• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I wish people were happy when I make a post.
image.php

FyreWulff

Good post. I've always thought the ranked/social dichotomy that we had in 2 and 3 received too much criticism on GAF. It offered a simple choice on how seriously you wanted to take a particular session.

The problem with the split is that it forced smaller lists to make a decision: were they social (and have potentially more players, but come off as slightly more relaxed) or ranked (and have less players, and percieved as more serious)

It also has implications in-game and was demonstrated with the unranked -> ranked -> unranked Halo 2 SWAT playlist. When H2 SWAT debuted, everyone just played through the games, churn was high, it was all good. Then H2 SWAT was ranked. The number hanging over everyone's heads suddenly had a noticable change. When you now played games, people turtled hard, and when the games got near the end in time or points, people would hide and wait for someone to get bored and run out to try and get them.

The population eventually dried up to the point that H2 Ranked SWAT had to be deleted. It was reintroduced some months later as an unranked list and had a healthy population until Halo 2 was killed. And really, for Halo 2 the ranked/unranked was used more as the toggle for "no guests / guests". Halo 3 was the same way. Reach has guests/no guests as a completely separate flag they can apply.

And you can't just go making an unranked/ranked version of every list, because not all lists support doing that. It splits the potential population down a certain line, and could be fatal to what would have otherwise been a viable playlist. For example, an Arena or Ranked Objective would be dead within the first month, because you'd only get the more hardcore elements out of the existing TO list. There isn't tons of potential TO players out there waiting for a ranked list to show up and play.

edit: also it looks like I should finish Gears 3 before I get spoilt

that might get me back into forge. maybe i'll tweak truss and re-enter it. always thought it was a terrific objective map
Truss was a fine map, but you might be falling into the trap of constant revision. It is time to start something completely new.

There have been so many little tid bits of news over the past few weeks and with E3 so close, I think I'm just going to speed through them in HaloGAF Radio tomorrow. All the little screens and videos and clips will become irrelevant on Monday. Am I wrong in thinking this?
If you are going to release the next episode before Monday I say spend as much time on each as the discussion dictates. At the very least it will serve as hype and at worst it'll still be funny to go back on Tuesday and listen to how right/wrong/ncsuduncan people were.

ZalinKrow

I wish people were happy when I make a post. Feels bad man

I've never seen you make bad posts, if that helps? :) Once people are pretty easy going about stuff I can't complain, which you seem to be.

Also, a HaloGaf Radio this weekend would be awesome! Loved the first two and it'd be something to look forward to before Monday (which apparently isn't getting any closer!)

Xand

Neo Member
You are in no position to call him 'Gaz'!
Well not the same position you're in. I'm surprised you're that flexible.

Another post by Xand?
There's something wrong in the world!

EDIT and i suppose i should also congratule Gazz. Gratz.
2012 is the end of the world they say.

I wish people were happy when I make a post. Feels bad man
I could show you how happy I am to see you post, but I think I would get banned from gaf.

Well not the same position you're in. I'm surprised you're that flexible.
2012 is the end of the world they say.
I could show you how happy I am to see you post, but I think I would get banned from gaf.

Holy shit, 3 posts. What the hell is happening.

Every time I see disapproving Charmander my soul dies a little less quickly than it otherwise would.

Also: happy birthday Gazzaaaaaaawwwwwaaaaa. I like your weirdly-boobed avatar and your strange banter with the rest of notMuricahGAF.

If you are going to release the next episode before Monday I say spend as much time on each as the discussion dictates. At the very least it will serve as hype and at worst it'll still be funny to go back on Tuesday and listen to how right/wrong/ncsuduncan people were.

Might want to edit your post, you accidentally said "right" twice.

The problem with the split is that it forced smaller lists to make a decision: were they social (and have potentially more players, but come off as slightly more relaxed) or ranked (and have less players, and percieved as more serious)

It also has implications in-game and was demonstrated with the unranked -> ranked -> unranked Halo 2 SWAT playlist. When H2 SWAT debuted, everyone just played through the games, churn was high, it was all good. Then H2 SWAT was ranked. The number hanging over everyone's heads suddenly had a noticable change. When you now played games, people turtled hard, and when the games got near the end in time or points, people would hide and wait for someone to get bored and run out to try and get them.

The population eventually dried up to the point that H2 Ranked SWAT had to be deleted. It was reintroduced some months later as an unranked list and had a healthy population until Halo 2 was killed. And really, for Halo 2 the ranked/unranked was used more as the toggle for "no guests / guests". Halo 3 was the same way. Reach has guests/no guests as a completely separate flag they can apply.

And you can't just go making an unranked/ranked version of every list, because not all lists support doing that. It splits the potential population down a certain line, and could be fatal to what would have otherwise been a viable playlist. For example, an Arena or Ranked Objective would be dead within the first month, because you'd only get the more hardcore elements out of the existing TO list. There isn't tons of potential TO players out there waiting for a ranked list to show up and play.

edit: also it looks like I should finish Gears 3 before I get spoilt

That's the main issue with Gears matchmaking. There is a ranked and social split for each playlist, and so pretty much every ranked one except for TDM is dead.

neoism

just drop 60 bones on mp3 hope its... good. PC
Also is 4 really the start of the conference or is that just hopeing...

That's the main issue with Gears matchmaking. There is a ranked and social split for each playlist, and so pretty much every ranked one except for TDM is dead.

Every playlist has a Ranked/Social split...I'm gonna go count how many playlists they have and multiply times two.

But I do wanna say I like how social playlists have drop-in, drop-out and games flow into each other without being booted back to the main menu and starting the search all over again, while ranked playlists are the traditional matchmaking style(game starts with full, even teams, quitting has penalty, and after the game you're back in the lobby).

edit: THIRTY-THREE FUCKING PLAYLISTS! FOR LIKE...30-40K PEOPLE, TOPS

Woorloog

Banned
Charmander is happy now

I like it when people have happy/positive avatars. Affects how i perceive the contents of their posts (in positive way).

EDIT Is my avatar happy or not? It's kinda hard to read....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9QjARWd5a84/T3OXHJJbe1I/AAAAAAAAA34/OVtLNvwpMvI/s1600/nod-of-approval.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wondered what you were trying to convey with this until i noticed the filename. I suppose i'm weak at reading body language. Or .gifs.

Ryaaan14

Banned
DEFIANCE™ is the first multi-platform shooter MMO, that in a ground-breaking entertainment experience, interconnects with a global television program on Syfy. The game combines the intense action of a console third-person shooter, with the persistence, scale, and customization of an MMO, while its TV counterpart exudes the scope, story, and drama of a classic sci-fi epic.

Uhhh. So do I HAVE to watch the show? I don't even have Syfy I don't think. What is this.

Woorloog

Banned
It's time to stop catering to people who are too stubborn to get their own xbox.

Not being willing to pay for Xbox Live is perfectly reasonable, for Europeans Gold barely provides anything worth paying and for Americans Gold costs more (IIRC, wasn't XBG price raised a year and half back?).
Besides, ability to bring guests isn't there to allow people who don't want to get an Xbox to play, it is to allow people who have occasional guests to play (whether as guests or downloaded profiles).

That said, i say support for 3-4 players on same console should be dropped from Matchmaking, limit it to 2. With 3 or 4, the screens become way too small, the killfeed overlaps with reticle and the LOD is so close the game is incredibly ugly and it is difficult to navigate.

Top Bottom