• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Homeboyd

Must be 4 player split screen compatible?

Man there are going to be so many good maps submitted /sarcasm

It's time to stop catering to people who are too stubborn to get their own xbox.

Edit: Saw Homeboyd's post. Still, most people will see that, work hard on their maps and not submit it because it doesn't support 4 split screeners.
Caught your edit.

We know what the limitations are and understand how it will affect the entries. If we get some great maps that will only perform in 2 PL split, they can reduce the count. It's just not as easy as making that quick decision. No one is forcing anyone to participate. It is a free service with some great prizes. If people aren't interested in participating because they're not happy with the submission criteria (even with my explanation of our options), so be it. We already have quite a few entries.

Tunavi

Banned
dqa5km.jpg
gwAt7m.jpg

Hey You

Caught your edit.

We know what the limitations are and understand how it will affect the entries. If we get some great maps that will only perform in 2 PL split, they can reduce the count. It's just not as easy as making that quick decision. No one is forcing anyone to participate. It is a free service with some great prizes. If people aren't interested in participating because they're not happy with the submission criteria (even with my explanation of our options), so be it. We already have quite a few entries.

Yeah, I'm talking more from a Team Objective player standpoint. More maps in that playlist is a great thing, I'm extremely happy you guys are doing this. It's just I am/was disappointed that (at this time) 343 was/is keeping the split screen at 4.

Homeboyd

Yeah, I'm talking more from a Team Objective player standpoint. More maps in that playlist is a great thing, I'm extremely happy you guys are doing this. It's just I am/was disappointed that (at this time) 343 was/is keeping the split screen at 4.
Yeah I understand. Hopefully we can get a reduction if the entries warrant it... It just isn't our call as I'm sure you know. I'm sure if it was 343's contest, they could be a little more flexible with the criteria. We just can't speak for them or make requests like that on behalf of something we're doing.

senador

Banned
Desire to play Pokemon games rising. Damn you!

I'd actually like to hear Kyle on the podcast, not a joke segment, but like for real.

The problem with the split is that it forced smaller lists to make a decision: were they social (and have potentially more players, but come off as slightly more relaxed) or ranked (and have less players, and percieved as more serious)

It also has implications in-game and was demonstrated with the unranked -> ranked -> unranked Halo 2 SWAT playlist. When H2 SWAT debuted, everyone just played through the games, churn was high, it was all good. Then H2 SWAT was ranked. The number hanging over everyone's heads suddenly had a noticable change. When you now played games, people turtled hard, and when the games got near the end in time or points, people would hide and wait for someone to get bored and run out to try and get them.

The population eventually dried up to the point that H2 Ranked SWAT had to be deleted. It was reintroduced some months later as an unranked list and had a healthy population until Halo 2 was killed. And really, for Halo 2 the ranked/unranked was used more as the toggle for "no guests / guests". Halo 3 was the same way. Reach has guests/no guests as a completely separate flag they can apply.

And you can't just go making an unranked/ranked version of every list, because not all lists support doing that. It splits the potential population down a certain line, and could be fatal to what would have otherwise been a viable playlist. For example, an Arena or Ranked Objective would be dead within the first month, because you'd only get the more hardcore elements out of the existing TO list. There isn't tons of potential TO players out there waiting for a ranked list to show up and play.

edit: also it looks like I should finish Gears 3 before I get spoilt

I can appreciate your stance on this. I don't always enjoy the styles of play engendered by those overly pensive about losing a rank. I remember ranked SWAT in Halo 3; it played poorly. However I feel that's more to do with the gametype itself; SWAT tends to devolve into who sees who first, so that breeds a cautious approach and there're no additional variables like there are in a broader sandbox to dismantle locked setups. SWAT is better off as a social playlist.

I think there should always be ranked/social duplication in two playlists: Team Slayer and Lone Wolves. Team Slayer for a 'vanilla' ranked experience and Lone Wolves because there should always be the option to the solo player to reach a '50' or its equivalent without needing to rely on random players. Their social counterparts require no justification.

From here, common sense largely dictates the rest of the ranked/social setup. Obviously BTB should be social as should Action Sack, Living Dead and SWAT. In an ideal world objective would be ranked but the previous two games have shown it just isn't that popular (though a large portion of the blame for this goes to Bungie for not refining the settings enough/having flat out terrible gametypes). Objective is social.

MLG clearly belongs in a ranked playlist. Team Snipers does too.

Woorloog

Banned
Are you feeling okay today? *gobsmacked*

Gobsmacked? Learned a new word (if not meaning...) today. They say you learn something new every day.

I don't belive this can be Xand... Wait, isn't Xand in North America? And isn't there going on some sort zombie plague? Zombies have taken over Xand!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can appreciate your stance on this. I don't always enjoy the styles of play engendered by those overly pensive about losing a rank. I remember ranked SWAT in Halo 3; it played poorly. However I feel that's more to do with the gametype itself; SWAT tends to devolve into who sees who first, so that breeds a cautious approach and there're no additional variables like there are in a broader sandbox to dismantle locked setups. SWAT is better off as a social playlist.

I think there should always be ranked/social duplication in two playlists: Team Slayer and Lone Wolves. Team Slayer for a 'vanilla' ranked experience and Lone Wolves because there should always be the option to the solo player to reach a '50' or its equivalent without needing to rely on random players. Their social counterparts require no justification.

From here, common sense largely dictates the rest of the ranked/social setup. Obviously BTB should be social as should Action Sack, Living Dead and SWAT. In an ideal world objective would be ranked but the previous two games have shown it just isn't that popular (though a large portion of the blame for this goes to Bungie for not refining the settings enough/having flat out terrible gametypes). Objective is social.

MLG clearly belongs in a ranked playlist. Team Snipers does too.

Reasonable subjective opinion with one bolded wut.

Also playlists being seriously distilled soonish based on months of good learnings. Weeks away, however. Also and my last word on the matter - Reach numbers and ranking have stabilized and gradually crept up. We cannot make everyone happy but please appreciate the challenges and effort even if you personally are not content.

Gobsmacked? Learned a new word (if not meaning...) today. They say you learn something new every day.

I don't belive this can be Xand... Wait, isn't Xand in North America? And isn't there going on some sort zombie plague? Zombies have taken over Xand!

The only logical conclusion.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm going to try my hand at making an objective map to submit I think.

First I'll have to keep myself sober for a couple hours while I educate myself on how to actually make objectives work on a custom map. :_|

Woorloog

Banned
First I'll have to keep myself sober for a couple hours while I educate myself on how to actually make objectives work on a custom map. :_|

I had a good guide for this once. But i've lost the link, either lost lost it or just lost it among all the bookmarks, not sure.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Truss was a fine map, but you might be falling into the trap of constant revision. It is time to start something completely new.

thanks, surprised it was remembered. there was so much i like about it, that i cant let it go. but when i say tweak, i mean start from scratch keeping things i felt worked and rethinking much of it.

Xand

Neo Member
You're about as white as they come and you know it.

He's either white or he looks like Carlton. :p

See, I post a few times in one day, and now I become a white zombie who looks like Carlton. Feels bad man...
At least I still like white women.

heckfu

Banned
See, I post a few times in one day, and now I become a white zombie who looks like Carlton. Feels bad man...

Speaking of white Carlton, if Tashi and co. ever need a special guest I do a hell of a Bill Cosby.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I had a good guide for this once. But i've lost the link, either lost lost it or just lost it among all the bookmarks, not sure.

If you find it, shoot me a PM. Although I'll probably just find some shitty one on YouTube and fill in the gaps by loading up maps already equipped with working objective points.

Damn Reach Forge, I love you so much but Y U NO MAKE EASY OBJECTIVES LIKE HALO 3.

FyreWulff

Reasonable subjective opinion with one bolded wut.

Also playlists being seriously distilled soonish based on months of good learnings. Weeks away, however. Also and my last word on the matter - Reach numbers and ranking have stabilized and gradually crept up. We cannot make everyone happy but please appreciate the challenges and effort even if you personally are not content.

Reach (I assume you're talking about Reach) being streamlined eventually sounds good. Is there any hope of Halo 3 being distilled within our lifetimes, or should we start barking up other trees?

Because people are starting to consistently get this in 3 now:

koBJxl.jpg

Woorloog

Banned

Don't worry man, HaloGAF is inclusive group, we have a place for white zombie Carlton.

Wouldn't "white zombie Carlton" make a great gamertag, by the way?

If you find it, shoot me a PM. Although I'll probably just find some shitty one on YouTube and fill in the gaps by loading up maps already equipped with working objective points.

Eh, it is lost lost. Too bad, i was going to try to make a map too... Ah, well, gotta google something.

Reach (I assume you're talking about Reach) being streamlined eventually sounds good. Is there any hope of Halo 3 being distilled within our lifetimes, or should we start barking up other trees?

koBJxl.jpg

Yeah both need some consolidation badly. I'd like to play Halo 3 more but Social Slayer is the only thing I can ever find a match in.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

koBJxl.jpg
yup.

Computron

koBJxl.jpg

Never seen that before.

Top Bottom