• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We usually just play Slayer (Sprint Only) on Reflection, Sword Base, Zealot, and Boardwalk (if we get enough people.)

Sometimes we dabble in a little Classic Slayer, SWAT, and Infection.

One isn't an option. DMR? Cool. I guess I'll learn how to use that weapon better.

Yea, learn to use the DMR well and you'll be well on your way.

DMR: 5 shot kill. 4 shots to pop shields (can hit anywhere on body) and one headshots to finish the player off. When shields are popped it takes 3 body shots to finish the player off. Pace your shots at medium to long range. Close range, you don't have to pace your shots.

I'm guessing there will be no bleedthrough in the normal slayer so if you melee a guy with shields, it won't kill, it will only take his shields down.

If a guy with an Assault Rifle or any other close range gun is shooting at you and running towards you, back up. Finish the kill with the DMR. They want to drop your shields by the time they reach you and melee you to kill you.

Grenade launcher as 2 types of firing methods. If you press the trigger and release it immediately it will go a certain distance and explode. You can bounce it off anywhere. However, if you hold the trigger, it won't explode. It will lie on the floor or where ever until you release the trigger.

Pistol is a 5 shot weapon and has a higher firing rate than the DMR but it is hard to land shots with. It's a really good close range weapon. Can wreck an Assault Rifle close range.

That's some basic stuff.

These screenshots.... yum yum.

Hello, everyone. Newbie in Halo here.
mctG0.gif

GhaleonEB

I always liked the design work in Halo 2 the best. I really think that design wise it was the best out of all the Halo games.

I also really like the New Alexandria missions in Reach for their human architecture designs.

It's probably fitting, but the really grungy industrial locations are the least interesting visually; Foundry, Reach's mining facility (Tip of the Spear) and smelter (Pillar of Autumn). There's probably not any way to make those kinds of locations visually appealing, which is why I wish the series had avoided them.

Voi in Halo 3 was the best take on that kid of area.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't have live, I just play offline in cawlej for now. I'll probably get live again either during the summer or when Halo 4 gets out. My gamertag is "spindashing", though!
Oh, well than:

Always try go for the midrange weapons, if you don't spawn with them, depending on the map they can be closeby, that is:

DMR
Needle Rifle, note: has a faster firing rate than the DMR and slightly less bloom(that's the expanding reticle that mucks up your shots if you fire too fast) and if you pop their shields but can't land a headshot, don't worry keep shooting them and they will explode.

From there try to get the power weapons:

Rocket
Sniper
Shotgun
Grenade Launcher, etc.

Other misc. tips:
Go for higher ground
Crouching makes you disappear off radar
People(that's enemies!) can hear your Spartan huffing and puffing from all the sprinting
Learn Weapon Locations and Spawn Times
Learn shortcuts and take them
Cover is your friend
Don't be afraid to pull out from a losing battle
Default spawn time(via the game clock) for power weapons(on slayer) are:

• Map start
  • 8:40-45(Roughly)
  • 5:40-45(Roughly)

Grenades:
  • They're nukes, like this:
    6i15n.gif
  • You can throw them directly at the enemy and they will bounce off their body and land right in front of them
  • If not, toss one under their feet
  • Either way, they wipe out shields and can net kills easy

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.
SAlTi.gif

Oozer3993

The "Last contact with UNSC 3 years, 4 months, 30 days" has me scratching my head. The Game Informer article specifically mentioned it being 4 years, 7 months, and 10 days since the Forward Unto Dawn broke apart while entering the portal. There's a couple explanations I can think of, but both have holes:

1. Due to the weird behavior of time in Slipspace, the Pillar of Autumn came out of the portal more than a year after it entered. This doesn't sit right. The portal was created by Forerunner technology, and the Forerunners were masters of Slipspace. The portal took the Human and Covenant forces almost instantaneously from Earth to the Ark. The FUD couldn't have spent much time

2. The Forward Unto Dawn had contact with the UNSC a year after emerging from the portal. This doesn't quite fit either. If the UNSC had contact with the Forward Unto Dawn a year after the split, why did they take 3 years to reach it? Even the slowest UNSC ships should have made it to the FUD in far less time. And the Infinity probably would not have taken more than a month.

3. The panel in the game says "Unknown" and not "UNSC." This seems the most likely. But it still leaves open the question of what the ship had contact with.

Oh, and going by the date from the Game Informer article, Halo 4 starts on July 21st, 2557. If the date in the screenshot is also correct, then the FUD last had contact with something on February 20th, 2554. Assuming I did my math correctly.

----------------------------------

And now for a bit of wild speculation:
Due to the name of the construct, "Reqiuem," I'm guessing we might find some dead Forerunners in it.

shame the BR wasn't like that...

LOOOVE that video. I watch it like 1000 times.

Removing the single-shot-when-zoomed-in functionality of the BR was a late decision. It was still in as late as E3 2004, which occurred in May.

Fuchsdh

The "Last contact with UNSC 3 years, 4 months, 30 days" has me scratching my head. The Game Informer article specifically mentioned it being 4 years, 7 months, and 10 days since the Forward Unto Dawn broke apart while entering the portal. There's a couple explanations I can think of, but both have holes:

1. Due to the weird behavior of time in Slipspace, the Pillar of Autumn came out of the portal more than a year after it entered. This doesn't sit right. The portal was created by Forerunner technology, and the Forerunners were masters of Slipspace. The portal took the Human and Covenant forces almost instantaneously from Earth to the Ark. The FUD couldn't have spent much time

2. The Forward Unto Dawn had contact with the UNSC a year after emerging from the portal. This doesn't quite fit either. If the UNSC had contact with the Forward Unto Dawn a year after the split, why did they take 3 years to reach it? Even the slowest UNSC ships should have made it to the FUD in far less time. And the Infinity probably would not have taken more than a month.

Due to the name of the construct, "Reqiuem," I'm guessing we might find some dead Forerunners in it.

Removing the single-shot-when-zoomed-in functionality of the BR was a late decision. It was still in as late as E3 2004, which occurred in May.

Why do you think they could have reached the FUD in a little amount of time? Remember that they were traveling from the other end of the galaxy. The Halo universe is pretty damn tiny, especially when compared to other sci-fi universes.

To put it in perspective, it was going to take a crew in Star Trek 70 years to get from one quarter of the galaxy back home. And that was going at hundreds of times c.

daedalius

Could GI just have written the time incorrectly? It being in a screenshot in the first level makes me think they just screwed up, or were told a wrong time on accident.

Tawpgun

Not sure how demanding this is, but at least in singeplayer I hope they keep persistent bulletholes and blood.

Ever Halo since the blood and bullet holes disappear.

Oh, well than:

Always try go for the midrange weapons, if you don't spawn with them, depending on the map they can be closeby, that is:

DMR
Needle Rifle, note: has a faster firing rate than the DMR and slightly less bloom(that's the expanding reticle that mucks up your shots if you fire too fast) and if you pop their shields but can't land a headshot, don't worry keep shooting them and they will explode.

From there try to get the power weapons:

Rocket
Sniper
Shotgun
Grenade Launcher, etc.

Other misc. tips:
Go for higher ground
Crouching makes you disappear off radar
People(that's enemies!) can hear your Spartan huffing and puffing from all the sprinting
Learn Weapon Locations and Spawn Times
Learn shortcuts and take them
Cover is your friend
Don't be afraid to pull out from a losing battle
Default spawn time(via the game clock) for power weapons(on slayer) are:
  • Map start
  • 8:40-45(Roughly)
  • 5:40-45(Roughly)

Grenades:
  • They're nukes, like this:
    6i15n.gif

• You can throw them directly at the enemy and they will bounce off their body and land right in front of them
  • If not, toss one under their feet
  • Either way, they wipe out shields and can net kills easy
Plywood you are my best GAF friend. Thank you.

Maybe ONI detected the signal and it's hiding the position of the Chief. Or Cortana blocked the communication. In Halo: Legends, the viewer can see that Cortana tries to protect the Chief. She connects War with Humanity. If the Chief gets back to Humanity, he has to fight again. And he will fight because he is a soldier.

All some random thoughts of this. Definitely nothing we will see in Halo 4.

Oozer3993

Why do you think they could have reached the FUD in a little amount of time? Remember that they were traveling from the other end of the galaxy. The Halo universe is pretty damn tiny, especially when compared to other sci-fi universes.

To put it in perspective, it was going to take a crew in Star Trek 70 years to get from one quarter of the galaxy back home. And that was going at hundreds of times c.

It's possible, it just feels unlikely. The Pillar of Autumn went from Reach, solidly within Human explored space, to Installation 04, outside of Human explored space, in a little less than 3 weeks. And humanity's capability for speed in Slipspace has increased dramatically since then due to the Master Chief's capture of the Ascendant Justice, and the (Glasslands spoilers)
discovery of the Forerunner ships in the Trevelyan shield world.
The distance between Requiem and any Earth colony would have to be immense. If the Infinity were able to travel as fast as a Covenant ship though Slipspace (said to be 912.12 light years per day), it would take 280 days to reach The Ark, which is 240,000 light years away from Earth. And that's assuming that ONI did not make any enhancements to that number due to their research into the
Trevelyan Forerunner ships
. That means that Requiem would have to be about 3 times farther way from Earth, or more than 720,000 light years away. I just don't think 343i would place the game that far away from everything else in the Halo universe. But it is possible.

Could GI just have written the time incorrectly? It being in a screenshot in the first level makes me think they just screwed up, or were told a wrong time on accident.

It was too specific for that kind of mistake. Besides, Kiki Wolfkill said Halo 4 start "about 5 years" since the end of Halo 3.

Oozer3993

Frankie, you sly dog:

March 5th 1UP Halo 4 Article said:
1UP: As far as release timing goes for Halo, it seems like Halo games started out as November games and then slowly crept up into a September [release window]. This year, specifically, looks like a huge year. Assassin's Creed III and BioShock Infinite will be within three weeks of each other. There's a potential Wii-U and another potential Call of Duty release...

FO: ...and an election.

The release date was in front of our noses the whole time!

the worst part about halo 2 vista is that everyone is playing shitty gametypes online. this is the one pc game that would have benefited from optimatch. i still await halo 2 xbla..

edit: halo 2 vista achievements in halo waypoint would be nice too

FyreWulff

Speaking of which, I just finally got everything set up on this computer and went to go reinstall it today. Fucking disc is cracked.

How does that happen when it's in the box!? Damnit.

Just started reading Cryptum last night.

What the fuck am I reading?!?!

Some truly bizarre stuff in there but I honestly can't put it down. You remember that part in JFK where they finally put all the pieces together in the great conspiracy? Or in V for Vendetta when the dominoes slowly begin to fall? Well between all the arcane half-communications from terminals in Halo Anniversary, Halo: 3 and Reach and this book its all starting to come together. What a trip.

After how they handled Halo 2 Vista, I'd rather they not bother
So because something was bad once never try again?

Okay.

I always felt what held back H3 was the lack off AA and AF more so than the sub 720p.
Lower resolutions exacerbate aliasing. Any anti aliasing they could have achieved at the time very well could have been offset by just rendering at a higher resolution. Still, Halo 3 on PC with 16x AF and a full suite of AA options would be a tasty dish.

Top Bottom