• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOKYARD

Scroll down moar. I mean, YOU can't but that screen can. Also, control schemes in this build are NOT finished. Something we spent a bunch of time talking to pros about.
So, no need to post the rest of the control schemes.

You don't take your wife to the movies. You take her to Broadway Musicals

Bigup to all them brothers who know what I'm talkin about

Yeah BR vs BR battles looked pretty infuriating. I saw Neighbor on the white map struggling a bit, especially when shooting a jumping player. Limited range/spread is not something I want at all after Reach's DMR. Hopefully the Halo 4 DMR is decent enough at mid-range.

Why was bumper jumper changed instead of just adding another control scheme with a layout 343 felt was appropriate? If people want to play Halo 4 on classic BJ settings - even if it's detrimental to their performance - what is the issue? Change for changes sake.
Someone gets it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pros seemed to like the game a lot. I'm sure they had some good feedback for the team too.

Just funny that after all of the craziness from a few folks here over this and that, that the pros didn't seem to note any of those qualms.

Woorloog

Banned
Just funny that after all of the craziness from a few folks here over this and that, that the pros didn't seem to note any of those qualms.

I'm sure there are things they're worried off but it is good that they're excited and positive. Makes me less worried. Not that i'm worried, just a teeny tiny bit worried.

TheOddOne

Pros seemed to like the game a lot. I'm sure they had some good feedback for the team too.

Walshy said in his last video that some pros did not like the change.

TCKaos

It'd be cool if the Missile Pod came back. Really the Halo 3 anti-vehicle sandbox was pretty good. The Blueberry Gun in Reach tracks for damn-near an eternity, Laser destroys instantly, Rockets sort of love tap your sack but don't do much, Fuel-Rod is a joke, Grenade Launcher is actually pretty nifty but does low damage, Concussion Rifle is a major annoyance but has such low damage yield that it makes me cringe.

Why was bumper jumper changed instead of just adding another control scheme with a layout 343 felt was appropriate? If people want to play Halo 4 on classic BJ settings - even if it's detrimental to their performance - what is the issue? Change for changes sake.

They should take some notes from any recent fighter - allow the players to map their buttons to whatever function they want.

Lol, just realized distraction seems to be getting shot a whole bunch, being saved, and not assisting.

Lol.

ROCKET KILL +10

Seriously 343?

Bro, you went and picked up the rockets, shot em, and got a kill, you actually knew it was your rockets that killed them?!

Bro, your awareness is unmatched.

But srsly, not that it matters much to me, but this game is extremely beginner friendly from the HUD/UI elements.

kylej

Banned
The white map looks like what would happen if you told someone to make an arena-style map for Halo but they didn't know what made those types of maps good. It has all the checkboxes - Narrows' afro-style cover, jumps, a touch of verticality between encounter spaces, ramps, etc, but it's not doing much at all for me.

Woorloog

Banned
Lol, just realized distraction seems to be getting shot a whole bunch, being saved, and not assisting.

Lol.

I'm not sure one should gain points or medal for that, as that may be accidental. If you're distraction on purpose, sure. But if you do that, why not also shoot the enemy?

I'm not sure one should gain points or medal for that, as that may be accidental. If you're distraction on purpose, sure. But if you do that, why not also shoot the enemy?

Exactly why I see a problem with giving them 5 points.

It's over-gratifying kids who just are gonna eat bullets and give them no incentive to get any better because they're like "I'm helping the team by being a distraction".

They made one of the oldest excuses in the book viable now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The white map looks like what would happen if you told someone to make an arena-style map for Halo but they didn't know what made those types of maps good. It has all the checkboxes - Narrows' afro-style cover, jumps, a touch of verticality between encounter spaces, ramps, etc, but it's not doing much at all for me.

Serious question, do you like anything about Halo 4 multiplayer so far?

Farooq

Banned
Its not negative, its simply a statement of fact. Halo MP has meant many different things over the years.

If you grew up in the "teamshot or die, individual's are ineffective" Halo MP era, then yes, Halo MP appears to be "back' with a bunch of Reach MP stuff thrown in as well.

I know where you are coming from. I would love for Halo to go back to it's original roots. However, we have to be realistic, Halo is competing with CoD, and some elements that made CoD successful are going to be implemented into Halo.

That is just how it is, I mean I would prefer a non loadout/AA weapon sandbox. Just classic Halo balanced for classic Halo but we probably are not going to get that. At most we will get playlist from the load out sandbox to resemble classic slayer, it will not be the same but you just have to roll with it.

We can hope for a lot of customization options, but I don't think we are going to get anything more than we have received in the past.

CyReN

If you are having issues with the MLG player and have twitter, please tweet @MrMLGAdam and @MLGSundance for get it up on their Youtube. A few of my friends can't watch it already.

BigShow36

I know where you are coming from. I would love for Halo to go back to it's original roots. However, we have to be realistic, Halo is competing with CoD, and some elements that made CoD successful are going to be implemented into Halo.

That is just how it is, I mean I would prefer a non loadout/AA weapon sandbox. Just classic Halo balanced for classic Halo but we probably are not going to get that. At most we will get playlist from the load out sandbox to resemble classic slayer, it will not be the same but you just have to roll with it.

We can hope for a lot of customization options, but I don't think we are going to get anything more than we have received in the past.

Sure, I get that. However, the one thing they failed to take from CoD are fast kill times. I'm not calling for CoD kill-times, obviously, but these plodding, drawn out kill-times do a lot of damage to what would otherwise be an interesting, viable sandbox.

Slightly worried on kill times with the BR. It shouldn't be taking up pretty much all of your clip to kill someone.

Halo 3 had a good balance of killtime in relation to speed. Halo 4 seems to be smoother and strafing is much more effective, making the BR very underpowered for the inevitable 1vs1 situations. Especially with sprint.

Look at Halo 2 for example, fastest BR but also fastest base speed, meaning there was always time to escape. Now look at halo 4, decent base speed + sprint and slower BR. In 1vs1 situations more often than not, each player will just run away with absolutely no consequences. Even if you do win a 1vs1 battle, you're left with nothing in your clip.

You should be able to defend yourself in situations where you are faced with more then one opponent. Technically speaking you should die due to teamwork, but the great thing about Halo 2 and Halo 3 was that, if someone had amazing aim, they could fight their way out of it and not be punished by in-game mechanics.

Killer

Banned
They always do in previews....

Anyways, I liked what i saw but i'm not sure about the overshield and how it depletes. In one of the videos, he got shot like five times with the BR and shield bar didn't move at all. I also hate Promethean vision already because everyone is using it and make the game much more predictable.

Other than that everything seems solid. Kinda like that David Ellis guy too.

kylej

Banned
So is it only Infinite Slayer that uses a COD based scoring system to win the game, or is that universal through all gametypes/playlists? Trying to understand how it works. It doesn't look like the overall performance of the team (say, 230-170) correlates to kills. I see there's a separate number next to kills on the death screen ("125" next to 7 kills for example), but tallying any of those numbers up doesn't equate to the overall score.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the videos are boring to watch.

From 6:55-7:55 on the video of Neighbor on Haven/Wraparound, he only has two encounters.

Hopefully this will improve as we learn the maps, but jeez, it seems like most of the time is spent looking for people, or having P-vision enabled.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the videos are boring to watch.

From 6:55-7:55 on the video of Neighbor on Haven/Wraparound, he only has two encounters.

Hopefully this will improve as we learn the maps, but jeez, it seems like most of the time is spent looking for people, or having P-vision enabled.

The developer commentaries are the only ones I can stand to watch, since they mix up the POV of the players. The mix of big ass maps that don't really know and small player count means a lot of wandering around and not a lot of action. I guess they thought that everybody would just be running around like a chicken with their head chopped off with sprint to make up for all the space, but they were wrong. When Ellis said 5v5 was the standard for Objective, I thought he was wacky, but now it's looking like that's gotta be a minimum.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So is it only Infinite Slayer that uses a COD based scoring system to win the game, or is that universal through all gametypes/playlists? Trying to understand how it works. It doesn't look like the overall performance of the team (say, 230-170) correlates to kills. I see there's a separate number next to kills on the death screen ("125" next to 7 kills for example), but tallying any of those numbers up doesn't equate to the overall score.

From what I could tell the Infinity Slayer mode used that score system and the drops. Now it seemed like regular slayer would be as usual, but kills would be +10 instead of +1. So basically just the same scoring as all Halos, but add a 0.

The other matches they showed on Adrift didn't have personal drops at all, just the power weapon drops, which looked like a fancy way to spawn them as usual. Only difference is they rotate around the map.

As far as I could tell from the videos, everything you do that gives you points (Assists, Kills, Distractions, etc.) counts towards the entire team's score in Infinity Slayer.

Korosenai

That one minute to play music is intense. Me gusta.

As far as I could tell from the videos, everything you do that gives you points (Assists, Kills, Distractions, etc.) counts towards the entire team's score.

It's only for infinity slayer though.

The developer commentaries are the only ones I can stand to watch, since they mix up the POV of the players. The mix of big ass maps that don't really know and small player count means a lot of wandering around and not a lot of action. I guess they thought that everybody would just be running around like a chicken with their head chopped off with sprint to make up for all the space, but they were wrong. When Ellis said 5v5 was the standard for Objective, I thought he was wacky, but now it's looking like that's gotta be a minimum.

Yeah for real man, felt the same exact way.

I also realized what makes the BR/any gun seem really underpowered to me, there seems like there's very little shield feedback in the videos when someone gets shot.

Sure you get your hit markers, but at least in Reach when you hit a guy they lit up like Vegas, and I really thought that helped gauge damage feedback.

I may seem like im complaining, but I'm just voicing my concerns in hopes that minor stuff like this will get fixed/improved on.

Farooq

Banned
Sure, I get that. However, the one thing they failed to take from CoD are fast kill times. I'm not calling for CoD kill-times, obviously, but these plodding, drawn out kill-times do a lot of damage to what would otherwise be an interesting, viable sandbox.

I was talking more about incorporating the philosophy behind CoD. Slow kill times benefit less skilled players, and that is who 343 has to cater to right now.

I guess my point was kind of muddled because they are taking some gameplay elements from CoD as well.

This needs to be addressed, Stinkles.

Agreed, that's definitely an issue that can be easily fixed in the final build, though.

I worried about the weapons on the map. Is it really just that one random weapon every few minutes? Can sword and rockets not spawn at the same time at the beginning of a match?

feel

My post E3 hype went down a bit after these vids.. too much Reach in there, plus the ridiculous Prometheus vision :(

But still hyped, gun sandbox looks awesome bloom aside.

BigShow36

I was talking more about incorporating the philosophy behind CoD. Slow kill times benefit less skilled players, and that is who 343 has to cater to right now.

Oh, I understand WHY they do it. It's just a really poor way of dealing with newer players.

My post E3 hype went down a bit after these vids.. too much Reach in there, plus the ridiculous Prometheus vision :(

Know that exact feel bro. Kinda let down. Hopefully the final build is a lot more fast paced and interesting.

Yeah Promethean vision really makes me nervous.
But damn, speed boost is going to result in some nasty multi kills.
Increased movement speed for ultimate strafe, plus increased reload and weapon switch speeds.

Woorloog

Banned

Graphical bloom or reticule bloom? Reticule bloom is purely visual as i understand, indicative of rate of fire, not like it works in Reach.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Know that exact feel bro. Kinda let down. Hopefully the final build is a lot more fast paced and interesting.

Maybe it was just me but I thought the videos looked very fast paced, compared to Reach. Maybe it was just because everyone was sprinting everywhere, but it looked so much easier to move around. That first commentary video especially.

Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom