• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Slightly delays his death, thus slightly delay his respawn, giving your team a bit more time if you are grabbing the flag at that time.

Lol at Frank's Overdoziz example in the podcast.

Keeps the opponent out of the game just a little bit longer, but then again, it also keeps you out.

Ah, makes sense. I figured it was break even since you are also tied up, but I can see a circumstantial advantage.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hmm. So I just went to Wal-Mart's website to investigate store pickup pre-orders on the LE, and it seems like it's home shipping only.

I wonder if there is any way I can pre-order with store pickup, would I have to actually go to the store to do it? I'm too lazy for that shit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Whoa.

LOL at Ghaleon's reply. So good.

:lol fuck. I was really excited to hop on the twitter and see the tweets....Then I read it lol

Couple of examples: You can't use it for anything outside of your peripheral vision, so in that regard it's less useful than motion tracker. Secondly, for "distant" opponents, who are obscured by geometry, you're not typically engaging with those people anyway.

Of course there will be exceptions to that, and that's kind of the point, but again, everyone who's played with it for any length of time ends up eschewing it for something less redundant - but it DOES help people who don't have great map/situational awareness and in some cases helps them understand the maps and motion tracker itself better.

I have no doubt at all that the MLG will eventually (or immediately) just treat it like motion tracker and either elminate it or only allow it in certain modes/circumstances.

My thing is that Radar and now seemingly Promethean Vision (TBD obviously), breed bad players. They rely on these tools rather than learning the map, learning player tendencies as well as map movement. If you asked me what makes a Halo player great, I'll name the things I just mentioned. But whatever, I'm still gonna shit on them. I feel like when I play games with radar, I'm trapped in a cage. Set me free!

As far as what MLG uses, I will be curious to see what they do. I do however wish that the settings remain as close to stock as possible. I don't wanna go playlist to playlist and feel like I'm play 2 different games.

Also, Frank, David, since you guys are here, can we get a confirmation on what those guys in the Machinima video said about not being able to zoom with automatic weapons?

Hmm. So I just went to Wal-Mart's website to investigate store pickup pre-orders on the LE, and it seems like it's home shipping only.

I wonder if there is any way I can pre-order with store pickup, would I have to actually go to the store to do it? I'm too lazy for that shit.

Ours always has a crap ton of product. Never had a problem at the 3 launches I've been to at my Wal-Mart (3, ODST, Reach). Never needed to pre-order. Then again, my city isn't exactly that big (talk about an understatement).

Risen

Couple of examples: You can't use it for anything outside of your peripheral vision, so in that regard it's less useful than motion tracker. Secondly, for "distant" opponents, who are obscured by geometry, you're not typically engaging with those people anyway.

Of course there will be exceptions to that, and that's kind of the point, but again, everyone who's played with it for any length of time ends up eschewing it for something less redundant - but it DOES help people who don't have great map/situational awareness and in some cases helps them understand the maps and motion tracker itself better.

I have no doubt at all that the MLG will eventually (or immediately) just treat it like motion tracker and either elminate it or only allow it in certain modes/circumstances.

This is just commentary... not argument for or against:

I totally get the overlap and redundant areas... and I get people deciding radar is enough information and going onto something else... I doubt I will use it that much myself simply out of personal preference in using something else more fun for ME...

but even here disregarding the knowledge of people obscured by geometry that I do not have the ability to engage is odd to me. Whether or not I can engage with them is immaterial to the usability of the information.

People wonder why it is an over-powered idea to others...

Knowing exactly where someone is at all times allows me to know exactly how to take advantage of that. It will let me know with fair certainty where the guy I can engage will spawn, and how freely I can move across the map with relative impunity. While play testing shows that people will choose other things, that has little to do with what the ability allows a person to do.

Take Jetpack in Reach... there are many who say it breaks map design, and those that will say it is a MUST use on Uncaged. Tactically it is a huge advantage on Uncaged... yet I have never once picked it, and still only use Sprint... and do just fine on the map, out of a personal preference. This doesn't change the effect the ability has on map design, nor does it speak to that. That metric for me speaks to a personal preference and has nothing to do with whether or not it's over powered.

Similarly, saying that in play testing people move on to other things doesn't tell you if it's over powered or not. It simply says that people use it "x" amount of time. The why of that could be personal preference, could be some other powerful ability, could be a feeling radar is sufficient, and more.

wwm0nkey

This is what I keep hearing from people who've actually played the game.

I'll take their impression rather than random conjecture.

You really loved getting a new rifle and not having a scope to put on it? :|

I've played it and would not compare it to the Halo 2 1.0 BR at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You really loved getting a new rifle and not having a scope to put on it? :|

That's not quite how this will work though. I like the ability to pick a "package" or something I do well at and work towards that area, getting specific unlocks as I go that may be different from someone working the sniper set.

Speaking of SOPS on the cast, Domino and I were trying to get out of the map on Cauldron. You can get pretty high up on those rocks, but the invis barrier was tricky. I think I may have found a spot though.

Speaking of SOPS, Domino and I were trying to get out of the map on Cauldron. You can get pretty high up on those rocks, but the invis barrier was tricky. I think I may have found a spot though.

Invis barrier you say, no "RETURN TO BATTLEFIELD WEE-WOO WEE-WOO WEE-WOO"?

You're doing it right, 343.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ours always has a crap ton of product. Never had a problem at the 3 launches I've been to at my Wal-Mart (3, ODST, Reach). Never needed to pre-order. Then again, my city isn't exactly that big (talk about an understatement).

Same here. All the midnight releases I've picked up, I was literally the only person there. But it is always concerning with a Halo release, let alone the fact that it's the LE. I know I'll probably get the pre-order bonus even if I don't pre-order and just end up with one of the first copies off the shelf.

CyReN

With that, this is a touchy subject, but let's say Halo 4 does amazing casually selling like it's predecessors but MLG only runs it just for 1 event and stops with gametesting and their playlist. Will there be anyway to avoid this "competitive limbo" with their settings again like we are in with Reach right now for Halo 4?

With that, this is a touchy subject, but let's say Halo 4 does amazing casually selling like it's predecessors but MLG only runs it just for 1 event and stops with gametesting. Will there be anyway to avoid this "competitive limbo" with their settings again like we are in with Reach?

I fear that MLG is going to devote less time to playtesting Halo 4 because of Reach's competitive failure, and this might speed up its demise. To give it just 1 event wouldn't be giving it a fair shake imo.

Yes, I was never told to return and I found some places that certainly weren't play spaces.

I can only hope that this applies to campaign as well.

CyReN

I fear that MLG is going to devote less time to playtesting Halo 4 because of Reach's competitive failure, and this might speed up its demise. To give it just 1 event wouldn't be giving it a fair shake imo.

That is what I fear, Killa KC is no longer doing gametesting and they have new people in there, and in the past there has been quite a "divide" with settings already from MLG and the Halo community there. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

daedalius

With that, this is a touchy subject, but let's say Halo 4 does amazing casually selling like it's predecessors but MLG only runs it just for 1 event and stops with gametesting and their playlist. Will there be anyway to avoid this "competitive limbo" with their settings again like we are in with Reach right now for Halo 4?

Well, there could just be a Team Hardcore playlist, and someone else (including 343) could try to set up events.

MLG clearly has no desire to pursue Halo.

That is what I fear, Killa KC is no longer doing gametesting and they have new people in there, and in the past there has been quite a "divide" with settings already from MLG and the Halo community there. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

The base Halo 4 game seems much, MUCH better than Reach, so I really feel that if they devoted the time to it they could find that competitive balance that they really want out of it that they struggled to find in Reach.

It's going to be there, but it'll take work.

cocamola

Banned
Yeah trust me I think A LOT of people will like the Halo 4 BR if not then the DMR is pretty beastly too lol

Was it Bestman who was saying the DMR makes the BR redundant in the hands of a skilled player, because if you can aim well enough it can be used mid range also?
Wonder if this is the case.

I know I will be using BR regardless all day. I miss that thing.

Good to hear; pretty much have heard that from Biggie and Domino as well.
And even at 5 shots, the game is so fast paced that the kills feel quick and satisfying.

Was it Bestman who was saying the DMR makes the BR redundant in the hands of a skilled player, because if you can aim well enough it can be used mid range also?
Wonder if this is the case.

I know I will be using BR regardless all day. I miss that thing.
The BR allows for more error and is faster paced, but the DMR was growing on me.

And even at 5 shots, the game is so fast paced that the kills feel quick and satisfying.

Eh, I'm still not convinced I'll like it. It seemed great on Haven, but the amount of corners and such on Adrift made it really seem like the 5 shot kills allowed people to get away pretty easy.

of course, you've played, I haven't, so...

wwm0nkey

Eh, I'm still not convinced I'll like it. It seemed great on Haven, but the amount of corners and such on Adrift made it really seem like the 5 shot kills allowed people to get away pretty easy.

I did that 23/3 game on adrift with a BR and landed an overkill with it too. As long as you chase them they will have a hard time getting away.

IHaveIce

Banned
god I played 3 games of reach and I'm again done.. I can't take it anymore .. this playlists everything. It's bullshit.

Unbelieveable that really no one has the time to do a single good update at 343. Hire Juices.

I think I keep playing Halo 3 till Halo 4. Even with the worse netcode it is better than this crap

daedalius

It does fire very fast; at least as fast as the Halo 2 BR if not quicker.

I think 4sk, but the 11th bullet breaks the shield, and the 12th is the headshot, would be fine. You'd have to be very sure all of your shots are connecting, and then be right on the head for the last one.

Same here. All the midnight releases I've picked up, I was literally the only person there. But it is always concerning with a Halo release, let alone the fact that it's the LE. I know I'll probably get the pre-order bonus even if I don't pre-order and just end up with one of the first copies off the shelf.

Well, it's not that sparse here at least. For H3, there were about a dozen of us, and my friend and I were the 2nd and 3rd people to get the game. Contrast that with the fact that there were 3 large pallets of product, including at least 30 or so legendary editions and a couple hundred standard and le or whatever.

For Reach, there were maybe 20 or so people, everyone was just chillin' and actually just excited for the game (unlike the 100+ people lined up freezing outside Gamestop - which SHARES A PARKING LOT WITH THE WAL-MART). The WM employees brought out Halo-themed drinks and cookies and stuff. Everyone, no matter which version you got, recieved a Halo: Reach beenie cap, lanyard, etc. They had prize drawings. And, to top it all off, everyone that bought the game at midnight got $25 off at the register.

Say what you will about Wal-Mart, but at least in my town, they know how to throw a Halo release party :)

Sai-kun

Banned
As far as I can tell, I'm now in for Pax Prime (pending one small issue).

PnWX4.gif

ADAPT! (sprint helps a lot)

I guess so, but I'm still hoping "Don't chase." remains one of the 10 commandments of Halo.

Listening to this Sparkast, talking about specializations, it really gives me the impression that reaching the level cap isn't going to be as much of a grind as it was in Reach. This is a good thing.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Well, it's not that sparse here at least. For H3, there were about a dozen of us, and my friend and I were the 2nd and 3rd people to get the game. Contrast that with the fact that there were 3 large pallets of product, including at least 30 or so legendary editions and a couple hundred standard and le or whatever.

For Reach, there were maybe 20 or so people, everyone was just chillin' and actually just excited for the game (unlike the 100+ people lined up freezing outside Gamestop - which SHARES A PARKING LOT WITH THE WAL-MART). The WM employees brought out Halo-themed drinks and cookies and stuff. Everyone, no matter which version you got, recieved a Halo: Reach beenie cap, lanyard, etc. They had prize drawings. And, to top it all off, everyone that bought the game at midnight got $25 off at the register.

Say what you will about Wal-Mart, but at least in my town, they know how to throw a Halo release party :)

It was actually really depressing when I went to the midnight release of Mortal Kombat. They had a little tent setup inside with the game on display, and literally one person was playing it, and they weren't even there to buy the game. I waited 10 minutes for them to place the copies on shelves, picked up the first one, and paid for it all alone. The cashier was like "Here is a poster for being one of the first to purchase. :_\" My guess is they were giving those posters out throughout the next 24 hours based on how few people seemed to care about the game.

Mass Effect 3, same exact thing except no display, and no poster.

Shitty town, shitty release nights.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
We need to start planning the HaloGaf PAX meet-up. Get 343 there. Preferably at night for drinks this time instead of breakfast (or both!). :p

EDIT: HaloGaf meet-up at 343 studios for Halo 4 play night. (In my dreams).

Risen

I want to see Team Hardcore return... provided H4 core game play is as good as it is reported. I have lost interest in MLG as an organization putting on Halo events. I much preferred the last Redbull LAN in terms of presentation. I hope there is more of that to come.

Keep in mind how much stronger it would be in gametypes that don't have radar though.

daedalius

I guess so, but I'm still hoping "Don't chase." remains one of the 10 commandments of Halo.

Listening to this Sparkast, talking about specializations, it really gives me the impression that reaching the level cap isn't going to be as much of a grind as it was in Reach. This is a good thing.

Which sparkast is this in?

I swear I listened to the one where Frank talks about Spongebob.

I want to see Team Hardcore return... provided H4 core game play is as good as it is reported. I have lost interest in MLG as an organization putting on Halo events. I much preferred the last Redbull LAN in terms of presentation. I hope there is more of that to come.

Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom