• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Was the snow level on the work-in-progress Halo in Halo 3 based in the snow environment we explore in CE? Wasn't it a 1:1 rebuild on 04?

Well, the collapsing structure is the same structure as the Silent Cartographer island. Otherwise I thought they differed slightly.
IslandCompare.jpg

Yup. And the last part of the escape run is Silent Cartographer. The first part isn't exactly 1:1 though.. no rock bridge.

Are you sure it's 1:1 besides the rock bridge? That area feels so much smaller in Halo 3 than it does in CE, and it feels like the battle up to the control room is smaller as well.

Karl2177

Are you sure it's 1:1 besides the rock bridge? That area feels so much smaller in Halo 3 than it does in CE, and it feels like the battle up to the control room is smaller as well.

It's different. CE had a diagonal pathway up, while Halo 3's are platforms with ramps.

m23

Also if the 720 does not support Xbox Originals like Halo CE and Halo 2, Halo 2 will have to be remade in some way

I think they probably will be playable. The 360 I believe used software to make backwards compatibility work rather than using hardware, so I don't see why they can't do the same for the next console. I've also got a crapload of arcade games that hope will transfer over. I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.

New ME3 maps are out!!!

FyreWulff

There's some artistic liberty in terms of the flow of the design so that you have to make your way up in a specific way, but it's pretty much the same.. or at least based off the geometry. There's also the fact that there's Halo 1's super wide FOV versus Halo 3's narrow FOV to play into what size it looks like.

Havok

Frankie's tweet about Halo 4's cutscene got me wondering how the total runtime for Halo 4's cutscenes will compare to previous games. I tried to look up total runtimes for past Halo games, but my Google skills were failing me. I think Halo 1 rounds out about 55 minutes, and Halo 2 has about 75 minutes worth.

I wonder if it's longer than Halo 2, or has the longest runtime of any Halo game to date.
Using a rough count from HBO's Cutscene Library, Halo 2 is just under 60 minutes, give or take, CE's is about 40 minutes, Halo 3's is at around 55 minutes, ODST at about 45, and Reach, surprisingly, is a little over 60 minutes.

Very rough counts, some of CE and ODST's tiny in-mission vignettes weren't counted because doing this in my head was already confusing enough and I'm too stupid to take the ten seconds to find a pen and paper, the co-op variants weren't included, and some of those figures are surely a few minutes off. That includes credit sequences and epilogues, as well.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Mastrbiggy should tell you about the fact that Greg Bear told him the Silentium poster may or may not have a huge spoiler/revelation regarding Halo.

*creates shit storm, bails out, leaves mastrbiggy completely responsible*

I was part of that conversation, and that is not what Greg said.

I'm really interested in how long the campaign is; Halo 1, 2 and 3 were roughly on part in terms of mission count and play through length.
Well technically Halo 2 had 15 missions, with 13 being full length missions. :p

I know I'm going to get slapped with some Halo 3 defense force here, but I've always felt that Halo 2's campaign felt larger in scale and more grandiose/epic in scale than any of the other Halo games and that was in large part due to the fantastic cinematics and a very good script. I hope for that aspect in Halo 4.
So what's happening with the tournament?

Team Wu is the on the march, which curiously didn't have any Wu on it during the second round.

heckfu

Banned
Well technically Halo 2 had 15 missions, with 13 being full length missions. :p

I know I'm going to get slapped with some Halo 3 defense force here, but I've always felt that Halo 2's campaign felt larger in scale and more grandiose/epic in scale than any of the other Halo games and that was in large part due to the fantastic cinematics and a very good script. I hope for that aspect in Halo 4.

Team Wu is the on the march, which curiously didn't have any Wu on it during the second round.

He had to sit out because we could only round up 3.

I don't think it's controversial to state Halo 2 was better at conveying scale through its cutscenes than Halo 3's did. However, Halo 3's gameplay was better at conveying a sense of scale than Halo 2's. I do wish Halo 3 had better cinematics – it would've given an even greater push to the game's already large sense of scale.

I don't think it's controversial to state Halo 2 was better at conveying scale through its cutscenes than Halo 3's did. However, Halo 3's gameplay was better at conveying a sense of scale than Halo 2.

But Halo 2 overall was better at conveying a sense of adventure and exploration.

Delta Halo has the best scenery and architecture of anything I remember from the Halo series.

No invisible barriers every 5 feet also allowed you to not only approach combat from unorthodox positions but also escape levels completely.

Will never forget climbing the mountains on Delta Halo with a Ghost... spent 5+ hours just going everywhere.

Woorloog

Banned
But Halo 2 overall was better at conveying a sense of adventure and exploration.

Delta Halo has the best scenery and architecture of anything I remember from the Halo series.

No invisible barriers every 5 feet also allowed you to not only approach combat from unorthodox positions but also escape levels completely.

Will never forget climbing the mountains on Delta Halo with a Ghost... spent 5+ hours just going everywhere.

Are you me?
I need Halo 2 Anniversary, i want to explore all the maps with brand new graphics, so much fun.

heckfu

Banned
Pax-goers, can we promise one night that we can go get adult beverages and karaoke?

I have an itch that only Garth can scratch.

Halo 2 had the best cutscene. Hell it had even one of the best intros in a video game. "There was only one ship"

Pax-goers, can we promise one night that we can go get adult beverages and karaoke?

Oh. I am staying in my hotel room. :(

Quick question: Were those areas intended to be accessible by Bungie? Because Halo 2's level were pretty linear.

I don't think it's controversial to state Halo 2 was better at conveying scale through its cutscenes than Halo 3's did. However, Halo 3's gameplay was better at conveying a sense of scale than Halo 2's. I do wish Halo 3 had better cinematics – it would've given an even greater push to the game's already large sense of scale.
I'd agree to an extent, Halo 3 did have some huge scaled encounters which were great, but there is still something in the entire combination of Halo 2, including level design that has that huge sci-fi epic/mysterious feel that isn't really matched in the other games.

Frankie karaoke confirmed.

When does Silentium release? I'm not much of a fan of the story so far, but I've gone this far, might as well read the conclusion to the strangeness.

Swarmerr

Just saying I feel lost without halocouncil.com. Its like living under a big giant rock that blocks out all halo news...

Whoever is ddosing halocouncil... Please stop :/

GhaleonEB

Agree. I think it really comes down to the writing, which is something we don't have a sense of yet in Halo 4. I'm dreaming of a game with gameplay as good as Halo 3, story telling as good as Halo 2, melded with Halo 1's sense of ancient mystery and exploration, done in a new style. A boy can dream.

(Not literally looking for that, just using them as touchstones.)

I'd agree to an extent, Halo 3 did have some huge scaled encounters which were great, but there is still something in the entire combination of Halo 2, including level design that has that huge sci-fi epic/mysterious feel that isn't really matched in the other games.

I feel the same way. That's not to say the rest were underwhelming, because they aren't.

Seeing stuff like this was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom