• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
I honestly expect nothing less.

I'm expecting the exact opposite of what Ghaleon described. Worst of each... Hmm. That would mean another Reach campaign...
Anyway, that way, i can be very positively surprised and in the worst case, at least i won't be disappointed really.

Doesn't work in practice this way though...

Karl2177

Overdoziz

Banned
How the hell did you miss that?
I didn't notice it until a few years back when I replayed the campaign. Bungie has never really been good at pointing us towards cool stuff. Even in Reach during the level New Alexandria it's easy to miss the cruisers glassing the city.

See Elzar! Pay up!

How would you like your monies?

I didn't notice it until a few years back when I replayed the campaign. Bungie has never really been good at pointing us towards awesome stuff. Even in Reach during the level New Alexandria it's easy to miss the cruisers glassing the city.

I like that though, it's more subtle than say, hey look, we programmed something cool, press Y to look at it. We said look at it!!!

Woorloog

Banned
I didn't notice it until a few years back when I replayed the campaign. Bungie has never really been good at pointing us towards awesome stuff. Even in Reach during the level New Alexandria it's easy to miss the cruisers glassing the city.

Easy?

I must be some sort of anomaly, i always notice stuff like that in games easily...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I didn't notice it until a few years back when I replayed the campaign. Bungie has never really been good at pointing us towards cool stuff. Even in Reach during the level New Alexandria it's easy to miss the cruisers glassing the city.

I agree here. Although I dislike the "HOLD A TO SEE AWESOME SCENERY" thing, Bungie didn't (always) do a great job at making you notice awesome scenery. Maybe that was their intention, for us to discover it on replay. Who knows.

Overdoziz

Banned
I like that though, it's more subtle than say, hey look, we programmed something cool, press Y to look at it. We said look at it!!!
Valve does it a lot better with Half-Life (and maybe Portal) where they always do something to draw your attention. In the developer commentary they talk about how to make people look in a certain direction to see stuff happen.
I think the problem with Halo games so far is that every time something like that happened there was already a ton of other shit happening simultaneously. When the Sentinel factory crashes a lot of people are busy fighting the enemies that are right in front of you. When the cruisers in New Alexandria glass the city I imagine a lot of people still being busy fighting off Banshees or flying towards the next objective.

Slaker117

I'd have to agree with this. I like the fact that they don't feel the need to shove it in your face, but I've missed a lot of those moments on my first time through only to catch them on replays. Though in another way, it's pretty cool that I could replay a level from a years old game and still see something new that I never noticed before.

m23

I really need to continue my playthrough of Halo 2. Its been such a long time since I've beaten the campaign I've forgot all the great moments. Maybe after I complete Witcher 2.

Just booked my Imax seats for Dark Knight, too bad its next weekend, hopefully nobody ruins too much of the movie. I'm gonna need to stay away from Facebook for a bit.

Karl2177

How would you like your monies?

image.php

GhaleonEB

I'm expecting the exact opposite of what Ghaleon described. Worst of each... Hmm. That would mean another Reach campaign...
Anyway, that way, i can be very positively surprised and in the worst case, at least i won't be disappointed really.

Doesn't work in practice this way though...

wat

Tawpgun

Halo 2 had the best cutscene. Hell it had even one of the best intros in a video game. "There was only one ship"

Oh. I am staying in my hotel room. :(

That feel. I know it. Fuckin America.

I know Duncan had a camera with him for PAX East. But someone, whether Duncan or not, should record all these shenanigans and make a HaloGAF IRLtage

Agree. I think it really comes down to the writing, which is something we don't have a sense of yet in Halo 4. I'm dreaming of a game with gameplay as good as Halo 3, story telling as good as Halo 2, melded with Halo 1's sense of ancient mystery and exploration, done in a new style. A boy can dream.

(Not literally looking for that, just using them as touchstones.)
With Halo CE's weapon sandbox!

...oh. Dreamcrusher.jpg
I feel the same way. That's not to say the rest were underwhelming, because they aren't.

Seeing stuff like this was incredible.
So good. Covenant arc/perspective in H2 is my favorite thing in Halo. Humanity is largely uninteresting in the game IMO.
Yeah I remember Bungie talking about doing stuff like that in Halo 2 were they wanted to do stuff like that without a cinematic, but they never quite figured out how to draw a players attention to that stuff.

Edit: Off-topic for days, but next BF3 expansion will have a snow level. AWWWWWWW YEAH (trailer at 6AM Pacific time tomorrow)

Woorloog

Banned

Yeah, i kinda expect Halo 4 to combine the worst of each Halo campaign. What exactly is worst of each is something i haven't bothered to determine...
Anyway, i expect the worst and i cannot be disappointed... but i can be positively surprised.

Pre-ordered limited edition, always playing Halos for single player too, staying for multiplayer.

Swarmerr

I really need to continue my playthrough of Halo 2. Its been such a long time since I've beaten the campaign I've forgot all the great moments. Maybe after I complete Witcher 2.

Just booked my Imax seats for Dark Knight, too bad its next weekend, hopefully nobody ruins too much of the movie. I'm gonna need to stay away from Facebook for a bit.

I have been thinking about doing a complete playthrough of all the halos on heroic. Lol I don't want to legendary by myself. (I can find many other ways to frustrate myself lol)

Question.. Should I do it?

Slaker117

I have been thinking about doing a complete playthrough of all the halos on heroic. Lol I don't want to legendary by myself. (I can find many other ways to frustrate myself lol)

I recently played through Halo 1 and 2 over a week and it was a lot of fun revisiting those memories. Been thinking about doing the same with 3 and ODST, but they seem too recent for the same type of warm nostalgic feelings to kick in.

lawful

Banned

Are you kidding me? Starting early-mid September I will be playing through the 5 FPS Halo campaigns solo Legendary Mythic skull activated where applicable in chronological order (Reach>CE(A)>2>ODST>3).

I would do Wars... but fuck that. I beat that campaign on Legendary once and that is one too many times. I had to do it co-op because I haven't played Starcraft since 1999 and Wars is a merciless bitch on Legendary.

Karl2177

How can you hate it

For starters, "Quarantine Zone" had horrible, mismatched pacing. You'll start off in a fast vehicle, switch to a slow one, be forced out on foot, get in a slow vehicle again, get out on foot, and eventually work your way into the worst Halo 2 encounter on the floating platform of endless Flood. The enemies throughout the mission are almost all Flood or they are Sentinels, which doesn't create a great variety of enemies. The best way through the mission on Heroic or Legendary is to abuse the camo. Many of the Flood are given heavy ordinance such as Rockets or Tanks, which anyone will say "sucks for gameplay". That and it has one of the most anti-climactic parts of the game(probably only beaten out by the ending of the game itself) in which you have a tense(but bullshit) fight on the floating platform and walk into a flood infested area. Where you fight nothing.

It is probably the worst or second worst mission gameplay wise of Halo 2. But with that being said, it is nowhere near as bad as "Cortana" or "The Library".

Cortana is prettier, and shorter. I'd also say The Library is less arduous as you can snipe the two Rocket guys easily.
Cortana: the ranged Flood forms make it so much worse. Even if you know how to beat them(Plasma Rifles at range) it's still such a monotonous task dealing with them.

The Library: It is infinitely respawning Flood. No mission can be any worse. Fun fact: It's the only FPS Halo campaign mission that I have never beat on Legendary. I usually quit when I reach the first elevator and say "Fuck this. I'm not dealing with 3 more floors of this shit."

Fuchsdh

For starters, "Quarantine Zone" had horrible, mismatched pacing. You'll start off in a fast vehicle, switch to a slow one, be forced out on foot, get in a slow vehicle again, get out on foot, and eventually work your way into the worst Halo 2 encounter on the floating platform of endless Flood. The enemies throughout the mission are almost all Flood or they are Sentinels, which doesn't create a great variety of enemies. The best way through the mission on Heroic or Legendary is to abuse the camo. Many of the Flood are given heavy ordinance such as Rockets or Tanks, which anyone will say "sucks for gameplay". That and it has one of the most anti-climactic parts of the game(probably only beaten out by the ending of the game itself) in which you have a tense(but bullshit) fight on the floating platform and walk into a flood infested area. Where you fight nothing.

It is probably the worst or second worst mission gameplay wise of Halo 2. But with that being said, it is nowhere near as bad as "Cortana" or "The Library".

Cortana is prettier, and shorter. I'd also say The Library is less arduous as you can snipe the two Rocket guys easily.

m23

I would recommend doing it in co-op. So much more fun. My friends and I recently did Anniversary and Halo 3 in co-op, it was tons of fun. I'll probably be replaying them a little bit later, closer to launch.

FyreWulff

I don't own a cell phone. Well, not an active one. I have an old pre-paid one that my wife used which I'm going to reactivate for PAX.

Yeah, I never had one before because my 10$ tracfone was enough. Didn't really see the point when I was within 10 feet of my computer. I needed one to do stuff here though.

PAX is up in the air now. We're currently figuring out if both countries are going to tolerate me going back to the US and then back to Canada only 3 days afterwards.

Cortana: the ranged Flood forms make it so much worse. Even if you know how to beat them(Plasma Rifles at range) it's still such a monotonous task dealing with them.

The Library: It is infinitely respawning Flood. No mission can be any worse. Fun fact: It's the only FPS Halo campaign mission that I have never beat on Legendary. I usually quit when I reach the first elevator and say "Fuck this. I'm not dealing with 3 more floors of this shit."
You just described why I liked it lol

Slaker117

I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys The Library. I understand why people hate it, and it's not exactly stellar level design, but I liked having a segment of condensed, frantic, run-n-gun gameplay. It goes on for just a bit too long, but it's a good pattern break and I consider it a core part of the whole Halo: CE experience.

Yeah, I never had one before because my 10$ tracfone was enough. Didn't really see the point when I was within 10 feet of my computer. I needed one to do stuff here though.

PAX is up in the air now. We're currently figuring out if both countries are going to tolerate me going back to the US and then back to Canada only 3 days afterwards.
Why would that be an issue?
I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys The Library. I understand why people hate it, and it's not exactly stellar level design, but I liked having a segment of condensed, frantic, run-n-gun gameplay. It goes on for just a bit too long, but it's a good pattern break and I consider it a core part of the whole Halo: CE experience.
It's certainly not my favorite mission, but I don't mind The Library either. CE weapon sandbox is fucking magic and makes the Flood infinity more enjoyable to fight than in any other Halo game.

The one thing I want to know is if the thing pictured at the end of the halo concept art video is the promethean knights or if it's something else

I will be disappointed if it is the knight lol

I saw this post earlier, but I didn't get a chance to respond until now. In any case, it seems as if the enemy hinted at in the video is indeed the Promethean Knight. Seeing the images side by side just makes the similarities all the more obvious, especially with the tiny arms present in both pictures. :)

Just my luck! Bottom of the page.

GG guys
Though I hate jumping into MLG after playing Arena/TU :/

Steely,
I got your invite as soon as the game loaded :( Looked for you afterwards, but you had already logged off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom