• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
People complaining about randoms... 99% of my games are solo (Invasion, BTB and Super Slayer) yet I've lots of fun.
Maybe it's because... you're one of the randoms.

IvS1o.jpg

Gui_PT

Dat quitting when your team gets skunked on the first phase.

Oh the quits. All those quits!

If you can't blain on your own you're a BK and should feel bad.

Halo Fact #16

Why do you kids think talking like kylej is cool?

I can't do the work of a WHOLE team. When I used to play Invasion, I had to defend both objectives because no one else would do crap, or the whole team would protect only one objective instead splitting up. When it was time to attack, they'd just rush to the objective instead of clearing the area first as a team and then controling the spot.

Terrible.

stephen08

To point A: Yep, I'm not 343 with access to the exact numbers but those were the ballpark figures.

B: Fine but at some point Squad and Classic did change positions in the list with a practically identical exchange in population numbers too.

C and D: these points are irrelevant to the fundamental point of this discourse.

At the bolded, I don't discredit myself on my fundamental point, being that 'community preference' is a distant muffled noise compared to why the general populace play what they do the most. Branding and order in the list carry the Team Slayer numbers.

Take Team Slayer exactly as it is now, put it at the bottom of the 'Competitive' list and name it 'Vanilla Slayer' (its blurb reads "Play the definitive Halo brought to you by the people who made Halo"). Now take Super Slayer and put it top and rename it Team Slayer. What do you think would happen?

Oh there would be a migration no doubt. I'm just saying lets not pretend that nobody could possibly prefer Vanilla to TU. The info we do have suggests a significant part of the population prefers Vanilla.

Dat quitting when your team gets skunked on the first phase.
I remember when whole team quit so it was 6v1, me playing as an elite.

I got a killtacular and an overkill by throwing some stickies, apparently they're not smart enough to stay safe and shoot me from a distance so they decided to blindly meele my corpse from spawn.

LosDaddie

Banned
People complaining about randoms... 99% of my games are solo (Invasion, BTB and Super Slayer) yet I've lots of fun.

Same. No one from HaloGAF invites me to games :(....and none of my friends play Reach anymore.

Still, I have a great time. Really enjoying the Classic Slayer playlist

Oh the quits. All those quits!

Why do you kids think talking like kylej is cool?
I need to somehow make up for my micropenis but don't tell anyone!

Also, I don't have to win a match in order to have fun, this is even more obvious in Reach since you'll be rewarded with cash even if you play poorly.

My team is playing like shit? I go on my own and proceed to nail some kills here and there and try to finish with a positive K/D, not such a big deal.

Fuchsdh

Same. No one from HaloGAF invites me to games :(....and none of my friends play Reach anymore.

Still, I have a great time. Really enjoying the Classic Slayer playlist

You'll prolly always have more fun as a team, but yeah, me too. I usually just stay in slayer games so infant be bothered by bad teams making a mess of objective games, and just try to go positive if they suck.

Oh there would be a migration no doubt. I'm just saying lets not pretend that nobody could possibly prefer Vanilla to TU. The info we do have suggests a significant part of the population prefers Vanilla.

I used to enjoy the game (mostly) before the TU. After the TU, 343 aggressively (and rightly imo) coerced us into adapting to the TU settings by making all of the shiny new Anni playlists TU to some extent (even classic has a 85% bloom DMR) and changing most of the base playlists to TU. Now acclimatised to 85% bloom I find it incredibly laborious to go back to vanilla settings. I totally understand that some prefer Vanilla and they have legitimate personal reasons why.

However, what is this info we have that suggests a significant part of the population prefers vanilla? The only two reasons I can think of are i) Team Slayers numbers, which I've already debunked as non-indicative of a vanilla preference in my previous post and ii) the two week 'poll' in Team Slayer which was grossly inefficient in its setup to inform us of definitive preferences and the results of which were never published. I could be missing other info but these are the only two I can think of.

Ultimately, TS can remain vanilla for all I care, I just think its numbers don't make explicit a preference for vanilla. Also I want Squad DLC TU'd so I can enjoy the DLC maps which I currently hardly ever play.

You'll prolly always have more fun as a team, but yeah, me too. I usually just stay in slayer games so infant be bothered by bad teams making a mess of objective games, and just try to go positive if they suck.
x1000 this, I think people take the game so seriously they won't even enjoy themselves some mindless slaughtering.

Going to objective solo and complaining about retarded teammates... what did you expect bro?

Gui_PT

I need to somehow make up for my micropenis but don't tell anyone!

Also, I don't have to win a match in order to have fun, this is even more obvious in Reach since you'll be rewarded with cash even if you play poorly.

My team is playing like shit? I go on my own and proceed to nail some kills here and there and try to finish with a positive K/D, not such a big deal.

I don't need to win to have fun. I've lost many good, close matches but had fun because both teams were competent. I just can't have fun while surrounded by idiots.

That's why I don't play with Xand anymoreOOOOOHHHHHHH

Karl2177

Stephen. smh. You say the data is invalid, yet you use it to your own point. The data in general is bad, because there was no test of another one of the many variables of population influence.

From my perspective, it appears most people don't give a shit about bloom settings between 85 and 100. They will pick whatever is at the top. To deny these claims is acceptable, but to claim that the outright majority of people prefer TS settings is poor judgement. Is your claim a possibility? Yep, but the way you are so vehemently opposing henery makes me shake my head.

stephen08

I used to enjoy the game (mostly) before the TU. After the TU, 343 aggressively (and rightly imo) coerced us into adapting to the TU settings by making all of the shiny new Anni playlists TU to some extent (even classic has a 85% bloom DMR) and changing most of the base playlists to TU. Now acclimatised to 85% bloom I find it incredibly laborious to go back to vanilla settings. I totally understand that some prefer Vanilla and they have legitimate personal reasons why.

However, what is this info we have that suggests a significant part of the population prefers vanilla? The only two reasons I can think of are i) Team Slayers numbers, which I've already debunked as non-indicative of a vanilla preference in my previous post and ii) the two week 'poll' in Team Slayer which was grossly inefficient in its setup to inform us of definitive preferences and the results of which were never published. I could be missing other info but these are the only two I can think of.

Ultimately, TS can remain vanilla for all I care, I just think its numbers don't make explicit a preference for vanilla. Also I want Squad DLC TU'd so I can enjoy the DLC maps which I currently hardly ever play.

The two week TS poll had to show a significant amount of people preferring TU. Otherwise why not make the change as intended? Why make that significant change (removal of bleed through) to the TU after it already had been rolled out to the vast majority of playlists? Something in that poll altered 343i's plans with the TU. I also believe that was where the TU stopped being applied to other lists.

Fuck Squad DLC going TU though. 343i took Squad, Premium Slayer and Objective already. Squad DLC is a last glorious bastion. My counter offer is you get TS going TU, Super Slayer is retired for the old glorious Squad Slayer which was vanilla, objective goes vanilla. Not such a great deal right? That's how badly we got screwed over when the TU started getting rolled out.

Stephen. smh. You say the data is invalid, yet you use it to your own point. The data in general is bad, because there was no test of another one of the many variables of population influence.

From my perspective, it appears most people don't give a shit about bloom settings between 85 and 100. They will pick whatever is at the top. To deny these claims is acceptable, but to claim that the outright majority of people prefer TS settings is poor judgement. Is your claim a possibility? Yep, but the way you are so vehemently opposing henery makes me shake my head.

I didn't say the majority did I? I said a significant portion. Whatever that number was it totally stopped TU in its tracks. It was enough that 343i didn't make the TU a global change. You should also reread because I absolutely agree some amount of people just scan for Slayer and play that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wireless Astro A50s just went up for pre-order. I can finally replace my broken A40s.

I'd love to get them, but I'm waiting for them to be out in the wild for a while. Plus, the next set of cans I get I'm gonna do some serious shopping around, especially now that I already have a mixamp.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Going to objective solo and complaining about retarded teammates... what did you expect bro?
Since this seems directed at me, I'll respond.

I go into Objective solo because I'd rather not play Vanilla TS and whenever I go into Super Slayer solo people seem to vote for Zero Bloom more often than not. Besides, regardless of the playlist I still get matched up with "retarded" teammates.

I'm not gonna play shitty Invasion and I'm not definitely not gonna play assed up BTB ever since they introduced Heavies into it. If Squad Slayer wasn't removed this wouldn't be a problem.

And I only "bitch" in this thread cause it's fun to complain about randoms. But all everyone in this thread seems to do is whine about other peoples shit.

/halogafclassic

FyreWulff

Why are you so hung up on the fact that Rocket Hog Race is TU? In what way does it affect it? Bloom and bleedthrough are non-factors in RHR. I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm missing something here.

I'm not hung up on it. It's the fact that they went out their way to implement the TU in a gametype that didn't need the TU at all, in a playlist that barely used any of the TU'd elements, as a perplexing use of resources.

I used to enjoy the game (mostly) before the TU. After the TU, 343 aggressively (and rightly imo) coerced us into adapting to the TU settings by making all of the shiny new Anni playlists TU to some extent (even classic has a 85% bloom DMR) and changing most of the base playlists to TU.

I'm also still confused as to why the DMR is still in Anniversary Classic. We already have the Halo 1 Pistol, the DMR doesn't need to be there as a Halo1-Pistol-by-Proxy anymore.

Booties

Banned
I forgot how many kids have shit internet that cause them to drop/quit. Xbox live blows donkey dicks. You can't play online solo unless you're a retard.

I don't need to win to have fun. I've lost many good, close matches but had fun because both teams were competent. I just can't have fun while surrounded by idiots.

That's why I don't play with Xand anymoreOOOOOHHHHHHH
Welcome to Console Online Gaming (TM), infinite source of brainless jerks, racist douchebags and Xand.

I'll be your guide.

Akai__

Wireless Astro A50s just went up for pre-order. I can finally replace my broken A40s.

My A40s are working perfect and if they break, I will probably get the A50s, too. They look absolutely awesome and I bet they are as good as the A40s, when not better.

Still waiting for other Astro Gaming products, like a gaming mouse and maybe a controller. There was a survey on astrogaming.com, which asked about products we would like to see and to be honest I see it happening.

Edit: How do I make the background for my avatar transparent?

Been playing ODST for a good few hours from the start and damn this game is sooooo good. The music, atmosphere, silenced smg, story, all so delicious.

Dat initial drop

What if a ODST 2 done with HALO 4 engine?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Some dude on Reddit got all the Halo achievements (including PC). That's nuts.

http://imgur.com/a/V2dp4

Those Halo Wars ones are hard a shit, and some of the Reach/Halo 3 ones are impossible to get without getting a full group together (which we should do sometime, I need like 3 H3 cheevos and a handful in Reach).

Also, Anniversary is damn impossible on Legendary alone. I can't get past "Halo." Elites don't die, and I run out of plasma rifles.

Ryan loves warm beer, what in the actual fuck.

BADKID'R'US

Those Halo Wars ones are hard a shit, and some of the Reach/Halo 3 ones are impossible to get without getting a full group together (which we should do sometime, I need like 3 H3 cheevos and a handful in Reach).

Thats not impressive i only need a few halo wars one's but that game is ass and the online ones are only possible if you play it tooo much

daedalius

100% bloom leads to such pathetically awful kill times, it diametrically increases the strength of grenades, melee, and armor abilities; because with such a pathetically weak weapon, you are forced to rely on other abilities to get your kills.

Reach isn't a gun game at 100% bloom.

I absolutely hate bloom, and I cannot wait till I can remove the reach disc from my drive forever once halo 4 is released. I would play zero bloom every game if I could.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BADKID'R'US

Thats not impressive i only need a few halo wars one's but that game is ass and the online ones are only possible if you play it tooo much

You have all the Halo 2 PC ones?

The hardest for me have been the cheap 3/Reach ones where you need a specific map/gametype, beating Halo Wars and Anniversary on Legendary, and Halo Wars' online ones.

I just can't do it.

Akai__

I don't had problems with the Halo Wars achievments except for becoming general.

If one of those achievments are the Vidmaster Challenges for Halo 3 campaign and ODST Firefight I would like to help. :)

Akai__

How long would you say it took you to get the Lieutenant rank achievement?

I don't know it tooked me a while with my very first account. Maybe 20 games, maybe more, can't say for sure.

Anyway, there are no banhammers in Halo Wars and you can do over 30.000 points in one match, so it would take you 33 games, each about 30-45 minutes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't figure out how to even beat Halo Wars on Heroic, much less on Legendary or Heroic & under par time. Also Anniversary on Legendary is MUCH harder than Reach, I can't get past Halo. I run out of ammo in everything trying to hit Elites that jump back and forth all the time making you miss.

I do need 2 Halo 3 achievements still and a handful of Reach multi if anyone is down sometime. Specifically:

Halo 3:

Reach:

Buddermilk

Neo Member
You have all the Halo 2 PC ones?

The hardest for me have been the cheap 3/Reach ones where you need a specific map/gametype, beating Halo Wars and Anniversary on Legendary, and Halo Wars' online ones.

I just can't do it.
I'm only missing the Halo Wars general ach. and all the PC ones. Bought copies of both but could never get them to run. If you ever need help on Reach Im always down to help a fellow Gafer.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's not difficult at all. You have just to turn on some skulls before the end of the mission.

Hmm. I had a heck of a time on Normal even. Par time wasn't easy there. Maybe I'm missing some tips and tricks. We failed in co-op on normal a few times on some of the "protect these areas" missions.

Akai__

Hmm. I had a heck of a time on Normal even. Par time wasn't easy there. Maybe I'm missing some tips and tricks. We failed in co-op on normal a few times on some of the "protect these areas" missions.

If you want, I can help you. The problem is, that I won't have time the next 2 weeks, because of exams, but after I've finnished them, we can do them.

No way.iwould have been, 'why don't you just suicide or quit bk u will never be leet liek me lololololl.'

So you are one of those. :p

Shadders

Also, Anniversary is damn impossible on Legendary alone. I can't get past "Halo." Elites don't die, and I run out of plasma rifles.

I have them all on 3, ODST and Anniversary. Just missing General on Wars (resigned to never getting that) and these three on Reach:
apzut.jpg

If anyone wanted to get on some time and go for them I'd be game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom