• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Bungie's Halo games would really look stellar on PC. Wonder if MS will ever put them on it sometime down the line. How much AA and AF can go.
Well, if Halo 1 and 2 are any indication, the next Xbox, if it is backwards compatible, will be able to up the resolution of Halo 3 and ODST by quite a bit. I can't wait.

But I do agree: human environments are great in ODST.

Woorloog

Banned
The biggest crime with H2V was the screwing up of mod support

What support?
Didn't Halo 2 Vista have map editor too by the way?

Oh and we need to play H2V someday, i recently got a wired 360 controller which works for Windows too. And i need to get some achievables.

ElRenoRaven

After how they handled Halo 2 Vista, I'd rather they not bother

I'd agree. Halo 2 PC really was a joke. The only good thing to come out of it was obviously being PC and the lack of pop in during the cutscenes. Other then that it was just a bad port.

What support?

Oh and we need to play H2V someday, i recently got a wired 360 controller which works for Windows too. And i need to get some achievables.

It did but it was extremely gimped on purpose.

FyreWulff

The biggest crime with H2V was the screwing up of mod support

horrible mod support, shitty server browser, broken voice chat, and Microsoft ignoring that they ever made it by ignoring it's achievements on Waypoint, which is silly since Waypoint career tracking comes off as something to cater to hardcore fans, so why not reward your hardcore fans for buying your games?

Hired Gun did a great job on a technical level (framerate, resolution, KBAM/controller support) but they really should have been allowed to exist after the game had shipped. Shit, at this point I'm STILL expecting them to announce Halo 2 Anniversary and say "and now for the first time ever, achievements for Halo 2!"

Karl2177

With these new Grunts, I hope they reiterate the Suicide Grunts. Halo 3/ODST's were good, but easy to counter. Reach's were unfair and cheap. I think it's a cool gameplay mechanic, but it needs to be tweaked if it is to continue.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunesmith in the H4 Screens thread caught this:
Was it noted that according to this screen, Halo 4 is set 3 years after Halo 3?
"Last contact with UNSC 3 years, 4 months, 30 days"
After how they handled Halo 2 Vista, I'd rather they not bother
That bad of a port?
Well, if Halo 1 and 2 are any indication, the next Xbox, if it is backwards compatible, will be able to up the resolution of Halo 3 and ODST by quite a bit. I can't wait.

But I do agree: human environments are great in ODST.
I always felt what held back H3 was the lack off AA and AF more so than the sub 720p.

Sorry Plywood, this time it is you.
Tunesmith in the H4 Screens thread caught this:
God, the grunts look terrible. Ugh.

Whoever I was talking about it with:
Looks like it was as I guessed, 3 years since they lost contact, not 5.

Edit: Actually I think I'm remembering this backwards. He was saying it looked like 3, but I was arguing it should be 5.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that Halo 4 is set in 2557?
Halo 3 ending happens in Christmas 2552. Hmm.
Halo 3 ends March 2553.

ElRenoRaven

horrible mod support, shitty server browser, broken voice chat, and Microsoft ignoring that they ever made it by ignoring it's achievements on Waypoint, which is silly since Waypoint career tracking comes off as something to cater to hardcore fans, so why not reward your hardcore fans for buying your games?

Hired Gun did a great job on a technical level (framerate, resolution, KBAM/controller support) but they really should have been allowed to exist after the game had shipped.

I'd agree almost if they had allowed you a lot more control over your settings options. Option wise it's limited as all hell. Let me turn on or off individual settings if I want damn it. Also it required a pretty damn beefy computer at the time when it really shouldn't have.

Ramirez

You could do it as a spartan. I think you had to crouch jump though, which I do on every single jump I've ever made.

It wasn't even a sure thing with the crouch jump, and usually you had DMRs & nades raining down on you so it was a pointless thing to even try.

FyreWulff

I'd agree almost if they had allowed you a lot more control over your settings options. Option wise it's limited as all hell. Let me turn on or off individual settings if I want damn it.

I made a comparison video on Youtube a long time ago comparing what was in the E3 demo and what made it to the final game. I used Vista to cap the "now" video. It was funny to see people claim in the comments that it looked worse than the actual game. I should have remembered to tell them there's no actual graphical level settings, it's just gamma and AA.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sorry Plywood, this time it is you.
iYlCvF2Yo3fpi.gif

ElRenoRaven

I made a comparison video on Youtube a long time ago comparing what was in the E3 demo and what made it to the final game. I used Vista to cap the "now" video. It was funny to see people claim in the comments that it looked worse than the actual game. I should have remembered to tell them there's no actual graphical level settings, it's just gamma and AA.

Really? ROFLMAO. Why does that not surprise me one bit? People are so stupid sometimes.

And man. That video brings back memories. I always wonder what could have been if they had been able to make that version of the engine work. It was suck an amazing looking game at that time.

Myyke

Neo Member
Really? ROFLMAO. Why does that not surprise me one bit? People are so stupid sometimes.

And man. That video brings back memories. I always wonder what could have been if they had been able to make that version of the engine work. It was suck an amazing looking game at that time.

Dat human architecture.

neoism

shame the BR wasn't like that...

LOOOVE that video. I watch it like 1000 times.

What support?

Basically Halo 1 was a modders dream Gearbox released the HEK (halo editing kit) which consisted of Tool (for compiling) Guerilla (for tag editing) and Sapien (for placement kind of like forge 0.5)

Later 2 modders Kornman00 and Steelix B Created easier to use and more advanced versions of these programs and arguably the biggest thing thats happened is "Open Sauce" Which uses various .DLL files which hook into the pre existing engine and run time to allow for some fantastic additions.

However Halo 2 MS decided they wanted to support modding but not in a smart way instead they for some reason (likely GFWL and servers) they wanted to allow partial modding, yea you have a "map maker" but a modder is much more limited in what the can do.

Retro

Turn off VISR you might like it.

I felt like ODST was too easy with the enemy highlights, and the city (which is really the central character of the game) less impressive with VISR on. So I bumped up the in-game brightness and only use it in a few situations. Much better.

I always liked the design work in Halo 2 the best. I really think that design wise it was the best out of all the Halo games.

I have to disagree Halo 2 has the Worst Human structures IMO, I dream of
Electric Sheep
a Halo 2 Anniversary edition with a redesigned earth that looks more like ODST

Fuchsdh

I've always liked Halo's human architecture. It fit the right role of functional, futuristic with an underlying interesting design. It wasn't 'gritty' by construction or ultrasleek. Even the construction of New Alexandria wasn't too bad, although I think it strayed a little too much from what I liked the most--it was still the most interesting location in Reach, I think.

Yeah. One of my disappointments for the ODST hub world was the lack of tiered streets as shown in the last ViDoc. I mean, I don't think any city has that today, but it would've been really cool.

Hello, everyone. Newbie in Halo here.

Is there a site I can use to get weapon information? Which weapons should I use/How should I use them/In what situations should I use them/How many shots kill/Should I always aim for the head? I'm starting to play Halo Reach more at college with friends and I am at a loss at what weapon does what.

Is there a site I can use to get weapon information? Which weapons should I use/How should I use them/In what situations should I use them/How many shots kill/Should I always aim for the head? I'm starting to play Halo Reach more at college with friends and I am at a loss at what weapon does what.

Get good with the DMR and Sniper Rifle.
Win
???
Profit

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Which gametypes/playlists are you and your friends playing?

ElRenoRaven

ODST pre-release stuff had interesting gameplay designs built into them.

See now the last two are what I would have loved to see more of. The city was so flat from an exploration standpoint. Minus the occasional building to go into. But even then it was mainly hallways most of the time.

Yeah. One of my disappointments for the ODST hub world was the lack of tiered streets as shown in the last ViDoc. I mean, I don't think any city has that today, but it would've been really cool.

Yup I agree.

Which gametypes/playlists are you and your friends playing?
We usually just play Slayer (Sprint Only) on Reflection, Sword Base, Zealot, and Boardwalk (if we get enough people.)

Sometimes we dabble in a little Classic Slayer, SWAT, and Infection.

Get good with the DMR and Sniper Rifle.
Win
???
Profit
1. Don't play Halo: Reach
2. If one isn't an option, spam DMR
One isn't an option. DMR? Cool. I guess I'll learn how to use that weapon better.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Gimme your gamertag, I will carry you.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Is there some sort of proper way to play Sanc? What deity do I pray to so that I don't spawn in a fucking enemy sandwich?

Top Bottom