• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Boss battles don't work in FPS games. Halo 2's was terrible... Didn't even make sense.

In Halo boss battles need to be like the Scarab battles but just a bit more complex and with more tiers, like part 1,2 and 3 instead of just 1 part like we got with the Scarab battles.

Woorloog

Banned
Promethean Knight Vs. Brute Chieftain(H3) who'd win?

Halo 4 needs epic Boss battles. With Didact and maybe Precursor that should raise the bar immensely.

Halo 2's Tartarus boss battle is a good example but was horizontal throughout the end, until you mix a Banshee for shenanigens made it amusing.

Huh, you're the only other person here who thinks boss battles are fun.
Nice to see i'm not alone.
Liked Halo 2 boss battles though they were a bit too difficult and it was a real shame there were no alternate ways to deal with them really, not counting the Banshee glitch.

Did anyone submit your Sanctuary? that was a great map.

Its been sitting in there for a while.

Word is that it is a demanding addition since it would require replacing Asylum it would take longer to go through testing.

I see little reason why it shouldn't replace it entirely as it solves all the performance problems of the original, is MUCH cleaner and is balanced b/c the cliff is walled off.

Budget and item count is not something that can be scrutinized since it uses much less pieces than Asylum.

Its a new benchmark for 4 player split.

Best bet is it makes it in the August update, but most likely not.

Frankie just say yes to Refuge.

I've just grown weary of it by this point. I have yet to see a video that has decent audio with continuous footage and decent gameplay. The closest we have is the B-roll stuff from E3, but that had terrible audio and wasn't a mission play through, so it was hard to get a feel for the mission.

But then again, part of me hopes they don't show too much more Spartan Ops before launch. I think I just want one good video of the mission they're showing off.
I am hoping it too. But I will do a blackout after I played the game myself at PAX Prime.

I spend 12+ hours a day browsing every Halo forum and looking at all the content that is out there so I question how much the community leads really contribute other than their leadership role/role model status but even then it is also quite sketchy.

You spend MORE THAN 12 hours a day browsing Halo forums? Really? REALLY???

Trey

I posted this in the tourney thread, but I'll say it here also: my team needs a fourth against Team Plywood this Friday at 8:30 pm EDT. Any brave souls up to the task?

I have to say, fighting the Antlion Guard in Half Life 2 was one of my favorite experiences. Being in those small, claustrophobic tunnels with that beast on the hunt for you was thrilling. That's probably why I enjoyed Resistance 3's boss battles against Satan so much. A great boss battle really requires the correct environment in my opinion.

Beckx

Halo 4 needs epic Boss battles. With Didact and maybe Precursor that should raise the bar immensely.

No. Please no.

I can't think of a single boss encounter in a FPS that I've liked. They generally turn into miserable games of "drain shield, boss jumps off and summons minions or whatever, drain shield again, etc."

Take
Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3
. Easily the worst fights in the game (though really everything that involved that guy sucked). IMO Reach got this right.

I'm assuming you mean traditional bosses, not just enhanced AI opponents operating under the same rules as the player, like Xan in Unreal Tournament.

I loved the Scarab battles in H3 though.

I don't think of the Scarabs as bosses, really, any more than I do Elite Generals or the like. I suppose it's a pretty arbitrary line.

Edit: I thought of a good example for what I mean, from Bioshock. Big Daddies aren't really bosses, but the miserable Atlas fight is a boss fight. I think of Scarabs as being like Big Daddies, not Atlas.

Exactly, boss battles don't work in FPS games.

The one thing that really impressed me about CE at the time was how it handled the game progression. Everything really made sense in terms of how weapons were distributed to how the enemies were fought. You didn't have this buildup of weapons where you started off with a dinky pistol and your arsenal would gradually get more plentiful and stronger, and it didn't plop you into a room at the end of a section to circle strafe a bullet sponge.

No school, no job, its the summer, tis my hobby, healthy, good shape, workout every day, dont see the problem with it.

So if sit in front of my house with a can of paint and a brush all day did I just spend 12 hours painting my house?

If I sit at my desk with my tax return in front of me all day did I just spend 12 hours doing my taxes?

I get that you were trying to make your argument sound stronger, but be at least somewhat realistic about how much time you are actively participating in the community. Especially if you are going to make supposedly serious claims about the ethics of other members of the community.

You disagree with it because you lack the possibility of it actually being any good in Halo 4 or any other sequel that may follow.

Not being rude but that's true.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I posted this in the tourney thread, but I'll say it here also: my team needs a fourth against Team Plywood this Friday at 8:30 pm EDT. Any brave souls up to the task?

I'm out of the tourney, if no one else cares/wants in I'll do it. If I'm off work. Which I should be.

Also, anyone still playing? I may get on.

So if sit in front of my house with a can of paint and a brush all day did I just spend 12 hours painting my house?

If I sit at my desk with my tax return in front of me all day did I just spend 12 hours doing my taxes?

I get that you were trying to make your argument sound stronger, but be at least somewhat realistic about how much time you are actively participating in the community. Especially if you are going to make supposedly serious claims about the ethics of other members of the community.

I'm not gonna lie it is quite sad how much time I spend but it in no way was an exaggeration at all.

Sure people will judge me for how much time I spend doing this and be like "oh he has no life" but I don't care. I do it because I enjoy it and it hasn't caused me any problems IRL.

I expect the amount of time I spend to go down drastically as I get older but as it is now I'm a junior in college and have a lot of free time. I almost entirely gave up on gaming b/c Reach was so unenjoyable but then I got into hardcore forging and through extension custom games and it is a much better experience. I would have been long gone but since then I have invested even more time than before.

Practicing map design and exercising game theory interests me since that is the field I plan on making money in so it makes sense to surround oneself with it. Granted I could get a generic job and play less but I feel that I can make a considerable amount of money in this field relatively soon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm out of the tourney, if no one else cares/wants in I'll do it. If I'm off work. Which I should be.

Also, anyone still playing? I may get on.
Elzar, Dax, ImperialInPeril and ME (!!!) are online right now. Playing some Halo 3. JOIN US.

Boss fights work in Metroid Prime because they force to use a specific ability. Metroid had always the Zelda-like dungeon principle. You come to a new area, do some stuff and get a new ability. This ability is significant for the fight.

Resistance's boss fights work because they are heavily scripted. Yes, you can use nearly every weapon you picked up until that point, and yes, the fights look great. But they are to linear. No freedom in the fight. You are doing the same pattern at the end. Boring after the third play. (And I like Resistance 3 a lot)

If 343i can create an impressive boss fight without restricting the open sandbox gameplay, show it to me. But at the end I prefer fights like the Scarab. They were like "boss encounters".

Anyone want to play Reach or Halo 3?
I could be online in a few.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I spend
too many
hours a day on GAF.

Elzar, Dax, ImperialInPeril and ME (!!!) are online right now. Playing some Halo 3. JOIN US.
Will do, I'll be on 10.

Beat me to it. If we go by this metric, just at work today I'm going to spend about 9.5 hours on HaloGAF because I have a tab open that I check once an hour or so (usually) between work, meetings, etc.

<--- Community leader confirmed.

Edit:
Practicing map design and exercising game theory interests me since that is the field I plan on making money in so it makes sense to surround oneself with it. Granted I could get a generic job and play less but I feel that I can make a considerable amount of money in this field relatively soon.

That term. I don't think it means what you think it means.

daedalius

Scarab battles are essentially boss battles done right for an FPS, especially Halo. If Halo 4 has "boss battles," they need to be in the same vein. And I hope we do have them like that.

Yea, I'd prefer this over a traditional boss fight; even if it was like Metroid. Although like Hyper said, don't know if the Metroid boss design would even work in H4 at all.

Beat me to it. If we go by this metric, just at work today I'm going to spend about 9.5 hours on HaloGAF because I have a tab open that I check once an hour or so (usually) between work, meetings, etc.

So what is the metric then?

Obviously it is entirely different situation when you casually browse HaloGAF periodically throughout the day.

I have 12 tabs open and am constantly browsing between forums and I have 2 monitors running xboxes right now as I am forging and need reference points.

Woke up at noon today and will stay up to about 2 am, some P90X in between there and TV in the background and it certainly adds up to 12hrs.

Prometheans are boss battles in themselves, to be honest. They call in as many Crawlers as they want to distract you and pressure you, they call in Watchers to counter any of your tactics at getting close/doing damage to them, and when shit hits the fan, they charge you like crazy.

It's also fun to have a Promethean distracted by your teammates and you think "sweet, I'll just sneak up behind him and get an assassination" only to have the Promethean smack you in the face with his elbow going "NOPE" as you go flying 20 feet across the play space.

I see them being very similar to Hunters albeit much harder to kill and more bad ass.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Prometheans are boss battles in themselves, to be honest. They call in as many Crawlers as they want to distract you and pressure you, they call in Watchers to counter any of your tactics at getting close/doing damage to them, and when shit hits the fan, they charge you like crazy.

It's also fun to have a Promethean distracted by your teammates and you think "sweet, I'll just sneak up behind him and get an assassination" only to have the Promethean smack you in the face with his elbow going "NOPE" as you go flying 20 feet across the play space.

Talents

Banned
Yeahhhhhhhhhh Neogaf is back up, crap with HaloCouncil down aswell, went on waypoint for the first time in ages and I get suspended within 20 minutes because I wrote this to someone trying to flame me

'You were a commander grade 1 on Halo 3, you couldn't wreck a bit of paper.'

You can't even retaliate to people on there...

Beat me to it. If we go by this metric, just at work today I'm going to spend about 9.5 hours on HaloGAF because I have a tab open that I check once and hour or so (usually) between work, meetings, etc.

<--- Community leader confirmed.

Based on the Overkill metric: we're all Halo Community Leaders now.

Beckx

Resistance's boss fights work because they are heavily scripted.

Hyper, I don't even know you anymore! But I haven't played Resistance so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I think the Metroid thing is an outlier b/c they are still going for an action game feel.

There is one way to do boss battles in H4 that would be awesome: steal from Demon's Souls' Old Monk battle and bring in a player to run the final boss.

went on waypoint for the first time in ages and I get suspended within 20 minutes because I wrote this to someone trying to flame me

'You were a commander grade 1 on Halo 3, you couldn't wreck a bit of paper.'

You can't even retaliate to people on there...
those jerks

Slaker117

Again something like that but more complex and more tiers would be an amazing boos battle.

I think the scarab battles work because they aren't broken up in strict tiers. In a game like Halo where your movement and actions feel like they are governed by something resembling real physics rather than restricted by rigid, designed mechanics, contriving reasons for tiered encounters is jarring. The way you take down a scarab is in line with how fighting stuff usually works in the game; It lets you approach it directly with whatever sandbox items are around. Making you fuss around with different stages of a fight doesn't make as much sense in the gameplay context of Halo.

willow ve

To be fair it makes sense for Objective to be increased to 5v5 since there is a lot of down time when it comes to spawns and running the flag or w/e but not all gametypes translate well.

For instance bomb and flag may work with the increase to player count but not so much KoTH and Oddball.

Either way they made Team Objective 5v5 without changing the settings which in turn makes it clash with the player count.

I disagree. Maps will benefit greatly from always being designed for 4v4 (or 8v8 ... 12v12 if we're dreaming).

When you throw in the arbitrary 5v5 objective or 6v6 squad slayer you suddenly have maps that are being shoehorned into a game that they weren't originally intended for. You can't honestly say that small maps, designed for 4v4 (like Guardian, Narrows, or even Powerhouse) would benefit from adding a 5th player to each team for oddball, king of the hill, etc. They would become crowded clusters.

Conversely if you put 6v6 on a Big Team map you end up with minutes of just running around looking for something to shoot and/or the objective becomes much easier to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom