play on a friends HD tv I can't get over the input lag. I know there are models which are better than others but literally every HD tv I've played on, I notice it.

Somebody recommend me a monitor or tv that's cheap with 0 ms input lag.

SD master race reporting in...

Seriously though, whenever I play on a friends HD tv I can't get over the input lag. I know there are models which are better than others but literally every HD tv I've played on, I notice it.

Somebody recommend me a monitor or tv that's cheap with 0 ms input lag.
I'm currently using an ASUS VH236H for my PC. It's the "official" monitor of the Evo fighting game tournaments, so if it's good enough for fighting game nuts then it's probably pretty good on input lag.

Blinding

I'm currently using an ASUS VH236H for my PC. It's the "official" monitor of the Evo fighting game tournaments, so if it's good enough for fighting game nuts then it's probably pretty good on input lag.

It's also the official MLG monitor (if I'm remembering correctly,) and I use it for both watching TV and playing on my 360. It's an absolute beast and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Blueblur1

I really hope it comes back for 4. I know some people like the player feedback loop, but to me it feels awful without bleedthrough.

Agreed. TU gametypes aren't as fun as they used be with bleedthrough gone. That's one of the changes that made Reach feel a little bit more like it's predecessors.

Why assclowns insist on voting for snipes on Headlong, why it even exists, alludes me. It was shit before, it's shit now.

I would have thought of Headlong as 'the map' to play snipes on. What's wrong with it? There is plenty of cover, plenty of windows to shoot out of and the sight lines are pretty good in my opinion. Blood Gulch is just terrible for snipes. Every other map falls in between those for me.

It's also the official MLG monitor (if I'm remembering correctly,) and I use it for both watching TV and playing on my 360. It's an absolute beast and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

See that's the sort of thing I'd part cash for if there's no lag. Had a quick look, couldn't seem to find that exact model from a UK seller but I'll search more thoroughly when I get back from work. Thanks for the link.

I would have thought of Headlong as 'the map' to play snipes on. What's wrong with it? There is plenty of cover, plenty of windows to shoot out of and the sight lines are pretty good in my opinion. Blood Gulch is just terrible for snipes. Every other map falls in between those for me.

I find snipes on Headlong extremely tedious, the map is way too large and complex for 4v4 snipes but may be better for BTB. Can go quite a while without much action, its not the maps fault but in my experience a lot of people do just start to camp which slows the game down more.

Blood Gulch was an amazing map for snipers, but Hemmorage is awful, I personally think the scale of the map is too blame for that.

A lot of people just don't want to play Snipers in a non-snipers playlist.

Something I wish for Halo 4, cut down on the gametype variations in the core playlists. Team Slayer should just have 1 gametype, I want a consistent experience always. None of this AR start/DMR start/Elite Slayer/Slayer Pro/Snipers in a single playlist crap. Just get the main gametype right and we won't have to vote at all.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want bleedthrough, the pros outweigh the cons by a ton. If I put 2 or 3 shots from a 5-shot kill weapon into a person and melee them, it should kill them. People complained about AR rushing, sprinting double melees are infinitely worse.

Also, new topic: What is your opinion on Reach's health system? When the game first launched, I was all for non-recharging health, but now I absolutely hate it. Getting killed by someone you know you are considerably better than just because you don't have full health and are at a disadvantage makes no sense to me. Combine that with Reach's grenades that will also kill a fully shielded person that doesn't have max health, and it creates a horrible system IMO.

IIRC, wasn't the Halo 2/3 health system basically confirmed for Halo 4? I know there's a single bar at least.

See that's the sort of thing I'd part cash for if there's no lag. Had a quick look, couldn't seem to find that exact model from a UK seller but I'll search more thoroughly when I get back from work. Thanks for the link.

http://www.useusa.co.uk/product.php?id_product=75003

Its about £150 on UseUSA, thanks to google shopping. Thinking of grabbing it myself

I cant seem to find the exact specs but 2ms is what i see floating around which sounds great

So I called Microsoft and they spent 47 minutes telling me to do some little checks I already did a million times before, they'll call me tomorrow as they didn't really helped me.

This is some bullshit, I never had an issue and then -BAM! I'm getting DNS error since two weeks ago.

Cool article at EDGE about Halo: CE, where they talk to another developer about what they didn't like about the game. I agree with some of the complaints, like how repetitive some of the campaign levels were, but this one about the multiplayer really made me scratch my head:

EDGE said:
[David Doak] struggles with the inventory system, too, which is to suggest that the system struggles to properly accommodate its players. “I bet you the fanboys can do it with their eyes shut, but I’ve found that any attempt to manage your inventory in a firefight ends badly. You’d be hacking away at something and some guy drops a cool gun, but you know that if you go over there you’ll spend ten seconds, which feels like an hour, jigging around.”

uh, what? I'm hardly a professional-level player by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't recall one instance where I had trouble with managing my relatively simple weapon cache. It's one of the things I loved about Halo that set it apart from the other magic-backpack-of-weapons shooters. I'm actually spoiled by it now and find other shooters and their weapon wheels to be cumbersome and awkward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so should we just assume that the (HBO hosted) Waypoint Update is going to be on Thursdays now?

Gazzawa

Cool article at EDGE about Halo: CE, where they talk to another developer about what they didn't like about the game. I agree with some of the complaints, like how repetitive some of the campaign levels were, but this one about the multiplayer really made me scratch my head:

uh, what? I'm hardly a professional-level player by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't recall one instance where I had trouble with managing my relatively simple weapon cache. It's one of the things I loved about Halo that set it apart from the other magic-backpack-of-weapons shooters. I'm actually spoiled by it now and find other shooters and their weapon wheels to be cumbersome and awkward.

I think he might be talking about weapon pick-ups. If there is a whole mess of guns in close proximity it can be tricky to get the one you want. It happens most FPS. Its an annoyance online. word weapon wheels can be shitty.

TheOddOne

Free Radical still trying to bash Halo after all these years? These are the guys that said "Halo is for babies" and then created the avant-garde mature shooter Haze?

Look at this shit.

Falagard

I think he might be talking about weapon pick-ups. If there is a whole mess of guns in close proximity it can be tricky to get the one you want. It happens most FPS. Its an annoyance online. word weapon wheels can be shitty.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Never a big problem for me, but that's how I interpreted it.

So I called Microsoft and they spent 47 minutes telling me to do some little checks I already did a million times before, they'll call me tomorrow as they didn't really helped me.

This is some bullshit, I never had an issue and then -BAM! I'm getting DNS error since two weeks ago.

Its probably best to contact you ISP aswell as Microsoft. There are network settings you can change on your xbox though, maybe theres an option to revert to default? Probably not what your looking for, but may be worth a try?

Free Radical still trying to bash Halo after all these years? These are the guys that said "Halo is for babies" and then created the avant-garde mature shooter Haze?

Look at this shit.

Haha oh yeah, they even marketed that game as the Halo killer. If I was the dev's I would have been facepalming while the marketing guys did that. After reading the article I have to say its laughable that they are still throwing stones.

Its probably best to contact you ISP aswell as Microsoft. There are network settings you can change on your xbox though, maybe theres an option to revert to default? Probably not what your looking for, but may be worth a try?

Haha oh yeah, that game was marketed so badly, I think the attempt to call it a Halo killer hurt it more than it helped.

I contacted both and they seemed both quite incompetent, at this point I've tried almost anything.

Weird.

I heard very little good about Haze, but hadn't bothered to watch much of it before.

Good lord. If Halo is for babies these guys haven't been conceived yet.

That article is terrible, it's dissapointing me greatly that someone like David Doak could not articulate some of his grievances with the game in a better (smarter) way.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Never a big problem for me, but that's how I interpreted it.
Well, that makes a little more sense. Like you said, though; that problem is not exclusive to Halo at all.

my god, that's an assault on my ear canals. Doesn't help that the two or three voice actors don't sound a day over 15.

Haha oh yeah, they even marketed that game as the Halo killer.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all morning.

Striker

Who the bloody fuck thought that was fair?
See vehicle stun, simultaneous melee -- that's the awfulness of fair in these games.

Blood Gulch was an amazing map for snipers, but Hemmorage is awful, I personally think the scale of the map is too blame for that.
Hemorrhage scale isn't like Blood Gulch anyway, it's Coagulation, but with terribly forged rocks. BG's base, though.

IIRC, wasn't the Halo 2/3 health system basically confirmed for Halo 4? I know there's a single bar at least.
I'm sure it is back to the single bar, but you need to know more info regarding melee, BR shots, and other weapons do in terms of damage. Melee has no reason to be so powerful the way it is in 3/Reach. AR rush+melee was the worst. It just looks so comical. I picture in my head two guys shooting their assault rifle in the middle of Guardian, and smacking each other in the final blow to exchange deaths.

Although I'm not for or against the TU bleed-through, the melee bleed-through should have stayed if possible. The bullet bleed-through was shit. They are probably tied in to one another.

Top Bottom