• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering for a couple of weeks now...

When did you become so curmudgeonly?

It's the new avatar.

In all seriousness, though: no idea. I'm only cranky when it comes to Halo, I think I'm pretty much done with it.

Finally, one that works.

My Ninja edit! Vadernoo.gif

KAp68.png

It's the new avatar.

In all seriousness, though: no idea. I'm only cranky when it comes to Halo, I think I'm pretty much done with it.

Same for me here. I don't know if you're a multiplayer guy but for me, what I'm hearing just doesn't sound good for a Halo game. It may very well be a fun game to play, but not a fun Halo game.

Campaign looks good though but that's a whole different beast for me.

Same for me here. I don't know if you're a multiplayer guy but for me, what I'm hearing just doesn't sound good for a Halo game. It may very well be a fun game to play, but not a fun Halo game.

I'm not big on multiplayer, but yeah, you're right.

Do you think the Reach Spartans look good?

Nobody does, right? Riiiight?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do you think the Reach Spartans look good?

I think some do, but some look awful. That's more down to personal customization. I've always envisioned Spartans as being sleek and streamlined, then I'll go into matchmaking and see 8 people with every large piece of armor you can buy on their Spartan and just think how stupid that looks. I think Noble team looks fine in campaign.

I think some do, but some look awful. That's more down to personal customization. I've always envisioned Spartans as being sleek and streamlined, then I'll go into matchmaking and see 8 people with every large piece of armor you can buy on their Spartan and just think how stupid that looks. I think Noble team looks fine in campaign.

Yeah, that's true. But the mix-matched armor pieces people cobble together in multiplayer really made me wish Bungie had given us less options, like Halo 3. Armor in that game looked fine.

Except Hayabusa.

I think for me im just de-hyped from the lack of information, for a blowout e3 was steeped in ambiguity. That said I haven't watched all of the MLG footage but to be honest seeing a sub section of the sandbox in a action sack style mode doesn't do much for me. In all that footage there's so little interesting gameplay and I know that doesn't reflect on the game because we are seeing stuff that I doubt is indicative of a proper team slayer match.

What im trying to say is, with such little to work with I don't know either way right now, but yeah, from the little we have seen, and more importantly, from the 3rd party reconstructions I'm just not expecting much from the game, that's only because most of what I know has come through stuff like game informer lol

You know, an ODST spartan ops season could actually work if it wasn't for the big amount of resources needed.

Set it on Requiem with the squad from the previous games. You have a small hub world where you can always travel around as the rookie, fight covenant and promethean patrols and have a base camp with ammunition, vehicles etc. Than as the weeks progress, you get missions ala Spartan Ops and ODST. You have to go to the certain location in the HUB world to start the linear mission.

A man can dream.

TheOddOne

No more of these small scale stuff being released at full price. Either make it its own game with new modes and unique elements. Halo world is big enough to have different kind of stories. So either go big or don't even try.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Would you guys mind if I made the next Halo OT, if Ghaleon's still on his sabbatical? I'd like to put in a section about the tourney.

No more of these small scale stuff being released at full price. Either make it its own game with new modes and unique elements. Halo world is big enough to have different kind of stories. So either go big or don't even try.

I think standalone games can work really well, especially if they use those standalone games to have different mechanics. I still want a stealthy Halo game but dont think that could carry a full priced stand alone experience. Until then though Master Kart 360 will have to do.

He's still posting.

and we aren't even halfway through.

Tournament should just be postponed until a good halo game is out tbh, or failing that it should be postponed until someone makes a time machine so we can go play a good halo game.

Yeah you heard me, I want a time machine to just go play halo.

TheOddOne

I think standalone games can work really well, especially if they use those standalone games to have different mechanics. I still want a stealthy Halo game but dont think that could carry a full priced stand alone experience. Until then though Master Kart 360 will have to do.
Radical departures like ODST are what I am looking for, infuse it with new ideas, innovations and gameplay that we have not seen before. It is also a perfect testing ground to go further, without compromising the mainline games.

Would you guys mind if I made the next Halo OT, if Ghaleon's still on his sabbatical? I'd like to put in a section about the tourney.

PM Ghaleon but seriously its likely that we will still be on this OT by the time the tourny hits and the tourny isnt a huge event i dont know if it derserves to be in the OT, with alot of the higher quality GAF players not playing my interest in it had declined.

We already have a backup OT creator for when Ghal is banned anyway

Fracas

#fuckonami
PM Ghaleon but seriously its likely that we will still be on this OT by the time the tourny hits and the tourny isnt a huge event i dont know if it derserves to be in the OT, with alot of the higher quality GAF players not playing my interest in it had declined.

We already have a backup OT creator for when Ghal is banned anyway

What? There's a lot of really good people in this tourney.

But it's all good, Ghaleon/his backup can make the next OT. Just would have made it easier to share information.

What? There's a lot of really good people in this tourney.

But it's all good, Ghaleon/his backup can make the next OT. Just would have made it easier to share information.

Elzars participating, that's reason enough to scrap it, Pretend it never existed, burn your hard drive and delete your Xbox account. Seriously avoid that guy, he brings in the dregs of halogaf like xand robberto krow and hydra.

I think that would be a cool tourney team if someone was cut :p

Tawpgun

Radical departures like ODST are what I am looking for, infuse it with new ideas, innovations and gameplay that we have not seen before. It is also a perfect testing ground to go further, without compromising the mainline games.

ODST wasn't radical enough. You were just as powerful as a spartan. Same abilities as a spartan except you couldn't *gasp* dual wield.

The silenced weapons weren't silenced at all. You spent the entire day in VISR mode without consequence. There were no special stealth elements. I was expecting a much more tactical experience.

Fuchsdh

ODST wasn't radical enough. You were just as powerful as a spartan. Same abilities as a spartan except you couldn't *gasp* dual wield.

The silenced weapons weren't silenced at all. You spent the entire day in VISR mode without consequence. There were no special stealth elements. I was expecting a much more tactical experience.

I understand where you're saying that ODST was conservative, but I'd say there were still substantial differences. You were definitely weaker than the Halo 3 Chief and couldn't dual-wield. Brutes with Brute Shots were far more deadly, as were Hunters. If you used VISR in the daytime segments you'd often enter areas where it'd be washed out and impractical to use. Not having a Motion Tracker made it far easier to get swarmed.

TheOddOne

I didn’t say it was a perfect spin-off, but is a prime example of those experiences can be done and still feel like Halo. Going even more radical would make me much much happier.

I don't think you can do that. When I go to marketplace, I can only download apps. No music or podcasts. I think it's a problem with WP itself. It seems like there is no other way than through Zune on your PC to download podcasts.

It's the only way I've ever downloaded a podcast. I've never gone through Zune.

Maybe it's a region thing.

I've wanted this for a while, you should be able to retire when you're down to like 2 vs 4 or something. It's no fun at all getting bullied by superior numbers.

So Lego Batman 2 is really good? http://www.oxm.co.uk/42831/reviews/lego-batman-2-dc-superheroes-review/

Anyone else getting this?

It's all about that upcoming Lego LOTR. Looks so awesome.

I understand where you're saying that ODST was conservative, but I'd say there were still substantial differences. You were definitely weaker than the Halo 3 Chief and couldn't dual-wield. Brutes with Brute Shots were far more deadly, as were Hunters. If you used VISR in the daytime segments you'd often enter areas where it'd be washed out and impractical to use. Not having a Motion Tracker made it far easier to get swarmed.

I get his point about VISR mode though. There was really no reason at all to not have it on constantly during the night-time portions of the game. If it were on some sort of battery limit it would've been a way better experience.

When I play I force myself to turn it off when I'm not tactically assessing a situation.

Retro

What about a game surrounding ONI spies? Stealth action, 343 developing with input from Kojima. Boom.

Sounds like Starcraft: Ghost; a lone, stealthy agent with an arsenal of top secret weapons and resources to draw from in a futuristic war with aliens.

That means "Yes", by the way.

Tawpgun

I wanted limited use on the VISR. Sort of like an AA almost. Use it only when you need it.

I wanted actual stealth and silenced weapons to work.

I wanted SUBSTANTIALLY less health than Chief. Only thing I got was less melee strength.

I wanted more. Remember that initial teaser trailer? Even the first gameplay trailer tried really hard to make it seem stealthy.

If we are talking about more spinoff games then they should not have the word Halo in the title. That will only further the idea series is departing from its roots. You have no idea how many of my friends are upset that they bought ODST. I do think that spin off games do breed fatigue with the series for people who did not understand what ODST was supposed to be and casual fans of the series. That said, I would really like to see a Halo Wars 2.

As for ODST titles, I can see where people might think it would take away from SOPS.

darthbob

It's a shame there was not hardly any stealth in ODST, however, I'm not entirely sure that that's what they were even going for.

The game was supposed to, and did succeed (IMO) at emulating a futuristic film noir style.

Preaching to the choir there, man. I wanted it to be Master Chief's default weapon in H4, remember. With a big scary hub world full of forerunner nasties to sneak through.

I like my version of Promethean vision better too.

I don't think there was anything more fun to tear through enemies with than a silenced ranged automatic weapon.

When all we knew of the "Assault Carbine" was its name I was so very hopeful that it would be an MA5K (the shortened AR from GoO) with a silencer. But alas, it's a covenant weapon.

Edit: Also...Man, I wanna play THAT game.

Louis Wu

You are going to give him a shoutout at HBO right? Kid deserves it with such a great montage.
Look, I know what you think, I frontpage Tashi's stuff and all... but even I have to draw the line somewhere.

<3 Tashi - those montages are my favorite kind, minimal effects, just gameplay.

TheOddOne

If we are talking about more spinoff games then they should not have the word Halo in the title. That will only further the idea series is departing from its roots. You have no idea how many of my friends are upset that they bought ODST. I do think that spin off games do breed fatigue with the series for people who did not understand what ODST was supposed to be and casual fans of the series. That said, I would really like to see a Halo Wars 2.

As for ODST titles, I can see where people might think it would take away from SOPS.
I'm ok with this.

Spinoffs are ok but i agree that they shouldn't be coming out that much. That is up to Microsoft though. It has been 5 years since the last "real" Halo game but the spinoffs make it seem like Halo is being milked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom