• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't taken a close look at Haven yet. The past few days I've been playing with Unity so I can finally mock up a prototype of my multiplayer stealth game concept that I've been designing for a little under a year. ;) Unity is MUCH easier than I expected... I only started playing with it because that is the program we are using for Game Dev 2 this fall. So thanks to that I've been distracted. I've got to put out a new mindful cartography vid tomorrow though so I may do it during that time.

When I find the time I will definitely be mocking them up in sketchup because I plan to use them for Mindful Cartography to encourage theoretical analysis of a map that is guaranteed to hit a large audience to help compare first impression play vs veteran play. Theoretical analysis definitely helps with planning maps and having two maps to analyze before they are actually played on a large scale is going to really help gauge where their analysis skills lie once we see how Haven and Adrift are played a few months after release. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play once people learn the maps to see how close my theories are to how it will be played. Of course that is just initial theories. Once I have the maps drafted in Sketchup I will be able to get a better feel of them.

Gotta keep practicing if I'm ever going to land a designer job in 343i or Bungie.

Do you have Unity pro? I've got a code that I haven't used that lasts till mid July if you want it.

heckfu

Banned
How does 343 have the time to discuss the reactions of people who are concerned with the direction of the franchise, but we still don't have an explanation behind any matchmaking changes. Or half the shit we saw at E3.

what.

It really is baffling how we still haven't heard about squad slayer's removal. I was fine with it at first but it seems that I'm in a party of 5 more and more lately.

Kyle, you could say it gives me the sad.

How does 343 have the time to discuss the reactions of people who are concerned with the direction of the franchise, but we still don't have an explanation behind any matchmaking changes. Or half the shit we saw at E3.

what.

Wait, what haven't they explained? I know we are still waiting for a little more explanation on the loadout building system, but we know enough that it isn't a grand mystery.

Oh, ok you are talking about Reach MM? Ok yeah, then there definitely things that should be clarified.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

what.

To be fair

OXM UK said:
"Your fans are your best friends, they're absolutely a part of our extended family," O'Connor began. "But you're absolutely right, you can't design a game by committee because... it's hilarious to watch reactions on the Internet. They're completely contradictory and yet people think that they're mathematically correct.

He's talking about the fact that everyone contradicts each other is hilarious, not that people care. Context and all that.

Do you have Unity pro? I've got a code that I haven't used that lasts till mid July if you want it.

I'm still using v3.4 right now, but a code would be nice to play with the flash support of v3.5. Where did you get the code by chance and do all pro codes come with a timer on it? Or is this some sort of extended "trial" code?

I don't want to see Chateau in any future Halo game, thanks.

Working in the constraints of forge to build a unique cohesive aesthetic, with MM performance (full and split), and with some semblance of complexity for area interaction and path options isn't the easiest thing to do. I'm proud of Chateau based on what I used to build it. Using a true level editor is a completely different story entirely. Chateau was built around limitations and learning to break them in the right ways. The map has 42 walkway covers on it - one of the most performance heavy pieces in the palette due to multiple lights, glass, and complexity - yet it still hits the performance bar for MM. Any map built with an actual editor can not be compared on equal footing.

I'm using v3.4 right now, but a code would be nice to play with the flash support of v3.5. Where did you get the code by chance and do all pro codes come with a timer on it? Or is this some sort of extended "trial" code?
I got it from a Game development competition, I think it's a special code, I'm not sure if they are all timed, my experience with Unity is little. I'll PM the code, let me know how you go.

Working in the constraints of forge to build a unique cohesive aesthetic, with MM performance (full and split), and with some semblance of complexity for area interaction and path options isn't the easiest thing to do. I'm proud of Chateau based on what I used to build it. Using a true level editor is a completely different story entirely. Chateau was built around limitations and learning to break them in the right ways. The map has 42 walkway covers on it - one of the most performance heavy pieces in the palette due to multiple lights, glass, and complexity - yet it still hits the performance bar for MM. Any map built with an actual editor can not be compared on equal footing.
You really bothered replying to that post?..

Squad Slayer was already explained...

they said in an update that when they added Super Slayer they thought they had too many Slayer only playlists and that was OK because I think the same update they made Obj 5v5 so 5v5 still had a playlist.

Plus the playlists are GOOD ENOUGH™! As they will be in H4.

Risen

what.

It's because often... they know better.

duh.

heckfu

Banned
Squad Slayer was already explained...

they said in an update that when they added Super Slayer they thought they had too many Slayer only playlists and that was OK because I think the same update they made Obj 5v5 so 5v5 still had a playlist.

Plus the playlists are GOOD ENOUGH™! As they will be in H4.

Thanks for the explanation...even though it was laden with snark. Sensygaf.

VPhL8.jpg

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/212603276514951171/photo/1

343i should just open a store already. :(

i think he meant for the free season. they'll continue to make more seasons for an indefinite amount of time you'll just have to pay after season 1
That's what I have been led to believe. As long as it is popular enough, more seasons will be added for a price I'll be happy to pay.

I wouldn't mind remakes, honestly. Chill Out proper is still my favorite map of all time and Halo 2 had some STELLAR maps, calling them shitty is a bit out of line IMO
I'm hesitant to want an outright remake of any old Halo map, because one really needs to take an open-minded approach to updating it to fit the updated play style. Of course you can always use a throwback style of gametype and force it to work, but that really limits the map's quality right from the start. It needs to fit all the new variables as well as any other new (and hopefully good) map does, or else it's a pointless endeavor. It also is important to choose the right map to remake; that Hang 'em High remake, while beautiful, is just a dreadful map to play on with Reach's gametypes/weapons. I really hope that whatever 343 decides to do, they keep the remakes to a bare minimum. New developer = brand new designs.

^^ Might want to edit out the first part of that post, that stuff is taken seriously on a forum full of software developers.

Good call. I have good intentions though. :) It is for educational purposes. If I were to do anything official I'd do things properly. The only real reason I do is for real-time shadows I haven't done much with it so the advanced features of pro are all a blur to me right now. Gotta learn what I can.

Actually come to think of it is their an educational program for unity for access to pro similar to the Dreamspark program that MS has?

heckfu

Banned
Won't be able to record until Josh gets back from NY. Probably gonna hit towards the end of the week.

I can fill in as I have recent experience.

To prepare I'm going to need bourbon, a flight and hotel to 343, and an early copy of the game. My address is in your PM box and gift is in the mail.

Thanks in advance!

daedalius

Good call. I have good intentions though. :) It is for educational purposes. If I were to do anything official I'd do things properly. The only real reason I do is for real-time shadows I haven't done much with it so the advanced features of pro are all a blur to me right now. Gotta learn what I can.

Actually come to think of it is their an educational program for unity for access to pro similar to the Dreamspark program that MS has?

Just so you know, Unreal Engine 3 is free to use; you actually have to make a pretty significant amount of money before they charge you royalty fees. Also, Cryengine 3 is free as well.

J10

Banned

what.

The game is five months out. Relax.

Won't be able to record until Josh gets back from NY. Probably gonna hit towards the end of the week.
I really like Josh, but ye can't do it with out him?
#iWantToHearFromTheOtherHundredsOfPeopleAt343

It's kind of what made the bombcast appearance great, getting to actually hear ye talk about the formation of the company, something that not enough (for me) light has been shined upon.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I really like Josh, but ye can't do it with out him?
#iWantToHearFromTheOtherHundredsOfPeopleAt343

It's kind of what made the bombcast appearance great, getting to actually hear ye talk about the formation of the company, something that not enough (for me) light has been shined upon.

Hush you. I still have months of episodes to fill before launch. :)

Also, you'll be hearing from two new voices inside the studio on this episode. In fact, had my laptop not eaten the 35 minutes Spartan Ops segment you'd have 4 new voices for this week.

Just so you know, Unreal Engine 3 is free to use; you actually have to make a pretty significant amount of money before they charge you royalty fees. Also, Cryengine 3 is free as well.

I'm aware. :) I've used UDK quite a bit, but my Software Tools: Game Development 2 class is going to be using Unity so I wanted to get up to speed with it. It is a much friendlier editor with a lot of the backend work done for you through their demos. I use sketchup pro to supplement for basic models and texturing. I felt the initial start up for Unity was much easier than the start up for UDK. UDK has some power to it for sure, but to get an prototype across the ease is much nicer with Unity.

Cryengine I actually haven't tried and I've been watching some of the stuff from GDC and it looks like fun too. But for now Unity it is for my upcoming class in the fall.

When I get farther along with Unity I could actually transfer the drafted up maps from sketchup to Unity and through in a first person prefab to help get a better feel for the maps. Could even put out a webplayer demo so others can have a walk around the maps as well. (My attempt to bring it back to halo speak lol...)

Also, you'll be hearing from two new voices inside the studio on this episode. In fact, had my laptop not eaten the 35 minutes Spartan Ops segment you'd have 4 new voices for this week.
I cannot be silenced! Optional text in the mid*OOF*

Looking forward to it, obviously.

I'm aware. :) I've used UDK quite a bit, but my Software Tools: Game Development 2 class is going to be using Unity so I wanted to get up to speed with it. It is a much friendlier editor with a lot of the backend work done for you through their demos. I use sketchup pro to supplement for basic models and texturing. I felt the initial start up for Unity was much easier than the start up for UDK. UDK has some power to it for sure, but to get an prototype across the ease is much nicer with Unity.

Cryengine I actually haven't tried and I've been watching some of the stuff from GDC and it looks like fun too. But for now Unity it is for my upcoming class in the fall.

When I get farther along with Unity I could actually transfer the drafted up maps from sketchup to Unity and through in a first person prefab to help get a better feel for the maps. Could even put out a webplayer demo so others can have a walk around the maps as well. (My attempt to bring it back to halo speak lol...)
Definitely take a look at CryEngine. Amazing engine, and great level editor.

heckfu

Banned
We are being watched.

You literally OK'd me putting the cameras in your shower, don't act surprised.

Going back, Booties are you against the map design from Halo 1 and 2 being remade or those particular playspaces being abused by new AA and sandbox items? Just curious how everyone feels out there since I'm obviously pro-remake. Maybe I just haven't thought it through enough to make an informed opinion.

daedalius

Sigh, you should have just not told us.

And wow at GP getting banned that fast.

Mr Greenc
l
ockroast?
GG to you, too, Roché
Sorry to get back to you so late on this...but clearly I failed. How could I forget the C
l
ockRoast?

Reading that other Fallon thread just proved that I completely disagree with nearly everything GAF as a whole represents and likes. He has got to be the least funny person in the business.
After "TeBowie" he could never do another funny sketch again and he'd still be in the top 10 funniest late night American TV show hosts. All you need to do as a late night TV host is make a few funny, culturally relevant, bits a year that make it into the mainstream.

MLG variants are usually trash.
I don't play MLG, but I have played on some of the maps and they have all played as well as or better than the default maps they were based on.

In fact, had my laptop not eaten the 35 minutes Spartan Ops segment you'd have 4 new voices for this week.
vaderNOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

Dear 343

2820947-web_preview.png

I still prefer stumpy styled feet on grunts over this goblin foot, it had a more unique look. Otherwise, I love the new look with only a few nit picks (I would like to see more "spikes" on the forearms and legs in line with older Grunts). I really do love the new armor and face though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom