• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
good luck deciding the teams

I'd do a draft. Get a list of everyone's relevant stats and compile a list. Then I'll pick team captains, then the draft ensues. If we have even teams, this would be so awesome.

^edit: Depending on how many people sign up, we'd do that as well.

But seriously, let's do this!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd do a draft. Get a list of everyone's relevant stats and compile a list. Then I'll pick team captains, then the draft ensues. If we have even teams, this would be so awesome.
Sounds awesome. I'd be down to help organize it. :-D

heckfu

Banned

Actually, a draft wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As long as you split up the better players as captains (Juices, Over, Louis Wu) we'd be ok.

My schedule's pretty crazy a lot of the time but I'd be more than up for it.

Its almost impossible to get 8 destined people to be free at the same time. Yes you can gather 8 sometimes for some BTB but if you need exact players...

You'd have to do some schedule gridding, even then two teams might matchup that have no possible meeting time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Frank or Ellis would donate some swag for the winners.
Make it a 343 hoodie and Hypertrooper would suddenly become pro tier.

Its almost impossible to get 8 destined people to be free at the same time. Yes you can gather 8 sometimes for some BTB but if you need exact players...

You'd have to do some schedule gridding, even then two teams might matchup that have no possible meeting time.
Doodle.com is useful for schedule gridding.

All I want to know is if I can buy that Didact shirt in the near future.
Which one?

Also, someone did this already?

Since Windows LIVE is being a bitch to me it'd be nice if someone posted this for me, haters gonna hate and all...

We already know Elites are not in which means no Invasion as we know it in H4, assumming H4 uses the Megalo engine have you guys considered releasing a gametype (both at launch or after launch) which relied on some of the aspects which made invasion great?

That's spawning on your bro, unlocking new weapons, vehicles, abilities...expanding maps, objectives and slayer carnage

Fracas

#fuckonami

Believe in something, man!

Louis Wu

Let me put it this way. What if there was a specialization that gave players stronger shields? Then that five shot BR you're using is a five shot on some guys, and a six shot on others. It means getting into a BR fight with someone without realizing it's not a fair fight. It means the understanding you have about the rules of the game and your own capabilities versus your opponents goes out the window, and you never know when you engage someone if that's a good idea or not.

That's not too far off from faster recharging shields. It's one of those foundational rules of the game: I know how high this guy jumps, I know how many shots I need to put on him to drop him, and I know how long I have until his shields return. Only, some guys will recharge faster than others now, and the only way to find out who is who is to get an unhappy surprise.

Now as I said, to a degree this has always been in Halo (surprise! I has rockets). But I'm finding that there's a line I'm uncomfortable with crossing, and things like the faster shield recharge is a ways across it. It's exactly the kind of thing I got nervous about when specializations were announced. Different people draw the line at different points; I think I'm pretty far down the line to being readily accepting of the changing nature of Halo. But there's definitely a line at which I get uncomfortable, and we're up against it in some ways with what Halo 4 is doing (on just a few elements; I like a lot of what 343 is up to).

I'm still not sure yet how to fully articulate exactly where that line is. It has to do with knowing that everyone on the battlefield is playing by the same set of rules. They can get some different toys, but they are bound to the same set of base rules we all follow. But some of the specializations feel like they are shifting into letting players tinker with the base rules they have to follow.

How about a perk to let you jump go higher? Or carry a 3rd weapon? Or dual wield rocket launchers? These are all over that line, but to varying degrees. It's the same feeling I had when I saw Armor Lock in action for the first time, understanding what it meant for gameplay. Giving some players faster recharging shields - or some the ability to pick up grenades - crosses it as well. That base set of rules isn't just changing, we're to the point where players are starting to be able to pick their own. Obviously I'm going to play it - a lot - to see how it goes. But I am really very nervous about how it will play out.
I can see where you're coming from - and I can see why it makes you nervous. But for me, it's ALWAYS been like this - even with stock vanilla Halo (is there such a thing?).

Say I'm fighting someone, and I have help. I get two shots put on me, and because of the help, the other guy dies. I turn to round a corner, and there's a guy in front of me. I have NO IDEA how much health he has - if he's been in a battle recently, if he's fresh, any of that - but I know that I'm down two shots. But he's facing away from me. Do I take the chance and start shooting him, hoping that I get enough shots into him before he turns that I have a chance of winning the battle (even if he's fresh)... or do I fade away and wait until my shields are back up?

The answer to this question has ALWAYS been variable for me. Do I feel 'on' in this game? Do I have host? Am I running low on ammo anyway? There are a million variables, and I process them in every encounter, mostly by instinct.

To me, a faster recharge (it's not hugely faster), a larger ammo clip (it's not hugely larger), the ability to pick up grenades (there probably aren't even grenades to pick up in the area we're fighting, statistically) - all of these things are just more uncertainties in a sea of uncertainties. LIFE is uncertain. I just play.

(I totally understand that I might be in a minority with these opinions - that most (thinking) players might want a bit more concreteness in their Haloverse. I'm okay with that, too. ;) )

Risen

Let me put it this way. What if there was a specialization that gave players stronger shields? Then that five shot BR you're using is a five shot on some guys, and a six shot on others. It means getting into a BR fight with someone without realizing it's not a fair fight. It means the understanding you have about the rules of the game and your own capabilities versus your opponents goes out the window, and you never know when you engage someone if that's a good idea or not.

That's not too far off from faster recharging shields. It's one of those foundational rules of the game: I know how high this guy jumps, I know how many shots I need to put on him to drop him, and I know how long I have until his shields return. Only, some guys will recharge faster than others now, and the only way to find out who is who is to get an unhappy surprise.

Now as I said, to a degree this has always been in Halo (surprise! I has rockets). But I'm finding that there's a line I'm uncomfortable with crossing, and things like the faster shield recharge is a ways across it. It's exactly the kind of thing I got nervous about when specializations were announced. Different people draw the line at different points; I think I'm pretty far down the line to being readily accepting of the changing nature of Halo. But there's definitely a line at which I get uncomfortable, and we're up against it in some ways with what Halo 4 is doing (on just a few elements; I like a lot of what 343 is up to).

I'm still not sure yet how to fully articulate exactly where that line is. It has to do with knowing that everyone on the battlefield is playing by the same set of rules. They can get some different toys, but they are bound to the same set of base rules we all follow. But some of the specializations feel like they are shifting into letting players tinker with the base rules they have to follow.

How about a perk to let you jump go higher? Or carry a 3rd weapon? Or dual wield rocket launchers? These are all over that line, but to varying degrees. It's the same feeling I had when I saw Armor Lock in action for the first time, understanding what it meant for gameplay. Giving some players faster recharging shields - or some the ability to pick up grenades - crosses it as well. That base set of rules isn't just changing, we're to the point where players are starting to be able to pick their own. Obviously I'm going to play it - a lot - to see how it goes. But I am really very nervous about how it will play out.

Careful Ghal... you are espousing competitive ideals, and I like it.

Yeah, that will almost assuredly become a problem.

Ramirez

You know what HaloGAF needs? A 4v4 tournament. Seriously.

Would be awesome. Would anyone actually want to do this?

I've tried this before, it didnt pan out well at all. Getting 8 people on at the same time is near impossible on a consistent basis. My advice would be smaller teams than 4v4.

It's a shame because the Madden league is my favorite part of GAF, it's really rewarding if people will put the time into it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've tried this before, it didnt pan out well at all. Getting 8 people on at the same time is near impossible on a consistent basis. My advice would be smaller teams than 4v4.

It's a shame because the Madden league is my favorite part of GAF, it's really rewarding if people will put the time into it.

We could pare it down to 3v3. Maybe 2v2, but that may be too small.

Actually, a draft wouldn't be a bad idea at all. As long as you split up the better players as captains (Juices, Over, Louis Wu) we'd be ok.

Depends on how large halotourney2012™GAF gets, but four main groups with subdivisions made of four-man teams could work. Example:

House of Wolves
Captain: Juices
Team Alpha: juices, etc

House of Nancy
Captain: Over
Team Delicious Tears: over, Kyle, etc

House of Lore
Captain: Louis Wu
Team Cool Storyline Bro: kittens, franklinator, etc

House of Exiles
Captain: Devolution
Team Cryptum: Devo, timedog, easyb, etc.

Korosenai

I was part of a 3v3 kid icarus online tournament and that took a while to finish.

Though this could work out better considering halo has a bigger community and it is summer. The kid icarus tournament took place during college finals.

I think the most people lost interests in Reach. Personally I'm getting Diablo 3 in two weeks and good bye Halo till Halo 4 I think.

Edit.: What I am trying to say: To do a tourney at this life time will be problematic to execute.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I have to go run errands, but consider this: any suggestions for the gametype/version of Reach/maps/team size?

I cast my vote for 4v4 slayer (if we can get past scheduling, if not 3v3 is ok with me) with TU Arena settings, no Forge maps outside of Refuge.

edit: Also, post if you want in. If enough people want to do this, kittens and I will start compiling lists of all entrants with their relevant stats.

Ramirez

Have you ever heard of... World of Warcraft?

The difference being that most people play together for a long time before they start raiding and have a set schedule. With this, you'd have to randomize the teams and probably end up with people who never play together being on the same team. People are also driven by loot in WoW, and this would be for the Halo Honor.

I think the most people lost interests in Reach. Personally I'm getting Diablo 3 in two weeks and good bye Halo till Halo 4 I think.

Edit.: What I am trying to say: To do a tourney at this life time will be problematic to execute.

This is also a good point, something like this would probably work best during Halo 4's first few months of life. You might even have enough interest then to do a real league that spanned a few months. The one I tried was kind of in the middle of Halo 3's prime and still fizzled out. =\

We could pare it down to 3v3. Maybe 2v2, but that may be too small.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246322&highlight=halo+tournament

There's my thread for reference, interest started out really strong, but a few stragglers kept it from happening ultimately. I will say that a lot of the people on those teams weren't nearly as active as most of you all seem to be.

edit: Also, post if you want in. If enough people want to do this, kittens and I will start compiling lists of all entrants with their relevant stats.

Entrant

Franklinator

Stats and Analysis

1.25 K/D, scrublord extraordinaire. Likes to kill himself with his own grenades. Valid tactics to fight him include:

• Double melee
  • Stand still and he probably won't notice you
  • Throw him off guard by listing lazily to the left
  • Shoot at him right when he scopes in and he'll go in an infinite scope-descope loop
  • When he uses the sniper, that's your chance to get the easy kill
  • Can, and will, waste all 4 rockets
  • Not very formidable, you can just poke him with a pillow and he'll die

Ryaaan14

Banned
I have to go run errands, but consider this: any suggestions for the gametype/version of Reach/maps/team size?

I cast my vote for 4v4 slayer (if we can get past scheduling, if not 3v3 is ok with me) with TU Arena settings, no Forge maps outside of Refuge.

4v4 Slayer is pretty much obligatory.

And I'm in, for the lulz of course.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd prefer zero bloom, but I'd be okay with 85%. I'd want MLG versions of some maps for sure, too. Especially Countdown.

Should it be just slayer, or objective, too?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
me, 13-5, +8
teammate A, 2-18, -16
teammate B, 2-15, -13
teammate C, 1-14, -13

<3 reach

Would you be down with zero bloom, but with the regular Halo sandbox?

This seems perfect, maybe with increased speed.

Also, just brainstorming here:

maybe an "escalating" tourney? Where it has (for the sake of this example) 32 players total divided throughout 4 separate major teams. It starts out 1v1, then works its way to 2v2, then 3v3, then 4v4 to decide who the best players of each 8-man team are, and the four "captains" have to fight the other "captain" teams in the semifinals.

Kind of funny that you are planning already if there is a big interest for the tourney. Maybe you should ask who has interest. :)

I think a general thread on the idea (if allowed) would invite a lot of interest. Would be fun if organised well and possibility of some GAF streams and swag, etc.

Korosenai

Ive never played with anyone from halogaf, but id be down for it.

Edit: if we got enough people, id say do an ffa style tourney to pick team captains (something that can be completed in one night), and then go from there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
me, 13-5, +8
teammate A, 2-18, -16
teammate B, 2-15, -13
teammate C, 1-14, -13

<3 reach

I sound like Teammate A-C after starting to play Reach again. I'm getting my ass kicked in almost every game I play.

[edit]

Playing without anyone on my party probably isn't helping, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom