• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

TheOddOne

The more I listen to the music samples from Halo 4, the more I like them. Some of it is sort of generic "action-adventure movie" stuff, but keep in mind, there is a lot of game to fill and not all of it is going to involve exploring mysterious alien structures. I'm sure Neil is operating under the mandate of "more and different" so that 343 has plenty of music to blend into the game.

It will be interesting to see if there is a bump in Massive Attack's back catalog when the OST releases.
I actually disliked the art trailer music initially, I love it now.

CyReN

We can all move to Detroit and buy an apartment building for a hundred dollars. Dunno where we're gonna find rainbow ponies, though. Tashi will have to take care of that.

We would have such epic LAN bro downs.

Detroit about 30-40 mins for me, guys can sleep here at night;)

Ramirez

Come play with me and a few of the very good players I play with some night and I'll show you... like Halo, it's all based on what's going on at the time. Where your team is, where the other team is, and what locations are open based on that. And it changes with game type...

Here's the key, anything is controllable with a good group of players. The vast majority of gamers though play alone, or at least no where near a full team of great players. Do you get bad spawns in Halo? Sure, but not at the frequency you get them in CoD, and it has to be because of the instant spawning, there's now way a game can keep track of 12-16 people all spawning instantly after each death and not mess it up a lot every game.

The one key advantage Halo has here is that most games are capped at 8 people, with 12-16 people in CoD, that probably plays a larger role in the garbage spawns than anything else.

The main reason I hate instant respawning is because you aren't penalized for dying, how many times does a guy spawn in CoD and run right back to where he died and try to mop up the guy that just killed him? Sometimes it doesn't even give you enough time to move to a new location before you have to worry about that guy coming back.

Like I said, I'm open to the idea if they can make it work, but from my experiences in other games, it just doesn't work on a consistent basis.

You, Go Here
I seem to remember your like a walking bibliography of montages, go and post lots of Halo stuff so people see how good halo is.

Quake montages are awesome, and I played a ton of quake back in the day, but I prefer watching Halo. I know im going to get lynched for this, but I feel more can happen in a Halo battle. (as long as its not Reach) In terms of twitch shooting Quake probably takes more skill, but theres more to think about in Halo (In my opinion)

Quake montages are awesome, and I played a ton of quake back in the day, but I prefer watching Halo. I know im going to get lynched for this, but I feel more can happen in a Halo battle. (as long as its not Reach) In terms of twitch shooting Quake probably takes more skill, but theres more to think about in Halo (In my opinion)

I agree completely, not only do i find halo more fun to watch but i think the lack of "twitch" required can make for some much more enjoyable experiences.

However if halo or quake take more skill ? i dont even want to talk about it. Its like comparing SuperBike TT to World Rally Championship.

I love the on-field rivalries that occur in Halo. Games like Quake, Unreal Tournament and Call of Duty are too fast-paced to allow these to develop the way they do in Halo. Not only do I know there's a dude sniping from the top of the Pelican, but I know his tag and I can make it my mission to only go after him.

Risen

Here's the key, anything is controllable with a good group of players. The vast majority of gamers though play alone, or at least no where near a full team of great players.

But the playing field itself is level... it's skill (gaining and implementing knowledge) that makes the difference.

My point is that the spawns are more balanced than you think and instant spawn actually adds to the game play. The clusterf*ck you speak of is simply a problem in knowledge. Even Halo is a cluster with randoms.

CyReN

ouqas.jpg

Top Bottom