• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

willow ve

I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys The Library. I understand why people hate it, and it's not exactly stellar level design, but I liked having a segment of condensed, frantic, run-n-gun gameplay. It goes on for just a bit too long, but it's a good pattern break and I consider it a core part of the whole Halo: CE experience.

I love The Library too - my favorite level of any Halo campaign.

Can I ask why you're listening to the audio book when you've already read it? I'm genuinely curious.

18990964.jpg

But Halo 2 overall was better at conveying a sense of adventure and exploration.

Delta Halo has the best scenery and architecture of anything I remember from the Halo series.

No invisible barriers every 5 feet also allowed you to not only approach combat from unorthodox positions but also escape levels completely.

Will never forget climbing the mountains on Delta Halo with a Ghost... spent 5+ hours just going everywhere.
But that's crediting the game for being able to go where the developer never intended the player to go. Delta Halo is an awesome location, no doubt, but the majority of the level is spent inside, away from that grandness. It has that openess, but the level makes use of it in a very linear fashion. Delta Halo also trips over itself in its first half if you take the tank. It suffers from that same cramped problem that Kizingo Boulevard has.

Consider the battle in front of the cartographer in The Ark. There's this unimaginable, grand waterfall surrounding the Ark's massive forge that serves as a backdrop for one of the largest encounters in the game. Levels like The Ark and The Covenant are small when they need to be and large when they want to be. They're very organic like that.
I'd agree to an extent, Halo 3 did have some huge scaled encounters which were great, but there is still something in the entire combination of Halo 2, including level design that has that huge sci-fi epic/mysterious feel that isn't really matched in the other games.
Maybe because you spend more time in Halo 2 on alien structures. Half of Halo 3 you're on Earth – not the most interesting of locations – but you're fighting on the outskirts of the Ark's portal for half of that, and there's a plenty of continuity between levels, like being able to make out Crow's Nest in Tsavo Highway and The Storm. I think stuff like that really adds to the sense of scale, and a particular one at that. Usually you don't have the same skybox across two levels. The closest I think that does this, besides ODST, is Halo 2's New Mombasa levels, but that's not the alien structures you're talking about.

willow ve

There's not minding the library.

There's even liking the library.

But favorite level? Cmon son.

It boils down to nostalgia. I played the Halo CE campaign dozens, if not more than 100 times. My younger brother and I spent an entire summer of gaming doing speed runs throughout the campaign.

Library was the level that we kept finding ways to shave minutes (or sometimes mere seconds) off of our best times. (Yes, we played with a stopwatch).

Of all the levels in CE we played through Library the most. Brought back a shit ton of good time memories when I played through again on CE:A for the achievements.

m23

bs angel was taking question yesterday for the bulletin today.

Where is it?

I'm at the point where don't even expect a weekly bulletin until Friday, even then I expect nothing new in it. I miss Bungie's updates where thry actually talked about development of the game.

Fuchsdh

<---- Inheritor does this for a living. Laughs with the lobby cuz irony.

I get the joke, but I've heard it so many times, it's just dumb now

I'm with you. Inheritor mostly means you play Reach more than any other game; Over nearly two years it's not surprising people have it.

Best co-op shooting gallery.

I must've said this four times now.

There is much truth in this. I'd love a runthrough of a Library in a modern Halo game with four players, enemies (Flood, Sentinels, whatever) pouring through all parts of the galleries; maybe add some verticality in the routes you can take.

What's sad is I didn't realize until CEA that there were little arrows point the right direction even in the original version. All those times I felt confused I just needed to look at my feet.

I'm with you. Inheritor mostly means you play Reach more than any other game; Over nearly two years it's not surprising people have it.

I don't have a choice half the time. biggy yells at me and insults me when I play other games. Maybe now that he's addicted to H4, he'll calm the f down.
Who's on teh halo now or in like 10 mins?

<--- This guy?

EDIT: I have to stop watching MAN play Super Meat Boy first. This is hilarious.

Tried doodling the new armor abilities in Reach's style and in 3's more simplified style:

S1cB4.png

The Library isn't that much of a hassle when you realize you can literally skip 99% of the combat in the second and fourth (final) floors just by crouch-jumping. Nothing fancy, no clipping through map walls, just plain cheesing it by taking the wrong direction. The only thing you have to deal with is that giant wall of flood at the very end (when the door to the fourth floor opens and all the combat forms rush through). After that, just gotta hop to the elevator.

Aggrotek

GGs guys. Our MLG games always come down to like 2 or 3 kills... I shall have vengeance upon my teabaggers.

Yup. It's one of my favorite levels to replay -- yes, across the entire series. It's the only Flood level I really like.
You don't like Cortana?

Tried doodling the new armor abilities in Reach's style and in 3's more simplified style:

S1cB4.png

these are great. especially thruster and hard light shield. looks like the truster guy is on fire, and the HLS guy is like "nananana you cant get me behind my puny shield." lol.

also what do you mean jetpack [343 version]? not sure i understand.

oh and btw tourney team: i got internet back today, so i can play in any tourney games now.

Maybe because you spend more time in Halo 2 on alien structures. Half of Halo 3 you're on Earth &#8211; not the most interesting of locations &#8211; but you're fighting on the outskirts of the Ark's portal for half of that, and there's a plenty of continuity between levels, like being able to make out Crow's Nest in Tsavo Highway and The Storm. I think stuff like that really adds to the sense of scale, and a particular one at that. Usually you don't have the same skybox across two levels. The closest I think that does this, besides ODST, is Halo 2's New Mombasa levels, but that's not the alien structures you're talking about.

Probably part of it, as I've said I find humanity in the Halo series to be quite dull, and a lot of their environments in the games are pretty dull as well. Halo 3 only has 2 missions (The Ark and The Covenant) that capture that huge other-worldly sci fi/mystery quality.

EDIT: Wolves playing Reach tonight? Got mah beer and I need to finish this Breaking Bad ep then I'll get on for some hunting.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably already been asked, but what will the pistol reload animation look like while holding the flag and pistol?

Blissful

Neo Member
Damn they are bringing jetpacks back? That AA in my opinion is almost as bad as armour lock. A lot of players took advantage of it in Arena (the only ranked playlist in reach -.-) and used it to get to high areas (out of map zones) that gave them a huge advantage. Jetpacks just causes players to exploit certain areas in the map and I would hate to have to wait a whole month for the Matchmaking Team to fix it.

senador

Banned
Fucking hell yes!

7/18/12 Bulletin said:
Will any 343-created Forge maps be released into matchmaking alongside the 10 regular maps? - Link1201

We won’t be putting Forge creations in the “main” matchmaking areas initially, at least. Certainly Forged variants may go in (rules, the odd object placement) eventually, but we’re still discussing how to promote and enable Forge creations in a way that maintains a separation of that kind of content from the main mix.

Yeeeeeesssssss. This pleases me.

Homeboyd

Fair warning; if you're browsing the OT, stay the FUCK out of the the "in memory of stickers on car windshields" thread.

Don't say I didn't warn you when you inevitably go look.

CTF looks to be Yellow vs. Green and Oddball looks like Purple vs. Orange. Any reason behind this? - Xx Overkill VR

Those are the current colors, based on stuff like map palette content, color blindness, all sorts of reasons, but they&#8217;re also simply the colors from the build that was ready at Comic-Con, so don&#8217;t be shocked if that changes.

Interesting

CyReN

Will we see more Armor Abilities than those already revealed, as well as different secondary weapons besides the Pistol and Plasma Pistol? - u4iX

You have not seen all of the weapons yet. We have not fully exposed all of the Armor Abilities yet.

Yay.

Will we see more Armor Abilities than those already revealed, as well as different secondary weapons besides the Pistol and Plasma Pistol? - u4iX

You have not seen all of the weapons yet. We have not fully exposed all of the Armor Abilities yet. - bsangel

images

- EDIT -

lmfao CyReN^

senador

Banned
Fair warning; if you're browsing the OT, stay the FUCK out of the the "in memory of stickers on car windshields" thread.

Don't say I didn't warn you when you inevitably go look.

Well this just makes me curious... Context?

Interesting

I sort or expect to see red and blue in final build. Is the thought there would be different colors for object to indicate you are playoff something different from slayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom