• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squad Slayer was TU.

Team Slayer is popular because it's called Team Slayer and it's the first playlist listed in matchmaking. If you made Team Slayer TU, the population would probably stay exactly the same.

Also, it's not the most popular playlist, Living Dead is.

P.S.: Your opinions in this post made me vomit, so now you have that on your conscious.

Making more friends doesn't matter. The adaption rate of DLC is very very low, hence their nonexistence in matchmaking.
Squad Slayer was Bungie's baby, a haven away from Armor Lock, well before the awful TU gametype.

Living Dead had been consistently behind TS for weeks now. Even BTB has been out-populating it.

And *chuckle* at "adaption" rate. I was searching both alone and with 1 other friend in TS last night and played quite a bit of DLC.

CyReN

tumblr_m4b2m8MddH1rrbkg9o9_250.gif

Only thing to cheer me up.

Somewhat of a blow to the community, we can only hope for maybe something like Gears 3 post-patch but that seems far fetched.

Tawpgun

Squad Slayer was Bungie's baby, a haven away from Armor Lock, well before the awful TU gametype.

Living Dead had been consistently behind TS for weeks now. Even BTB has been out-populating it.

And *chuckle* at "adaption" rate. I was searching both alone and with 1 other friend in TS last night and played quite a bit of DLC.

Bleedthrough was removed.

What's your issue with the TU now? Do you really prefer 100% bloom over 85?

Ryaaan14

Banned
My hope is it won't be doled out until late in the season, so even if you wanted to find out, it's going to be a month+ before that content gets released.
Oh snap. Didn't even think about that. So you don't think the standard campaign will reveal the story, and Spops just provide the "ODST" behind the scenes tale?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Played about 7 games spanning BTB, Rumble Pit, TS and Super Slayer. Did not get 1 dlc map to vote for. Just saying.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My hope is it won't be doled out until late in the season, so even if you wanted to find out, it's going to be a month+ before that content gets released.

Yeah, I'm sure they will be careful about the spoiler, unless it's something they can't easily dance around.

Then again, it takes a strange kind of person to hop into Spartan Ops first, before Campaign. The best, fresh co-op experience on day one will be the Camapign, only nerf-herders will migrate to Spops first to get their co-op fix I bet.

Bleedthrough was removed.

What's your issue with the TU now? Do you really prefer 100% bloom over 85?
Yes. The balance of the weapon sandbox is negatively impacted by the change. Sword behaves strangely, I prefer having the block, even if latency interferes with its operation. The only changes in the TU I don't take issue with are the AC/AL nerfs, but I'd rather just play without those abilities (Squad Slayer).

Fracas

#fuckonami
Apparently there are a bunch of sites devoted to proving that Reach's plot is false and is not canon. Kind of interesting.

The amount of people that have DLC is extremely low, that's just the reality of the situation. Can you blame them, I don't think I've gotten moneys worth out of Noble or Defiant, they are not in matchmaking.

Congrats on getting the absurdly rare DLC in matchmaking, can the rest of us get that? Ever?

Just as an example Noble has been out for about 19 months. I've played Anchor 9 15 times in 19 months outside of a DLC locked playlist. The last time I've played Anchor 9 in matchmaking was November of last year, 7 months ago.

DLC comes up all the time though!

I'm part of the problem. I refused to purchase Reach DLC, because I wasn't happy with the vanilla maps. And they are still full price.

Nor should you, there is no reward of having the maps.

I don't feel as though it'll get any better what with the first 3 map packs for H4 being 3 maps a pack.

Yeah 3 maps per pack is pretty bad, especially in Halo because you have a divide in BTB and 4v4 maps, and not everyone played both commonly. I know several people that didn't buy Noble because they have no interest in BTB, so they saw the Noble pack as $10 for Anchor 9. 5 maps per pack would help get rid of this issue.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't feel as though it'll get any better what with the first 3 map packs for H4 being 3 maps a pack.
I do. I was chomping at the bit the get Halo 3's first 3 map DLC. As well as the rest of them. Because they were good, and so were the vanilla maps.

Tawpgun

Yes. The balance of the weapon sandbox is negatively impacted by the change. Sword behaves strangely, I prefer having the block, even if latency interferes with its operation. The only changes in the TU I don't take issue with are the AC/AL nerfs, but I'd rather just play without those abilities (Squad Slayer).

Do you remember 343's reasoning against bloom?

It essentially came down to,

It was good on paper, but in practice it ended up in very sloppy gameplay. What ended up happening is spammers win at close range. Pacers win from afar, but in the middle its a COMPLETE gamble, which leads to very frustrating encounters.

85 percent bloom rewards pacing from afar, but it reduces max bloom and makes the pacing faster. I know I'm not the only one that thinks 100% was painfully slow and only worsened the ability of people escaping from firefights, and slowed kill times to a crawl.

85 was the perfect compromise. An AR will beat a DMR at super close range given good aim. It's a lot harder to aim a DMR at such a range. It's got a good balance between the Easy to use/tons of aim assist/auto aim AR vs. the more skill based, but higher potential for damage DMR.

For TU AR starts, the pistol was brought up a nudge, and rewards players for good aim rather than spraying their AR. But they're more or less evenly matched. DMR pickups become more valuable.

In DMR Starts... well its precision weapon starts, so automatic weapons are irrelevant anyway, so why cry about the sandbox here?

Aside from AA's and player mobility, 85% Reach is really, really nice.

The amount of people that have DLC is extremely low, that's just the reality of the situation. Can you blame them, I don't think I've gotten moneys worth out of Noble or Defiant, they are not in matchmaking.

Congrats on getting the absurdly rare DLC in matchmaking, can the rest of us get that? Ever?

Just as an example Noble has been out for about 19 months. I've played Anchor 9 15 times in 19 months outside of a DLC locked playlist. The last time I've played Anchor 9 in matchmaking was November of last year, 7 months ago.

DLC comes up all the time though!

Nor should you, there is no reward of having the maps.

Yeah 3 maps per pack is pretty bad, especially in Halo because you have a divide in BTB and 4v4 maps, and not everyone played both commonly. I know several people that didn't buy Noble because they have no interest in BTB, so they saw the Noble pack as $10 for Anchor 9. 5 maps per pack would help get rid of this issue.
Never really thought about what a waste the Reach DLC ended up being.

Goddamn.

TheOddOne

Should have been armor DLC for Reach. I'd buy it.
As much as I rag about that these stuff should be free, I would not mind that 343i would offer helmets Team Fortress style. You can buy it new helmets whenever, but you can unlock them for free through playing (of course you have to grind hard).

Ryaaan14

Banned
As much as I rag about that these stuff should be free, I would not mind that 343i would offer helmets Team Fortress style. You can buy it new helmets whenever, but you can unlock them for free through playing (of course you have to grind hard).
As much as the F2P business model infuriates me, I'm all for this. Mostly because I still don't have my desired Reach armor because I don't like the game enough to farm credits.

The hardcore would fucking hate this though. They wouldn't get to wear their trophies anymore.

TheOddOne

As much as the F2P business model infuriates me, I'm all for this. Mostly because I still don't have my desired Reach armor because I don't like the game enough to farm credits.

The hardcore would fucking hate this though. They wouldn't get to wear their trophies anymore.
The base shipping helmets should be exclusive and not offered through the marketplace. However new stuff could be locked away behind that system.

wwm0nkey

The base shipping helmets should be exclusive and not offered through the marketplace. However new stuff could be locked away behind that system.

I am all for this. Just do HUGE additions to the armor section for time to time and have people either grind for it or pay for it. Would make them A LOT of money.

Ryaaan14

Banned

I see. But would new stuff be obtainable by XP? If not, you're simply suggesting what Reach did except for adding exclusive purchasable armor.

TheOddOne

I see. But would new stuff be obtainable by XP? If not, you're simply suggesting what Reach did except for adding exclusive purchasable armor.
I don't see the normal "grind to certain level" design working in this system. To unlock it for free, it will be totally randomly locked behind something like jackpots, number of games played (but it isn't guaranteed that you will get it) and even walkthroughs of random campaign or Spartan Ops missions. Key is that you won’t find or get them easy.

Luckily in this case the hardcore whiners are just being petty and have nothing to fall back on other than "omg I earned this through all this hard work." Who gives a fuck they're pixels. "Hardcore"/Arena players in WoW pulled this shit all of the time. It was the one time I thought people really into the game could take their entitlement and shove it up their own ass.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Luckily in this case the hardcore whiners are just being petty and have nothing to fall back on other than "omg I earned this through all this hard work." Who gives a fuck they're pixels. "Hardcore"/Arena players in WoW pulled this shit all of the time. It was the one time I thought people really into the game could take their entitlement and shove it up their own ass.

But it happens to this day. Shit, they're still speculating on what visual attributes Blizz is going to add to MoP Heroic gear for these same reasons. Yeah of course it is pixels, buts devs know that so many people give a shit, that they refuse to let it go.

But it happens to this day. Shit, they're still speculating on what visual attributes Blizz is going to add to MoP Heroic gear for these same reasons. Yeah of course it is pixels, buts devs know that so many people give a shit, that they refuse to let it go.

True enough.

Aaaaaand I'm back! Sorry that I dropped out of the games FrankliFracas. My internet went down and tonight turned into an exciting lesson in modem/router repair.

GG's to neoism, neoism's awkward cousin, Monsterfracas, Franklinatornaut, Big Deezy, and Big Deezy's dad.

Playing halo 3 LAN party now but gonna slit my wrists at the forge news.

I'm pretty bummed it's not gonna be a full-blown map creator, but I have hope that it'll still be a pretty nice map editor. As long as there is a copy/paste feature, I'll be as happy as can be.

Can anyone refresh me with what halo 4 has actually added besides an updated engine with better graphics n a new weapon suite? I can't really think of anything at the mome

Personally you have to spoil a big question at the beginning. Does the Chief survive? Where is the Chief? Why is he not on the Infinity?

Can anyone refresh me with what halo 4 has actually added besides an updated engine with better graphics n a new weapon suite? I can't really think of anything at the mome
Spartan-Ops. Weekly episodic-story driven Co-Op missions. If they can pull it, it is something new in Gaming.(Or I cannot remember anything similar in Gaming.)

We already know Elites are not in, which
means no Invasion as we know it in Halo 4.
Have you considered releasing a game type
(both at launch and after launch) which
relied on some of the aspects which made
Invasion great? –Gabotron ES E

lites are in Campaign. Elites are not
playable MP types. We will, however, add
some interesting variety to MP which will
scratch that itch.
Niiice, that got me really hyped.

Can't wait to see what have they done :D

Thanks to Fyre for posting it for me.

I love Assassin's Creed but I couldn't get into ACR. I don't know what it was, just felt off to me. Maybe I need to give it another go or something.

I thought it was better than Brotherhood. Gameplaywise, storywise, musicwise, even the setting was more interesting than Brotherhood.

Really? I felt that Revolution took major steps back compared to Brotherhood in every mechanic.

Everything was the same except for the hookblade and the Eagle Sense, both of which were improvements, imo. It didn't take any great steps forwards, but it was better than Brotherhood.

I haven't seen this posted.....
Q. Are we going to be seeing any enemies other than the ones shown in the E3 Stage Demo? –Negative 9

A. The new enemy class has been unveiled, but we haven’t revealed all of the enemy types yet, or the ancient evil...

... The Timeless one? Until now I'd considered 'the/an ancient evil' to refer to a species, not a single character. After E3 I made the assumption it was the Prometheans/The Didact... It still could be the Didact, couldn't it?

scently

I haven't seen this posted.....

... The Timeless one? Until now I'd considered 'the/an ancient evil' to refer to a species, not a single character. After E3 I made the assumption it was the Prometheans/The Didact... It still could be the Didact, couldn't it?

I personally think that the whole association of the ancient evil with the Didact is a big red herring. I think it's the Timeless One or a new variant of it, maybe not in the manner or shape that he appeared it the books. From his statement it seems that the Precursor do not or might not have a definite definable shape, structure or feature.

OP but what of that other ship that landed on Halo that was in Halo: CEA terminals?

TheOddOne

Everything was the same except for the hookblade and the Eagle Sense, both of which were improvements, imo. It didn't take any great steps forwards, but it was better than Brotherhood.
The hookblade was an improvement, I’ll give you that. However the other new introduced mechanics: tower defense and bomb cooking, were both underdeveloped and unnecessary to the game. The game also undermined one of the better things introduced to the series, the recruitment of Assassins and their faction building.

The hookblade was an improvement, I’ll give you that. However the other new introduced mechanics: tower defense and bomb cooking, were both underdeveloped and unnecessary to the game. The game also undermined one of the better things introduced to the series, the recruitment of Assassins and their faction building.

Eh, I only played the Tower Defense game once, and the recruitment and faction building worked fine, imo.

No ancient evil reveal. Bad Bulletin.
The wording is very peculiar. After seeing the E3 demo I had been wondering if the Didact was a bait and switch. This seems to take that a little further.
I find Halo 3 and Reach to both being about 6 hour games on Heroic solo for a competent player, and I don't feel that's rushing through the game at all. I feel that Halo 2 is few hours longer than both those games, and has a script that is literally thousands of times better. Is that unreasonable to expect a game of the scope of Halo 2?

inb4 Good Enough
I'm not sure you should measure a game's length by how fast you can complete it on replays. Inevitably, as you play the game more you'll get better at it and it'll get easier. Indeed, if you're replaying the game more than once, that's more hours you're being entertained by the product. All Halo games post Halo 2 have taken me 8-10 hours to complete the first time, including ODST, even though those numbers have dipped to 4-6 hours on replays. However, Halo campaigns have always been short, but the first two games were better at hiding their length. The reason why Halo 2 (and CE especially) seem longer is because the games repeat their levels (in part or in their entirety) for many sections of the games. You take out the repeated sections and you'll end up with lengths comparable to Halo 3.

Later on in your post you seem to conflate length with the scope of the script. I don't think that's the case. I'm not sure if I'd like a length tradeoff if it's in the tradition of the first two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom