• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, The Reach jetpack negates the entire point of map design and completely disrupts map flow. I wish they would've limited it a little more.

The Jetpack in Reach disrupts map flow, sure, but any Jetpack will do that when there wasn't a Jetpack in its previous iterations. Halo 1 with Jetpacks wouldn't have been as bad because the killtimes are very fast and every weapon was powerful. I just wouldn't hate on the Jetpack (even though it's hard not to) until we've seen it in a game where the gameplay is more visceral and not sluggish.

Daedalius, not even the loudest dissenter will care what Jackals looks like in Halo 4 once the game releases. Relax, bro, it's just opinions man.

No, lots of people will care, but people will deal with it like always and just like always the designs will probably be changed in Halo 5.
The cycle continues.

Still looks like a lizard bird, so I pretty much fail to see the complaints anyway.

New artists, etc etc.
It isn't visually consistent.

People always complain when their beloved fictional universe gets a visual overhaul, but if the execution of the overall product is good enough those people usually forget their initial complaints.

In my opinion the new design of some stuff don't exactly seem like an improvement and especially not a "natural evolution".

I disagree that the changes are just to be different. I think 343 wants Campaign/Fiction Halo to move away from the silliness that Bungie injected into it. To me, the changes to the grunts, and jackals makes them look more threatening and less goofy than the have looked in past games. I don't get the same feeling from the changes to the elites, but that's just because those particular changes don't make them look scarier to me, and I think they already looked pretty threatening to begin with.

B wzy

Neo Member
No, lots of people will care, but people will deal with it like always and just like always the designs will probably be changed in Halo 5.
The cycle continues.

It isn't visually consistent.

How can you imply that its not consistent with the multiple variants we have played with? Yes, its different, but its still a Jackal. If you watch the gameplay, I can't see anyone confusing it with other species.

Slaker117

But can't you see these designers want to redesign everything, to show they are making it and its not the same as the old team. No they don't need to, but they will (actually if they didn't redesign a bunch of shit everyone would just bitch it was lifted from reach)

So like I said, damned if they do and damned if they don't. I can personally see exactly why they are choosing to redesign a lot of things, and of course this also has a lot to do with the art director's vision; and the art director happened to spend a lot of time designing monsters for doom. I'm a fan, but obviously some are not.

I'm fine with them redesigning things within limit. I think the new Elites and Grunts look fine, for example. It's just that when you take something like the Jackal which has always had a frail, dainty figure and give it this massive, bulging neck and brooding face, in rubs me the wrong way. The Jackal's old design gave me a sense that they were some sort of scavenger species, vicious, but not out right aggressive, and that fit well with their gameplay role. The new design makes them look more like straight ahead monsters. That shift in tone bothers me.

kylej

Banned
I don't care about redesigns, I care about artists adding too many superfluous elements to multiplayer maps in an attempt to tell a story with the setting. I like smooth walls and bright colors. Huge, convoluted maps with lots of detail are very impressive to reviewers when they play the game for 4 hours this November, the problem is how those maps hold up 2 years after release. Less is more.

So, I noticed nobody is talking about the new Jackal design-

oGvnl.png

Godzilla? Pls, that shit looks like the Kraken.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I just bought a pair of turtle beach xp500 wireless headset....verdict: piece of shit. Fake surround sound suck my surround sound system do 1000000x better job ( not fair comparing a 2000$ surround sound system to 250$ head set I know) and because of interference the sound cut :s this is going back to futureshop first thing in the morning.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Looks like a jackal to me. What are the iconic features of the jackal? A long, reptilian head, bony frame, plumes/scales and a shield. Checks out.
It really doesn't seem to be retaining any of its avian qualities. It's also not original.

lWhlq.jpg

Fjxa5.jpg

Art stuff and all that. Makes me more annoyed than usual bitching.

Its still a lizard bird. It is consistent enough.

It doesn't really matter that it is still a "Lizard Bird", it still doesn't look like a Jackal and that annoys the crap out of me. I think a good example of a series Halo could learn a lot from in terms of visual consistency is Star Wars.

daedalius

I'm fine with them redesigning things within limit. I think the new Elites and Grunts look fine, for example. It's just that when you take something like the Jackal which has always had a frail, dainty figure and give it this massive, bulging neck and brooding face, in rubs me the wrong way. The Jackal's old design gave me a sense that they were some sort of scavenger species, vicious, but not out right aggressive, and that fit well with their gameplay role. The new design makes them look more like straight ahead monsters. That shift in tone bothers me.

Well, the art director stated he wanted to make all of the covenant species look more menacing/monstrous.

There is your shift in tone.

It doesn't really matter that it is still a "Lizard Bird", it still doesn't look like a Jackal and that annoys the crap out of me. I think a good example of a series Halo could learn a lot from in terms of visual consistency is Star Wars.

No thanks. I don't think the art team needs to 'learn' anything from star wars.

I just bought a pair of turtle beach xp500 wireless headset....verdict: piece of shit. Fake surround sound suck my surround sound system do 1000000x better job ( not fair comparing a 2000$ surround sound system to 250$ head set I know) and because of interference the sound cut :s this is going back to futureshop first thing in the morning.

Team Monster Balls has long known the failings of the wireless Turtle Beach headset. I haven't heard a single good review. Team Tritton GO!

Slaker117

Well, the art director stated he wanted to make all of the covenant species look more menacing/monstrous.

There is your shift in tone.

Right. And that changes the character of an entire species. Sure, they have the right to do it, it's their game, but that doesn't mean you get to dismiss all criticism as empty bitching.

But ultimately,
It's not a super big deal.

It's just annoying and unneeded. Kind of disappointing.
this. It's not a deal breaker, though I don't have to like it.

MrBig

Even the best surround headset will sound like shit with their tiny drivers. If you want good sound hardly any speaker system will beat some nice cans.

Its so annoying how noone can make a good wireless headset in 2012. In 2012!™

WIRELEESSSSSS. IT MEANS THERES NO FUCKING WIRES! NOT ONE OR TWO. NONE. WIRELESSSSSS.

Fuchsdh

No thanks. I don't think the art team needs to 'learn' anything from star wars.

If 343i had taken their cues from whoever designed the Clone Troopers, yeah, I'd be happier.

From these...
Clone_Troopers_Phase_I.jpg

clonetroopers_detail.png

to this
StormTrooper1.jpg

Is a pretty consistent evolution. All the armor looks good on its own, and if you were ignorant of the series I don't think you'd be able to tell which design came first.

Compare that to the whole MJOLNIR issues we're talking about.

Yeah, Lucas killed a lot of the wonder of the universe, but whenever I think about the prequels I always remember they nailed this. The artists got to design something cool AND stayed consistent.

It's not that hard.

If 343i had taken their cues from whoever designed the Clone Troopers, yeah, I'd be happier.

From these...

to this

Is a pretty consistent evolution. All the armor looks good on its own, and if you were ignorant of the series I don't think you'd be able to tell which design came first.

Compare that to the whole MJOLNIR issues we're talking about.

Yeah, Lucas killed a lot of the wonder of the universe, but whenever I think about the prequels I always remember they nailed this. The artists got to design something cool AND stayed consistent.

It's not that hard.
My point exactly.

Boot up Reach for first time in a week, go into Arena. Asylum voted for, load failure, sword base then voted for. 2 minutes in and my team is down 10-2 cause my randoms keep going up the lift to be killed by the sword. Done with Reach for a while.

I'll be on Halo 3 in a bit, Aggro/Bergmann

willow ve

this. Before they were birds that were quick, agile, and could snipe like a badass. Now they're a cracken/godzilla/reptile mashup that probably couldn't hold a gun with their T-Rex arms.

Aggrotek

Boot up Reach for first time in a week, go into Arena. Asylum voted for, load failure, sword base then voted for. 2 minutes in and my team is down 10-2 cause my randoms keep going up the lift to be killed by the sword. Done with Reach for a while.

I'll be on Halo 3 in a bit, Aggro/Bergmann
Lol epic.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The Jackal looks fine to me, people trippin' over nothing. Like any of you are going to throw your controllers down in disgust on the 6th because the jackal doesn't have a beak, lol.
No one was trippin', the whole conversation was relatively civil before Daedalius flipped his keyboard in an uproar. People were just voicing their distaste on a redesign of an enemy whose design was already established. It's one thing to add your own flair it's another to give it a gears dino head.
Wow, I had completely forgotten about Skirmishers, talk about a throw away enemy.
That's because Reach isn't memorable in spite of the tagline.

ElRenoRaven

this. Before they were birds that were quick, agile, and could snipe like a badass. Now they're a cracken/godzilla/reptile mashup that probably couldn't hold a gun with their T-Rex arms.

I think you both nail it for me. The gameplay is looking like it's going to be good but shit who ever is redesigning everything sucks. You can change things up somewhat and make them your own but don't just blatantly change things just to change it. That's all it seems that 343 is doing design wise.

Speaking of redesigns........
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/DSCF3096-570x760.jpg[IMG]
.....gross[/QUOTE]

Ugh don't remind me. I've loved the designs so far in both Iron Man movies and Avengers but I really hope that one doesn't see the light of day in 3. I really don't. It's a prime example of screwing with shit just to do it. There is no reason to throw a ton more gold onto the suit. None at all.

Karl2177

Reach enemies, but not because of design necessarily. More because of the language. Although I did like some of the elites.

I think that's where we differ. I liked the Halo 2 and 3 enemies a bit more because it wasn't always so serious. I can understand some aspects of making them feel really alien, but to me it lost quite a bit of personality. I really wished the IWHBYD skull made them more like the trilogy enemies in their dialogue, instead of what it did(did it even do anything in Reach?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom