• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gives the words "Poetry Slam" a whole new meaning
2kgcx.gif

I'd love to run some actual games with GAF sometime this week, as I've only ever participated in arcade-y customs.

Gotta get a feel for what to expect in the run-up to this tournament.

Hey I asked if people wanted to do regular games btw. >:_|

you are the worst lobby host

just lyk u r the wurst in this tourny m i rite?

edit: I am slightly disappointed that the last time I participated everyone started leaving during what I thought was the coolest thing we had done yet, which was the long mongoose dash across an open field to get a flag while being fired upon by rocket turrets.

Close second is the plasma run.

Not to go OT, but I'd kill to see ME3 ending impressions in a vacuum. Too much outside influence generating negative feelings. The ending was good.
Feels like just as much of an opinion as everyone else.
I've waited to play it myself, will pick it up on PC after the new dlc.

So many fans of the series didn't like it, friends who I know were excited and wanted to like the game so I don't feel it's fair to say that people didn't like it because of the hype.

So many fans of the series didn't like it, friends who I know were excited and wanted to like the game so I don't feel it's fair to say that people didn't like it because of the hype.

For me, the series sort of went slowly downhill to culminate with a slightly-above-mediocre ending. 2 and 3 weren't particularly bad games by any means, but they were progressively worse going from the first. So, I wasn't really disappointed, as the ending was decent enough for what it was. Still, nice to see they're at least addressing it for the people who were disappointed.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Yep, you're right.

I think I just kind of feel like a lot of people (ME3 ending spoilers)
wanted all of their decisions in the ending cinematic, and I felt like the ending cinematic should be the set end to the story, and the players decisions DROVE that story, rather than choose the ending. I can see how people wanted something else, but I enjoyed the games like no other just getting to guide the story, instead of "setting up" an ending. If that makes any sense

People gotta stop putting ME1 on a pedestal. RPG elements this, exploration that. Like come on, the inventory, and in turn the upgrade system was extremely cumbersome. It was improved on PC, but it still sucked. And exploring uncharted worlds usually amounted to a whole lot of nothing but hills and more hills. You're better off just looking at a map on Mass Effect wiki to find the points of interest, save yourself the time. And let's not forget all those copy/paste bunkers and bases. I loved ME1 at the time; the universe, dialogue system, personalization of the whole experience, and even the combat completely sucked me in for almost a dozen playthroughs. ME1 holds a special place in my heart, but I can't help but think it hasn't aged particularly well.

I can understand that some fans were upset that Bioware streamlined the experience, but I can't help but like it a heck of a lot more. For all the talk of sreamlining in ME2, the different classes are far more varied in combat than they ever were in ME1. Going back to the combat in 1 after playing 2 is especially painful. I'm still playing through ME3 for the first time and enjoying it so far. With the extended cut DLC coming out next week it will be interesting to see how I react to this much maligned ending.

People gotta stop putting ME1 on a pedestal. RPG elements this, exploration that. Like come on, the inventory, and in turn the upgrade system was extremely cumbersome. It was improved on PC, but it still sucked. And exploring uncharted worlds usually amounted to a whole lot of nothing but hills and more hills. You're better off just looking at a map on Mass Effect wiki to find the points of interest, save yourself the time. And let's not forget all those copy/paste bunkers and bases. I loved ME1 at the time; the universe, dialogue system, personalization of the whole experience, and even the combat completely sucked me in for almost a dozen playthroughs. ME1 holds a special place in my heart, but I can't help but think it hasn't aged particularly well.

I can understand that some fans were upset that Bioware streamlined the experience, but I can't help but like it a heck of a lot more. For all the talk of sreamlining in ME2, the different classes are far more varied in combat than they ever were in ME1. Going back to the combat in 1 after playing 2 is especially painful. I'm still playing through ME3 for the first time and enjoying it so far. With the extended cut DLC coming out next week it will be interesting to see how I react to this much maligned ending.

I value story-telling in games so much more than most other things. ME1 was just amazing in that regard. I suppose I put it on a pedestal because, while 2 and 3 were better games on paper for various reason, they just didn't appeal to me as much as they weren't fresh, and they didn't feel vast (with the exception of some of the earlier exploration in 3). I was not disappointed by either game, and enjoyed a lot of the improvements otherwise. I probably would have been happy with Mass Effect being the only game in the franchise, but I understand it was envisioned as a trilogy from day one.

This is the same reason why I found that Halo: CE was the better Halo game, even though 2 had better scope and story beats, and 3 having the best encounters and epic feel, CE was just fresh and slim and neatly wrapped, just like ME 1 (obviously save for a few faults like inventory, and less than perfect combat - but those are so secondary to me).

I look at it like this.

(Naturally, most Mass Effect fans would disagree with me for various reasons, but I think a significant amount wouldn't. So that's why I thought it was worth commenting.)

Finding a game that is fun, that has a solid combat system, is incredibly easy. Making a game that is fun and has a solid combat system is incredibly easy.

Finding a game that is more than simply fun, that provides an interesting, memorable, atmospheric experience -- that is much harder. Those games are the ones that tend to stay close to people's hearts. And making a game like that is a real challenge.

With the sequels, Bioware unashamedly took the boring and easy path.

Edit: Also, Cracked is being a bit mean, while that article is obviously not serious. The Halo series has never painted Cortana in a sexual light. It's the internet and the fans that do that, inevitably and unfortunately. While she may have gotten 'hotter', that's mainly because graphics have gotten better. It's not sexualization, is my point.

Edit: Also, Cracked is being a bit mean, while that article is obviously not serious. The Halo series has never painted Cortana in a sexual light. It's the internet and the fans that do that, inevitably and unfortunately. While she may have gotten 'hotter', that's mainly because graphics have gotten better. It's not sexualization, is my point.
Eh, no. There's been a market change in her design that has made her more "sexy" between Halo 1 to Halo 2, and Halo 2 to Halo 3.
Even Bungie have made light/jokes of it, similar to Oni.

Edit: Personally I think my favourite design for her in-game is Halo 2, but love how she looked in some of the Halo 2 & Halo 3 concept art particularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom