• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

New Bulletin

image.axd

CyReN

Will there be Spectator Mode in Halo 4? –CyReN CE

There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.

neoism

Will the medals remain as they are now, or will they be changed to the original Halo medal color style? –TBearrr

All UI elements are early complete, but undergoing final passes on art and design. Expect the game to look somewhat like the E3 build, but don’t be surprised by alterations and tweaks.

if so weakest medals in the series... :/ should have just used Reach's....

frankie give use one finshied HD res medal please....

Yeah, the medals look really weak right now, almost inverted and low res. I am used to glancing at them and seeing familiar colors to identify em, why change that of all things? Plus, Reach had some fantastic medal art.

There will be some changes to post-death camera, but full spectator mode is a bandwidth hog that we would not introduce into a competitive arena.

Well, at least you know they probably tried at some point. Limitations of looking fantastic on 7 year old hardware I suppose, but at least next gen should be around the corner.

neoism

How limited is the Limited Edition? –Guywired

We are producing significantly less copies of the Halo 4 LE than previous Halo releases. So, a small percentage of total manufactured units.
cool.....

lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Dreamcrusher

CyReN

Yeah, the medals look really weak right now, almost inverted and low res. I am used to glancing at them and seeing familiar colors to identify em, why change that of all things? Plus, Reach had some fantastic medal art.

Well, at least you know they probably tried at some point. Limitations of looking fantastic on 7 year old hardware I suppose, but at least next gen should be around the corner.

Yea, it kinda sucks but at least we know instead of finding out on release night.

Will there be a place for people who prefer a more stripped-down type of Halo game in Matchmaking at launch? –Overdoz1z

Yes. And Halo 4 Matchmaking modes will be more streamlined.

Thank you, Over/343

SnP4n.gif

It’s important to the plot that we not actually give this way. It would be equally important from either side of that coin. So I will say that Sgt. Johnson, while sexy and epic, will NOT be back. But our story will extend beyond the events of Halo 4, so we have to be careful how we frame this.

Hoping to see the Arbiter again.

It's important for designers to understand how their game plays at all levels of the skill distribution, but especially for those that fall within plus or minus two standard deviations (the majority of players). Those at the far right of the distribution will argue that their opinions matter most, because if you design a game for them, the game will be fun for everyone else. This may or may not be true.
Late to the party but has this ever been true? Any examples that took the higher-end player skill criticisms to heart in the design and still garnered lasting mainstream appeal while providing a fun time for new and low-skill players?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just played Reach for the first time in almost a month and wow this game is a pile of shit. Like no hyperbole what in fuck am I playing.

Negatives:

Heavies BTB - The Scoring doesn't make sense, it said I had 26, at the end of the game I had 17 kills. Get rid of this shit.

Pinnacle - This map literally has 3 go to locations, if you aren't at those locations you're either grabbing a power weapon or working your way to those 3 locations which are:
  • Small Tower
  • Big Tower
  • Banshee Pad

This map is uncouth swamp waste.

My Teammates Why am I getting matched up with people that don't move? I thought my trueskill was supposed to keep these assholes off my team. Clearly it doesn't.

Connection Why:

Is this still laggy?
Switch Connections midgame, can't it pick this shit before the game starts?
Matching me outside of my country or all the way across my country(fuck off Cali!)

Melees in more than one game my second punch did not connect. GG hitscan/packets/network variables/ping/nerd shit.

Team Slayer/Super Slayer: Dump one of them already. Go consistent across all playlist.

Positives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB8TfkdVUTw

so maed rite now

I may be on in a few if you want to try MLG. If you like slayer I would do Super Slayer or Team Snipers personally.

-----

Before it goes on, everyone should be able to voice what they want in Halo 4, no need to tell another community what they can and can't say. That's why Halo is special to me, it's a great mixing pot of different communities through one game.

lol on break right now a friend of mine want me to play another game with her.

We already know Elites are not in, which means no Invasion as we know it in Halo 4. Have you considered releasing a game type (both at launch and after launch) which relied on some of the aspects which made Invasion great? –Gabotron ES

Elites are in Campaign. Elites are not playable MP types. We will, however, add some interesting variety to MP which will scratch that itch.

Very interesting update. Good stuff in there to mull over; I'm liking everything I'm hearing about Spartan Ops so far. And dear god, the forge tease...

Tawpgun

Late to the party but has this ever been true? Any examples that took the higher-end player skill criticisms to heart in the design and still garnered lasting mainstream appeal while providing a fun time for new and low-skill players?

If you think about it.

Core game = good.

Core game with balanced AA's, other weapons etc. = good.

Kajiba

Nice bulletin. Was that Buck(nathan) who was with kiki in that photo? Cant really tell.

Edit: yeah its nathan. Just realize the web link had his name in it.

If you think about it.

Core game = good.

Core game with balanced AA's, other weapons etc. = good.
Sounds good on paper. Just wondering if there were popular real world examples.

I like asymmetry, wild and fun powers and some randomness in what multiplayer versus I've done, but from what I've read from the competitive crowd a lot of what I enjoy would be removed in the interest of exacting fair play. I'm all for fair play and balanced items/skills/weapons/etc but it also has to be approachable and fun. Halo 3 seemed pretty balanced to me, but equipment needed an overhaul, so I ended up having a lot more fun in Reach, but that was mostly because of the jetpack ;P

Bulletin said:
Elites are in Campaign. Elites are not playable MP types. We will, however, add some interesting variety to MP which will scratch that itch.
Very curious about this.

Ryaaan14

Banned
We already know Elites are not in, which means no Invasion as we know it in Halo 4. Have you considered releasing a game type (both at launch and after launch) which relied on some of the aspects which made Invasion great? –Gabotron ES

Very interesting update. Good stuff in there to mull over; I'm liking everything I'm hearing about Spartan Ops so far. And dear god, the forge tease...
Makes you wonder if the "interesting variety" is equivalent gametypes to Invasion, or a new MP playable race.

I mean, people point to CE, but it's not like it's a hard and fast rule one way or the other. I think ultimately whether a game is fun for a wide swath of players of varying skill goes beyond the degree to which individual ability is reflected in gameplay. That is something that must be weighed and balanced on its own. But certainly, that aspect is more appealing to the best players.

RIP real map editor. Good Enough!
Who's getting on for Far Cry 2?

Tawpgun

Sounds good on paper. Just wondering if there were popular real world examples.

I like asymmetry, wild and fun powers and some randomness in what multiplayer versus I've done, but from what I've read from the competitive crowd a lot of what I enjoy would be removed in the interest of exacting fair play. I'm all for fair play and balanced items/skills/weapons/etc but it also has to be approachable and fun.

That's fine. I like that stuff too from time to time. Great pallete cleanser.

But if you can make the core game fun, fair, competetive, and consistent, then you can add whatever randomness and crazy shit on top of it.

CyReN

The fuck is RTX?

http://rtxevent.com/home.php

And with that, Frankie is out. As am I. Oh wait, one last thing: just in case you were wondering when the next opportunity is going to be to get your hands on Halo 4, that would be an upcoming conference in its second year, hosted by a company whose name rhymes with Schmooster Schmeeth.

Now if you’ll excuse you, RTX - I mean work - is calling. I’ll meet you back here, same time, same place, next week. Until then…

GhaleonEB

Will there be a place for people who prefer a more stripped-down type of Halo game in Matchmaking at launch? –Overdoz1z

Yes. And Halo 4 Matchmaking modes will be more streamlined.

Thank you, Over/343

SnP4n.gif

Bulletin said:
Is Infinity Slayer a replacement for normal Slayer? –pedrocs21

No. Infinity Slayer is an added, but vital mode.

We know we'll have Infinity Slayer, the second question implies regular Halo 4 Slayer, and the first question implies a "stripped-down" playlist at launch (also likely Slayer). While also making the playlists more streamlined. Curious to see the rest of the game types; so far we've just seen Slayer variants.

Fuchsdh

I mean, people point to CE, but it's not like it's a hard and fast rule one way or the other. I think ultimately whether a game is fun for a wide swath of players of varying skill goes beyond the degree to which individual ability is reflected in gameplay. That is something that must be weighed and balanced on its own. But certainly, that aspect is more appealing to the best players.

Who's getting on for Far Cry 2?

I don't think there's *any* game that has been specifically designed for pros. The closest example I can think of is SCII--produced with the full intention of replacing StarCraft Brood War on the tournament scene, and it's still getting flak for not being as competetive as the original. The drastic drop in rankings of some Brood War players after migrating to SCII is considered evidence of this.

Mostly I think a lot of the "easiness" of SCII comes from no longer having to micro your units to an insane degree because pathfinding is no longer horrible. I don't think being better at a 1997 game makes it more pro. So the parallels to Halo are somewhat weak, but StarCraft is a *much* bigger competitive game, and even there Blizzard didn't cater to their every whim.

Is the game fun? Hell yeah. And there's still amazing play going on by pro players. So I don't think it's ever a matter of "this game isn't good because they listened {too much/too little} to the pros."

GhaleonEB

You and 500 other people that can't get a decent match with such a tiny population.

Somehow this sounds familiar.

I suspect Infinity Slayer will be booming. Full set of armor abilities and perks, with kill streaks personal ordinance drops. Moths to a flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom