• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

I'm leaving work now, need to set up my new router and Special Edition White controller then I'll play

Haha, I wonder how long it will take you to set up you Special Edition White controller.

...wait, there's a special edition white controller? I remember when all 360 controllers were white.

I like how the fiOs modem is the router, eliminating one hop in the network and eliminating a piece in the setup. Although now my DIR-825 is just sitting in a bag.

Made me cringe. Those router/modem combos are almost universally bad, in my experience.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I used to pull close to 30mbps down, but I had to swap routers back to my old piece of shit because of a compatibility issue. Right now I think I pull about 8mb down, 2 or 3 up. Hopefully this new one can handle my fat pipe.

Isn't it 1pm in California? And isn't Formal like 16 or so? I don't know how these kids play video games during the day instead of being in high school.

Dunno bruh, maybe he's homeschooled or he's just that good.

I like how the fiOs modem is the router, eliminating one hop in the network and eliminating a piece in the setup. Although now my DIR-825 is just sitting in a bag.

I want fios, but that don't have that shit out in Cornfield, U.S.A

CyReN

Killa KC? All I know from that preview was what Cyren wrote. I don't recall reading any real interesting revelations, correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, time to move on. HaloGAF has given recoil the stamp of approval, I'm sure it'll be minor, easily adaptable and you won't even notice it after a few games. On to the next topic.

Big things from KC:
  • Sprint felt less clunky
  • No Health-packs
  • Small bullet spread with BR
  • Bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach
  • Hologram was very similar to the hologram from Halo Reach
  • Plasma Pistol shoots a little bit slower now when rapidly pressing the trigger

Trying to get KC on THC for one show sometime soon, busy guy:(

Comcast gave me a modem/router combo, but I had to rent it from them for $8 a month. Eff that.

Yea do that. Its EIGHT dollars a month. One less hop means better ping to everywhere. Even if the upload/download aint as high as long as its still decent its worth it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Big things from KC:
  • Sprint felt less clunky
  • No Health-packs
  • Small bullet spread with BR
  • Bloom reset much faster than the DMR in Halo Reach
  • Hologram was very similar to the hologram from Halo Reach
  • Plasma Pistol shoots a little bit slower now when rapidly pressing the trigger

Trying to get KC on THC for one show sometime soon, busy guy:(
Get on Reach.

*pause*
Yes.

Cortana: [on seeing a grunt] Oh, shit. These ain't normal grunts.
Chief: What my partner means is that these are a special breed called, umm...
Cortana: Big motherfuckers.

or

Cortana: You see that?
Chief: They throwin' ghosts! How'd I not see that?
Cortana: Hey, Mike, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Chief: Hey, you'd know what would be fuckin' helpful, Cortana? Just shut the fuck up and let me drive, let's try that!

or

[after Chief's flashback about his abduction and training]
Cortana: John, you go to Halsey to get your suit fixed, not bang her.
Chief: Now you just talking nasty.

You missed the scene where Cortana has to pretend to be Chief and just keeps saying "I'm Mike Lowery".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh, router and modem, fun stuff. My web has been hanging for 1-2 minutes at a time randomly for 3 weeks now. It appears my modem reboots or re-connects each time. It causes me to go into the networking screen in a game of Reach and hang there until it kicks back in, which sometimes puts me back in the game, other times ends the game.

So much so that I am being threatened with a quit ban. :(

Mediacom (provider) came and looked at everything and couldn't find the issue, then blamed it on some corrosion on the cable tip. Replaced it, and it broke again 3 hours later. I think it's the modem.

Oh, router and modem, fun stuff. My web has been hanging for 1-2 minutes at a time randomly for 3 weeks now. It appears my modem reboots or re-connects each time. It causes me to go into the networking screen in a game of Reach and hang there until it kicks back in, which sometimes puts me back in the game, other times ends the game.

So much so that I am being threatened with a quit ban. :(

Mediacom (provider) came and looked at everything and couldn't find the issue, then blamed it on some corrosion on the cable tip. Replaced it, and it broke again 3 hours later. I think it's the modem.

Pffffffft.

That's amazing.

Yea do that. Its EIGHT dollars a month. One less hop means better ping to everywhere. Even if the upload/download aint as high as long as its still decent its worth it.

My vote would be for him to continue to wage a silent war on Comcast. Eight dollars a month is eight dollars a month that they aren't getting. Kylej's hate for Halo 4<my hate for Comcast. Stay strong kylej!

Edit: This post should in no way be construed as an endorsement of kylej's Halo 4-related opinions. I wanted to make that clear since, you know, I'm afraid of saying anything negative about the game.

temporarily. If I don't think about Cortana's new cans in Halo 4 there's pretty much nothing to be excited about. I don't know why the old HaloGAF guard is all leaving, seems like there's been an exponential rise in sensitive people and canon nerds, need good people to hang around to balance it out. maybe that explains it, I guess.

Haha. I like the avatar change then.

I know I'm a bit LTTP, but I've read all of the banter on you and EazyB, and I must say I agree with most of it.

Your rantings are harsh at times, but yet refreshing to read at the same time. It vocalizes partly how I feel, and sometimes it can go too far still. However, I love it all the same - just using discretion is the key here.

Regarding EazyB, he and I have disagreed, sure, but I feel we all have grown up since then (almost 2 years of life events have passed I think). I'm a fan of giving second chances, and I'd like to see him come back to the community. How does he feel about coming back though, anyone know? If he wants to, we can maybe all ask the mods very very nicely.

Recarpo

I posted this in the halo thread going on in the gaming forum but wanted to see what actual halo gaffers thought about the halo 2 melee system. I never see it get brought up in why people enjoyed halo 2, but I thought it was fantastic. Different damage for different movements, running/jumping, and the ability to avoid melees made cqc really fun and more interesting than 3 and reach. Why has something like that not carried through more of the series?

WEB-Warthog-Mark-Burnham.jpg
Anyone see any familiar faces in that crowd yet?

That is a General's vehicle, btw. And it's not paint...
:O

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One thing I was thinking about last night that I hope somehow is addressed in H4, plasma. In the books plasma destroys things all the time. Melts ship hulls, melts Marine armor, etc. In the games it looks like paintballs, and when fired looks like paintball shots.

I want to see plasma fuck shit up in Halo 4. I want to see a Marine get hit and it melt his armor down. That's one of the biggest disconnects with the books the games have had. Plasma in the games is more of a "bolt" and in the books is more of a viscous magma type concoction.

daedalius

One thing I was thinking about last night that I hope somehow is addressed in H4, plasma. In the books plasma destroys things all the time. Melts ship hulls, melts Marine armor, etc. In the games it looks like paintballs, and when fired looks like paintball shots.

I want to see plasma fuck shit up in Halo 4. I want to see a Marine get hit and it melt his armor down. That's one of the biggest disconnects with the books the games have had. Plasma in the games is more of a "bolt" and in the books is more of a viscous magma type concoction.

They should probably look like miniature suns, which is basically what they are supposed to be in terms of heat and energy.

It should leave surfaces it hits molten though, rather than just a black burn mark.

MW3 is my go to multiplayer game lately, :(

Cant explain why i can just zone out and play it to keep my hands busy while im watching stuff in the background. (90s Xmen cartoon currently)

kylej

Banned
Haha. I like the avatar change then.

I know I'm a bit LTTP, but I've read all of the banter on you and EazyB, and I must say I agree with most of it.

Your rantings are harsh at times, but yet refreshing to read at the same time. It vocalizes partly how I feel, and sometimes it can go too far still. However, I love it all the same - just using discretion is the key here.

Regarding EazyB, he and I have disagreed, sure, but I feel we all have grown up since then (almost 2 years of life events have passed I think). I'm a fan of giving second chances, and I'd like to see him come back to the community. How does he feel about coming back though, anyone know? If he wants to, we can maybe all ask the mods very very nicely.

We need more of you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Resurrecting the dead? Is such a thing possible?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I posted this in the halo thread going on in the gaming forum but wanted to see what actual halo gaffers thought about the halo 2 melee system. I never see it get brought up in why people enjoyed halo 2, but I thought it was fantastic. Different damage for different movements, running/jumping, and the ability to avoid melees made cqc really fun and more interesting than 3 and reach. Why has something like that not carried through more of the series?

Don't know why it never carried over. I do miss if though when it worked. Halo 2's melee system online was a mess quite often. Never quite knew if a melee was going to miss or not. With the advancements these days I would love complexity brought back. I don't like that the standard flag melee is one hit kill. Shit just sucks. Halo 2 system with flag melee was great.

heckfu

Banned
I know I'm way off topic here, but I just finished defending my doctoral thesis. And I'm super jazzed to be alive.

On a more normal note, who cares how people argue. If you've written off Kyle as an unrelenting asshole, put him on ignore and close your eyes to dissent.

If you think I'm a D slurping defender of 343, put me on ignore. The Internet isn't hard, y'all, everyone has an opinion and wants it to be known. If you get offended easily then get off a freaking mostly-anonymous message board.

In conclusion, I love you all.

Smooches and hearts,
(almost Dr.) Heckfu

Shit. Physic exam paper about physical optics and oscillating circuit. Wished me luck that I do not have to explain that stuff in full detail. Or that I just have to calculate. That would be a dream.

daedalius

Forward Unto Dawn Podcast Episode Five - Poo Monsters and War Games

Dave joins Ben, Dani and Issac to talk about War Games, poo monsters, the Forerunner crystals of Jurassic Park and Promethean midgets.

Link

Available as direct MP3 download, streaming, iTunes or Feedburner. (iTunes will be updated shortly)

I am most assuredly a big enough lore nerd to take part in this podcast if you ever need another seat.

I also have a dreamy voice, just ask Havok.

Recarpo

Don't know why it never carried over. I do miss if though when it worked. Halo 2's melee system online was a mess quite often. Never quite knew if a melee was going to miss or not. With the advancements these days I would love complexity brought back. I don't like that the standard flag melee is one hit kill. Shit just sucks. Halo 2 system with flag melee was great.

I know the netcode made it kind of a crapshoot, but like you said when it worked right it was real good. With the talk of silky smooth netcode for 4, I think it would be a great time to bring it back. If nothing else, just let me be able to do something to be able to get out of the way of a melee.

I think it could be more Dan Glass or Noam Murro, those who created the last Halo: Reach Live action, Deliver Hope.
He was joking.

I know I'm way off topic here, but I just finished defending my doctoral thesis. And I'm super jazzed to be alive.
<3. Congratulations!
Anyone who thinks you're a 343 pleaser is crazy. Similarly crazy are those who don't see some wisdom in kylej wrapped up in that prickly exterior.

Shit. Physic exam paper about physical optics and oscillating circuit. Wished me luck that I do not have to explain that stuff in full detail. Or that I just have to calculate. That would be a dream.
Roll in, do your stuff, roll out, look forward.

kylej

Banned

On a more normal note, who cares how people argue. If you've written off Kyle as an unrelenting asshole, put him on ignore and close your eyes to dissent.

If you think I'm a D slurping defender of 343, put me on ignore. The Internet isn't hard, y'all, everyone has an opinion and wants it to be known. If you get offended easily then get off a freaking mostly-anonymous message board.

Smooches and hearts,
(almost Dr.) Heckfu

Congratulations <3

Havok

I think a big part of how janky it could be was how the massive melee lunge could have you just straight up miss the target. It would be interesting to see how it performed with the toned down systems we have now (and the vastly improved netcode situation). I'm still a big advocate of that inertia system, it makes camping around corners way less effective than the current 2hko system.

Smooches and hearts,
(almost Dr.) Heckfu
I agree. I think this place is neat because nobody is afraid to speak their mind, we have a pretty direct line into the ears of authority, we have a giant diversity of opinions, and most people are generally pretty open to defending their views against opponents and admit when they're going a little too far. I've taken issue with the whole "you just have to have faith" thing, and been pretty vocal about it, but at the end of the day, it doesn't invalidate what anybody thinks on either side. People can sound harsh sometimes, but it's only because they're passionate.

(also, congratulations!)

That warthog does look a little like a life sized die-cast toy, but honestly that photo doesn't do it much justice. Also, chief looks a little off in terms of armor color/texture in the same way as the hog.. Once again though, the photo doesn't do it much justice.

That is a General's vehicle, btw. And it's not paint...

hmmmm

Slightly unrelated, I wonder what the odds of Nathan Fillion showing up as Buck in the live action series is.

Top Bottom