• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Wu

Yet I too am uncomfortable with some of the packages announced. Things like a player you're fighting being able to recharge his shields faster than I really even adds more chance to how encounters play out. It's yet another set of X factors on top of weapons, grenades and armor abilities. I think it's reasonable to be worried about them, especially some of the specific examples. My worry about the ability for some players to recharge their shields faster than I does not mean I want to play a boring game.
So if you had visual confirmation of what sort of add-ons your enemy was using, you'd be okay with the additions? (I'm not saying you WILL have that confirmation - I'm just curious about what's making you uncomfortable - the variety, or simply the uncertainty in what you're facing. I know that things like powerups are pretty obvious - I don't know about Tactical Packages, and how much external indication they'll get.)

Tawpgun

YES. This is the good kind of random in Halo. It's stuff like this that made me fall in love with the series originally.

I agree. Stuff like that I can get behind...

But there is a limit. Inducing randomness into gunplay, turning it into rock paper scissors... that's bad.

Those cool moments in Halo happen because the gameplay is so simple. What's funnier, I RAN DOWN THAT HALLWAY TO CHASE THAT GUY AND GUESS WHAT. HE HAD THE GRENADE PICK UP PERK AND KILLED ME LOL.

Or

I RAND DOWN THAT HALLWAY TO CHASE THAT GUY, AND SHOT A FUSION COIL CAUSING A CONE TO KILL ME LOL.

The first is an example of frustration.

Another example would be in regards to Hogs. I for one love it when a hog gets sent into the air and splatters someone on the way down. But that's no excuse for making the Hogs in Reach so flimsy under DMR fire.

kylej

Banned
I don't need fiction written around Halo multiplayer. Splitting an obese 12 year old's wig with the snipe is poetic enough.

CyReN

i'll answer these for you the way they'll be answered:

1) We will reveal more about modes in the future.

2) There will be news about systems soon.

3) We will reveal news regarding controls sometime in the future.

4) We will reveal player customization options soon.

5) Things will return from previous Halo games.

It doesn't hurt to ask, you never know since E3 is over they may be more open to answering some.

i'll answer these for you the way they'll be answered:

1) We will reveal more about modes in the future.

2) There will be news about systems soon.

3) We will reveal news regarding controls sometime in the future.

4) We will reveal player customization options soon.

5) Things will return from previous Halo games.

Haha, pretty much.

But yeah, it doesn't hurt to ask, Cyren.

I agree. Stuff like that I can get behind...

But there is a limit. Inducing randomness into gunplay, turning it into rock paper scissors... that's bad.

Those cool moments in Halo happen because the gameplay is so simple. What's funnier, I RAN DOWN THAT HALLWAY TO CHASE THAT GUY AND GUESS WHAT. HE HAD THE GRENADE PICK UP PERK AND KILLED ME LOL.

Or

I RAND DOWN THAT HALLWAY TO CHASE THAT GUY, AND SHOT A FUSION COIL CAUSING A CONE TO KILL ME LOL.

The first is an example of frustration.

Another example would be in regards to Hogs. I for one love it when a hog gets sent into the air and splatters someone on the way down. But that's no excuse for making the Hogs in Reach so flimsy under DMR fire.

Yeah I don't really find physics based stuff, even if it's rare, some awful random mechanic.

By random, I mean random behavior of weapons (Reach), random weapon spawns (H4).

Hopefully now that were on the other side of E3, 343 was starting answer questions about the game instead of answering a question by raising 4 more questions/trust us.

Holy shit, do you guys like to yammer on like a bunch of toothless grannies at a Pinochle game. Did I miss anything beyond the MLG footage and the subsequent shitstorm of worries? I can't go through 20 pages, fuck that. When is the sparkcast coming?

Pretty often in Firefight Doubles (Arcadefight), my partner will spawn with rockets, immediately commit suicide, then spawn with the FRG so they can jetpack around with rockets and the FRG at the same time.

Yesterday that happened, and I just picked up the guy's rockets. Partly to see what would happen, partly because I just sort of went, hay cool! Rockets. I can use those.

The reaction was entertaining enough that I'll have to keep that on my Firefight to-do list.
Haha, I do this in Doubles all the time when I see my 'partner' start grenading himself. Even better when the map is one where I can just throw it over a cliff while he's shooting me with his impotent gun.

I laughed at the notion that you had to clarify which pop you choked on for some reason.

Hey, I like that Ryaaaaaaaaan painted an elaborate picture of what happened to him for us. I really felt like I was there.

Holy shit, do you guys like to yammer on like a bunch of toothless grannies at a Pinochle game. Did I miss anything beyond the MLG footage and the subsequent shitstorm of worries? I can't go through 20 pages, fuck that. When is the sparkcast coming?

You didn't miss anything. Although Ryaaaaaaaaaaaaan did give us a detailed account of him reading a post.

Karl2177

Yeah I don't really find physics based stuff, even if it's rare, some awful random mechanic.

By random, I mean random behavior of weapons (Reach), random weapon spawns (H4).

Hopefully now that were on the other side of E3, 343 was starting answer questions about the game instead of answer a question by raising 4 more questions/trust us.
Programmable randomness versus coincidental randomness. One is good, one is not.

Try to get the 32 regular cubes. But for the sake of sanity, use a guide for the 32 anti-cubes.

Unless you have a hard on for solving cryptic puzzles and decrypting glyphs

Wouldn't using a guide for a puzzle game get rid of the whole point of playing the game? I have a friend who bought a guide for Portal 2, and my response was "why did you buy Portal 2"

Try to get the 32 regular cubes. But for the sake of sanity, use a guide for the 32 anti-cubes.

Unless you have a hard on for solving cryptic puzzles and decrypting glyphs
I have like 6-8 anti-cubes already, 25 regular cubes. I have no idea what this dude's crazy language says, and I don't want to go through the whole game again looking for owls. Should I just go to the end and try for the rest of it in New Game+?

Wouldn't using a guide for a puzzle game get rid of the whole point of playing the game? I have a friend who bought a guide for Portal 2, and my response was "why did you buy Portal 2"
You don't know the level of some of the puzzles. I looked up one already, and the solution is to look at two flashing dots, translate that into binary, translate that into hexidecimal, and then translate that into ASCII to figure out what it's saying. That level of insanity.

Trey

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ing-headsets-coming-courtesy-of-mad-catz.aspx

Mad Catz Halo 4 headsets coming. I guess it's worth posting in here...

Not too keen on their quality though.

Ya slacking Vire. That's ancient news in internet time. The HaloGAF cycle already ran through to completion about that headset. Man, what do we keep you around for?

ha

At work at my desk and choked on my Aquafina because of this.

Hey man, the environment is suffering so that you may drink your negligibly cleaner bottled water. /haddasaniearlier

Tawpgun

Wouldn't using a guide for a puzzle game get rid of the whole point of playing the game?

Just exploring the world is good enough. Some puzzles I got on my own.

But some are just stupid hard and complicated. I can appreciate them. But it would be obnoxious solving them unless you really love that stuff.

I have like 6-8 anti-cubes already, 25 regular cubes. I have no idea what this dude's crazy language says, and I don't want to go through the whole game again looking for owls. Should I just go to the end and try for the rest of it in New Game+?
I beat the game with a little over 32 cubes total. No guide used aside from a few from the fez thread here.

Then New Game +'d and got the rest of the anti-cubes using a guide. You need New Game + to get some anticubes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But you guys hate that grenades can be shot in hand or in the air.
Ehh, I see what you're getting at, but somehow I don't find that funny. When that happens to me, it's usually annoying at best and frustrating as hell at worst. Same for things not passing through the flag pole in CTF.

Trey

No, I don't hate that.

Hey, me either!

Programmed randomness. I don't find it funny at all when it happens to me or someone else.

But a vehicle wreck splattering someone or me is always funny.

It's not programmed randomness. It's shooting a grenade out of the air, with the bullets you aimed, whether you meant to or not.

Ehh, I see what you're getting at, but somehow I don't find that funny. When that happens to me, it's usually annoying at best and frustrating as hell at worst. Same for things not passing through the flag pole in CTF.

I don't mind either of those elements. You could do them if you had the reaction time and godlike dexterity to pull them off. The game doesn't just decide to have grenades blow up: the action is dependent upon player input.

People hate that? I love it.

Yo, where were you guys when I was campaigning for it to return in H4? I thought I was alone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey, me either!

It's not programmed randomness. It's shooting a grenade out of the air, with the bullets you aimed, whether you meant to or not.

I don't mind either of those elements. You could do them if you had the reaction time and godlike dexterity to pull them off. The game doesn't just decide to have grenades blow up: the action is dependent upon player input.

Yo, where were you guys when I was campaigning for it to return in H4? I thought I was alone.

It's in Halo 4. I saw it earlier when I was looking for a Global ordinance drop for Over.

Trey

It's in Halo 4. I saw it earlier when I was looking for a Global ordinance drop for Over.

Yeah, I saw. I can see where its detractors are coming from, and why they think it's random. But it's not actually random, and is so exceedingly rare that in my eyes they deserve the kill even if they didn't really mean to do it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't haaaaate it. It's just more annoying than funny often times. I don't really care if it stays in the game. I only rarely see it anyways.

Besides, N00bs is giving me lessons on how to shoot grenades in mid-air.

Vire

Ya slacking Vire. That's ancient news in internet time. The HaloGAF cycle already ran through to completion about that headset. Man, what do we keep you around for?

ha

Hey man, the environment is suffering so that you may drink your negligibly cleaner bottled water. /haddasaniearlier

:lol I should have known it was here already...

Trey

I gotcha kittens. Like I said, I can see why you find it annoying. I just happen not to mind it. I wouldn't lose sleep if it was axed from the game, but I feel I would prefer to have it included than not.

1-50 is already confirmed not to be in :(

The way Frank went off on it, you thought there was any hope? Besides, they're looking at a few things.

Kibbles

Honestly I don't care how nerfed it gets, Promothean Vision is just bad. It may be fun for casual play, but I don't to see it in anything competitive No slot should be wasted for it or to counter it either. I really hope MLG gets early extended hands on with the game so we can get a MLG Playlist up as soon as possible...

Ryaaan14

Banned
Last 3 days have been nuts. What have I missed?

Button combos causing a HaloGAF civil war, programmed randomness being bullshit, people playing Halo 3 ODST for whatever the fuck reason, and kylej making me choke on pop.

Oh, and and me making a joke about the MP fiction that about 10 people took seriously.

CyReN

Honestly I don't care how nerfed it gets, Promothean Vision is just bad. It may be fun for casual play, but I don't to see it in anything competitive No slot should be wasted for it or to counter it either. I really hope MLG gets early extended hands on with the game so we can get a MLG Playlist up as soon as possible...

A week isn't going to be a huge difference in game testing, I just hope it isn't started with just DMR/BR and scrap the rest.

The only good thing that will come out of PV is a Predator gametype. Just imagine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom