• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone seeing Prometheus tonight?
I'm seeing it tomorrow or Saturday. So excited. It's the first movie I've been excited about pre-release since Star Wars Episode II (which I walked out of). Ten years.

Nade spamming was a problem because there were too many nades. Requiring a perk to pick them up is fixing a problem that was a result of poor playlist management and a poor understanding of how nade prevalence and placement could change a map, both of which became significantly more annoying to the community after their power buff in Reach. You're getting rid of the nade spam problem with the wrong solution.
Yup.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Don't mean to touch any nerves here, but what weapon combos are you all thinking of using? I think Storm Rifle and Magnum would be interesting.

The two builds I tried during War Games were:

BR
AR
Frag
Promethean Vision
Firepower (2 main weapons)
Super radar (that's not the name, I just don't remember the full name. It basically 'enhances; your radar's range and gives you more detailed information about enemies/vehicles that are close to you, although I didn't notice a big difference, to be honest)

BR
Pistol
Frag
Thruster
Shielding (quicker shield recharge)
Awareness (use radar when scoped)

I'm leaning towards the first one as I dominated a lot with that one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nade spamming was a problem because there were too many nades. Requiring a perk to pick them up is fixing a problem that was a result of poor playlist management and a poor understanding of how nade prevalence and placement could change a map, both of which became significantly more annoying to the community after their power buff in Reach. You're getting rid of the nade spam problem with the wrong solution.

Proper nade placement is one of the most skillful parts of Halo. Banking off walls, predicting enemy encounters, throwing one to weaken the enemy in a hopeless scenario so your teammates have an advantage, switching between stickies and frags depending on the situation, etc. Grenades are extremely rewarding and satisfying.

Oh well.

Maybe I understood wrong, but nades will still be on the map, you will just get them off bodies too with the perk.

kylej

Banned
I've seen very little about Halo 4, but most of it is unecessary changes and additions that just copy CoD. "Halo" gameplay was beautiful on its own; better than CoD's when it was done right. It doesn't need all this crap, and it doesn't add to the experience.

I want a Halo game that heralds back to Halo's origins; the most skill-based and fun console FPS on the market. A simple, elegant game that hides incredible depth through predictable, skill-based game mechanics and features. That's what I want, and nothing I've seen shows me thats the direction its going. In fact, everything looks like its going the opposite direction.

I agree with you, but at this point you've got to sit back and ride the waves.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What was the original source for this picture?

jV9wfg49pNy2j.png

I've seen it about, more so when the red/blue discussion came up, but I can't recall where it came from. Checked the Xbox press site and the official Halo 4 site. Maybe I overlooked it?

I'm thinking one of the videos.

jV9wfg49pNy2j.png

I've seen it about, more so when the red/blue discussion came up, but I can't recall where it came from. Checked the Xbox press site and the official Halo 4 site. Maybe I overlooked it?

I'm pretty sure it's from the campaign trailer they showed at E3.

And beaten

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Despite monsterfracas's best efforts to sabotage us, Halo 4 is still leading GAF's E3 Game of the Show!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=477514&page=4

I'm pretty surprised.
You know something that's been bugging me but didn't necessarily happen in that thread though.

Last of Us = Violent Survival Game
(New) Tomb Raider = Violent Survival Game

Gaffers shat on Tomb Raider and praised Last of Us.

But anyway it's offtopic. :b

Trey

I agree with you, but at this point you've got to sit back and ride the waves.

Can't wait for the day Frank comes through with the announcement that custom games is the most thorough and tweakable iteration yet. Joyous day that will be.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hope they strike the right balance with the SR, I need a semi-weak weapon to satisfy my inner scrub.

I know a couple aren't serious, but is anyone actually going to start with the shotty? Is that even possible? I'm way behind on all the specifics, sorry.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

jV9wfg49pNy2j.png

"Good" promethians confirmed. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if what happens in the campaign demo ends in you being saved by them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thrusters : BR : Shotgun : Two Primary Weapons Upgrade : Faster Shield Regen

I'm still confused about which upgrades go into which category, so I don't know if I can have the 2 Primaries and faster regen upgrades at the same time.

"Good" promethians confirmed. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if what happens in the campaign demo ends in you being saved by them.
Whoa. :mindblown

Oozer3993

jV9wfg49pNy2j.png

I wonder what that thing on the left is. It doesn't quite look like a Crawler.

They didn't allow recording.
Ah, I assumed they did due to the IGN off screen footage of Haven. Ah well, Im sure 343 won't leave us hanging.

Right?

My boss is taking the whole office (all of 6 people) to see it tomorrow.

That is so awesome. Im so hyped to see it tonight, I hope my GF likes it. She liked Alien and loved Aliens so I hopefully it will be fun for her.

I wonder what that thing on the left is. It doesn't quite look like a Crawler.

Promethean dog:

KutaW.png

MSTzO.png

Shhh... now you're going to get them started on how having multiple playlists will divide the community.
Well its kindof true. In the world of matchmaking playlist driven multiplayer more and more options aren't necessarily a good thing. Players will congregate to only certain playlists with certain options enabled. There won't necessarily be a playlist available to people of all playstyles.

yup. come with me if you want to live.
This got me. :)

daedalius

Kyle and bigshow are either the same person or lovers, I can't decide which yet.

The two loudest and most vitriolic voices that also haven't played the game at all.

If you guys could ask 343i mp team 1 questions, what would it be?

Halo 3 highest skill and in what playlist?

Lol, just kidding. Ask them what plans they have in place (if any) to patch the game post launch. Weekly updates? Can weapons be tweaked easily etc.

Ramirez

I want a Halo game that heralds back to Halo's origins; the most skill-based and fun console FPS on the market. A simple, elegant game that hides incredible depth through predictable, skill-based game mechanics and features. That's what I want, and nothing I've seen shows me thats the direction its going. In fact, everything looks like its going the opposite direction.

That ship sailed when Reach came out. They're not going to completely strip the game back down to CE/2 basics, to expect it is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, the game looks extremely good to me, and I was skeptical as all hell prior to E3. I'm still not 100% sold on everything, but most of the changes aren't as offensive as I first thought they would be.

The enemy designs are pretty awful though.

kylej

Banned
Kyle and bigshow are either the same person or lovers, I can't decide which yet.

The two loudest and most vitriolic voices that also haven't played the game at all.

If it makes you feel better I couldn't give two shits what you think, so please spare the rest of the thread from your boring meta posts about me. Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom