• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibnZGbWqJwhXiO.gif

Dat strafe.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Button combos causing a HaloGAF civil war, programmed randomness being bullshit, people playing Halo 3 ODST for whatever the fuck reason, and kylej making me choke on pop.

Oh, and and me making a joke about the MP fiction that about 10 people took seriously.

So nothing? Got it

Where's that gif from? That looks new...and fuckin awesome

JonCha

1-50 is already confirmed not to be in :(

frankie just said he didn't like it. that may equate to not being in the final game, but we don't know that.

just trying to stay optimistic :/

I'd like to know why he didn't like it, because they better come up with something better if true. I don't get what's bad about the Halo 2 system where winning more games equals levelling up, without the TrueSkill BS.

The way Frank went off on it, you thought there was any hope? Besides, they're looking at a few things.

I didn't have any hopes after how Frankie talked about it. But yeah, I'm still hoping for a good replacement but I don't have any high hopes

Source?

Also, thank you based Frank.

Frankie made some posts a few OT's back about why ranked was so flawed in halo 3. From his tone, I thought it was safe to assume ranked from Halo 3 isn't coming back for Halo 4.

Risen

Honestly I don't care how nerfed it gets, Promothean Vision is just bad. It may be fun for casual play, but I don't to see it in anything competitive No slot should be wasted for it or to counter it either. I really hope MLG gets early extended hands on with the game so we can get a MLG Playlist up as soon as possible...

Not sure how likely that is...

I definitely hope for a return of the Hardcore playlist at release. For both Objective and Slayer game types.

Precision Weapon start
No radar
Limited AA/Specialization
Weapons on static spawns
Power ups as pick-ups

Obj:

Objective juggling on
Transparent hill for KoTH
Non-random hill moves
Two-hit objective beat downs

feel

Haven't been paying attention to halogaf, where did that thruster gif come from, looks badass. Also someone post the top 5 kylej hilarious truth bomb slapdowns from the past 24h.

PV fo lief.
of course you would program a super crutch into the game

Ranked

Barebones (this will be MLG either by name or carbon copy of what they are using atm)
Infinity Slayer
Objective
SWAT
Snipe

Social

BTB
Infinity Slayer
Lone Wolves
Multi-Team

Weekly Alternating. Grif, Zombies. The usual.

Since Windows LIVE is being a bitch to me it'd be nice if someone posted this for me, haters gonna hate and all...

We already know Elites are not in which means no Invasion as we know it in H4, assumming H4 uses the Megalo engine have you guys considered releasing a gametype (both at launch or after launch) which relied on some of the aspects which made invasion great?

That's spawning on your bro, unlocking new weapons, vehicles, abilities...expanding maps, objectives and slayer carnage

Pls, can't check if someone already did it, will just shut up now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
BPR doesn't mean much, if I went into Living Dead for a day, my BPR would be in the thousands. On the other end, if I played MLG for a day, my BPR would be very low

GhaleonEB

So if you had visual confirmation of what sort of add-ons your enemy was using, you'd be okay with the additions? (I'm not saying you WILL have that confirmation - I'm just curious about what's making you uncomfortable - the variety, or simply the uncertainty in what you're facing. I know that things like powerups are pretty obvious - I don't know about Tactical Packages, and how much external indication they'll get.)

Let me put it this way. What if there was a specialization that gave players stronger shields? Then that five shot BR you're using is a five shot on some guys, and a six shot on others. It means getting into a BR fight with someone without realizing it's not a fair fight. It means the understanding you have about the rules of the game and your own capabilities versus your opponents goes out the window, and you never know when you engage someone if that's a good idea or not.

That's not too far off from faster recharging shields. It's one of those foundational rules of the game: I know how high this guy jumps, I know how many shots I need to put on him to drop him, and I know how long I have until his shields return. Only, some guys will recharge faster than others now, and the only way to find out who is who is to get an unhappy surprise.

Now as I said, to a degree this has always been in Halo (surprise! I has rockets). But I'm finding that there's a line I'm uncomfortable with crossing, and things like the faster shield recharge is a ways across it. It's exactly the kind of thing I got nervous about when specializations were announced. Different people draw the line at different points; I think I'm pretty far down the line to being readily accepting of the changing nature of Halo. But there's definitely a line at which I get uncomfortable, and we're up against it in some ways with what Halo 4 is doing (on just a few elements; I like a lot of what 343 is up to).

I'm still not sure yet how to fully articulate exactly where that line is. It has to do with knowing that everyone on the battlefield is playing by the same set of rules. They can get some different toys, but they are bound to the same set of base rules we all follow. But some of the specializations feel like they are shifting into letting players tinker with the base rules they have to follow.

How about a perk to let you jump go higher? Or carry a 3rd weapon? Or dual wield rocket launchers? These are all over that line, but to varying degrees. It's the same feeling I had when I saw Armor Lock in action for the first time, understanding what it meant for gameplay. Giving some players faster recharging shields - or some the ability to pick up grenades - crosses it as well. That base set of rules isn't just changing, we're to the point where players are starting to be able to pick their own. Obviously I'm going to play it - a lot - to see how it goes. But I am really very nervous about how it will play out.

daedalius

Faster recharging shields just means they recharge faster once they start to charge, so like 4.5 seconds instead of 5.

It doesn't affect how soon they start coming back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You know what HaloGAF needs? A 4v4 tournament. Seriously.

Would be awesome. Would anyone actually want to do this?
That'd be cool, but I think we'd need divisions. We're not all Tashi levels of scrublordness. Divide people up in divisions based on K/D, BPR, and/or something else? Give the teams a month to practice, and then start the tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom