• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

That akward moment when you realize that you crashed a boosting party.

iimqSFlwisBUj.bmp

iF5qGUFSC8CS0.bmp

It wasn't what he said, but the tone.
I've never understood why people keep citing that line. The characters are military personnel, and they're sent on a mission to find out what the heck is going on. They're going to state things matter-of-factly. Did you want him to scream "THE COVENANT IS ON REACH!!!"? Did you want him to say it with dread and fear "The Covenant...is on Reach...oh God". I mean, he's a Commander. If anything, I'm more irked by Col. Holland's hammy "May God help us all."

Overall, I'd say the vocal work is mostly good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcGkJLOgz0

I've never understood why people keep citing that line. The characters are military personnel, and they're sent on a mission to find out what the heck is going on. They're going to state things matter-of-factly. Did you want him to scream "THE COVENANT IS ON REACH!!!"? Did you want him to say it with dread and fear "The Covenant...is on Reach...oh God". I mean, he's a Commander. If anything, I'm more irked by Col. Holland's hammy "May God help us all."

"Covenant's on Reach. Eh. Not much going on over here."

Overdoziz

Banned
Pretty sure it wasn't Carter but one of the missing Marines saying that line.
And in a universe where practically every planet where the Covenant had shown up was destroyed you'd think the marine would be less monotone especially considering the fact that they were already on the planet itself and not just in ships in space near it.

And then there's Jorge's saying "Here we go" casually just after they found out that the Covenant are on 'his' planet.

That's not the line people are talking about.

"Covenant's on Reach. Eh. Not much going on over here."
I do not get it. I have no problem with Carter's line. Even how the voice actor speak it. He is a Spartan-III. He fought the Covenant a lot already. It was sure that Reach gets attacked sometimes. He's a professional and that's how he spoke the line.

Pretty sure it wasn't Carter but one of the missing Marines saying that line.
And in a universe where practically every planet where the Covenant had shown up was destroyed you'd think the marine would be less monotone especially considering the fact that they were already on the planet itself and not just in ships in space near it.

And then there's Jorge's saying "Here we go" casually just after they found out that the Covenant are on 'his' planet.
Yep. I am thinking people confusing Carter's line with them from the Marine.

There are so many things you can pick a part in this scene. The covies on reach part is not the worst. For one, the whole friction between George and Emile doesn't make any sense. Why in the world anyone thought it made for Emile to make fun of a fellow soldier helping a traumatized citizen is beyond me.

I do not get it. I have no problem with Carter's line. Even how the voice actor speak it. He is a Spartan-III. He fought the Covenant a lot already. It was sure that Reach gets attacked sometimes. He's a professional and that's how he spoke the line.
Why are you talking about Carter? I'm talking about the line that was spoken by Travis.

Fuchsdh

You guys do know that that monotone line reading of "The Covenant is on Reach" was brought to you by the guy from "Band of Brothers" and "Office Space", right?
Ron%2BLivingston.jpg

aka Cpl. Travis, Charlie Company or whatever.

kylej

Banned
You guys do know that that monotone line reading of "The Covenant is on Reach" was brought to you by the guy from "Band of Brothers" and "Office Space", right?
aka Cpl. Travis, Charlie Company or whatever.

Something tells me Livingston put a different amount of effort into faithfully representing the emotional dynamism and humanity of soldiers during World War II than he did when pretending to be a space marine in a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom