• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
Hi all; first post! Would anyone be willing to make me an avatar of the wolf from the Neverending Story? If so, many thanks!

Also, Im happy to fill out the Junior Member survey, but it seems youre all exasperated with the junior flood right now, so Ill probably wait on that. Cheers!

Would you like some fries with that?

im pretty sure there was an expansion pack that came free with donkey kong 64 on the n64. i would also imagine its not expensive to produce 8gb memory sticks.

free memory cards is the only way.

the only way.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
But you never tell us anything! My playlists, my hard drive spaaaace! You don't love me!
ibbLdVI55qb9O6.gif

I don't see how wondering why 343 would intentionally withhold information as to why a playlist which was unrelated to TS and decidedly removed after a uninformative "poll" was taken(of which the data was not revealed!) and replaced with essentially another 4v4 TS playlist that plays slightly different from its vanilla counterpart and only fragments the player base more would equal whambulance.

Gui_PT

Hi all; first post! Would anyone be willing to make me an avatar of the wolf from the Neverending Story? If so, many thanks!

Also, Im happy to fill out the Junior Member survey, but it seems youre all exasperated with the junior flood right now, so Ill probably wait on that. Cheers!

Hi, why are you asking for favors in your first post?

I'm kidding, Overdoz1z can help you with your avatar.

Gray Man

Banned
im pretty sure there was an expansion pack that came free with donkey kong 64 on the n64. i would also imagine its not expensive to produce 8gb memory sticks.

free memory cards is the only way.

the only way.

I use extra flash drives and portable hard drives, I'm not sure why its such a big deal. Its CHEAPER than buying another 360 hard drive...

FyreWulff

Horseshit.

We didn't want Halo: Anniversary to cost $60. It's as simple as that. We were right up against the edge filling up the one disc we did ship. But by all means, continue spouting off about things you have no first-hand knowledge about.

The fact that Anniversary would have been 60$ with two discs is already public knowledge, same with the reason why H1A didn't have the H1 Gametype on the disc (because of no space left)

It's been acknowledged that 343 knows how many people are affected. 343 has then made a decision on it. 343 can now own the decision, and people are well within their right to gripe about it. I'm going to bitch about it because 343's ACTIONS, which rarely sync up with 343's words, have negatively affected me re: LAN already. As someone who helps an Enforcer run a Halo freeplay at PAX, Halo 2 and Halo 3 were GREAT because we had easy access to the maps and the title updates. For Halo 3, all we had to do was put an HDD on the host box if we wanted the Halo 3 1.1 changes.

Now we're left in situation for PAX Prime 2012 where we now have to decide which Reach we're going to have. HDDs are hard to get in so we might just be forced to roll with 1.0. Our options with 1.1 are to either get hard drives in for every box (pain in the ass, and still no DLC) or use Anniversary discs, and going with Anniversary discs means only Anniversary maps. With Halo 3: Mythic, we could use 4 Core 360s with the disc and we had all DLC and the title update. It was glorious.

My opinion is the decision to bring Anniversary to market at a lower price was made at the cost of an already existing game's playerbase. If you're so pressed for space, the decision should have been made to not even include Halo: Reach Multiplayer on the disc, and just include the code, because as the Frankie post said, most people playing multiplayer have Gold. Reach would have been WAY better off if this decision had been made. We wouldn't have had the silly redundant playlists, and we'd actually be able to have Forge World remakes of non-Anni maps in Team Classic along with the Anni maps.

We hear "Halo 4 will have streamlined multiplayer", then 343 shovels as many playlists as they can onto Reach. We hear "Default Reach will remain Default" and mere months later, Default Reach players were left with a mere two playlists, once of which requires all DLC to even play. I see 343 choose to negatively impact LAN with their Reach title update, then I'm supposed to give 343 the benefit of the doubt on the non-Gold community going forward?

I'll admit right now I used some harsh words, and I apologize for that right now (I should have said "it feels like 343 doesn't care" instead of "343 doesn't give a shit" for example), since it's probably not a good idea to engage in a lively conversation while under the stress of moving countries. My base criticisms remain though. I am aware of the benefits that this decision has. I'm not yet convinced of the trade off that it incurs.

Fyrewulff justice. So good.

.map all over again

I wonder if you even understood the .map situation

hydranockz is it whambulance? yes or not

I completed QWOP last night, no whambulance needed.

343 withold information.

Example A: Squid Slayer and the reasoning/data surrounding its removal.

Example B: Details surrounding the 8GB requirement.

Boom. Them be the facts. Seriously. There is no slurping. Just facts. Yet, people laugh at Fyre when he gets shot down. Should we laugh at people still asking for info on Squad Slayer?

I completed QWOP last night, no whambulance needed.

343 withold information.

Example A: Squid Slayer and the reasoning/data surrounding its removal.

Example B: Details surrounding the 8GB requirement.

Boom. Them be the facts. Seriously. There is no slurping. Just facts. Yet, people laugh at Fyre when he gets shot down. Should we laugh at people still asking for info on Squad Slayer?

image.php

Lolololololol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Actually Fyrewulff's subsequent post shows legitimate concern over the state of Reach and the handling of its DLC and TU. Hardly shot down, IMO.

And yes I'd still like to know about the awkward decision making surrounding TS, the TU and Squad and how it was decided that removing a 5v5 playlist and creating a 4v4 playlist with a misnomer was a good idea. Things like that as well as Shotty Snipers are things that I will not let go of.

Actually Fyrewulff's subsequent post shows legitimate concern over the state of Reach and the handling of its DLC and TU. Hardly shot down, IMO.

And yes I'd still like to know about the awkward decision making surrounding TS, the TU and Squad. Things like that as well as Shotty Snipers are things that I will not let go of.

So what? Does that change what I said in any way? 343 still haven't revealed anything. Them be the facts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The playlist set-up is the one thing I am most uneasy about for Halo 4, and Wulf's post sums up a bit of why. Although I can manage with the idea that there are serious reasons behind the Reach playlist management post-Bungie that we are unaware of, and give them the benefit of the doubt for Halo 4's playlists.

I just don't want to see 30 playlists in Halo 4. There should be like 10, max.

Fyrewulff, Considering the trade off I'm tempted to say that it's a non issue, seems to only affect pax, it would be like bitching at 343 if they didnt support vinyl record players as audio output devices. At the end of the day most people will either have a hard drive and be able to download the TU or never play online in which case it's unlikely that the TU will affect them. Sure they can't play those settings on LAN, but that's a very specific scenario effecting a small subset of people, I imagine that the positive outweighs the negative, and the only people thrown under a bus are the people going to pax. Although I'm also tempted to say that it's not impossible for pax to change its processes, so you can't totally blame 343, most events would allow for use of hard drives in that scenario.

343 isnt perfect though, I dont know what hydras been smoking but there's more that those 2 issues he's mentioned that they have done a poor job explaining. Plywood covered it, but why do you mock over for asking questions hydra?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So what? Does that change what I said in any way? 343 still haven't revealed anything. Them be the facts.
Yes, as you say 343 hasn't spoken on anything and that's kinda the problem. Now this:
But you never tell us anything! My playlists, my hard drive spaaaace! You don't love me!
This is your post in which you use a mocking tone at those who have legitimate concerns regarding the state of Reach and how it could show how Halo 4 will be handled.

As lybertyboy states we have "no first-hand knowledge", no first-hand knowledge regarding any of our concerns surrounding the game. So we raise them, maybe in hopes they'll be answered, maybe just to vent, maybe even just to joke to pass time. You see, what I'm saying is: How does having reasonable and valid concerns equate to whining(as per your post)? Is it just because 343 hasn't said anything? That doesn't mean we can't ask.

Akai__

Playing Halo Reach Big Team Battle right now, shoot me a message or an invite, (GT CrazY CroaTia) if you want to play, too. We can also play something else, if you want.

FyreWulff

Also if HDD space is required, if you pull the flash drive out while matchmaking on the voting screen, it should give you a 15 minute ban.

So fucking annoying when people did that in Halo 3 (not as much as Reach, but I've seen it happen). They get a map they don't like and they pull out the flash drive, which makes Halo 3/Reach go "The maps disappeared! NEW VOTING SCREEN". Same when you run into people that can't load Forge World in Grifball. Then you know one of the teams is gonna be fucked.

Before I guess there'd be a bit of leeway since people could be running the game off disc. If everyone is loading content off a HDD or flash drive though, they have no excuse.

Yes, as you say 343 hasn't spoken on anything and that's kinda the problem. Now this:

This is your post in which you use a mocking tone at those who have legitimate concerns regarding the state of Reach and how it could show how Halo 4 will be handled.

As lybertyboy states we have "no first-hand knowledge", no first-hand knowledge regarding any of our concerns surrounding the game. So we raise them, maybe in hopes they'll be answered, maybe just to vent, maybe even just to joke to pass time. You see, what I'm saying is: How does having reasonable and valid concerns equate to whining(as per your post)? Is it just because 343 hasn't said anything? That doesn't mean we can't ask.

Well, that's certainly one way to keep GroundhogGaf happy then. By all means, keep asking the same questions over and over again and keep getting the same answers (or lack thereof) over and over again.

If 343 want to answer a question, they will. If they can't, they won't. This whole constant asking the same questions reeks of the good ole "Are we there yet?" scenario. We won't 'be there' until we get there. 343, or anyone who has ever purposefully witheld information will divulge when and if they are allowed to. The programmer in me notes the similarity between this situation and an if loop chcking, always checking, at every iteration, to see if it can execute yet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm really hoping ComicCon has some MP news or a "Vidoc." We need to get HaloGaf back on track. Someone complain about grenades and stairs or something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well, that's certainly one way to keep GroundhogGaf happy then. By all means, keep asking the same questions over and over again and keep getting the same answers (or lack thereof) over and over again.

If 343 want to answer a question, they will. If they can't, they won't. This whole constant asking the same questions reeks of the good ole "Are we there yet?" scenario. We won't 'be there' until we get there. 343, or anyone who has ever purposefully witheld information will divulge when and if they are allowed to. The programmer in me notes the similarity between this situation and an if loop chcking, always checking, at every iteration, to see if it can execute yet.
This thread is on repeat regardless. Besides if we don't ask those questions or continue to raise those concerns we'll just get people in here talking about how the latest movie they saw sucked shit or more FootSoccerball talk.

Coux

Neo Member
Also if HDD space is required, if you pull the flash drive out while matchmaking on the voting screen, it should give you a 15 minute ban.

So fucking annoying when people did that in Halo 3 (not as much as Reach, but I've seen it happen). They get a map they don't like and they pull out the flash drive, which makes Halo 3/Reach go "The maps disappeared! NEW VOTING SCREEN". Same when you run into people that can't load Forge World in Grifball. Then you know one of the teams is gonna be fucked.

Before I guess there'd be a bit of leeway since people could be running the game off disc. If everyone is loading content off a HDD or flash drive though, they have no excuse.

Surprisingly, it still happens a fair amount in Reach. More than I'd expect. Luckily, it's mostly with randoms.

Overdoziz

Banned

The moment Super Slayer stops being a terrible playlist compared to Squad Slayer I'll stop asking for clarification.

This thread is on repeat regardless. Besides if we don't ask those questions or continue to raise those concerns we'll just get people in here talking about how the latest movie they saw sucked shit or more FootSoccerball talk.

I would prefer that each OT differ at least a little bit besides the thread change but hey, that's just me.

GhaleonEB

Okay, now I'm gonna have to look this up.

Likewise.

The 8 GB thing is unfortunate for those with OG or 4 GB systems. My original system finally frying a few years ago has been quite the blessing, since I snagged a 250 GB to replace it.

Is this the "map failed to load" error? I get that often in Doubles; after three instances the other player gets booted, but sometimes it seems like they're using it to override my vote.

heckfu

Banned
I would prefer that each OT differ at least a little bit besides the thread change but hey, that's just me.

Then what are your suggestions? You make points that we're on repeat, we have to stop asking the same questions, we have to quit being Overdoz1z, but what do you want instead?

If you can, I can take a personal vow of HaloGAF silence until new information appears as to not infringe on being repetitive if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom