• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Will the whole film have the yellow filter or just that just something they're toying with during production?

Please say it'll look natural.

Looks great otherwise. I really like the armor and the kids don't bug me at all.

The trailer was good for the most part. Some nitpicks:
1. The weapons still look out of place. Mostly everything does a good job of making me think this isn't from a videogame, but those weapons pull me out of it.
2. "Stay with me. It's your only chance for survival." Cheesy.

Every human environment in a live-action commercial or video outside of the Blomkamp footage has looked spotless and sterile. It's gorgeous, but it's not how I imagine those environments to look in real life. I'm probably alone in this.

But I can't wait to see the full movie. That was fantastic.

Well you're comparing Blomkamp to the guy that directed Sorority Row.

Toddler

Nice B-day present, 343
rockrock.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Great trailer.

MS needs to stop cheaping out on Steve Downes though.

What have I said about assumptions?

Remember this Master Chief is a lot younger than the one we all met first in Halo: Combat Evolved.

Steven is an adult male of some age. His resonant tones would have sounded odd coming out of a character that's actually pretty young.

Ok, after finding the trailer a little worrying this hyped me back up! Hot damn!

Yay! Listening now!

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this looks bad. :_\

Nope, I agree. Well, I think the color correction looks like something out of a student project, and that MC looks awkward the way he was filmed. Due to the youth of all the actors it really has a fan film vibe, but some of it looks top notch. Im gonna go into more detail later so I don't sound like a over critical asshole, its just film is something I am incredibly passionate about and I expected something a little differen't

FyreWulff

As mentioned earlier he's not in that part for a reason. It's 20 years ago, Chief needed to sound younger. :p

If that was the goal, then they should have gotten an actor that could imitate Steve Downes's vocal style.

What have I said about assumptions?

Remember this Master Chief is a lot younger than the one we all met first in Halo: Combat Evolved.

Steven is an adult male of some age. His resonant tones would have sounded odd coming out of a character that's actually pretty young.

I honestly didn't know this was so far back in the past. But I'll continue to enjoy not-Downes in the other side projects from when Chief is supposed to be the same age.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Nope, I agree. Well, I think the color correction looks like something out of a student project, and that MC looks awkward the way he was filmed. Due to the youth of all the actors it really has a fan film vibe, but some of it looks top notch. Im gonna go into more detail later so I don't sound like a over critical asshole, its just film is something I am incredibly passionate about and I expected something a little differen't

Actually I think as far as the film quality it looks fantastic. The acting and dialogue is where I feel it falls short. And MC just seems incredibly awkward there. I am actually pretty shocked at my feelings, since I loved the teaser, and have loved EVERY live-action Halo piece to date.

This looks like MTV's Halo.

Vire

Ok, after finding the trailer a little worrying this hyped me back up! Hot damn!

Yay! Listening now!

Yeah, I mean I think my expectations were set pretty low given the director and the scale/budget for this thing.

Chief just looks cheaply made which is unfortunate. You can see that a live action Halo could totally work (with the proper budget), and this looks like it'll be decent enough where it won't be embarrassing.

So I guess there's that.

That Halo 4 console is just plain bad though. Surprised with all the talented artists at 343 (SPARTH) they couldn't come up with something better.

Vire

Isn't Microsoft in charge of the console designs, not 343?

Dunno, but if I was 343 I wouldn't have let it be approved.

To be honest, I don't really care about all this extraneous marketing bullshit. I just want the game to be good.

Also, I think the Halo Reach Live action trailer "Deliver Hope" is infinitely more professional looking. From the weapon design, to the armor, to the color grading. Everything about it seems like it's made by people who know their shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULu1zxOfEIQ

OverHeat

« generous god »
....everything is so "surgical clean" in the trailer. I have a feeling that the target audience is for people under 16.

Ryaaan14

Banned
To be honest, I don't really care about all this extraneous marketing bullshit. I just want the game to be good.

Me neither. I never am.

....everything is so "surgical clean" in the trailer. I have a feeling that the target audience is for people under 16.

That pretty much reflects my feelings. I doubt this was the intention, but the production style definitely has that vibe.

FyreWulff

Well, it is a military facility. They're usually pretty picky about cleanliness. It'll probably get dirtier after the Covies attack so the first part has a different tone than when after everything goes to shit.

wwm0nkey

Due to the fact I haven't slept in 30 or so hours I decided to head back after the Halo panel, hope you guys liked my question lol

(Was tempted to ask if there was going to be a MP beta)

Actually I think as far as the film quality it looks fantastic. The acting and dialogue is where I feel it falls short. And MC just seems incredibly awkward there. I am actually pretty shocked at my feelings, since I loved the teaser, and have loved EVERY live-action Halo piece to date.

This looks like MTV's Halo.

Eh, I think the color correction looks kinda phoned in and is over done.. Let the natural colors breathe a little, or go a different route with it IMO. It just very much seems to have that 'student film filter' applied to it. MC looks very out of place, IMO, due to his visor. It looks cheap. I know Oakley made it, but it doesn't looks right.. Also, the paint app could have suggested metal better IMO. He was also kinda filmed in a cheesy sort of way.. I much prefer the look of the live action Reach Spartans, paint app etc, even though their suit bounced around too much. Acting/Dialogue was so-so, but its kinda hard to judge given the content of the trailer.

Yeah, I mean I think my expectations were set pretty low given the director and the scale/budget for this thing.

Chief just looks cheaply made which is unfortunate. You can see that a live action Halo could totally work (with the proper budget), and this looks like it'll be decent enough where it won't be embarrassing.

So I guess there's that.

That Halo 4 console is just plain bad though. Surprised with all the talented artists at 343 (SPARTH) they couldn't come up with something better.

Eh, given the visual quality of past live action Halo ads I feel this one has more of a amateur vibe, especially scenes with MC. I expect more based on the past live action adventures. I really hope they touch up his visor in post, it just feels very off. Same with the color correction.

Vire

Eh, I think the color correction looks kinda phoned in and is over done.. Let the natural colors breathe a little, or go a different route with it IMO. It just very much seems to have that 'student film filter' applied to it. MC looks very out of place, IMO, due to his visor. It looks cheap. I know Oakley made it, but it doesn't looks right.. Also, the paint app could have suggested metal better IMO. He was also kinda filmed in a cheesy sort of way.. I much prefer the look of the live action Reach Spartans, paint app etc, even though their suit bounced around too much. Acting/Dialogue was so-so, but its kinda hard to judge given the content of the trailer.

Eh, given the visual quality of past live action Halo ads I feel this one has more of a amateur vibe, especially scenes with MC. I expect more based on the past live action adventures. I really hope they touch up his visor in post, it just feels very off. Same with the color correction.
Right, I understand this a 60 second spot and FUD is a 90 minute feature film. But it's hard not to notice the difference in quality.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well, it is a military facility. They're usually pretty picky about cleanliness. It'll probably get dirtier after the Covies attack so the first part has a different tone than when after everything goes to shit.
Im in the military and your right about the cleanliness but I was talking about the way its filmed make everything look sterile even the field exercise but Im still open to see the difference when all the post production and FX are gonna be in.

senador

Banned
FUD looks pretty awesome. Suit looks cool, but also a bit odd. For what it is though, I'd say its good quality. If it was a full fledged movie, it wouldn't be worthy. But yeah, I think it looks good and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Its pretty cool 343 is doing this.

I don't care for the console either Ryaaaaaan.

daedalius

You guys are weird, I don't see anything that really stands out as looking poor in the trailer.

I guess I'm not much of a film critic.

I'm sure there will be several more passes of... whatever they do on film before its final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom