• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Ramirez

"Warhouse is a pretty incredible name, there's a war going on in that house, sounds like they have their names down."

Meh, wake me when there's new info.

Havok

13 or so minutes in, no new information, no insight or discussion that doesn't sound like anybody actually knows what they're talking about.

"Yeah, I think it was like that..."
The written features have been well done, this was less so.

Fuck it because its so sexy, and one of the better additions to the game.

It should dramatically speed up matchmaking as well as help out in matches where half your team ditches on you.
Speeding up matchmaking isn't worth it if I end up jumping into matches that are 3 kills from ending, which happens all the dang time in Call of Duty. I'd rather wait the extra 20 seconds.

feel

This hands-on feels like it's for the COD/casual crowd, not us.

Speeding up matchmaking isn't worth it if I end up jumping into matches that are 3 kills from ending, which happens all the dang time in Call of Duty. I'd rather wait the extra 20 seconds.
It's optional surely? 343i can't be that dumb.

Jeez, is everyone okay with joining matches mid-game? All I hear is 'oh, this will be so great when people on my team quit'. Don't you care that those people joining a (losing?) game midway will be YOU a lot of the time?

Its one of the very, very few things that Halo should take from COD. Mid-match joins + automatically staying with the same group of players solves a lot of annoyances in matchmaking. That way, at worst you join mid-match for only a single game.

Don't bother.
Yep. Nothing new for HaloGAF. In fact it looks like we've gotten more clarifications on things than the GI folks have.

Jeez, is everyone okay with joining matches mid-game? All I hear is 'oh, this will be so great when people on my team quit'. Don't you care that those people joining a (losing?) game midway will be YOU a lot of the time?
Not a fan. Don't think it's conducive to the "good connection, closest skill or fastest time" options that we've come to expect either.

Overdoziz

Banned
Pretty much all the GI videos have had the same info they already published in the magazine.

It's fine in social playlists. Especially BTB where I can't even remember when the last time was that nobody quit out of a game.

I think it's funny how they're explaining the now-familiar (from other MP games) system of in-game 'currency' and loadouts like it's some sort of mysterious new system.

Havok

Its one of the very, very few things that Halo should take from COD. Mid-match joins + automatically staying with the same group of players solves a lot of annoyances in matchmaking. That way, at worst you join mid-match for only a single game.
At that point, I've then just wasted a bunch of time waiting for a match to end when I have no chance of winning, then waiting for a second vote, then waiting for another map load in order to get into a full game before it starts. Just put me in a fresh game to begin with and don't mess around with punishing quitters by being actually harsh this time. I know where you're coming from by your other posts, but I'm coming at it as a player who flat out doesn't have fun losing, especially when there isn't anything I can do to stop it.

And frankly, I'd rather deal with a couple quitters than have to deal with midmatch joiners that run out into the middle of nowhere, get killed, and cement the enemy team's lead instead of being able to pull out a win with my party.

However, I suspect it will be like the current Gears 3 setup, where ranked matches are not DIDO but unranked are, which I'm fine with.

Ramirez

I'm fine with DIDO when I'm with a team of 4, I think most of you guys are looking at it from a single perspective. If it's like CoD where you just keep carrying over from match to match (and it should if it's not ranked), then it's awesome. Your team of 4 will get a constant stream of people to dump on and you just go from one map right to the next, no waiting in lobbies for 10 minutes. What's not to love?!

...I think I hate Reach.

Here's how my Halo playing went today.

-Booted up Halo: Reach, tried to do challenge in Campaign on Heroic
-Can't dodge ANYTHING because movement sucks
-Warthog controls like shit on 2nd level
-Tries to remember which way to go, but Bungie had the bright idea to make the game look duller so it's all grey rocks as far as the eye can see.
-Vehicle suddenly BLOWS UP although I'm at half shield, remember Reach's vehicles are unreliable pieces of shit that will blow up without as much of a warning
-Gets smacked by a Hunter that I've could have dodged in ANY other Halo game('cept maybe ODST? not sure)
-Randomly killed by explosion when screen flares up Fuel Rod cannon fire

Ejected game, threw it across the room

-Booted up Halo 3, The Covenant, Heroic
-Can suddenly jump and move like a Halo game
-Grenades aren't portable nuclear devices
-Vehicles control well, barely survive awesome encounter that would have never worked in Reach
-Enjoy playing the game

Fuchsdh

At that point, I've then just wasted a bunch of time waiting for a match to end when I have no chance of winning, then waiting for a second vote, then waiting for another map load in order to get into a full game before it starts. Just put me in a fresh game to begin with.

And frankly, I'd rather deal with a couple quitters than have to deal with midmatch joiners that run out into the middle of nowhere, get killed, and cement the enemy team's lead instead of being able to pull out a win with my party.

Indeed. Better the devil you know....

As long as I can at least choose not to get chucked into a game in progress I'll be happy, I guess. I'd rather have fresh skill and connection optimized games.

...Speaking of which guys you were all griping about the FF/Co-op code so I just ran a few more games and took a look. With the connection preference selected out of fourteen FF Arcade games only one was laggy to the point of unplayability, and two had noticeable frame drops. This was between 10am-3pm EST, and my connection is "Good" on an open NAT.

I think it just be the time of day you guys play (not that I blame you, my work schedule's been pretty atypical recently).

Here's how my Halo playing went today.

-Booted up Halo: Reach, tried to do challenge in Campaign on Heroic
-Can't dodge ANYTHING because movement sucks
-Warthog controls like shit on 2nd level
-Tries to remember which way to go, but Bungie had the bright idea to make the game look duller so it's all grey rocks as far as the eye can see.
-Vehicle suddenly BLOWS UP although I'm at half shield, remember Reach's vehicles are unreliable pieces of shit that will blow up without as much of a warning
-Gets smacked by a Hunter that I've could have dodged in ANY other Halo game('cept maybe ODST? not sure)
-Randomly killed by explosion when screen flares up Fuel Rod cannon fire

Ejected game, threw it across the room

-Booted up Halo 3, The Covenant, Heroic
-Can suddenly jump and move like a Halo game
-Grenades aren't portable nuclear devices
-Vehicles control well, barely survive awesome encounter that would have never worked in Reach
-Enjoy playing the game

I don't really notice the vehicle handling for most of Reach's vehicles as worse, except for the Scorpion. Playing the Package I end up driving backwards half the time because it's difficult to straighten out the damn tank. On Legendary, where the Fuel Rod turrets outside Sword Base home in on you, it's only possible to win via attrition and memory.

Reach on Legendary is simply not fun.

That's where we differ, big time. And I'd wager if that if we put it to a vote of all Halo players join-in-progress would win by a landslide.

I guess it also helps that I'm not just playing to win at all costs, but that I just enjoy the battles and try to put in a solid effort. Joining mid match doesn't sour the game at all or make the match useless for me. Just another point where we differ.

m23

Nothing new in the video except one thing that I didn't know. He said something about upgrading not only your loadouts, but being able to increase the number of loadouts you can take into a match. Kind of a waste of time.

"To wrap up our week of Halo 4 multiplayer coverage, we wanted to speak directly about our experience with the game. While on the cover story trip visiting 343 Industries we had a blast playing a couple of multiplayer matches with the developers. There is a lot of new information to process, and we hope this feature serves as a sufficient summary on what to expect when you get your hands on the game this fall. Watch the video below to see Game Informer editors Matt Miller and Bryan Vore share their thoughts on the changes to multiplayer in Halo 4 with associate editor Kyle Hilliard."

Lol "coverage"... lol "sufficient summary".

I'm still fuming over drop-in, drop-out.. only because im that guy who's unlucky enough to consistently get put into half over games where the team i get put on is getting donged on.

Nothing new in the video except one thing that I didn't know. He said something about upgrading not only your loadouts, but being able to increase the number of loadouts you can take into a match. Kind of a waste of time.

In b4, "CoD lol"

Havok

That's where we differ, big time. And I'd wager if that if we put it to a vote of all Halo players join-in-progress would win by a landslide.
Yeah, but if we put "best playlist" to a vote then Infection would win by a landslide. The majority of Halo players are kinda dumb and don't really care about competitive experience.

That's not to say that all this stuff doesn't have a place, I'm just stubborn and set in my ways.

Kuroyume

Banned
Drop in/out is the best thing to happen to Halo. I would rather deal with its shortcomings than spending the last 15 minutes of a match searching for some dude that's hiding because his team left. That's just torture. I don't put up with that shit anymore and just leave myself. Feels bad when I do it to another team. Drop should be both in ranked and social. Maybe keep it out of MLG to keep the crying to a minimum.

Trey

Drop in/out is the best thing to happen to Halo. I would rather deal with its shortcomings than spending the last 15 minutes of a match searching for some dude that's hiding because his team left. That's just torture. I don't put up with that shit anymore and just leave myself. Feels bad when I do it to another team. Drop should be both in ranked and social. Maybe keep it out of MLG to keep the crying to a minimum.

Nah.

Yeah, as much as i'd love the constant donging on BKs, I'd rather not when I have to play by myself at 3AM get stuck joining into that situation.

EDIT: Matchmaking option to not join mid-game? Everybody wins.

Tawpgun

Was the not-random aspect of the weapon drops talked about in a bulletin, because if I wasn't on HaloGAF I'd still genuinely believe they were going for completely random weapon drops.

Yeah, but if we put "best playlist" to a vote then Infection would win by a landslide. The majority of Halo players are kinda dumb and don't really care about competitive experience.

That's not to say that all this stuff doesn't have a place, I'm just stubborn and set in my ways.
True, a popular vote doesn't lead to a better game and that is a weak argument on my part. But to take things from the opposite perspective you don't necessarily get a better game from listening to the most hardcore of the hardcore either.

I guess it also helps that I'm not just playing to win at all costs, but that I just enjoy the battles and try to put in a solid effort. Joining mid match doesn't sour the game at all or make the match useless for me. Just another point where we differ.

I still wish they would have went the GG route and allowed people to surrender via unanimous vote if a teammate quits out.

Top Bottom