• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Well, I doubt most of us want a faster game than Reach MLG settings are currently.

I know I don't; I just want it to be more balanced, non-nuke grenades, no crappy inertia, etc.

Spawn trapping 2v2 gameplay, hmmm...
Ideally I'd like a slightly slower movement speed than the MLG settings but the addition of sprint and fixed grenades. The option of BR or DMR is a huge plus also. Seems like H4 fits that mold.

FyreWulff

Like I said, just because you may not may not understand it or grasp it doesn't mean its not there.

And if you think that teamplay didn't matter in Halo CE, you have absolutely no understanding of the game.

You are impossible to have a conversation with. I provide reasons why, you just answer with "you're just incapable of understanding it".

A fundamental part of game design is the more power given to an individual, the less teamplay matters. If you gave a TF2 class the ability to do healing, hold a sniper rifle, and be able to set up turrets, you'd be able to do a lot of things on your own. And the teamplay of TF2 would suffer - significantly.

Since Halo isn't class based, it finds the teamplay emphasis on the balancing of the main guns everyone will be using. If you make the guns too powerful then nobody will attempt teamwork or actually move around the map or use secondary weapons. You've just wasted millions of dollars creating new weapon models and level detail for nothing.

Halo 1 set the foundation of Halo gameplay, but it was not and should not be the guideline. It was made under a different era and a different setup entirely. Most of it's games were played splitscreen, 2v2 at most, and the multiplayer was made under the table by two guys who had to just accept whatever weapon balance was determined for campaign - multiplayer was literally secondary to Halo 1 and a second-tier citizen.

Halo 2 , 3, Reach were made with bigger player numbers in mind and the concept that the weapons would be made for multiplayer balance in mind. ODST was a sandbox entirely designed around campaign, hence the ODST Magnum and the ODST SMG, both of which would have been entirely broken for versus multiplayer but were fine for campaign-only guns. You wouldn't want the ODST Magnum in the multiplayer of any Halo game, it'd have an even more negative impact than the H1P. And for some reason people want a campaign-balanced weapon for multiplayer again. I don't understand it.

Halo 1,2,3, 4 and Reach are all Halo games, if you pick one up it's definitely Halo. I might not like some of the stuff around Halo 4, but it's still clearly a Halo game. Reach was still a Halo game. It's still an arcade shooter. The devil is in the details.

BigShow36

You are impossible to have a conversation with. I provide reasons why, you just answer with "you're just incapable of understanding it".

Your reason was "because the pistol." That's not a good reason.

A fundamental part of game design is the more power given to an individual, the less teamplay matters.

That's not true at all. Forcing a player to rely soley on teammates doesn't make the actual strategy of a game any deeper. In fact, it makes it shallower because you are limiting the options a player has at any given time. If you force them to constantly be around teammates just to be effective, you essentially remove thousands of options a player would otherwise have.

JonCha

Couple things:

1) Hardlight Shield deflects splatters
2) The text for a sticky kill is really bad. "Stuck Him!" Really?
3) Having crouch on the left stick is going to be really powerful. I don't think I've seen anyone crouch in these videos, so throwing a crouch into your strafe is probably going to throw a lot of people off

I was playing Anniversary last week and crouch was on the left stick but it felt really weird compared to later Halos. You could barely move while crouching.

Risen

But I LIKE that all Halo games except the first one have rewarded team play.)

People that don't think CE rewarded team play are delusional. Team shot DOMINATED that game when it was there. The difference is people felt empowered to act alone, provided they had the skill, so team shot naturally wasn't as much a focus for the typical player.

When 4v4 was played... team shot ruled the day. It's why 3D was so dominant... they ran sets other teams hadn't thought of, and wrecked with crazy angles. It's again why Final Boss ruled in H2. Static sets that ruled with team shots from multiple angles.

Striker

Another missed opportunity. A lot of what makes Elite Slayer bad is the starting weapons and, of course, Armor Abilities. Heretic Slayer, using only human starting weapons and grenades, really would have made the game more like older Halos IMO (read: better). Meh, whatever; after playing just a little H4, I won't be surprised if I don't touch Reach's multiplayer again.
Elite Slayer should have been Needle Rifle/Plasma Repeater and one frag. No different. No Elite Slayer involved in BTB since there is vehicles. That's how it should've been, but unfortunately was not. Elite Slayer BTB was a joke in both H3/Reach with it becoming Ghost Wars than anything else.

Still extremely skeptical how they deal out BTB in H4. They can easily fuck it up too with all these procedures and settings.

Pretty sure Frankie/David already told us that Loadout limitations will be in place for certain playlists, but I bet you already knew that.
We were told lots of things. It's actually seeing it take place and being there at launch and going through the several months after (and in DLC map quality) to fulfill that promise. Playlist management, jamming every gametype in every map, loadouts being relegated to specific playlists, etc.

FyreWulff

That's not true at all. Forcing a player to rely soley on teammates doesn't make the actual strategy of a game any deeper. In fact, it makes it shallower because you are limiting the options a player has at any given time. If you force them to constantly be around teammates just to be effective, you essentially remove thousands of options a player would otherwise have.

So basically you don't want to be burdened with strategy or choice while playing in a game. You want every player to be able to fix every situation on their own. How does teamplay still matter under this. If you have every option available at all times then there's no point to choosing options. This would be like a football team that's 11 quarterbacks.

When you throw out all pretense of choice, gating, and map control via teamplay in favor of giving 100% control to every player, what's my motivation for helping the rest of the team?

Homeboyd

I don't know if somebody noticed it already, but I have the a feel, that CyReN has all the information 1st. Eerytime, when there is something new, he has it. It's amazing. Thanks, dude. :)
waS going to post something eeriLy similar.

thanks for the Updates cyRen.

:p

tooeasy?

BigShow36

So basically you don't want to be burdened with strategy or choice while playing in a game. You want every player to be able to fix every situation on their own. How does teamplay still matter under this. If you have every option available at all times then there's no point to choosing options. This would be like a football team that's 11 quarterbacks.

When you throw out all pretense of choice, gating, and map control via teamplay in favor of giving 100% control to every player, what's my motivation for helping the rest of the team?

No, I want to expand player choices. How does forcing players to stick together expand choice? If a single player is vastly superior to the other players in the game, yes, he/she should be able to "fix" every sitution on their own. In a game where the players are more equal in skill though, the amount of viable strategic options is vastly increased.

When individual players are empowered, map control becomes so much more than static setups in pre-defined locations. When individual players are deadly from anywhere on the map at any time, the amount of strategy required for all players in dramatically increased.

What we have right now is like a football team that's only allowed to run 3 different plays. Everyone runs the same setups, everyone runs the same bait/switch trick, because there's no other way for players to be effective.

heckfu

Banned

I'm not saying I'm talking about Big Show or anything, but some people are more concerned about blowing smoke up their own ass instead of having a real conversation. Obviously you know that, but your posts are falling on deaf ears lately with some folks.

BigShow36

I'm not saying I'm talking about Big Show or anything, but some people are more concerned about blowing smoke up their own ass instead of having a real conversation. Obviously you know that, but your posts are falling on deaf ears lately with some folks.

If you don't agree with me, you're just blowing smoke up your ass and not listening.

HaloGAF +20

616229310.jpg

Do I even need to say it?

Dat ass Halo 4

Offtopic but i dont care.

You guys might remember my "to buy" list from last year. Just finished up this years.

Code:
Darksiders 2 Collectors Edition                       21st August 
Transformers Fall of Cybertron                        4th  August  
Harry Potter Wizard Collection                        10th September
Tekken Tag Tournement 2 We Are Tekken Edition         4th  September
Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest                     21st September
Marvel Phase One                                      25th September
DragonBall Z: Budokai HD Collection                   12th October
Dishonored                                            2nd  October
Assassins Creed 3 Freedom Edition                     31st October
WWE '13 Mike Tyson Edition                            2nd  November              
Halo 4 Limited Edition                                6th  November               
Halo 4 Console                                        6th  November
Call Of Duty Black Ops 2                              13th November             
Disney Epic Mickey 2 Power of Illusion                23rd November

Dude using Hardlight Shield doesn't get splattered at about 00:38.
The ghost went over his head and just clipped the HLS. It would be similar to how in other halo games when you get clipped by a vehicle and take damage but don't die. There have been numerous reports that HLS doesn't protect you from a splatter, one of Bravo's vids off the top of my head.

Aggrotek

The ghost went over his head and just clipped the HLS. It would be similar to how in other halo games when you get clipped by a vehicle and take damage but don't die. There have been numerous reports that HLS doesn't protect you from a splatter, one of Bravo's vids off the top of my head.

Looks like the shield doesn't even take damage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom