• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

New GoW coming out in March, can't wait to see what MS has in store for the next Xbox in the fall. :D

If all else fails, we'll have Halo 4 to play on it, much like Halo 2 & the 360. :p

Jellis?
57e78.jpg

Swag for you thanks to Jessica and Jay.

Fuchsdh

Thanks for posting the controller layouts.

Default makes sense for me, so I'm set.

(I don't try and act like I'm retro superior, but I've never felt the reason to switch away. Halo's default controls always clicked for me, and returning to the single-wield system for Reach felt really good for me... didn't like bumper reloads.

Jellis?

Swag for you thanks to Jessica and Jay.

ONI patches look nice.

daedalius

Well I just finished up the underlayment for a new commission and sent it for approval, so I guess I'd be in the mood for shooting dudes for a while.

I've always played inverted and I'm right handed. Playing normal is so insanely odd for me to control in the same sense as writing successfully with my left hand. This is not to say that inversion is righties or lefties but to give a correlation of the experience I feel on normal controls.

There are quite a few theories regarding this phenomenon and I find it quite interesting, but this explanation seems the most logical and potentially provable to me:

"Down is Up?"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Look at your mouse cursor on your screen. Push forward: the cursor goes up. Pull backward: the cursor goes down.

I'm not flying a plane, I'm moving a cursor on a screen to shoot dudes.

A mouse cursor doesn't arc when you look up and down creating what the avatar you are controlling is seeing. Looking up and down in a game is like looking up and down in real life, there's a semi-circle arc to it, if there wasn't the reticle would just move up and down, you wouldn't look at the ceiling and your feet. When you look up, you're looking from zero degrees to 90 (if zero is straight ahead). That's why it feels more like you are controlling the back of the head. This is not what a mouse does, so playing non-inverted screws with my head. Thus why it makes more sense to me, to play inverted.

There really isn't a right way though. To each their own.

A mouse cursor doesn't arc when you look up and down creating what the avatar you are controlling is seeing. Looking up and down in a game is like looking up and down in real life, there's a semi-circle arc to it, if there wasn't the reticle would just move up and down, you wouldn't look at the ceiling and your feet. When you look up, you're looking from zero degrees to 90 (if zero is straight ahead). This is not what a mouse does, so playing non-inverted screws with my head. Thus why it makes more sense to me, to play inverted.

There really isn't a right way though. To each their own.

Well if you wanna get super technical, you're kinda pushing forward and pulling backward on the joystick, not up or down :p

Fuchsdh

I've always played inverted and I'm right handed. Playing normal is so insanely odd for me to control in the same sense as writing successfully with my left hand. This is not to say that inversion is righties or lefties but to give a correlation of the experience I feel on normal controls.

There are quite a few theories regarding this phenomenon and I find it quite interesting, but this explanation seems the most logical and potentially provable to me:

"Down is Up?"

That's an interesting article, thanks. It reminds me of scrolling in OS X and iOS--while I get how it's natural to move your finger "up" on the screen to scroll down, I immediately turned off "natural" scrolling in the latest version of the desktop OS because that same schema makes no sense when you're using an input device like a mouse.

IHaveIce

Banned
Hmm, not sure I'll care after H4 comes out. :p
But there are still Halo 5 and 6 which are probably also have to deal with some of the stuff that is explained there.
Hey guys couple questions.

Is glasslands a good read? Does it explain why we have to fight more covenant in Halo 4?

a good read? I don't know I found it a little bit boring, not the story itself but the writing was icecold.
But yes this is explained/ starts to be explained there

Vire

Hey guys couple questions.

Is glasslands a good read? Does it explain why we have to fight more covenant in Halo 4?

I'd advise against buying it. But that's just me...

The takeaway from the book could be summed up in less than a sentence.

RSB

Banned
I play Y inverted/X normal on shooters like Halo and Gears, but on shooters where you have to move the actual reticule across the screen (like Rez and Child of Eden) I need to play normal on both axis. Funny thing is, with 3rd person adventure games like Okami, I have to invert both X and Y.

BTW, I've never played a flight simulator of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom