• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a super hard question to answer, but I think it comes down to this: If you decide that something needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed across the board, be confident in changes or don't bother. I don't mean to say there should be one playlist where every game plays the same, but the game should at least be consistent with itself with regard to very basic settings and behavior (which is not the case with player movement, weapon behavior, all that jazz in Reach). I mean, the only reason vanilla Reach still exists is because either the game mode would be fully broken with it (Invasion) or because they promised that vanilla fans would be able to play it forever.
I always looked at the other gametypes as alternates, not 'fixes'. But I guess you're saying that Bungie should've considered them as fixes and thus consolidated those changes across the board? Sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Maybe another iteration on matchmaking that makes it a hybrid of its current hopper system and a custom game browser is what console gaming needs.

Havok

I always looked at the other gametypes as alternates, not 'fixes'. But I guess you're saying that Bungie should've considered them as fixes and thus consolidated those changes across the board? Sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Maybe another iteration on matchmaking that makes it a hybrid of its current hopper system and a custom game browser is what console gaming needs.
I think many of the TU changes should be considered fixes, just as any other multiplayer game has balance patches that are non-optional. At that point, it was out of Bungie's hands and in the hands of the people who were so excited to bring these changes about, so other than placating people who were up in arms about it, why not show ultimate confidence in your changes? But the real issue is that having the changes be inconsistent in where they exist within the game just makes the process of choosing what to play muddled. I want to play DLC, but there's no way I'm going to sit through vanilla settings to do so, so the dedicated DLC playlist is out of the question, and if I'm not willing to play Anniversary settings, it's even more of a crapshoot. I won't argue specifics of TU stuff because that could go on all day, just that consistency is a good thing (even if it does make some very hard questions pop up). Without data to look at like they do, those questions become even harder (or maybe easier, who knows). I'd like to look at data. Hire Havok.

Well just the first season of Spartan Ops is free (not really free just included in the cost of the game as their co-op mode). You can bet your life that any further seasons will be paid DLC, alongside War Games DLC always being paid DLC.
I'm more than willing to pay for future Spartan Ops if it turns out to be worthwhile, but I'd still love any revenue model that allowed map packs to be free. Charging for that content in particular is one of the most narrow-minded and backwards trends to happen this generation. You split communities, groups of friends, and playlists, all while reducing the value of the core game.

I've always advocated charging for cosmetic stuff or additional campaign or co-op content to subsidize free map packs across the board, and I'd still like to see that happen. I know thats not up to the 343 guys, but I'll continue to want for it, and it would still be a plus for gaming as a whole.

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm exhausted, but I found this to be unexpectedly hilarious.

I'm more than willing to pay for future Spartan Ops if it turns out to be worthwhile, but I'd still love any revenue model that allowed map packs to be free. Charging for that content in particular is one of the most narrow-minded and backwards trends to happen this generation. You split communities, groups of friends, and playlists, all while reducing the value of the core game.

I've always advocated charging for cosmetic stuff or additional campaign or co-op content to subsidize free map packs across the board, and I'd still like to see that happen. I know thats not up to the 343 guys, but I'll continue to want for it, and it would still be a plus for gaming as a whole.

I'm on board for anything that makes competitive multiplayer maps free, but I just don't see it happening.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just read the bulletin. So spectator mode is out, forge isn't a "world creator", and the possibility of playing as something other than spartans was hinted at?

I'm on board for anything that makes competitive multiplayer maps free, but I just don't see it happening.
What a contradiction this generation is. Everybody's trying to widen the audience and get the non-hardcore to "jump in" all the while throwing up barriers and pay-gates at every turn. Makes me miss the old PC gaming days.

GhaleonEB

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm exhausted, but I found this to be unexpectedly hilarious.

I misread the title of the video as "Jurassic Park Theme Song (Metallica Cover)", and was waiting for the guitars to kick in. You can imagine my surprise. :lol

What a contradiction this generation is. Everybody's trying to widen the audience and get the non-hardcore to "jump in" all the while throwing up barriers and pay-gates at every turn. Makes me miss the old PC gaming days.

Very true.

I misread the title of the video as "Jurassic Park Theme Song (Metallica Cover)", and was waiting for the guitars to kick in. You can imagine my surprise. :lol

A few hours on the sabbatical and your mind has already gone to shit. :p

I was just playing with some dudes in BTB who were seriously saying armor lock is one of the best additions to Halo ever. Apparently it adds a layer of depth and tactics to the combat that Halo has never had before. This was coming from guys who all had ranks < 20 in Halo 3, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Doodis

This. I think EA/Bioware has been smart about the Mass Effect 3 DLC. All maps are free to download, but weapons and upgrades are either earned or can be purchased.

I'm getting seriously tired of purchasing every Halo map pack (which I have) but not playing hardly any of them because all my cheapskate buddies didn't buy them.

This. I think EA/Bioware has been smart about the Mass Effect 3 DLC. All maps are free to download, but weapons and upgrades are either earned or can be purchased.

I'm getting seriously tired of purchasing every Halo map pack (which I have) but not playing hardly any of them because all my cheapskate buddies didn't buy them.

Or anyone else.

They should just admit that default Reach staying around was a wild dream they had. The game would be better off with the TU going global. There's two non-fringe playlists that are vanilla now. It's insulting. As a vanilla fanboy, there's just no point anymore. Team Slayer is too boring and Squad DLC has a shit population. TU. Global. Noaw. It's more annoying that vanilla has been dragged on on life support than if they had just thrown the switch completely on the TU.
Fuck that. Apply the TU only where necessary, i.e. Anniversary & MLG. Everything else back to 1.0. Delete Super Slayer and bring back Squad Slayer.

Team Slayer has been the most popular list for a while now. I still play it every day. Now let's speak no more about this TU unpleasantness.

Hey You

Either dont buy them or make some more friends.

Making these maps isn't a free endeavor. Costs time,money and resources.

Fuck that. Apply the TU only only where necessary, i.e. Anniversary & MLG. Everything else back to 1.0. Delete Super Slayer and bring back Squad Slayer.

Team Slayer has been the most popular list for a while now. I still play it every day. Now let's speak no more about this TU unpleasantness.

Squad Slayer was TU.

Team Slayer is popular because it's called Team Slayer and it's the first playlist listed in matchmaking. If you made Team Slayer TU, the population would probably stay exactly the same.

Also, it's not the most popular playlist, Living Dead is.

P.S.: Your opinions in this post made me vomit, so now you have that on your conscious.

Either dont buy them or make some more friends.

Making more friends doesn't matter. The adaption rate of DLC is very very low, hence their nonexistence in matchmaking.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, if spartan ops takes place 6 months after the halo 4 campaign, should the campaign be completed before playing spartan ops to avoid spoilers?

Tawpgun

Fuck that. Apply the TU only only where necessary, i.e. Anniversary & MLG. Everything else back to 1.0. Delete Super Slayer and bring back Squad Slayer.

Fuck that. TU Everywhere.

so, if spartan ops takes place 6 months after the halo 4 campaign, should the campaign be completed before playing spartan ops to avoid spoilers?
Yep, campaign first. I believe Frankie mentioned in a few of those interviews that it would have some pretty major story spoilers.

TheOddOne

Will there be Spectator Mode in Halo 4? –CyReN CE

There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.
tumblr_m4b2m8MddH1rrbkg9o9_250.gif

So about Spartan Ops and Spoilers, the verge reported this:
Set six months after the events of Halo 4, there will be some spoilers — at least "one big spoiler," in fact, for the main campaign (we'll try not ruin that for you justyet). If you "miss" an episode, it'll still be available to play for the foreseeable future — good thing, since co-op or solo, Spartan Ops' campaign must be played in order.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/7/3069091/halo-4-multiplayer-war-games-e3/in/2837947

Squad Slayer was TU.

Team Slayer is popular because it's called Team Slayer and it's the first playlist listed in matchmaking. If you made Team Slayer TU, the population would probably stay exactly the same.

Also, it's not the most popular playlist, Living Dead is.

P.S.: Your opinions in this post made me vomit, so now you have that on your conscious.

Making more friends doesn't matter. The adaption rate of DLC is very very low, hence their nonexistence in matchmaking.

Yeah I never get DLC maps anymore. Only time I really played them was in the Noble and Defiant playlists. I like the idea someone had a while back about releasing maps for free having a paid version that is the only way to get cheevos.

HEYOOOOOO.

But srsly. You gotta leave good content for the other games. Tie up the story well with good encounters and no padding (corridors/gauntlets) in 8 hours and I'll be a happy camper.

Leave content? No, put it all the table for each game.

You haven't gotten an 8 hour Halo campaign since Halo 2. I'm not asking for a 15-20 hour game (although you can make a game that long that's not "padded"). I'd be okay with 8 to 10 hours, I'd really like a solid 10-12.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Leave content? No, put it all the table for each game.

You haven't gotten an 8 hour Halo campaign since Halo 2. I'm not asking for a 15-20 hour game (although you can make a game that long that's not "padded"). I'd be okay with 8 to 10 hours.
If you finish any Halo game besides ODST in less than 8 hours, that's why they have Legendary + skulls. Asking for so much pure story isn't unrealistic of games, but certainly is for Halo. Would I enjoy it? Of course. But I doubt it is a safe expectation.

If you finish any Halo game besides ODST in less than 8 hours, that's why they have Legendary + skulls. Asking for so much pure story isn't unrealistic of games, but certainly is for Halo. Would I enjoy it? Of course. But I doubt it is a safe expectation.

I find Halo 3 and Reach to both being about 6 hour games on Heroic solo for a competent player, and I don't feel that's rushing through the game at all. I feel that Halo 2 is few hours longer than both those games, and has a script that is literally thousands of times better. Is that unreasonable to expect a game of the scope of Halo 2?

inb4 Good Enough

I don't think anybody disputes that - but is the cost worth paying to have a whole community engaged in your game for years while periodically giving new players a reason to jump in? I'd argue that its a marketing and maintenance cost for the system's flagship franchise. And even if not, how about alternate revenue streams to cover those costs? Like say, cosmetic and customization DLC and extra co-op missions? We're already paying Microsoft for the privilege of online multiplayer, let's not forget that very cogent fact.

Why is Spartan Ops season one free to all? Is that a cost they see as necessary?

I wanna know that spoiler. =/
Master Chief + Embodied Cortana love child.

I find Halo 3 and Reach to both being about 6 hour games on Heroic solo for a competent player, and I don't feel that's rushing through the game at all. I feel that Halo 2 is few hours longer than both those games, and has a script that is literally thousands of times better. Is that unreasonable to expect a game of the scope of Halo 2?
I'm definitely willing to forgo length for variety and replayability, but all of the above is preferred.

/she-said

Ryaaan14

Banned

inb4 Good Enough
You can't ignore Spartan Ops content either. I'd say a Halo 2 length campaign plus weekly episodic content that last approximately 1 hour each...might be a bit a bit of an ambitious expectation.

But hey, I hope you're right lol. I just can't possibly set my expectations there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom