• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

My first instinct at the idea of controlling some sort of mech in campaign isn't a good one. Mechs, from my experience in games, are slow, clumsy – not fun to fight in.

You're right, the only mech game that I ever played that was the opposite what you're describing is phantom crash, awesome game.

Woorloog

Banned
But I agree with you assesment of mechs: it screams slow and clumsy, and if that's the case I don't want it in a Halo campaign.

Doesn't have to be slow and clumsy. It could be like MechWarrior 4 (mekpak) Dasher, running at 160kph with 10 meter tall machine... EDIT or it could be like MechAssault mechs which were not clumsy. Damm i miss that game.

It is odd how often mechs/walkers in fiction are clumsy and slow. They're supposed to be good on rough terrain (mostly, eg Starcraft Goliath is an exception, it is a city fighter (though you wouldn't guess that based on pathfinding AI)) yet they're slower than tanks in such terrain...

Gotta say i'd take slow and clumsy mech over the fucking Scorpion tank in campaign anyday. A mech would be cool, even it were slow and clumsy.

A mech in Halo should be able to walk over rocks and other rough terrain without issues (ie you just walk toward a rock and it just steps over it), it should have very fast turn rate (either turning the whole machine or just torso) and be responsive, this would allow it to respond to threats easily. Or bybass them. This would make it fun and/or interested even if it were slow like the Scorpion (as long as it ain't Halo 2 slow...)

GhaleonEB

Doesn't have to be slow and clumsy. It could be like MechWarrior 4 (mekpak) Dasher, running at 160kph with 10 meter tall machine... EDIT or it could be like MechAssault mechs which were not clumsy. Damm i miss that game.

It is odd how often mechs/walkers in fiction are clumsy and slow. They're supposed to be good on rough terrain (mostly, eg Starcraft Goliath is an exception, it is a city fighter (though you wouldn't guess that based on pathfinding AI)) yet they're slower than tanks in such terrain...
That would be nice. The last mech game I played was Lost Planet (the first one), which was sort of the definition of what I was describing, and the opposite of your descriptions.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Contrary to the Weekly Bulletin saying it was now double and contrary to the 'win games fast' sentiment expressed in this post, it is actually 7x the usual amount and the optimal way to earn this is to extend games as long as possible so you minimise the time where you are not in a game and earning cR.
fGhr9.gif

Woorloog

Banned
That would be nice. The last mech game I played was Lost Planet (the first one), which was sort of the definition of what I was describing, and the opposite of your descriptions.

I suppose i should go search a mech gameplay vid of Lost Planet, i don't think i've ever seen that game in action... *opens youtube*

EDIT my google-fu sucks and couldn't find what i was looking for. Someone explain Lost Planet mechs. Or are they self-explanatory, get stuck on stuff, are slow and turn slowly?

Fuchsdh

I remember playing Mechwarrior 4 and being blown away by the customization options... and then getting annoyed at the game because playing it with a joystick meant I'd twist my mech rather than making hard turns.

Mechassault: Lone Wolf wasn't a bad game either.

There are ways of making mechs fun, I'm not just sure it fits into the realm of Halo--to compensate for their relatively speed and weight, the mechs in MechWarrior can trash the environment in a way Halo vehicles can't.

Woorloog

Banned
I remember playing Mechwarrior 4 and being blown away by the customization options... and then getting annoyed at the game because playing it with a joystick meant I'd twist my mech rather than making hard turns.

You didn't adjust the settings properly, joystick can be set to turn the mech instead of turning torso. That said, i have no idea whether it can support both actions (if you have twistable joystick).

And good points.

GhaleonEB

Yeah. Linking the Game Complete bonus to the Performance (win) payout is a bad idea, especially if the goal is to encourage players to focus on the objective. It just adds (lots) of motivation to extend the game: the longer the game, the bigger the payout. And now, the payout is MUCH bigger for longer games.

The best approach is to set the Performance Bonus payout to decay based on game lenghth, so that it is optimal to score rapid victories. That would reward swift victories much more richly than running out the clock and discourage some of the objective holding.

Woorloog

Banned
Good point, although half the fun of the scorpion tank for me was just filling it with marines hanging off the sides with decent weapons.
One shot from an enemy to my turret, all my marines die. Or.. A marine fires a rocketlauncher, hits the ghost that is stuck on me and blows my tank up.
Let's put a Spartan in a mech.
Yeah that makes sense.

You're right, Spartan in a mech isn't that useful, if we forget that Spartans are excellent drivers/pilots (at least i'd imagine they're).
But putting a Spartan in a mech-sized Mjolnir armor suit?

Gaming side thread. SMH.

Indeed.

Woorloog

Banned
But what would you put the mech into?

To another, bigger mech of course. Duh.

Or to a mech sized powered exoskeleton. And then you can put that to another bigger mech.

EDIT it occured to me that my avatar depicts a mech. Fitting for this discussion i guess.

The Cyclops 2 is not playable in MP or Campaign. Sorry Kyle. I know you wanted it to be playable so you could just move it out of the way. It's dressing for that level.

Not playable does not mean we cannot see it in action somewhere...

GhaleonEB

The Cyclops 2 is not playable in MP or Campaign. Sorry Kyle. I know you wanted it to be playable so you could just move it out of the way. It's dressing for that level.

Playable in Spartan Ops, confirmed. :p

Kidding aside, that's what I was assuming and am glad to hear it.

Spawnling

The best approach is to set the Performance Bonus payout to decay based on game lenghth, so that it is optimal to score rapid victories. That would reward swift victories much more richly than running out the clock and discourage some of the objective holding.[/QUOTE]

I have been wanting this idea in Reach for quite sometime! The only reason objective holding is so popular is because you're rewarded for doing so. It's ideal to the Reach ranking system.

Got Reach today.

As far as DLC goes, I won't be buying anything right away. Will I be able to get into matches having just the base game? Don't have the cash to lay out on DLC just yet. Not sure what to get, either.

kylej

Banned
Let's put a Spartan in a mech.
Yeah that makes sense.

Kotaku EXCLUSIVE: Inside a 343 design meeting:

phone.gif
Ok boys so Bungie did a flying space sequence, we can't replicate that in the next Halo game, what's our special campaign moment?

*Microsoft exec speaks up*

emot-corsair.gif
What does Call of Duty do?

phoneb.gif
Call of Duty?

emot-corsair.gif
*pulls out book of every post-COD 4 video game moment, slides over to 343 employee*

phone(1).gif
Says here they shot the character in the head in first person... nah too violent. Shoot people from a plane with a black and white camera.... hm maybe a plane?

phoneb.gif
Nah that's too close... really, nothing we can crib from COD? What if we tie Master Chief up in front of a room of TVs and interrogate him, but instead of asking him about numbers we ask him about the letters

phone(1).gif
You mean that asshole from NeoGAF?

phoneb.gif
No like the numbers.

phone(1).gif
You mean that other asshole from NeoGAF?

phoneb.gif
No, how bout this, we put Master Chief in a time machine and bring it back to World War II, but instead of Nazis you're fighting grunts with SS uniforms on

phone(1).gif
Promising. Ryan Payton, how do you feel about this? Ryan?

phoneb.gif
Oh Ryan just jumped in a pit of acid after seeing the direction of the game, ok let's reconvene in six months, for now post funny spartan images on Halo Waypoint.

*6 months later*

phoneb.gif
Throw a spartan in a mech for a little bit, that'll also let us reuse that asset in multiplayer.

phone(1).gif
Ship it.

Woorloog

Banned
Got Reach today.

As far as DLC goes, I won't be buying anything right away. Will I be able to get into matches having just the base game? Don't have the cash to lay out on DLC just yet. Not sure what to get, either.

Yeah, well, it ain't like you'd get to play DLC maps even if you'd have them (on normal, no DLC required lists). The last time i played with my friend, we played 33 matches in a row and we got only one match on Tempest (there were one or two matches on Anniversary maps but we were playing on Anniversary lists... I wonder when i'm going to get a chance to play on Highlands...).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All of this is funny as shit with the DLC, didn't Urk or Frankie say that matchmaking would work in a way that would put an emphasis on keeping people with DLC together?

That's obviously not the case.

Woorloog

Banned
All of this is funny as shit with the DLC, didn't Urk say that matchmaking would work in a way that would put an emphasis on keeping people with DLC together?

That's obviously not the case.

As i noted, one DLC map out of 31 games. Either people don't have the DLC maps (possible, i wonder why...), the weighting is too low (this shouldn't be the case, IIRC it's been repeated stated that the DLC have quite high weighting) or the system doesn't match me with others who have DLC.

As i noted, one DLC map out of 31 games. Either people don't have the DLC maps (possible, i wonder why...), the weighting is too low (this shouldn't be the case, IIRC it's been repeated stated that the DLC have quite high weighting) or the system doesn't match me with others who have DLC.
Sort of works in firefight doubles. I get Installation 04 6-7 times out of ten ;P But I haven't seen Unearthed in a good long while.

kylej

Banned
I stopped hanging out as well... lack of interest I guess. You changed your infamous avatar?

temporarily. If I don't think about Cortana's new cans in Halo 4 there's pretty much nothing to be excited about. I don't know why the old HaloGAF guard is all leaving, seems like there's been an exponential rise in sensitive people and canon nerds, need good people to hang around to balance it out. maybe that explains it, I guess.

Woorloog

Banned
Sort of works in firefight doubles. I get Installation 04 6-7 times out of ten ;P But I haven't seen Unearthed in a good long while.

If i play Firefight, i play merely that solo list. Anyone else is in the game and the lag is unbearable, unplayable. I cannot stand the input lag even if there ain't no latency (and if i pull the host, others quit).
Definetly ain't working for MM.

Woorloog

Banned
I do quite often. Love stickies.

Getting stickies ain't so difficult depending on your playstyle. My friend gets them often, i get them rarely. We play quite differently... though oddly, i'm the more aggressive, close combatant. I guess i don't throw 'nades in CQB but my friend does.

temporarily. If I don't think about Cortana's new cans in Halo 4 there's pretty much nothing to be excited about. I don't know why the old HaloGAF guard is all leaving, seems like there's been an exponential rise in sensitive people and canon nerds, need good people to hang around to balance it out. maybe that explains it, I guess.
It's been on the cards for like 2 years now, if not longer.
And over the past 8 months things have changed a lot.

Top Bottom