• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

I think that's where we differ. I liked the Halo 2 and 3 enemies a bit more because it wasn't always so serious. I can understand some aspects of making them feel really alien, but to me it lost quite a bit of personality. I really wished the IWHBYD skull made them more like the trilogy enemies in their dialogue, instead of what it did(did it even do anything in Reach?).

You know I'm all for making them more vicious looking but surely they could do that while keeping them looking somewhat like they have in every damn other form of media they've been shown in.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think that's where we differ. I liked the Halo 2 and 3 enemies a bit more because it wasn't always so serious. I can understand some aspects of making them feel really alien, but to me it lost quite a bit of personality. I really wished the IWHBYD skull made them more like the trilogy enemies in their dialogue, instead of what it did(did it even do anything in Reach?).

Yeah I can see that, but Halo 1 was so amazing to me because of how alien everything felt. With the overall design in 4 I get that feeling again. From the enemy design, all the way down to the trees on the maps.

I don't want the enemies to feel cheesy and hokey, and be joking around and yelling things about food nipples (still funny as hell though). I want them to be the Covenant I visualize when I read the fiction. Ruthless, honor-bound, don't take shit from nobody (except maybe Grunts).

Not that I hated the 2/3 enemies, I just prefer the more alien and hostile feel.

Rumour has it they're making a reboot to the Godzilla franchise.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/15/godzilla-reboot-comic-con/
Not a Rumor, it was announced like a year ago.

Speaking of redesigns........
DSCF3096-570x760.jpg

.....gross
Not a redesign, it's a new suit of armor.

daedalius

No one was trippin', the whole conversation was relatively civil before Daedalius flipped his keyboard in an uproar. People were just voicing their distaste on a redesign of an enemy whose design was already established. It's one thing to add your own flair it's another to give it a gears dino head.

That's because Reach isn't memorable in spite of the tagline.

Keyboards were indeed flipped.

Perhaps clowns was not the right descriptor. I was referring to those who would criticize a change, but at the same time complain if something was not changed.

I think its fine to not like the design, personally I do, but I also like the fact they are trying to go with a more menacing feel to the Covenant, where before a lot of them came off as goofy (especially pre-reach grunts).

The main thrust of my grievance was that a brand new art team is going to change things, regardless of if they 'need' change or not.

Also, I still think it looks like a damn lizard bird.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Does anyone object to me giving Sai the xxs shirt?
Yes.
Keyboards were indeed flipped.

Perhaps clowns was not the right descriptor. I was referring to those who would criticize a change, but at the same time complain if something was not changed.

I think its fine to not like the design, personally I do, but I also like the fact they are trying to go with a more menacing feel to the Covenant, where before a lot of them came off as goofy (especially pre-reach grunts).

The main thrust of my grievance was that a brand new art team is going to change things, regardless of if they 'need' change or not.

Also, I still think it looks like a damn lizard bird.
Fair enough.

edit:

Now my main gripe seems to be that it seems as though they're all trending towards a reptilian-esque design as they all look as though they have the same rough/scaled arms even the grunts.

a zoojoo

Banned
Not a redesign, it's a new suit of armor.

I'm talking about from a production standpoint, not a fiction standpoint. It's a redesign. And a fugly one at that. It's not even the design itself, it's the "replacement" for the gold they've used prevously. If they reverted the tan back to gold, i would love it.

I'm talking about from a production standpoint, not a fiction standpoint. It's a redesign. And a fugly one at that. It's not even the design itself, it's the "replacement" for the gold they've used prevously. If they reverted the tan back to gold, i would love it.

Put some more red on that bitch too.

daedalius

Yes.

Fair enough.

edit: Now my main gripe seems to be that they really seemed to all be trending towards reptilian and they literally all seem to share the same rough/scaled arms even the grunts.

You want Brutes back, don't try to deny it... with their luscious fur coats.

EDIT: and you know that the GL is my favorite weapon in Halo Reach.

Sorry for the slow reply. I was watching Indie Game: The Movie (to further satiate my SMB fetish). Firstly, holy shit! Heckfu made Fez! Also, good movie.

Secondly, I know that it is your favorite biggy and I trust you. I just had to get my feelings down. Thanks to my schooling, my job, and well, me, I'm a huge math nerd and stuff like the GL just turned me on. As does finding sexy 'nade throws in Halo games. As do puzzle games (speaking of which, if anyone plays Bejeweled Blitz Live or Lumines, let me know).

Who knows? Maybe the GL will allow me to look at Reach in the future and will shine through my nostalgia glasses as what made me enjoy the game. Despite its problems, I genuinely enjoy it now (playlist mismanagement is a shame). Here's to November bringing us back to the golden days! :)

EDIT: Crap! I forgot an obligatory "do the math" joke :(

Tawpgun

Just took a look at the E3 vid. Their necks are a lot bigger. But the close up of them really makes them look like a completley different covenant enemy.

Fuchsdh

Heh, that's true. Though I didn't really notice any big changes when I viewed that. Anyone has that GIF were you see the jackel pushing the grunt?

Well we really didn't see them close enough to judge the changes. I thought they'd thickened up the neck, and that was about it.

The Iron Man suit with the overuse of tan does look bad, though. Who signed off on that paint job?

Slaker117

If there are still free patches or avatar armor or whatever up for grabs, I would enjoy one, though I feel kind of bad asking as a new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom