• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
If you want to download the sparkast without using itunes or other programs.

btw. it is completely new and it's about Spartan Ops:
"Here's the second of our kinda sorta Comic Con-themed Sparkast. In this episode, David Ellis and Frank O'Connor welcome Chris Haluke, Greg Murphy and Josh Holmes on to talk about the past, present and future of Spartan Ops, our ongoing episode co-operative campaign launching as part of Halo 4."

thanks hyper for the link.
Now I have something to do, afterwards someone up for some Halo 3/Reach?

I'm still laughing at this one. It's the first time it happened to me, without doing it on purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3RHnZjJtM
video is private

While I know I'm in the minority and I don't exactly prefer the new menu UI to the old ones, if it's set up to work with smartglass I could at least understand how it would be helpful. Say I've got the "Halo 4 Active Roster" app downloaded to my phone and I had the 360 on waiting for people to join for matchmaking or customs, but I've got to take care of a few things first. Instead of going back in, turning back on the TV/controller, talking to everyone, etc. I can just promote someone else to party leader or get them started in matchmaking as I'm cleaning up the house/making dinner for the family/etc.

daedalius

God that halo 4 BR looks so good.

After playing some Halo 2 PC, I am longing for a hitscan BR again (with not terrible netcode that makes people eat sniper rounds; it is a pretty shitty port after all)

Also yes, thruster pack for me, always.

Great job on these games Halogaf, way to rep!

God that halo 4 BR looks so good.

After playing some Halo 2 PC, I am longing for a hitscan BR again (with not terrible netcode that makes people eat sniper rounds; it is a pretty shitty port after all)

Also yes, thruster pack for me, always.

Great job on these games Halogaf, way to rep!

Halo 4 BR looks really good, but I'm REALLY not liking 5 shot kills :\

daedalius

Halo 4 BR looks really good, but I'm REALLY not liking 5 shot kills :\

Well ellis has already said multiple times the weapon balance was still in flux; and its already been changed since the e3 build.

Of course we don't know if it is 4 shot yet, since he only said it would be 8 shot for someone here :p

People have compared it to pre-patch Halo 2 BR. Which isn't a good thing. The only thing to look forward to is hitscan.

Yea, they've also compared it to a Halo 3 BR, with hitscan and less spread. So...

Why are people saying PV is a crutch for people who can't use the radar? It clearly goes way beyond the range of the radar.

If it was only the range of radar there would be no use for it. Beyond that range gives you some edge, but at that long of a distance its not as much of a threat to be on the other side of it.

If it was only the range of radar there would be no use for it. Beyond that range gives you some edge, but at that long of a distance its not as much of a threat to be on the other side of it.

There's plenty of usage for it, even in radar range. It lets you know the orientation of the player, where, EXACTLY, he is, what weapons he is carrying...

There's plenty of usage for it, even in radar range. It lets you know the orientation of the player, where, EXACTLY, he is, what weapons he is carrying...

I guess I mean I would have no use for it. I feel like once I get used to a map and have someone on my radar, I pretty much know exactly where they are, and I'm not high level like some of you. I guess it gives some edge to be aiming at them through a wall to see exactly when and where they are going to pop out though.

Risen

Why are people saying PV is a crutch for people who can't use the radar? It clearly goes way beyond the range of the radar.

And way beyond in terms of real time information. I hate to say it... but at this point the schism seems to be more of a skill based one than anything. I've yet to see many truly skilled players discount the power of real time information, while I've seen a ton of middle of the road and lower saying it's a crutch.

Good players aren't using it as a crutch... they use it to have real time info to which they have the skill to exploit... much like radar. Good players rarely use it even when it's there, but when they do, they are better able to exploit the information they receive... and that's something with limited range and something that can be defeated by crouching.

There's a difference between relying on something in order to play, and exploiting what is available.

I guess I mean I would have no use for it. I feel like once I get used to a map and have someone on my radar, I pretty much know exactly where they are, and I'm not high level like some of you. I guess it gives some edge to be aiming at them through a wall to see exactly when and where they are going to pop out though.

And that's why the point that David tries to make over and over that "it's just a crutch" is silly. Because, until now, the only people that have stated how overpowered it really is and that have played the game...are MLG pros. And those guys, above any, are going to be the ones that know how to use the type of information that PV gives you.

So no offense to David or his skills, but I trust the guys that know how to use that information better than anyone else when they say it seems overpowered.

Now, I think it's been nerfed since the E3 build, so now it's just a wait and see.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
And that's why the point that David tries to make over and over that "it's just a crutch" is silly. Because, until now, the only people that have stated how overpowered it really is and that have played the game...are MLG pros. And those guys, above any, are going to be the ones that know how to use the type of information that PV gives you.

So no offense to David or his skills, but I trust the guys that know how to use that information better than anyone else when they say it seems overpowered.

Now, I think it's been nerfed since the E3 build, so now it's just a wait and see.

Those are also the guys, who DON'T use radar. :)

I'm not saying that I'm right in this case either. There are definitely some advantages to using PV to radar, but that usability gap is going to be much smaller to a player that uses radar information effectively.

JonCha

I don't think anyone really knows, but from the videos(and testimony from people who've ACTUALLY used it), it looks quite consistent.

Now lets hope it gets changed to 4sk.

Frank said the build in-office is pretty polished, so I don't think 4SK will happen because it'll surely mess up the weapon balance established?

And I'd like to know what the 343 guys think about the E3 version of Promethean Vision being nerfed because it's range is a bit too long, in my opinion. Filling your range of sight doesn't seem balanced.

True, it does seem like MLG players have gravitated towards it, however don't you think it could be a little bit of a mythological siren syndrome (for lack of better metaphor cause I dumb).

It seems like its awesome, it works fine. But when people have mastered thrust and the like, it's a crutch not because its completely useless, but because other selections are tested as stronger to people who have put a lengthy amount of time into the game. MLG players are awesome at any Halo, but this is all brand new content. Playing 10 games isn't going to figure everything out.

edit: I could be entirely wrong, but when awesome developers push a little knowledge, I usually give way. If they are nerfing it, I just hope its for a real reason, not because they want to keep people from freaking.

I already got the cheapo sandisk from Cyclones link. But Its pretty much gonna be used for Halo 4 and maybe some arcade games/demos. I need both USB ports for mic charging and controller charging. It's just a small hassle, but definitely beats buying a hard drive for them prices.

I'm thinking, unless I stumble upon some nice amount of money, I'm going to use USB's (and hopefully not lose them) until the Nextbox comes out.

In case you didn't see it the page prior, you know there's more than two ports correct? Also, you can use USB hubs too. Preferably powered ones of course.

Risen

I'm not saying that I'm right in this case either. There are definitely some advantages to using PV to radar, but that usability gap is going to be much smaller to a player that uses radar information effectively.

That same usability gap is going to change based on the skill of the player using the ability, or having the ability used against him.

Here's to tight MM parameters... (toasts coffee mug at monitor)

Edit: And those guys who don't use radar do play other game types as well. I'm no more than a decent player who has very good team skills, but give me a sword on Countdown with a radar and I can virtually guarantee a Slice N Dice. Put that in no radar and I'm almost surely never getting one... the difference is exploiting the information provided. Give me PV on Countdown and a sword and I'm rocking a Cutting Crew regularly. I'll be able to see that guy with a shotty crouching in a corner... and see exactly when someone is rounding a corner without the milliseconds it takes to check the radar... which can be the difference in trading a kill and an Overkill.

I don't see how its overpowered if it's optional for everyone, If its so good then they can all use it and its problem solved.

Lets be real for a second, MLG guys felt strongly that AA's screwed with what Competitive Halo was to them that's why at the very most jetpack or evade was a map pick up. Its also an entirely different ballgame its essentially apples and oranges when you compare MLG to Halo Multiplayer. What is overpowered for them is not going to translate into every other game.

As it stands it seems PV is nigh useless for someone who can read the radar well, (Again MLG plays without radar) so for them it was a "OMG I CAN SEE EVERYONE" when for myself who plays and likes radar, based on the footage iv seen my reaction is "eh ill take something that i can actually benefit from".

The whole PV is OP stuff seems very very hyperbolic to me, we wont know the real shape of AA's and how powerful they are until the game ships but if it shipped right now i cant see PV being used as actively and devastatingly as you would expect from something "overpowered"

Edit: just seen ellis post, now i look like a david slurper.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Im looking in to making my pre-order of the Legendary Edition of the game. Does anyone recall which website allows you to get the BR skin for reserving through them? Also, I think they were outside of the US... is it unwise to order through them? Are they reliable?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Couple of examples: You can't use it for anything outside of your peripheral vision, so in that regard it's less useful than motion tracker. Secondly, for "distant" opponents, who are obscured by geometry, you're not typically engaging with those people anyway.

Of course there will be exceptions to that, and that's kind of the point, but again, everyone who's played with it for any length of time ends up eschewing it for something less redundant - but it DOES help people who don't have great map/situational awareness and in some cases helps them understand the maps and motion tracker itself better.

I have no doubt at all that the MLG will eventually (or immediately) just treat it like motion tracker and either elminate it or only allow it in certain modes/circumstances.

Im looking in to making my pre-order of the Legendary Edition of the game. Does anyone recall which website allows you to get the BR skin for reserving through them? Also, I think they were outside of the US... is it unwise to order through them? Are they reliable?
Gamestop does give you a BR skin. You have to pay when they ship the game I think.

True, it does seem like MLG players have gravitated towards it, however don't you think it could be a little bit of a mythological siren syndrome (for lack of better metaphor cause I dumb).

It seems like its awesome, it works fine. But when people have mastered thrust and the like, it's a crutch not because its completely useless, but because other selections are tested as stronger to people who have put a lengthy amount of time into the game. MLG players are awesome at any Halo, but this is all brand new content. Playing 10 games isn't going to figure everything out.

I personally think that what makes PV slightly overpowered is that it's the armor ability that most apparently changes the team dynamic of the game. One person with promethean vision is given the ability to communicate more detailed information to his team, stuff that you can't get with radar, like what weapons the enemy is carrying and where he's oriented. An entire team with it would be able to know where you are about 85% of the time, depending on map size and where they're positioned.

The only other armor ability I can see having that much of an effect on the team dynamic is the auto-turret, but we know nothing about it.

Now, granted, these are my opinons that I've formed from watching gameplay and reading impressions. Honestly though, my opinions probably won't change until I'm able to play the game and prove to myself that it's not overpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom