• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if she's really Gray Man?

Or any one of the new juniors that HaloGAFclassic has launched a crusade against. If Halo 4 doesn't work in Tawpgun's Xbox we will know the truth.

To Any 343 Lurkers: please get back to work. You have like 3 months or something before the game has to go to cert. Guardian isn't going to create itself.

OverHeat

« generous god »
You guys wanna play it together?

GT: Vlad356

Add me, I've been playing it non-stop (except for the HaloGAF-Tourney) since I got it on sale.

They have supposedly fixed the frame rate too, and they got vsync turned on to get rid of tearing. Most maps have no problems no unless your bombing the shit out of them with the Super Hagar.
Sure, Friend request sent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 4 is most definitely "medium" in the grand scheme of things. As it relates to Halo games, its pretty slow. Sure, it may be slightly faster than Halo Reach, but that doesn't mean its super fast.

One of the biggest problems with Halo games in recent years is how slow everything has gotten. Teamshot is really the only way to be effective because of how slow you move and how slow you kill everyone.

Sure, if all you've been playing for the past 2 years is Reach, Halo 4 will initially feel fast. However, that feeling is mostly due to the "newness;" after a week or so you won't even notice the speed difference.

I just wish we moved a little faster and had much faster max kill times (but they were very difficult to get consistently).

Hmm, I'll have to get hands on. Sprint seems to make the game much faster though, you can sprint all the time.

I will say, when the videos emerged of MLG players playing Halo 4 I thought that the player speed and jump height should be a pinch higher.

mastrbiggy (and HBO's Tex) will be posting impressions from the show floor on HBO's SDCC Coverage page:

http://halo.bungie.org/eventcoverage.html

Keep an eye on it!

Cool, thanks!

"it's called playing the game for 20 minutes before everyone else"

Nah, it's called loving Halo 2 and 3's gameplay and appreciating its return.

=)

Caja 117

Mind blown if true.

Yeah there is, it is subtle, but Nades in reach sometimes have a slight change on where they are supposse to fall finding their way onto a spartan. (it also happens with Plasma nades)

I even have a clip where I actually stuck a guy with a regular nade.

Hmm, I'll have to get hands on. Sprint seems to make the game much faster though, you can sprint all the time.

Im not sure how unlimited sprint is going to work with objective gametypes, capping a flag is going to be a big mess on small/medium size maps.

I will say, when the videos emerged of MLG players playing Halo 4 I thought that the player speed and jump height should be a pinch higher.

Yeah if we're allowed to have opinions about what is fast and slow, I think the pace of gameplay is decent (certainly faster than Halo 3 and Reach), but the base movement speed is pretty slow in my opinion.

Does Neil Blomkamp's next movie Elysium have a Halo ring?

NoBhG.jpg

If FUD is a success give a Halo movie back to this man. Hell, do it even if it isn't a success.

Louis Wu

"it's called playing the game for 20 minutes before everyone else"

Nah, it's called loving Halo 2 and 3's gameplay and appreciating its return.
sluuurp

this is all stupid. If you agree with what the early players are posting, you say "hey, let 'em speak!" If you don't, you say "they're just being nice because they're getting to play early!" If your mind is THAT made up, just stop worrying about it until the game comes out. Try it, if you hate it don't buy it. Done.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
this is all stupid. If you agree with what the early players are posting, you say "hey, let 'em speak!" If you don't, you say "they're just being nice because they're getting to play early!" If your mind is THAT made up, just stop worrying about it until the game comes out. Try it, if you hate it don't buy it. Done.

+1. We've all been going back and forth on the same things over and over, and it's pretty clear who stands where in regards to what we've seen of the game. We just need new information to discuss.

BigShow36

sluuurp

It's not about disagreeing or not believing that those players honestly felt that way. The point is that their experience is not only extremely limited, it's colored by the worlds largest rose-tinted glasses. I have no doubt that they truly feel Halo 4 is amazing. Maybe it is, but all I can do is compare it to things I liked and disliked about past Halo games and go from there.

What we can do is look at video we've gotten, which is completely objective, and compare it to video of past Halo games. If you look at a Reach video side-by-side with a Halo 4 video, there really isn't that much different. The player still moves pretty slow and utility weapons still take a long time to kill.

Granted, I haven't played the game, but at the same time, numbers don't lie. A 5-shot kill BR isn't very fast. A 5-shot kill DMR isn't very fast.

We've got people saying how amazing Halo 4 is, but then I watch the videos and I see some of the same issues, major ones, that plague Reach; slow gameplay.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
For those of you who like computer games, Steam Summer Sale starts today :) runs through the 22nd.

Totally off topic but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Keep those Halo 4 impressions coming, need to stay entertained at work.

Gray Man

Banned
sluuurp

The Wu has spoken.

JonCha

It's not about disagreeing or not believing that those players honestly felt that way. The point is that their experience is not only extremely limited, it's colored by the worlds largest rose-tinted glasses. I have no doubt that they truly feel Halo 4 is amazing. Maybe it is, but all I can do is compare it to things I liked and disliked about past Halo games and go from there.

What we can do is look at video we've gotten, which is completely objective, and compare it to video of past Halo games. If you look at a Reach video side-by-side with a Halo 4 video, there really isn't that much different. The player still moves pretty slow and utility weapons still take a long time to kill.

Granted, I haven't played the game, but at the same time, numbers don't lie. A 5-shot kill BR isn't very fast. A 5-shot kill DMR isn't very fast.

We've got people saying how amazing Halo 4 is, but then I watch the videos and I see some of the same issues that plague Reach; slow gameplay.

I don't agree. And I need to think why, but I know you're wrong.

If you're literally saying Halo 4 is going to be anywhere near the shitfest level of Halo: Reach, you're going to be very surprised haha.

BigShow36

I don't agree. And I need to think why, but I know you're wrong.

If you're literally saying Halo 4 is going to be anywhere near the shitfest level of Halo: Reach, you're going to be very surprised haha.

What's different about Halo 4 from MLG Reach settings, aside from new weapons? Sure, the "feel" may be different, but when you get down to the nitty gritty details of how games actually play out, what's going to change?

Okay, lets say it's on Halo 3's level. IMO thats still shit. I'm tired of Halo games that force players to rely on team shot and completely hamstring the individual.

My one true hope for Halo 4 right now is that we can change movement and get a better strafe and increase weapon damage without destroying the sandbox.

What's different about Halo 4 from MLG Reach settings, aside from new weapons? Sure, the "feel" may be different, but when you get down to the nitty gritty details of how games actually play out, what's going to change?

Okay, lets say it's on Halo 3's level. IMO thats still shit. I'm tired of Halo games that force players to rely on team shot and completely hamstring the individual.
I'd say Halo 3 hamstringing the individual is stretching it. Reach does, certainly, but 3 let an individual do a lot more

You can sprint while invisible? =\
Don't know, the Camo AA isn't available in the E3 build.

Encouraging a camo user to play even slower? Sounds awful. I don't think there is a way to fix Camo as an AA.
Just spitballing ideas. Slow movement/quicker AA drain/longer reset timer, I'm not sure how else to balance out something like that. Another AA as a counter is not the correct answer to the problem.

Louis Wu

What we can do is look at video we've gotten, which is completely objective
Really? Completely objective? There's no context to keep in mind, no "this might be because the game isn't finished", no compression artifacts in video or audio that might change how people perceive what they're watching... NOTHING? It's COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE?

You and I live in different worlds.

Edit:
I'm tired of Halo games that force players to rely on team shot and completely hamstring the individual.
Wow. Not only do we live in different worlds, we want diametrically opposed things from our Halo. I like that the game rewards teamshooting. (I would argue, rather strongly even, that it does not FORCE the player to rely on it - I have seen plenty of backpackers win games for their team with no help. But I LIKE that all Halo games except the first one have rewarded team play.) Sounds like you might want to pick a different title.

GhaleonEB

sluuurp

GhaleonEB thanked you for this post.

JonCha

Reach had slow movement and slow gunplay because of bloom, which is there now even with 85 percent bloom. So you're walking slower, jumping smaller distances and being forced to pace your shots.

Halo 4 is faster than Reach's movement, right? So that's one, if true, regardless of MLG settings. Two you've got a faster starting weapon than the DMR - the BR - and now gameplay is built around Sprint, rather than it being an Armor Ability. It's obvious watching the MLG E3 videos that gameplay is much faster; encounters were happening pretty frequently.

I don't know if this is what I'm trying to say, but it seems wrong to me to compare this to Reach in any negative way. There's more balance, more logical abilities, better map design from what we've seen and a focus on gunplay.

And yes, I don't like Halo 3. I believe Halo 4 will beat that, too, which isn't that hard IMO because a hitscan BR makes the experience miles better.

heckfu

Banned
Really? Completely objective? There's no context to keep in mind, no "this might be because the game isn't finished", no compression artifacts in video or audio that might change how people perceive what they're watching... NOTHING? It's COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE?

Keep your voice down, there are babies afoot.

GhaleonEB thanked you for this post.
Ghal, please do it right:

2 users thanked Louis Wu for this useful post. GhaleonEB on 7/12/12(UTC), Hypertrooper on 7/12/12(UTC)

Edit.: Maybe useful for Mastrbiggy and his HBO coverage:
San Diego Comic-Con International is a convention like no other. An absolute dream for anybody who likes comic books, sci-fi, or things that are awesome and fun, several of our official partners snagged themselves a square foot or two on the filled-to-the-brim floor. Should you be looking to mix a little Halo into your SDCC experience, be sure to add the following booths to your must-see-before-I-leave list.

McFarlane Toys via Entertainment Earth/Toys"R"Us - Booth #2343
McFarlane Toys via Diamond Distributor - Booth #2401
Mega Bloks - Off-site location at Hard Rock Café
Jada Toys - Booth #4248
Square Enix Inc - Booth #3829
Sideshow Collectibles - Booth #1929
3A Toys - Booth #2643
Rubie's Costume Co Inc - Booth #3649-3651
ACME Archives Ltd - Booth #5629-5635
Tor Books - Booth #2707, 2709
Rooster Teeth Productions - Booth #1437
Changes/Bowe Industries - Booth #215, 5029, 5545
http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/post/2012/07/12/Halo-Partners-at-San-Diego-Comic-Con-International.aspx

GhaleonEB

To add: most of the video we get is from people who are playing for the first time, or close to. So even with the game not being done, still being polished and balanced and with people playing a game type with a slice of the sandbox for exhibition purposes, I find it hard to judge many things because people are still learning how it's intended to play.

There's a lot we can judge, but there's a pretty hefty list of caveats we need to attach.
Ghal, please do it right:

2 users thanked Louis Wu for this useful post. GhaleonEB on 7/12/12(UTC), Hypertrooper on 7/12/12(UTC)

Thanks. I was going to look up the correct nomenclature, but, well, Waypoint.

Risen

What video are you going to watch lol...

Default Reach with 100% bloom, 85% Bloom, MLG w/ bleed through and zero bloom?

daedalius

We've got people saying how amazing Halo 4 is, but then I watch the videos and I see some of the same issues, major ones, that plague Reach; slow gameplay.

You really make it hard for me to try and give a shit about your posts.

I mean, are you comparing a fucking 100% bloom DMR kill-time to the non-final-build 5 shot kill BR kill time? Because I'm pretty the BR is going to be loads faster and more consistent.

Are we talking about current MLG settings? Because that seems to reward the player pretty well for being a good shot considering how fast you can die in ZB gameplay. I don't want the game to be faster than MLG settings are. I want less inertia and less powerful grenades, and shots to matter; that's why MLG settings are the only way to play Reach.

BigShow36

Wow. Not only do we live in different worlds, we want diametrically opposed things from our Halo. I like that the game rewards teamshooting. (I would argue, rather strongly even, that it does not FORCE the player to rely on it - I have seen plenty of backpackers win games for their team with no help. But I LIKE that all Halo games except the first one have rewarded team play.) Sounds like you might want to pick a different title.

I never said I didn't want to reward players for team shot; every game will always reward teamshot, but there's a balance that needs to be reached.

The fact that you say the first Halo game didn't reward teamplay is laughable. The sad truth is that "teamplay" has devolved into the most primitive example of it; teamshot. When you empower the individual, like Halo CE, the depth of teamplay exponentially increases. Just because you may not understand it or grasp it doesn't mean its not there.

And to everyone talking about the videos, I'm referring to ZB MLG games.

FyreWulff

I never said I didn't want to reward players for team shot; every game will always reward teamshot, but there's a balance that needs to be reached.

The fact that you say the first Halo game didn't reward teamplay is laughable. The sad truth is that "teamplay" has devolved into the most primitive example of it; teamshot. When you empower the individual, like Halo CE, the depth of teamplay exponentially increases. Just because you may not understand it or grasp it doesn't mean its not there.

The existence of the Halo 1 Pistol would make me agree with Wu alone. Teamplay didn't really matter in Halo 1. You cannot make the individual be able to do everything by themselves and not have the emphasis on teamplay suffer.

Unfortunately, Reach got hamstringed by the Halo 1 Pistol as well.

BigShow36

The existence of the Halo 1 Pistol would make me agree with Wu alone. Teamplay didn't really matter in Halo 1. You cannot make the individual be able to do everything by themselves and not have the emphasis on teamplay suffer.

Unfortunately, Reach got hamstringed by the Halo 1 Pistol as well.

Like I said, just because you may not understand it or grasp it doesn't mean its not there.

And if you think that teamplay didn't matter in Halo CE, you have absolutely no understanding of the game.

daedalius

And to everyone talking about the videos, I'm referring to ZB MLG games.

Well, I doubt most of us want a faster game than Reach MLG settings are currently.

I know I don't; I just want it to be more balanced, non-nuke grenades, no crappy inertia, etc.

Like I said, just because you may not understand it or grasp it doesn't mean its not there.

And if you think that teamplay didn't matter in Halo CE, you have absolutely no understanding of the game.

Spawn trapping 2v2 gameplay, hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom